Catherine Middleton's Wedding Tiara: Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What Tiara will Catherine wear on her Wedding Day?

• The Girls of Great Britain and Ireland Tiara

Votes: 8 4.8%
  • The Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara

Votes: 19 11.5%
  • The Queen Mother's Scroll Tiara

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • The Strathmore Rose Tiara

Votes: 51 30.9%
  • The Spencer Tiara

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • The Fringe Tiara (aka George III Fringe Tiara)

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • The Rundell Diamond Tiara

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Something that has been hidden in the Vaults!

Votes: 33 20.0%
  • The Middletons will buy her a new one

• Nothing. She will either wear a jewelry clip or flowers in her hair.

• None of the Above

Votes: 2 1.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to think that William should design a tiara especially for Kate since unlike his mother, Kate is not coming from a family that has a tiara. I mean, Kate has no tiara to really claim as her own. You get me?

But now that William has given Kate his mother's sapphire ring, I think she should be given one by the Queen.

Are there not two diamond fringe tiara's belonging to the collection? (George III and the Lord Mayor of London's fringe necklace which was a wedding gift to the then Princess Elizabeth. I assume it could be placed on a frame?) Why not allow her the use of one? I don't believe the Queen has ever made any considerable use of her fringe necklace.
I don't know if the London fringe necklace was ever used as a tiara (to me it seems that it would not form a sufficiently tall tiara) but I am sure that there are more than one fringe in the BRF. I think that Queen Mary owned her own fringe tiara and that it ended up in the main's family vault and that there is also another fringe which was an inheritance from Toria. It is really difficult to identify fringes because there are the same design but the extended royal family certainly had many - Queen Mary had one, Louise, Princess royal had another, the Duchess of Connaught had a third , Mary, Princess Royal also received a fringe as a wedding gift and these are only the ones coming to my mind immediately, who knows if I have forgotten some.... It's a mess.:cool:
But to get back on Kate I think you are right that a fringe would be a nice wedding gift. It is substancial so she would not need to get other big pieces in order to bling, it's all diamond so she can match it will everything and it is a design with "clear", classic lines.

Last edited:
I can also see her getting a new piece like Fergie or a tiara made of other pieces like Sophie's.

Fergie's was lovely (maybe we'll see Beatrice in it one day) but I've never liked Sophie's one.

Maybe William can buy her a nice modern one since he's saved money on the engagement ring.:whistling:

But i'd LOVE to see Kate in the Fife tiara!

I would love to see Catherine in fringe tiara (they are my favorites) but I doubt that will happen since it seems to be a female line thing (The Queen Mum owned the tiara and QEII and the Princess Royal wore it) so it's likely to be for Zara or maybe Beatrice, Eugenie and Louise.

A floral tiara like the Strathmore. I really like the Greek Key tiara, but that belongs Princess Anne.

I think we're going to see Kate wear the Cambridge Lover's Knot tiara, as it was Diana's.
I thought Sophie has been wearing the Teck Circle tiara. http://cdn.wn.com/pd/99/af/6324f18c39b1ffee1fac3b5ff12b_grande.jpg
I'm not sure what happened to the Strathmore Rose tiara - would it still be in the Strathmore family?
There's QEQM's Scroll tiara, which I think would look lovely on Catherine, and the Teck Crescents and Stars tiara.
A fringe tiara might be too much, too overwhelming. Catherine is young - she should have a more delicate tiara.
The Greek Key tiara would be fabulous but it's Anne's now.

Last edited:
The Strathmore Rose tiara was a Wedding gift to the Queen Mother from her father

Last edited by a moderator:
I think we're going to see Kate wear the Cambridge Lover's Knot tiara, as it was Diana's.

Yes, I am rooting for this one too. Even more so in case William will get a title that is related to Cambridge. All in all it would be the perfect choice, as the tiara would be something that is related to Williams mother (the past) and to the couple itself (the future).

Yes, I am rooting for this one too. Even more so in case William will get a title that is related to Cambridge. All in all it would be the perfect choice, as the tiara would be something that is related to Williams mother (the past) and to the couple itself (the future).

God I hope not! It would be rather "overegging the pudding"!

The Rundell hasn't been seen in years, was made for a young woman and has a gorgeous necklace, brooch & earings to go with it. Apart from the tiara the rest of the set resided with the Queen Mother so the Queen & Charles may be keen for them to be renewed and reunited with the tiara. A lovely set with no "baggage"

Does anybody have a link to a picture of the much discussed Rundell tiara? I can't remember what it looks like. Was it last worn by Queen Alexandra?

I was also thinking of that one but didn't know it's name. I wonder if it is still in existance or if it was broken up for the stones. I don't think it has been worn since Queen Alexandra.

I'm rooting for the Strathmore rose tiara. Very delicate. I think it would look good on Catherine, especially since she doesn't seem to wear her hair up.

I'm rooting for the Strathmore rose tiara. Very delicate. I think it would look good on Catherine, especially since she doesn't seem to wear her hair up.

The Strathmore rose is a lovely tiara, but I had it down as one for Harry's wife, and not really William's wife. I would love to see one of the fringe tiara's reappear. I do hope the Cambridge Lovers Knot does not appear as a wedding tiara, but potentially one that Catherine can use in time.

No one wears jewels like Alexandra!

I do like that tiara...I don't recall seeing it any of the BRF jewel books. I will check again. So I am not sure it has been seen since Alexandra...maybe she gave it to her granddaughters....Alexandra and Maud of Fife? I remember reading in a book when Alexandra died, Mary and the other royal ladies spilt her jewels. So it might have gone to a relative.

No one wears jewels like Alexandra!

I do like that tiara...I don't recall seeing it any of the BRF jewel books. I will check again. So I am not sure it has been seen since Alexandra...maybe she gave it to her granddaughters....Alexandra and Maud of Fife? I remember reading in a book when Alexandra died, Mary and the other royal ladies spilt her jewels. So it might have gone to a relative.

Yes it was not seen since Alexandra. Could also have been broken up and the diamonds used for new Jewels.

My theory is that Diana, as a supposed future Queen, received a royal tiara for her wedding. She was going to be the mother of the future King, so her jewellery would be kept safe for future monarchs.
Sarah got something new, Sophie got something "cobbled together" and later the new aquamarine tiara: They were not going to be Queens, their jewellery would be passed down side branches of the RF.
According to this theory Catherine, as a future Queen, will receive a royal heirloom for her wedding. On the other hand I believe that something new might be purchased for Harry's future wife.

According to this theory Catherine, as a future Queen, will receive a royal heirloom for her wedding. On the other hand I believe that something new might be purchased for Harry's future wife.

I am broadly in agreement with your point of view, but I really dont think the Queen is keen to buy much jewellery. The reason I thought that the Strathmore Rose could go to Harry's wife is that it is a lovely light triara that does not have too much royal history or provenance, and could potentially, in time, leave the royal collection.

I am broadly in agreement with your point of view, but I really dont think the Queen is keen to buy much jewellery. The reason I thought that the Strathmore Rose could go to Harry's wife is that it is a lovely light triara that does not have too much royal history or provenance, and could potentially, in time, leave the royal collection.
You might be right, Muriel. But I am so keen to see the beautiful Strathmore rose tiara on Catherine, that I still hope she will get it. Anyway, by the time Harry marries the economy hopefully will be stable and booming again, so that buying a tiara will be ok again.

You might be right, Muriel. But I am so keen to see the beautiful Strathmore rose tiara on Catherine, that I still hope she will get it. Anyway, by the time Harry marries the economy hopefully will be stable and booming again, so that buying a tiara will be ok again.

Sure. I am sure Catherine will look lovely in the Strathmore Rose tiara.

The Strathmore rose is a lovely tiara, but I had it down as one for Harry's wife, and not really William's wife. I would love to see one of the fringe tiara's reappear. I do hope the Cambridge Lovers Knot does not appear as a wedding tiara, but potentially one that Catherine can use in time.

I was wondering if it was more suitable for Harry's wife, as William's wife is destined to be Queen, unless William and Kate's wedding will be deliberately scaled down a bit.

I think the Strathmore Rose tiara would be beautiful on Catherine, and that's what I'm rooting for. But I still think we'll see the Lover's Knot tiara at the wedding. I'll put Harry's wife down for QEQM's Scroll Tiara. As for the Rundell tiara, given the fact that it hasn't been seen since Queen Alexandra, and that Queen Mary liked to break up pieces she was bored with or didn't like and use the stones elsewhere, I'm guessing it's history!

I was rooting for the Strathmore as well, but I think I have moved on to the Teck Circle Tiara...of course she will be able to carry off either of them beautifully.

I am hoping also to see the Rundell in the light of day again, but I think you may be right about it.

Going to be a long few months until we see which it is.

Can anyone provide a link to a photo of the Strathmore Tiara? :)

I'm not sold on the Strathmore Rose tiara for Kate on her wedding day. I think for that day, she should go a little larger and more elaborate. She can carry it off, and with the right dress something with more substance would be gorgeous on her. This will be the first time we see her in a Tiara, and the the one day when it will be the most significant. Not the Lovers Knot Tiara, but something similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom