Catherine Middleton's Wedding Tiara: Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What Tiara will Catherine wear on her Wedding Day?

• The Girls of Great Britain and Ireland Tiara

Votes: 8 4.8%
  • The Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara

Votes: 19 11.5%
  • The Queen Mother's Scroll Tiara

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • The Strathmore Rose Tiara

Votes: 51 30.9%
  • The Spencer Tiara

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • The Fringe Tiara (aka George III Fringe Tiara)

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • The Rundell Diamond Tiara

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Something that has been hidden in the Vaults!

Votes: 33 20.0%
  • The Middletons will buy her a new one

• Nothing. She will either wear a jewelry clip or flowers in her hair.

• None of the Above

Votes: 2 1.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jewellery for Harry's bride

This is a very interesting thread, but I am dismayed that it is beginning to resemble the ABBA song, The winner takes it all.
Let's not heap everything on Catherine. She will have the use of/inherit a great deal of jewellery, so I think Harry's bride needs to be taken into consideration and not just get to wear the leftovers or what Catherine doesn't want. She could be an aristocrat, or a royal or a county gel. Whoever she is she needs to be considered. Or she could be Chelsy!!

Taree

The Scroll Tiara, the ear-rings are indeed perfect for Catherine. They would suit her. I dont know about the necklace for the wedding, but perfect for a more formal occasion as her set. I'd love to see her with that entire set. She'd look fantastic. Problem solved. What's to say against it?

If we are still talking about Frances Shand-Kydd's earings that Diana wore at her wedding we have know idea who inherited them or even if they still exist within the family. They could have been broken up or sold. Since Diana died before her mother I would say that they went to either Lady Jane or Lady Sarah so more than likely would not be available for Catherine.
As I have said before, the relationship between the royal family and the Spencers became very strained after Diana's funeral (thanks to Earl Spencer) so I can't see HM countenancing going cap in hand for pieces of jewellery when the BRF has so much.

Has the Londonderry Tiara been mentioned? Is it even available? I only recently stumbled across it in a search for other tiaras in the British vaults... beautiful piece!

Has the Londonderry Tiara been mentioned? Is it even available? I only recently stumbled across it in a search for other tiaras in the British vaults... beautiful piece!

The Londonderry title was created back in 1789 for the Baron of Londonderry and it eventually became the Marquis of Londonderry. There have been nine Marquis' of Londonderry. The tiara belongs to the Londonderry family and is not considered to be part of the vast number of jewels owned by Queen Elizabeth II. There are many families in Great Britain who own substantial jewels--the Queen doesn't have a monopoly on fantastic and important pieces. There are WONDERFUL pieces out there and I encourage you to explore this site: Mountbatten Battenberg Juwelen
Ursula (creator and owner of site) has meticulously catalogued the jewels of many of the titled families, including the Dukes of Albany, Argyll, Connaught, Gloucester (cousins of QEII), Harewood (cousins of QEII), Kent (cousins of QEII), Westminster (GORGEOUS COLLECTION OF TIARAS), the families of the children of Queen Victoria, the wedding gifts of Queen Mary, Queen Alexandra, Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother, Queen Elizabeth II, etc.... I think you will enjoy what else there is to offer in England!

This is a very interesting thread, but I am dismayed that it is beginning to resemble the ABBA song, The winner takes it all.
Let's not heap everything on Catherine. She will have the use of/inherit a great deal of jewellery, so I think Harry's bride needs to be taken into consideration and not just get to wear the leftovers or what Catherine doesn't want. She could be an aristocrat, or a royal or a county gel. Whoever she is she needs to be considered. Or she could be Chelsy!!

Taree

I couldn't agree more.

Taree said:

Taree

Actually I think there is a thread for that- :)

Camilla Parker-Bowles received the Delhi Durbar tiara, which was created for Queen Mary to her order by Garrard's for the Durbar ceremony in India. Originally a closed diadem worn on the top of the head, it was opened up and remodeled as a tiara for Camilla.
Diana had the use of her family tiara and thus did not need one for her wedding. Both Sarah and Sophie obviously needed one as they did not have a family one to draw on. Both tiara's are and will remain theirs.

Camilla Parker-Bowles received nothing! The Duchess of Cornwall received the Delhi Durbar to wear at her first State Banquet. It was not a wedding gift and whilst she has the use of it for life, it still belongs to the BRF collection as indeed does the Bucheron.

I am appalled that members of this forum, who should know better, can have wild fancies that would see even the Queen divested of her favourite tiara(s) should they take Catherine's fancy! This isn't a lollie scramble at a kids party and Kate will definitely not be appearing inappropriately bejewelled.

Bottom line. It is pretty well accepted that she will receive a tiara for her wedding and use thereafter. It will more likely be something like the Strathmore Rose (an absolute "gem" and historically well worth Restoration for an occasion such as this) or the Scroll if Anne has no further use for it. Further than that, at this moment she has no use for more than one and certainly not one of great import like the Girls of Great Britain or the Vladimir. When would she wear them? For dusting the furniture or weeding the flower beds? Her future husband has yet to attend any State "Tiara" events and with his flying schedule I don't think we will see it any time soon.

All the more reason why she should get a new one IMO. There is plenty of time to dust off the strathmore, scroll, or rose and crescent later. While I love the cambridge lovers knot, I just think it would be to much Diana to soon. :flowers:

diana had the use of her family tiara and thus did not need one for her wedding. Both sarah and sophie obviously needed one as they did not have a family one to draw on. Both tiara's are and will remain theirs.

Camilla parker-bowles received nothing! The duchess of cornwall received the delhi durbar to wear at her first state banquet. It was not a wedding gift and whilst she has the use of it for life, it still belongs to the brf collection as indeed does the bucheron.

I am appalled that members of this forum, who should know better, can have wild fancies that would see even the queen divested of her favourite tiara(s) should they take catherine's fancy! This isn't a lollie scramble at a kids party and kate will definitely not be appearing inappropriately bejewelled.

Bottom line. It is pretty well accepted that she will receive a tiara for her wedding and use thereafter. It will more likely be something like the strathmore rose (an absolute "gem" and historically well worth restoration for an occasion such as this) or the scroll if anne has no further use for it. Further than that, at this moment she has no use for more than one and certainly not one of great import like the girls of great britain or the vladimir. When would she wear them? For dusting the furniture or weeding the flower beds? Her future husband has yet to attend any state "tiara" events and with his flying schedule i don't think we will see it any time soon.

Well Said!

Diana had the use of her family tiara and thus did not need one for her wedding. Both Sarah and Sophie obviously needed one as they did not have a family one to draw on. Both tiara's are and will remain theirs.

Camilla Parker-Bowles received nothing! The Duchess of Cornwall received the Delhi Durbar to wear at her first State Banquet. It was not a wedding gift and whilst she has the use of it for life, it still belongs to the BRF collection as indeed does the Bucheron.

I am appalled that members of this forum, who should know better, can have wild fancies that would see even the Queen divested of her favourite tiara(s) should they take Catherine's fancy! This isn't a lollie scramble at a kids party and Kate will definitely not be appearing inappropriately bejewelled.

Bottom line. It is pretty well accepted that she will receive a tiara for her wedding and use thereafter. It will more likely be something like the Strathmore Rose (an absolute "gem" and historically well worth Restoration for an occasion such as this) or the Scroll if Anne has no further use for it. Further than that, at this moment she has no use for more than one and certainly not one of great import like the Girls of Great Britain or the Vladimir. When would she wear them? For dusting the furniture or weeding the flower beds? Her future husband has yet to attend any State "Tiara" events and with his flying schedule I don't think we will see it any time soon.

Fully agree with you. Catherine can be given access to the strathmore rose, scroll or the fringe tiaras. She really does not need more than one at this stage.

The scroll tiara would be lovely whether she wears her hair up or down. I noticed in recent posts references to the recent auction of the Portland Collection. The diamond, pearl and sapphire tiara are gorgeous and would complement Catherine's ring and beautiful eyes. Would there ever be a chance that Prince Charles would buy a piece of jewellery from auction for Kate or is it more likely that she would receive something from the Queen's collection?

http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/lot_details.aspx?pos=6&intObjectID=5388513&sid=

Last edited:
The scroll tiara would be lovely whether she wears her hair up or down. I noticed in recent posts references to the recent auction of the Portland Collection. The diamond, pearl and sapphire tiara are gorgeous and would complement Catherine's ring and beautiful eyes. Would there ever be a chance that Prince Charles would buy a piece of jewellery from auction for Kate or is it more likely that she would receive something from the Queen's collection?

THE PORTLAND ANTIQUE SAPPHIRE, DIAMOND AND NATURAL PEARL TIARA | Jewelry Auction</li> | Jewelry, tiara | Christie's
That's a beautiful tiara! It would look stunning on Kate!

A tiara could certainly be purchased at auction for Catherine as a wedding gift. The Poltimore Tiara was acquired in this manner as a wedding gift for Princess Margaret from The Queen.

THE PORTLAND ANTIQUE SAPPHIRE, DIAMOND AND NATURAL PEARL TIARA | Jewelry Auction</li> | Jewelry, tiara | Christie's

It is certainly possible that Charles (or HM) could acquire a tiara for Catherine, but in these difficult times, even if a tiara were to be acquired, I would be surprised if it were publicly worn for a few years.

Imo it is a possibility that Catherine will receive a new tiara for her wedding. But especially in these times of financial crisis it won't be a tiara with a price tag of £763,650 (the Portland tiara) all over the internet. If they buy a new tiara it will more likely be handled in the same way as Sarah's tiara, which was purchased very discretely and neither the prize nor the provenance are known publicly.
And I also doubt that Catherine will receive a first tiara with coloured stones which will limit her choice of dress colours.

First time poster/long time lurker.

I've read that the Lotus Flower (also known as the Papyrus? Is that correct that they're the same?) which Serena Stanhope Linley wore on her wedding day is "off the table". Is that simply due to it having been worn once in the past decade? What a shame if that's the case. Miss Middleton would look fabulous in it, I think, and it's just about the right size for a young bride.

My second choice for her would be the Scroll. It's also an appropriate size and design for a youthful bride. I do think we'll eventually see her in the Lover's Knot as I agree it was intended for William's wife eventually (and I'm talking more than 10-15 years here), but I hope not on her wedding day.

First time poster/long time lurker.

I've read that the Lotus Flower (also known as the Papyrus? Is that correct that they're the same?) which Serena Stanhope Linley wore on her wedding day is "off the table". Is that simply due to it having been worn once in the past decade? What a shame if that's the case. Miss Middleton would look fabulous in it, I think, and it's just about the right size for a young bride.

My second choice for her would be the Scroll. It's also an appropriate size and design for a youthful bride. I do think we'll eventually see her in the Lover's Knot as I agree it was intended for William's wife eventually (and I'm talking more than 10-15 years here), but I hope not on her wedding day.
Yes the lotus flower and the papyrus tiara are one and the same. Unfortunately, it belongs to Viscount Linley, so I doubt we will see it on Kate. I like it too.
The scroll would be okay, but i think I would rather she have something with more height for the wedding. The cambridge lovers knot would be perfect.......... if it weren't for the association with Diana. To much Diana to soon. :sad:

Yes the lotus flower and the papyrus tiara are one and the same. Unfortunately, it belongs to Viscount Linley, so I doubt we will see it on Kate. I like it too.
The scroll would be okay, but i think I would rather she have something with more height for the wedding. The cambridge lovers knot would be perfect.......... if it weren't for the association with Diana. To much Diana to soon. :sad:

I totally agree about the Lover's Knot...too much Diana too soon. I am leaning toward the Middleton's acquiring something or her being lent the Strathmore Rose or the Scroll.

AR

Thats what I say! have Kate's family or Prince Charles gift a new one. They can afford it . I don't think the Brit's can be too up in arms over a nice wedding gift .... can they?

Thats what I say! have Kate's family or Prince Charles gift a new one. They can afford it . I don't think the Brit's can be too up in arms over a nice wedding gift .... can they?
I'm not sure about big tiara for her like Portland but who knows... I mean she's tall but thin woman and big tiara can look ridiculous on her.
Btw how many tiaras the BRF really have including these very good known? Maybe it's time to refresh one of them and give it to Catherine?

I don't think this does belong to Viscount Linley. If it had been left to him he would have sold it! :ohmy:
It is my belief that on the deaths of Princess Margaret & the Queen Mother the piece was returned to the vaults at Buckingham Palace. It may well be that when/if needed (Probably when she becomes The Countess of Snowdon) it will be available to Serena. However, Lord Linley made enough money selling his mother's belongings to buy a tiara for his wife who, incidentally, is a heiress in her own right.

I'm not sure about big tiara for her like Portland but who knows... I mean she's tall but thin woman and big tiara can look ridiculous on her.
Btw how many tiaras the BRF really have including these very good known? Maybe it's time to refresh one of them and give it to Catherine?

A tiara the size of the Portland Tiara would look ridiculous on Catherine. She has a relatively small head and needs a smaller tiara, otherwise it will overwhelm her and look very old-fashioned. Even the Lover's Knot Tiara might not work. It is relatively large and heavy (Diana complained it gave her headaches, which is one reason why she was photographed wearing the Spencer Tiara more often).

The older tiaras that might be in the vaults (like the Rundell Tiara) were designed in an era where many royal and aristocratic women wore wiglets on their heads and are likely to be too ornate and heavy. The Scroll Tiara would be an ideal choice (assuming it's available as both Princess Anne and Princess Margaret borrowed it from The Queen). The Papyrus Tiara was a gift from The Queen Mother to Princess Margaret and wasn't included in the auction of her jewels, so it likely remains with Viscount Linley or Lady Sarah.

Otherwise, commissioning a new tiara from Garrard's would probably be ideal, as they did with The Duchess of York.

The Essex Tiara would be perfect but alas is not an option

I don't think this does belong to Viscount Linley. If it had been left to him he would have sold it! :ohmy:
It is my belief that on the deaths of Princess Margaret & the Queen Mother the piece was returned to the vaults at Buckingham Palace. It may well be that when/if needed (Probably when she becomes The Countess of Snowdon) it will be available to Serena. However, Lord Linley made enough money selling his mother's belongings to buy a tiara for his wife who, incidentally, is a heiress in her own right.

I think you are correct to be cross at Lord Linley because I was horrified that Princess Margaret's children sold her Annigoni portrait.

A tiara the size of the Portland Tiara would look ridiculous on Catherine. She has a relatively small head and needs a smaller tiara, otherwise it will overwhelm her and look very old-fashioned. Even the Lover's Knot Tiara might not work. It is relatively large and heavy (Diana complained it gave her headaches, which is one reason why she was photographed wearing the Spencer Tiara more often).

The older tiaras that might be in the vaults (like the Rundell Tiara) were designed in an era where many royal and aristocratic women wore wiglets on their heads and are likely to be too ornate and heavy. The Scroll Tiara would be an ideal choice (assuming it's available as both Princess Anne and Princess Margaret borrowed it from The Queen). The Papyrus Tiara was a gift from The Queen Mother to Princess Margaret and wasn't included in the auction of her jewels, so it likely remains with Viscount Linley or Lady Sarah.

Otherwise, commissioning a new tiara from Garrard's would probably be ideal, as they did with The Duchess of York.

I agree, but the Durbar was opened from a diadem to a (rather enormous) bandeau. Perhaps the Rundell or some other circlet could be opened and made less clunky?

AR

It was never decided that the D.Durbar was infact "opened up". In my opinion, it still remains an intact diadem. I don't really see Kate being as creative as the Swedes when it comes to jewelry, shame really, cause we cld use a bit more sparkle in the BRF. I've actually come to believe that Kate will wear the Cambridge Lovers Knot. Not at the wedding, but when she starts attending tiara events, I think that will be her go to. Though the stones are dull, the Strathmore would look pretty with a veil.

The Delhi Durbar diadem was definitely modified to be worn as a tiara for Camilla. There was a photo posted somewhere of her turning her head slightly in the car while wearing it showing it was no longer enclosed.

The royal collection of jewels sitting in the vault unused is said to be enormous, so I'm sure any number of pieces could be modified to practical use as a tiara for Catherine, assuming the cost of Garrard's doing the work is worth it versus just buying her a newly-designed one.

The Delhi Durbar diadem was definitely modified to be worn as a tiara for Camilla. There was a photo posted somewhere of her turning her head slightly in the car while wearing it showing it was no longer enclosed.

The royal collection of jewels sitting in the vault unused is said to be enormous, so I'm sure any number of pieces could be modified to practical use as a tiara for Catherine, assuming the cost of Garrard's doing the work is worth it versus just buying her a newly-designed one.

I thought so...The Durbar had such straight sides in Mary's time and it is definitely angled now.

post-2-1130514710.jpg

You may be right about the Lotus flower tiara. If thats then case, then I think that might be a good choice for Kate on her wedding day.

Viscount Linley made her that beechwood tiara which is quite charming, but if I were Serena, I would have wanted the Poltimore. The Beechwood is a poor substitute for the Queen of tiaras.... the Poltimore. Trageddy that it was sold........:bang:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom