Diana's Jewels: Potential Division Between William and Harry

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Fact is that neither Kate or Meghan may want the majority of Diana's jewelry. That jewelry may in fact be saved for the children of William/Harry. Some of Diana's jewelry, as pointed out, was costume (apparently Diana said she got a kick out of wearing it) and not likely kept. The real pieces ..some of those are not very modern/wearable with today's fashion and both boys seem to have married women who are not into big pieces (outside specific events) or wearing much jewelry at all.

We've seen Kate wear..3 or 4 items that were Diana's. We've seen Meghan wear a couple I think. That may be all we ever see them wear. Either way..I don't think Meghan is getting scraps or it's being divided unfairly. Division (their version) was worked out long ago between William and Harry.

LaRae

Whether Catherine and Meghan choose to wear them or not, the jewels will need to be divided up between them. What is to their taste, they can use. The rest can either be reset in styles that work for the ladies concerned, or just be stored for their respective children.

As I said..I believe any division was decided some time ago by William and Harry.

LaRae

Is there a reason they can't just share the jewelry no dividing it?

I think both women have their own personal jewelry and Diana's for the

most part will be used as extra every now and then.

I've always thought that Kate should have all the sapphires (since she is the one with the sapphire ring).

And then Meghan should have everything else.

That won't happen, since Kate has already worn the pearl earrings and bracelet. But it seems like it would be an equitable division.

I don't believe that Diana directed her jewellery to be left in any particular way, did she? In her will, she just divided her property between the 2 sons.. equally, so roughly speaking Wil and Harry should get half shares of the jewels for their wives.... but probably as K is the future queen, she may get more of the grander pieces. Of course she will also have access to the royal jewels.. but so will Meghan be able to use them as the King/Queen wishes///

Unless we are speaking of the grandeur pieces that went back to the vault, unlikely. Meghan will have as many chance to attend state dinners in the next few decades as Kate as long as she’s able. I don’t see why more of the grandeur pieces from Diana’s personal pieces would go to Kate. She’ll have more access to the vault, and leaving Meghan with fewer options.

The earrings at the Fiji state dinner are giving me hope that The Duchess will bring the bling when the occasion calls for it. Too bad her late mother in law didn’t care much for chandelier earrings.

For all we know, William and Harry may decide that the best thing to do with some of Diana's pieces is what Diana, herself, did with her gowns. Auction them off with the proceeds going to a joint cause under the Royal Foundation's umbrella.

We'll just have to watch and see what pieces appear in public. Keeps us on our toes. :D

For all we know, William and Harry may decide that the best thing to do with some of Diana's pieces is what Diana, herself, did with her gowns. Auction them off with the proceeds going to a joint cause under the Royal Foundation's umbrella.

We'll just have to watch and see what pieces appear in public. Keeps us on our toes. :D

I would be surprised if the jewellery was sold. The clothes were sold when she was alive. I would be surprised if the boys would be keen to part with items that personally belonged to her, irrespective of what the sale proceeds were likely to be used for.

I would be surprised if the jewellery was sold. The clothes were sold when she was alive. I would be surprised if the boys would be keen to part with items that personally belonged to her, irrespective of what the sale proceeds were likely to be used for.

I agree. If they haven't sold it for two decade while it laid somewhere, I doubt they'd do it now.

Yeah I can't see why they would sell much of thteir mother's jewels.... Possibly a few things might be donated for a charity auction - I think Di would have liked that - but to sell most of her jewellery???

I've always thought that Kate should have all the sapphires (since she is the one with the sapphire ring).

And then Meghan should have everything else.

That won't happen, since Kate has already worn the pearl earrings and bracelet. But it seems like it would be an equitable division.

Unless pretty much 50% of Di's jewellery was sapphires, then I don't see how it would be equitable for K only to get sapphires and M to have everything else...

:previous:
Yes, but Kate will be the Queen!

Meghan will be about the same level as the Countess of Wessex. So she'll need some nice pieces of her own, while Kate will have a vast collection to choose from.
So- in that sense it would be equitable.

And I do think Diana had more sapphires than any other jewels.

Last edited:
Meghan will Im sure be lent pieces from the Royal collection, as required...

I doubt all sapphire are going to Kate. Other members of the family are allowed to wear sapphire too. The fact that not none of Diana's other sapphire (the earrings Kate worn has been discussed, it's a close version of Diana's, but not exact) have showed up in 7 years should be telling. And I think all of the suites Diana had are of sapphire. I doubt all suites will go to Kate.

Always think the theory of "future queen should get more big pieces" is quite, strange, if you ask me. They inherit their mother's jewels and divide them simply based on "My (your) wife will be future queen so I (you) should get the grand pieces"? I think they just pick some jewels they like, or are special to themselves, rather than consider its significance or grandeur.

Is there a reason they can't just share the jewelry no dividing it?

Yes. Why can't they share?

I think they will divide some of her jewels, and share some, and keep some in their own "foundation" for their own children to use in future.

Putting up for auction may be a nice choice too I think, especially for these dated costume jewels.

Last edited:
whoever is queen will probably need more grand jewels.. though neither K nor Meg IMO has the presence right now to carry off very grandiose sets of jewellery… Meg will of course go to tiara and big jewel events but they will probably be a bit less than Kate does..and In any case the numbers of such events is going down as the world changes.
I certainly don't think they will sell any of the jewels, they can always be remodelled to suit modern taste...

whoever is queen will probably need more grand jewels.. though neither K nor Meg IMO has the presence right now to carry off very grandiose sets of jewellery… Meg will of course go to tiara and big jewel events but they will probably be a bit less than Kate does..and In any case the numbers of such events is going down as the world changes.
I certainly don't think they will sell any of the jewels, they can always be remodelled to suit modern taste...

And Kate will have plenty of options to pick from in the vault. Why would it need to be supplemented by all or most of Diana's grandeur pieces?

[...] Times change, as do people. As she gets access to bigger and more valuable jewellery, we may see her style evolve to incorporate the larger pieces. [...]

Exactly. Two days ago we saw a royal with 17th C thickstone diamonds in Buckingham Palace. The girl from Buenos Aires probably never imagined this in her younger years. Catherine and Meghan are in exactly the same situation. They will get access to jewels which will completely baffle them.

Last edited:
And Kate will have plenty of options to pick from in the vault. Why would it need to be supplemented by all or most of Diana's grandeur pieces?

I don't see why she should not get a reasonable share of her mother in laws jewels....

If there has been division, I believe that has already happened long before both Kate and Meghan came into the picture. Back then, with the understanding that William would be King and his potential wife would have access to The Queen jewels, I believe Harry possesses already the bigger share of their mother jewelries.

Both are her sons and I don't see why one of them inherit more/all grand pieces is reasonable. Being the King doesn't mean he should get the grandest pieces from his mother by default.

That would be up to them since it belongs to William/Harry (unless they gift it).

LaRae

I don't see why she should not get a reasonable share of her mother in laws jewels....

And I don't see why she should get all the grandeur pieces. Or even most of them.

Both are her sons and I don't see why one of them inherit more/all grand pieces is reasonable. Being the King doesn't mean he should get the grandest pieces from his mother by default.

Meghen doesn't seem to be one for wearing very large pieces, and she isn't likely to be going to as many events as kate will.. so why would she want the bigger pieces?

Meghen doesn't seem to be one for wearing very large pieces, and she isn't likely to be going to as many events as kate will.. so why would she want the bigger pieces?

It may not be a case of Meghan wanting or needing the larger pieces, it may be what Harry wants her to have.

Dividing up something as intensely personal as jewelry has a huge emotional load. I suspect that whenever the division took place, if it already has, both Harry and William had/will have a huge amount of input, and that their memories and associations will/have weighed into that.

......sorry I don't think they need it or not really matters a lot. Why would he say no to his mother's legacy simply because his wife doesn't need it? It is his mother's legacy. It is not only about his wife but more about him. He is her son so he deserves to inherit it even if in fact he doesn't need it. I don't mean William should not get the grander pieces, but I don't think William should get most/all grander pieces just because he is the future king.

And while I agree Meghan will not have as many events as Kate, she still need some for these she needs to attend especially when she is the daughter-in-law of the monarch.

Uh, I would reserve judgement on Meghan and bigger pieces until we see more formal events. We've had instances where she brings it home on the bling front even thus far. And just because Kate might go to more, doesn't mean Meghan won't be going to MANY as well.

I think very grand jewellery is wasted on boht of them, frankly. Kate looks her best in delicate small pieces....

I think very grand jewellery is wasted on boht of them, frankly. Kate looks her best in delicate small pieces....

I agree with you on this. But of course it may be different when they are middle-aged.

^ And I disagree..

The Duchess of Cambridge now 'carries off' staggeringly magnificent jewels as though 'to the manner born', [altho' it took her a few years to acquire the confidence needed]..
Her look at this weeks Dutch State banquet in those sensational Pearls PROVED it, and she looked just as good in the Greville Ruby necklace at the Spanish State visit Banquet a year or so ago..
Hopefully the Duchess of Sussex will acquire the same ability, given TIME..

Back
Top Bottom