Favourite Royal Tiaras 1

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, dear people a tiara is always a tiara, particularly with regard to all the goodies put on display in this thread. My problem is I want all of them and can wear none of them. Sigh!!! As for the wave tiara not being very attractive, I must respectfully disagree. The thing is Drop Dead Gorgeous and with the right parure would be a total knock out. I hope I have not shocked the members too much but according to Mr. Munn (aka the Prophet) the whereabouts of the said item are unknown. This quite often means such an jewel has been melted down and the stones sold and put to another use but then maybe not. When I posted that missive I was hoping against hope that I would scare the thing up, instead it seems I scared some people instead. It may just be stuck off in somebody's bank vault and will show up someday. I certainly hope so.

Any woman wearing the thing would look stunning, unless she were Beatrix of the Netherlands and buried the thing in her hair or rather have the think swallowed up in her hair. I have often thought that the noble B should simply shave her head and get a good wig.

As for not yet having the bible (ie the Prophets book on tiaras) in one's possession do not feel bad or ashamed. The thing is fabulous but it costs a fortune. I have been wavering between my lust for it and my lust or greed and love of money. some idiot here stole the library copy and so there no other to be found. but one can certainly understand an uncontrollable lust to have that book where Tiaras: a history of splendor is concerned. Life is hard. Cheers. Thomas Parkman

Fear not Thomas, I have recovered from my initial shock re the possible destruction of the wave tiara but I still hope that some billionaire will dust it off and wear it someday or just invite me over to get a closer look at it. Sigh:p A girl can dream can't she?!
As far as getting Munn's book-I have put it on my wish list and told the hubby where to purchase it and if that doesn't work I'll buy it for myself!;)

I love the Fringe Tiara that King Carl XVI Gustaf gave to Queen Silivia for their tenth wedding anniversary. Now it is mainly worn by Princess Madeleine. It looks wonderful on her IMO. To me, it's such a pretty and classic tiara (actually a converted necklace). I like that it has dual function. A picture of Madeleine wearing this simple but gorgeous tiara can be seen in my profile. :)

The Connaught Diamond Tiara is also very beautiful! It seems to be a favorite of Queen Silvia's.

Someone posted a pic of this tiara a early on in this thread. This is part of the parure of Queen Theresa of Bavaria, picture taken from the book Crown Jewels of Britain and Europe by Prince Michael of Greece. I had another photo showing the FULL parure but do not know what the dickens I have done with it (incl. a jewelled hair comb, along with a few other bits and bobs).
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/fraxales/ParureQueenTheresa.jpg

I just have a question, I love coronet type tiara's and I was wondering why they haven't come back? I know this isn't a very good picture of what I'm talking about but it's the only modern one I could find. http://images.google.com/imgres?img...toria+beckham+wedding&svnum=10&hl=en&lr=&sa=G
source: Ananova.com
http://www.david-beckham.net/gallery/David_and_Victoria/Wedding_Shot.jpg
source: david-beckham.net

I would like to see a modern princess wear a similiar version of this tiara worn. Hopefully someday.:rolleyes:

Vile! It looks like something out of "The Lord of the Rings".

But there are one or two coronets about and I too see nothing wrong with women wearing them. Come to think of it, we should go back to the days when men/male sovereigns wore one, too!

Similar tiara: Bavarian ruby diadem
http://community.webshots.com/photo/83455776/1083584211044637837GLixAT

Sweden heavy and big Braganza tiara
http://community.webshots.com/photo/83455776/1083590019044637837UQdeUr

Spanish maybe not heavy but big Fleur-de-lis tiara
http://community.webshots.com/photo/84251320/1084652322044637837DkpeVk

One of Russian tiaras: diamond&pearl-shaped pearl diadem
http://community.webshots.com/photo/76999178/1079725594044637837dskdgH
and heavy (about 2,4 kg) Great Imperial Crown made for the Empress Catherine II in 1762
http://famousdiamonds.tripod.com/greatimperialcrown.jpg

fraxales said:
Vile! It looks like something out of "The Lord of the Rings".

But there are one or two coronets about and I too see nothing wrong with women wearing them. Come to think of it, we should go back to the days when men/male sovereigns wore one, too!
I know, that one isn't very good looking, but it was the only one I could use to illustrate what I was talking about. I do like the size though:) that's about it. I hope a princess or future Queen would wearing something like that, though not with the lady bugs and gold flaps sticking up. Maybe something in white gold with diamonds kind of like the last pic Magnik posted "Great Imperial Crown made for the Empress Catherine II". Thank you Magnik and Australian for posting those pictures.

I'm a new member and for my first posting I'd like to say "thank you" to all of you. This forum is amazing......full of wonderful information and fabulous photographs. I have to admit, I'm addicted to anything having to do with royal jewels, so I'm finally in the right place! And I find that almost all of my questions have been answered in the postings. What more could a girl ask for?? Thank you all again.

Saphire Kokoshnik

Marengo said:
Thanks Warren, it is such an amazing tiara!! Did Queen Marie buy it from her sister Ducky or was the Yougoslav one (the emerald kokoshnik of Queen Marie of Y, daughter of Queen Marie of R) the one they bought from the Grand Duchess? I remember a story that Queen Marie of Y had a hard time giving the tiara up & give it to her daughter-in-law & she locked the thing up in a safe of a London bank. I cannot remember the full anecdote though (can anybody else?).

It's a saphire kokoshnik that queen marie of roumania bought to sons of gran duchess vladimir of russia. At the death of queen marie, her daughter, princess ileana, inherited the tiara that sold in 1948 to Cartier.
The emerald tiara by queen marie of Y bought to gran duchess marie pavlovna the younger, daughter of gran duke pavel and princess alexandra of greece. The tiara was given by her aunt, gran duchess elizabeth fiodorovna (inicially it's a gift of her husband, Serge), when marie pavlovna married with prince william of sweden in 1908.
**Sorry, but my english it's very bad.

some of my favorites:
swedish saphire tiara
wesminster kokoshnik tiara
pictures from book: Tiaras a history of splendour

The Westminster kokoshnik is gorgeous. The translucent blue filler adds a lot to it.

gogm said:
The Westminster kokoshnik is gorgeous. The translucent blue filler adds a lot to it.

Does somebody happen to know what material the filler is made of? The tiara looks gorgeous! :)

Westminster Tiara

Maxie said:
Does somebody happen to know what material the filler is made of? The tiara looks gorgeous! :)

The "filler" is blue enamel and is not translucent.

my favorite is of course the George IV state Diadem. The same one QEII wore in the beginning of the coronation.

OK so I was on Getty images and I found a few tiara that i really liked and so i thought I would share them with you guys (and let me just say right now that I'm sorry if some of these are already on here, but oh well. And let me also say that I really don't know the names of these tiaras I just know the names of the people wearing them. anyways!)

1. H.M. Queen Elizabeth

20ijel3.jpg
20ijm2a.jpg

2. Princess Birgitte(?), Duchess of Gloucester (did I spell that right?) Anyways, I can't really seem to find a close up picture of the tiara, so these are kinda the best ones I can find.

20ijf3o.jpg
20ijhvo.jpg

3. Princess Mary of Denmark. I think I might have actually seen this one a few pages back but I'm not that sure.

20ijiq9.jpg

4. HM Queen Sofia of Spain.

20ijl05.jpg

5. Princess Louise, Duchess of Fife. OK I know this picture is some where on these forums, I'm not sure if its in this thread or not but I thought I would share this one too.

20iju52.jpg

Well if anyone has any info on these tiaras I would be more then happy to receive any.

(Source: Getty Images Hosted: tinypic.com)

I love the Hanover Fringe, the Swedish sapphire tiara, and the Norwegian emerald one.

Well, if I can't have the Fife (sob), I'll take the Strathmore Rose. It's unique and I love the symbols of the flowers behind it.

tiarastrathmorerosecloseup.jpg

Tiaras: A History of Splendour, Geoffrey Munn

I love the strathmore tiara. Did the Queen Mother leave it to the royal family or is back in the hands of the countess of strathmore. Its an excellent piece.

The Strathmore Rose tiara was given to the queen mother by her father on the occasion of her wedding. It is private property in the hands of the royal family. I wouldn't be suprised to see it being worn again soon (hope, hope). Princess William anyone???;)

Well good people when all the world is sad and dreary turn to RF and we are back to some truly drop dead gorgeous contraptions. The sun is shining and life is good again, even if it is hot as forty hells where I live. Juust about my favorite is the Westminster Princess Catherine B spinel tiara. I just wish they had done it in sapphires. then there is the Fife tiara (I can hear Warren, MN LS groaning "here does that lunatic Thomas again") which is just fabulous. We have looked long and hard dear acid rain to find an up to date picture of it to no avail.

Then there is the Desiree Clary parure worn by the DDG Princess Mary, which always revives ones spirits. I have to control myself and do only a restained and dignified droll when in public. I am so grateful to you, dear AR for finding another photo of the marvelous duchess of Glouchester in Princess Louise Cartier Indian Tiara. it really is a sight to see.

As for QEII, I do not really care very much for either of the two goodies she is wearing above. I wish one could post a photo of her wearing that fabulous Dehli Durbar necklace and the Princess Vladimir tiara set with the Cambridge emeralds. Now there is a knockout!!!! Like a dessicated weed dying of thirst in the desert I would have cooling waters poured upon me and I would be revived. Cheers. Thomas Parkman

Emeralds!

Thomas Parkman said:
As for QEII.. I wish one could post a photo of her wearing that fabulous Dehli Durbar necklace and the Princess Vladimir tiara set with the Cambridge emeralds. Now there is a knockout!!!! Like a dessicated weed dying of thirst in the desert I would have cooling waters poured upon me and I would be revived. Cheers. Thomas Parkman
One could, Thomas.​

EIIR: Grand Duchess Vladimir Tiara with Cambridge Emeralds
and the Ladies of India Necklace, plus brooch
pic courtesy the Corbis agency

6b38379f.jpg

Thomas Parkman said:
As for QEII, I do not really care very much for either of the two goodies she is wearing above. I wish one could post a photo of her wearing that fabulous Dehli Durbar necklace and the Princess Vladimir tiara set with the Cambridge emeralds. Now there is a knockout!!!! Like a dessicated weed dying of thirst in the desert I would have cooling waters poured upon me and I would be revived. Cheers. Thomas Parkman
And here's another picture to add to Warren's​

20kt4wk.jpg

pic originally from http://www.royal.gov.uk
and yes it is a shame that no one can find a newer picture of the Fife tiara :(

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom