Diana's Jewels: Potential Division Between William and Harry

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Unfortunately, I wouldn't look for anything anytime soon. :sad:

:previous: I think Diana would have left them to the Queen if that was her desire. Obviously it was not and she left them to her two sons to divide as they saw fit.

These are personal items and will become the property of William and Harry's wives unless their husbands retain ownership and allow their wives the use of them as is the case with Princess Mary of Denmark and the famous Ruby Parure.

Either way it seems that the collection will be halved and, looking to the future, William's wife will have access or a vast amount of jewellery that will not be available to Harry's wife. How that impacts on the division of the collection is anyone's guess.

I suppose that Diana left her property to her sons, assuming that she would outlive her mother-in-law!

I agree. The Halo Scroll is a small but very beautiful tiara. It didn't shine at the wedding because it looked too small for the veil. But with no veil, it will look great contrasting with her dark hair.

I wouldn't go for a very elaborate updo though. Hair tied, obviously, but something simple, to make the tiara stand out, otherwise, the wedding problem happens again.

Kate has occasionally been seen with her hair swept into a full bun at the nape of her neck - and very lovely it looked too. That style would suit a tiara when she needs to wear one. I just hope she doesn't wear it with her hair loose - it just gets in the way and starts to look messy, IMHO.

Given that we are now starting to see some of Diana's jewels on her daughters-in-law, we could use this thread to discuss how we would like to see the jewellery divided.

Might I request that the Mods to move conversations elsewhere (Duchess of Sussex jewellery thread) here please, thank you

My suggestions for splitting:

CATHERINE
Sapphire choker
Saudi sapphire parure

MEGHAN
Emerald and diamond earrings and matching bracelet
Pearl and diamond pendant earrings
Omani sapphire suite
Aquamarines

Last edited:
This should be a good thread. And needed for sure. I would think the delicate smaller pieces would suit Meghans build rather than anything big and chunky. JMHO.
There are lots of very nice pieces for both Kate and Meghan.

Last edited:
Have we done a complete list of what we know Diana has in her collection? Not just what she's worn, but things that should be in her collection. Back in those days, gifts received on foreign visits are hers to keep.

very dated now, IMO.

I very much doubt that any of the late Princess' jewels have been broken up and/or reset.
Why would her sons, [inheritors] do so ?
Resetting is an expensive and tricky business, especially if there is no wearer's particular style to take into account. Single Men are unlikely to have bothered...
Now both Dukes have wives, resetting may now happen, in line with their preferences, but I REALLY hope the 7 string Pearl choker, with the huge Sapphire remains intact, as it was one of Diana's most worn pieces, created expressly for her, and [as such] should be regarded as an 'heirloom' item...

None of the rest of her collection is of any especial note [either in design, nor quality of the stones], so 'redesign to your hearts content, Duchesses'..

Last edited:
William has been married to Kate for seven and a half years now. If the choker with the huge sapphire was in Kate's portion I think that length of time is more than long enough to decide if a pearl choker is your thing or whether you would prefer something else.

I remember Diana, and loved her in that particular piece. It was stunning IMO. However, the fact is that young(ish) women in their thirties don't wear pearl chokers any more. Is this particular necklet and ones like it to gather dust in a vault until both women are in late middle age and they might fancy wearing it?

Neither Kate nor Meghan seem to be women who like wearing large pieces of jewellery anyway. The smaller, more delicate necklaces and earrings seem more their style.

Last edited:
I can imagine an arrangement in which William gets a few pieces and Harry the rest. After all: William's wife, the future Princess of Wales, the future Queen, will have access to an unbelievable amount of jewels.

But all by all Diana's jewels were pretty subdued to royal standards: no parures, no diadems, only personal jewelry. Meghan can make good use of it.

Last edited:
The Saudi rulers gave Diana a large amount of jewellery as gifts didn't they, including parures? And in those days, as noted above, they didn't have to be declared as official gifts and returned to the vaults.

I can't see the daughters in law wearing these grander sets of jewels, esp Meghan. Kate may have to do so at times, as future Queen...

The sapphire choker will be so overwhelming on both Kate & Meghan due to its large setting. And agree with Curryong this piece is too "mature" for them.

But I can see Kate makes a good use of the smaller pearl chokers from Diana in future as she looks nice with the Japanese Pearl Choker from the Queen. Not sure Pearl is Meghan's thing or not, she gives me a feeling that she prefers materials with colour (gold, coloured stone), hope to see her use more pearls in future.

So far what did they inherit from Diana? Sapphire engagement ring, pearl diamond earrings and 3 row pearl bracelet for Kate, aquamarine ring and butterfly earrings for Meghan?

Last edited:
Kate - sapphire engagement ring, drop pearl and diamond earrings, pearl and diamond bracelet, sapphire earrings and she wears the pearl and diamond tiara that was loaned to Diana by the Queen

Meghan - 2 diamonds from a brooch belonging to Diana in her engagement ring, aquamarine ring, butterfly earrings, gold bracelet

Last edited:
They didn't inherit anything from Diana. Their husbands inherited Diana's jewels and have given their wives varous things. Kate got Di's engagement ring and Meg's engagement ring is apparently made from a ring or ornament of Diana's....

Kate - sapphire engagement ring, drop pearl and diamond earrings, pearl amd diamond bracelet, sapphire earrings and she wears the pearl and diamond tiara that was loaned to Diana by the Queen

Meghan - 2 diamonds from a brooch belonging to Diana in her engagement ring, aquamarine ring, butterfly earrings, gold bracelet

How can I forget the gold bracelet, she just wore it couple days ago:wacko:.

Kate's sapphire earrings: May I ask what's that? I don't remember it. I have a bad memory.:bang:

If you check the link posted by Curryong, you would see Kate's sapphire day earrings.

How can I forget the gold bracelet, she just wore it couple days ago:wacko:.

Kate's sapphire earrings: May I ask what's that? I don't remember it. I have a bad memory.:bang:

Diana had a lot of sapphires, I think they were her favourite stones. I read somewhere that she didn't like emeralds.. and that Charles did not realise this. Perhaps she thoguth that they were unlucky...though they did IMO suit her very well...

This may be of interest. It's a site dedicated to the gifts given by rulers of the Gulf States over the years to members of the BRF, including Diana. And these may include parures.

Chez Chiara: Saudi Royals' Gifts of Jewellery to British Royals

The Swan Lake set was never purchased by Diana. It was in the process of being finished when she died. She only wore it once, to the Swan Lake ballet premiere. Afterwards the jewellers who made the suite sold it to an American I believe. It came on the market again only recently.

Last edited:
I just read the Sun article (thanks Terri Terri and Curryong!) and I don't think Kate's earrings look like the sapphire earrings from the Saudi parure :confused:? Kate's is faceted and surrounded by 9 round diamonds (plus 1 on top) while the Saudi one is cabochon and surrounded by 10, maybe she has modified a lot?

It looks like Diana had a number of sapphire earrings, some (all?) of which were adaptable. I see larger and smaller earrings in the photos.

I have always liked the Omani crescent necklace.

ThThe Swan Lake set was never purchased by Diana. It was in the process of being finished when she died. She only wore it once, to the Swan Lake ballet premiere. Afterwards the jewellers who made the suite sold it to an American I believe. It came on the market again only recently.

I see, I was surprised that It would be sold..but it never belonged to her in the first place, clearly….

This article is riddled with factual inaccuracies, but here goes,nevertheless.....

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...wels-left-boys-Meghan-Kate-proudly-shown.html

No kidding, right off the bat it is inaccurate. It says the Spencer tiara has not been seen since Diana’s death-but in fact it has been. Most recently Celia McCorquodale wore it at her wedding in June.

Edit-Interesting, the article has now changed and the references to the Spencer tiara seem to have been removed.

Last edited:
If you check the link posted by Curryong, you would see Kate's sapphire day earrings.

I just read the Sun article (thanks Terri Terri and Curryong!) and I don't think Kate's earrings look like the sapphire earrings from the Saudi parure :confused:? Kate's is faceted and surrounded by 9 round diamonds (plus 1 on top) while the Saudi one is cabochon and surrounded by 10, maybe she has modified a lot?

You are correct W.Y.CII, the sapphire and diamond earrings that Catherine wears do not appear to be any of the pairs that Diana wore in public. Apart from the more obvious point about the cabochon vs faceted stone, the earrings that Catherine wears are in a much older setting than the relatively modern settings of the sapphire earrings that Diana wore. My sense is that Catherine's were either purchased by William or Charles at the time, or were from HM's vaults.

Back
Top Bottom