Diana's Jewels: Potential Division Between William and Harry

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you take away the gifted jewels that Diana received in her role as then consort to the Prince of Wales ("GJ"), Meghan could have a share of those that remained. What proportion of the remaining jewels she could potentially receive would depend on how large / valuable the collection was, or what each of the boys chose to keep for themselves as part of the legacy from their mother.

Muriel as you are clearly much better up on al this issue than I am, can I ask if you can clarfy whether the gifted jewels would have been considered diana's in the sense that she could will them to W and Harry or anyone she chose? Her Will didn't mention individual items, so we dont know for sure?
I think that if you exclude the "gifted jewels that Diana received in her role as then consort to the Prince of Wales", then what remained, however valuable or not so valuable, should be evenly divided between Will and Harry and then their wives would have access to half of the jewels. If Kate gets access to the ones in the Royal collection, that is because she is the future queen. If Meghan does not get access to the ones in the Royal collection, that's up to the queen surely?

Muriel as you are clearly much better up on al this issue than I am, can I ask if you can clarfy whether the gifted jewels would have been considered diana's in the sense that she could will them to W and Harry or anyone she chose? Her Will didn't mention individual items, so we dont know for sure?

Little is actually known about the exact arrangements put in place either at the time of the divorce or her death shortly thereafter, or in her will, and I am only setting out what I believe to be the case. Others may hold a view contrary to this, or may have access to better information to base their judgement on.

I think the "gifted jewels that Diana received in her role as then consort to the Prince of Wales" would all have either been added to the Royal Collection, or held by the "main line" as a way to protect them from potentially being sold or used in any way that might create a diplomatic incident. If you follow that logic, then I can see Kate and Geoge's wife having access to those jewels, but not Meghan, Charlotte or the wives of Louis and Archie.

I think that if you exclude the "gifted jewels that Diana received in her role as then consort to the Prince of Wales", then what remained, however valuable or not so valuable, should be evenly divided between Will and Harry and then their wives would have access to half of the jewels. If Kate gets access to the ones in the Royal collection, that is because she is the future queen. If Meghan does not get access to the ones in the Royal collection, that's up to the queen surely?

I agree with this.

This collection of jewels will not be insubstantial, and will include, amongst other things, the Delhi Durbar emerald choker, emerald and diamond drop eareings and bracelet from Charles, the sapphire and diamond centred pearl choker, the aquamarine ring and earrings etc etc.

L

I think the "gifted jewels that Diana received in her role as then consort to the Prince of Wales" would all have either been added to the Royal Collection, or held by the "main line" as a way to protect them from potentially being sold or used in any way that might create a diplomatic incident. If you follow that logic, then I can see Kate and Geoge's wife having access to those jewels, but not Meghan, Charlotte or the wives of Louis and Archie.

I agree with this.

This collection of jewels will not be insubstantial, and will include, amongst other things, the Delhi Durbar emerald choker, emerald and diamond drop eareings and bracelet from Charles, the sapphire and diamond centred pearl choker, the aquamarine ring and earrings etc etc.

I think that you're right.. if there was a caveat that Diana could not sell or lend the "gifted jewels" during her lifetime, then I suspect that they might not be considered her personal property to will anywhere she chose...
I am sure that Charles gave her some valuable jewellery, and the 2 sons are not going to be without some valuable items. We have seen Meghan wearing the aquamarine ring and her engagement ring is apparently from diamonds that Diana owned..

I think that you're right.. if there was a caveat that Diana could not sell or lend the "gifted jewels" during her lifetime, then I suspect that they might not be considered her personal property to will anywhere she chose...
I am sure that Charles gave her some valuable jewellery, and the 2 sons are not going to be without some valuable items. We have seen Meghan wearing the aquamarine ring and her engagement ring is apparently from diamonds that Diana owned..

I am sure some will feel hard done by with any such arrangement, but this is what makes the most sense to me.

As far as I have read from articles at the time of Diana's death. All gifts received , even in her role as Princess of Wales, were her personal property. Period. No caveat about keeping in the main line, etc. That had not been made a policy yet. So, unless anyone has news to the contrary, everything she received as a gift was hers, and hers alone, and was divided between her children. This includes the Lover's Knot and , the durbar choker. There is no proof that they reverted to the queen. That is only speculation. But again, in the time period, gifts were gifts and did not have caveats placed on them.

Last edited:
I didn't think that the Lovers Knot tiara was hers, I thought it was part of the Royal collection...

As far as I have read from articles at the time of Dian's death. All gifts received , even in her role as Princess of Wales, were her personal property. Period. No caveat about keeping in the main line, etc. That had not been made a policy yet. So, unless anyone has news to the contrary, everything she received as a gift was hers, and hers alone, and was divided between her children. This includes the Lover's Knot and , the durbar choker. There is no proof that they reverted to the queen. That is only speculation. But again, in the time period, gifts were gifts and did not have caveats placed on them.

The Cambridge "Lovers' Knot" Diadem was given into permanent loan to the Princess of Wales, from the Queen. Just like the Spencer Diadem was a permanent loan from the Earl Spencer.

When the Duchess of Cambridge debuted the Cambridge "Lovers' Knot" Diadem, it was communicated that it was a loan to Catherine by the Queen.

Therefore we know that the "Lovers' Knot" was never owned by Diana and indeed was returned to the owner / custodian of the royal collection (the Queen).

Frowhat I recall reading but I assumed at some point her sons went thru what they were left and discarded what they didn't want to keep or pass down.

We know Meghan's engagement ring was in part from diamonds left by Diana to her sons. We've seen both Kate and Meghan wearing some well known pieces of Diana's collection. How they split it all up is unknown.

LaRae
I doubt if they discarded anything (Unless you mean the costume jewellery)..

I doubt if they discarded anything (Unless you mean the costume jewellery)..

They could of discarded or sold any "real" pieces they didn't care for...or even dismantled them down to the jewels. Diana's diamonds used for Meghan's ring came from somewhere. The BRF have done quite a bit of dismantling of set pieces in the past.

LaRae

The Cambridge "Lovers' Knot" Diadem was given into permanent loan to the Princess of Wales, from the Queen. Just like the Spencer Diadem was a permanent loan from the Earl Spencer.

When the Duchess of Cambridge debuted the Cambridge "Lovers' Knot" Diadem, it was communicated that it was a loan to Catherine by the Queen.

I would like to see an official link to that statement please. Not a Daily Mail link or something. Thank you.

They could of discarded or sold any "real" pieces they didn't care for...or even dismantled them down to the jewels. Diana's diamonds used for Meghan's ring came from somewhere. The BRF have done quite a bit of dismantling of set pieces in the past.

LaRae

Probably they did remodel some pieces, such as to make M's ring... but I dout if they discarded anything. THese jewels are very costly.. and they harldy need the money so I doubt if they'd sell them...

Probably they did remodel some pieces, such as to make M's ring... but I dout if they discarded anything. THese jewels are very costly.. and they harldy need the money so I doubt if they'd sell them...

I don't know...the BRF have done some weird things (to me!) when it comes to selling/dismantling of jewelry! The only way we will really know is if they make a statement (never going to happen) or we eventually see them worn again...if we live so long! Look how long it took to see some of Queen Mary's gems!

LaRae

I don't know...the BRF have done some weird things (to me!) when it comes to selling/dismantling of jewelry! The only way we will really know is if they make a statement (never going to happen) or we eventually see them worn again...if we live so long! Look how long it took to see some of Queen Mary's gems!

LaRae

I quite agree that they might well dismantle some pieces, to make others.. but I can't see them actually discarding anything. Possibly Will and H did just leave the costume jewellery or it ended up in a skip somewhere, as it wasn't costly.. and they probalby had no sentimental attachment to it. But Im sure Di's expensive ornaments which their wives did't like much, are still in a vault somewhere and may be remodeled later. I can't see W and H selling their mother's jewels.. if for nothing else than it would be better to keep them in case there IS a rainy day...

As far as I have read from articles at the time of Diana's death. All gifts received , even in her role as Princess of Wales, were her personal property. Period. No caveat about keeping in the main line, etc. That had not been made a policy yet. So, unless anyone has news to the contrary, everything she received as a gift was hers, and hers alone, and was divided between her children. This includes the Lover's Knot and , the durbar choker. There is no proof that they reverted to the queen. That is only speculation. But again, in the time period, gifts were gifts and did not have caveats placed on them.

There was plenty of commentary at the time of the divorce that she would have access to the royal jewellery for her lifetime, but she was not allowed to either sell it or lend it to anybody.

The "royal jewellery" was never defined, hence the lack of clarity as to whether it just included jewellery provided to her by HM or the Prince of Wales, or it also included items she received as presents in her role as then consort to the Prince of Wales.

The Spencer tiara was certainly on loan to Diana from her father, and then her brother. I do not know if it was a permanent loan though. Other ladies of the Spencer family have used the tiara, though not in Diana's lifetime.

LaRae

I am not sure why W&H would sell any of their mother's jewellery. If it is not to the taste of their wives, they could remodel it, or just leave it in the safe.

I don't know...the BRF have done some weird things (to me!) when it comes to selling/dismantling of jewelry!

The only piece of jewellery that I have heard of being sold by the "main line" royals was the sale of an amethyst parure by the Queen Mother, the necklace of which has since been seen on Anna Wintour at an event. Are you aware of any other sales?

Queen Mary, QEQM and QE2 have all remodelled or dismantled jewellery and reused the stones. To me, that is very much their prerogative, and I have no problem with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Other ladies of the Spencer family have used the tiara, though not in Diana's lifetime.
Victoria Lockwood wore the tiara when she married Diana's brother Charles in 1989. If I remember it correctly there were stories at the time about Charles and Diana falling out over her frequent use of the tiara when he felt it should be used by his wife only.

It's time to move on and get back on topic, the potential division of Diana's jewels.

My updated suggestions for splitting some of Diana's jewellery, removing any items that may be received as gifts to the consort of the Prince of Wales.

CATHERINE
Sapphire choker
Collingwood Pearl drop earrings (already used)
Pearl and diamond bracelet (already used)
Crescent shaped diamond earrings with pearl drop (used by Catherine at BAFTA 2019)
Ruby earrings with pearl drop (Pearl drop rumoured to be used by Catherine for BAFTA 2019)

MEGHAN
Emerald and diamond earrings and matching bracelet
Aquamarines: Ring, bracelet with pearls, drop earrings
Gold bracelet (already used in Australia)
Butterfly earrings (already used in Australia)
Gold Cartier Tank watch

Kate already has a very expensive piece in her possession, in 2010, the famous sapphire and diamond engagement ring. While Meghan gets no necklaces but some gold butterfly earrings! Really!

Kate already has a very expensive piece in her possession, in 2010, the famous sapphire and diamond engagement ring. While Meghan gets no necklaces but some gold butterfly earrings! Really!

I don’t see how the division of Diana’s jewellery is anything but personal choice between William, Henry and their respective wives. There’s no meaning behind who gets what, it’s who wants what.

In regards to necklaces specifically just because we haven’t seen Meghan wear something other than “ordinary” pieces from Diana’s collection doesn’t mean they haven’t been given to her to wear.

It’s very unlikely we’ll see Meghan in any of Diana’s stage occasion jewellery in public, but that doesn’t mean she doesn’t have it.

We know Catherine has the sapphire ring, can anyone remind me how Meghan’s ring came about? Was it brand new or using some of Diana’s pieces I genuinely can’t remember.

Meghan's engagement ring was new, designed by Harry. The centre diamond came from Botswana (3.5 carats) and was flanked by two smaller diamonds, from Diana's jewellery.

She will get an equitable share of the jewellery, in terms of value. As regards the exact items I imagine that it will be decided among the 4 of them. If Meg doesn't like a particular item, she may take it and alter or sell it if she wants.. or she may leave it...
As for Kate, I assume she does not look at her engagement ring, as a "valuable piece of jewellery"... worth X amount but as a token of love from her husband and a link with his mother.

Last edited:
My updated suggestions for splitting some of Diana's jewellery, removing any items that may be received as gifts to the consort of the Prince of Wales.

CATHERINE
Sapphire choker
Collingwood Pearl drop earrings (already used)
Pearl and diamond bracelet (already used)
Crescent shaped diamond earrings with pearl drop (used by Catherine at BAFTA 2019)
Ruby earrings with pearl drop (Pearl drop rumoured to be used by Catherine for BAFTA 2019)

MEGHAN
Emerald and diamond earrings and matching bracelet
Aquamarines: Ring, bracelet with pearls, drop earrings
Gold bracelet (already used in Australia)
Butterfly earrings (already used in Australia)
Gold Cartier Tank watch

> In my suggested split of jewels, amongst others, Meghan gets the emerald and diamond earrings and bracelet bracelet, as well as the aquamarine and diamond earrings, ring and bracelet.

> Happy for you to suggest a proposed split if you disagree with what I have put down.

Meghan's engagement ring was new, designed by Harry. The centre diamond came from Botswana (3.5 carats) and was flanked by two smaller diamonds, from Diana's jewellery.

Thank you! I genuinely couldn’t remember but it would have been surprising if Diana’s jewellery hadn’t featured in there at all.

Thank you! I genuinely couldn’t remember but it would have been surprising if Diana’s jewellery hadn’t featured in there at all.

Indeed. I understand it has since been reset by an LA based jeweller, though all 3 stones still survive in the ring.

If Diana's personal jewelry could not be equitably divided then I suspect that the brother who was shorted has / will be compensated.

Wikipedia has an articles on Diana's jewels (link) - yeah I know that it is not always 100% reliable. There is this website as well, Diana's Jewels.

If Diana's personal jewelry could not be equitably divided then I suspect that the brother who was shorted has / will be compensated.

Wikipedia has an articles on Diana's jewels (link) - yeah I know that it is not always 100% reliable. There is this website as well, Diana's Jewels.

Im sure it can be equitably divided. I suspect the 2 daughters in law may not care for some of the items in that they are more ornate than their own personal style.. but they can alter them. And Im sure its possible to sort out a fair division in temrs of value. If that's not possible, I agree that some kind of compensation can be made.. Its up to them....

It isn’t speculation, the Queen allowed Diana to wear the lovers knot as it belonged to the Queen and Diana did not bring it into her marriage so it was never hers. The Durbar choker came from the RF personal collection not Diana’s so it reverted back to the Queen after the divorce. The fact that those items are in the RF ownership shows that it was never “gifted” to Diana for free.

Back
Top Bottom