British Jewels: Suggested Changes

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

muriel

Imperial Majesty
City
London / Guildford
Country
United Kingdom
I thought we could let our creativity loose in one place for any suggested changes to the jewels of the British royal family.

[Mod. Note: the 2nd part of this post has been copied from the thread 'Swedish jewels: suggested changes']

But the ruby Parure which was changed by Mary can be changed back to it's original form with the ecxeption of the tiara.
I think i found it quiet strange when i read in the Queens Diamonds that Queen Mary even broke up Jewels she had got as Wedding gifts to make other Jewels out from the diamonds and pearls who sometimes (the fringe tiara for example) resembled Jewels she had already for her use.

You are right, the tiara cannot be converted back and the changes to it are permanent. I view the changes that Mary made as quite positive, it makes the tiara far more suitable for her. I also think the changes to the earrings and necklace make them far more wearable for her.

As regards Queen Mary's changes, fact is that a lot of royal ladies have made changes. Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother altered a tiara she received from her husband, the resultant tiara is the Lotus leaf / Papyrus tiara used by Princess Margaret, and more recently, Catherine. QE2 herself broke up the Nizam tiara to make the Burmese Ruby tiara.

IMO, these things are of no use if the user cannot adapt them to suit their needs. You cannot be a hostage to history for all of these things. The lineage of the jewels is important, and IMO, any changes made sympathetically ought to be adaptable. That said, hypothetically speaking, I would not condone Camilla breaking up Queen Victoria's small diamond crown to make a necklace for herself. However, if she had it remade to fit her better, I think that would be perfectly acceptable. After all, the Imperial State Crown has been remade several times in its history.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are right, the tiara cannot be converted back and the changes to it are permanent. I view the changes that Mary made as quite positive, it makes the tiara far more suitable for her. I also think the changes to the earrings and necklace make them far more wearable for her.

As regards Queen Mary's changes, fact is that a lot of royal ladies have made changes. Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother altered a tiara she received from her husband, the resultant tiara is the Lotus leaf / Papyrus tiara used by Princess Margaret, and more recently, Catherine. QE2 herself broke up the Nizam tiara to make the Burmese Ruby tiara.

IMO, these things are of no use if the user cannot adapt them to suit their needs. You cannot be a hostage to history for all of these things. The lineage of the jewels is important, and IMO, any changes made sympathetically ought to be adaptable. That said, hypothetically speaking, I would not condone Camilla breaking up Queen Victoria's small diamond crown to make a necklace for herself. However, if she had it remade to fit her better, I think that would be perfectly acceptable. After all, the Imperial State Crown has been remade several times in its history.
I agree with you. The bad part is we won't know if the queen doing the changes will make it better. Often it does. But then we have the Nizam-Burmese spectacle. Hurts me every time I see it.... Such a bad decision!

I would love to see some relatively minor alterations made to Queen Elisabeth's Burmese ruby tiaras. I think interspersing the ruby roses with a few diamonds would considerably lighten the rose and improve the design, and potentially address quite a lot of the criticism the tiara currently attracts.

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Tiara Thursday: The Burmese Ruby Tiara
Great initiative

I agree. I would love making it more tiara like and less the crown style it is today.

Great initiative

I agree. I would love making it more tiara like and less the crown style it is today.

Not that it is for me to suggest to HM of how a tiara might be worn, but I think it could appear less "crown like" just by changing how it is worn. If worn further back and at an angle, it would appear a lot more tiara like, IMO.

When Camilla went to the Dutch inauguration dinner, she wore the Greville tiara a lot further back than she usually does. To me, it looked very different, and a lot less formal than usual.

Last edited:
Not that it is for me to suggest to HM of how a tiara might be worn, but I think it could appear less "crown like" just by changing how it is worn. If worn further back and at an angle, it would appear a lot more tiara like, IMO.

When Camilla went to the Dutch inauguration dinner, she wore the Greville tiara a lot further back than she usually does. To me, it looked very different, and a lot less formal than usual.
That might be true. And I understand why QEII made this tiara because that shape seems to be her preferred one. I just have a really hard time liking that format.

What would be really nice if they would have another emerald tiara apart from the Vladimir tiara with the emerald drops. Perhaps they could break up one of the several emerald necklaces to make a tiara out of it.
I weould also restore the Lovers Knot tiara to it's original state and put the upright pearl spikes back on it.

I think it would be nice just to see the Lovers Knot tiara again.

The aquamarine tiara could do with some improvements as well. But at the moment I have no good idea how to achieve that.

I'm happy with the Burmese as it currently stands, but a sprinkling of diamonds in the roses sounds lovely..

My MAJOR gripe is the lack of a sapphire tiara worthy of the name.. I wish they'd flog the 'pretend' tiara/necklace atrocity, and use the money for some decent sized cabouchon drops to dangle from the Vladimir [and add as detachable spikes to the GGBI...

Or [better still] badger the Harewoods for the return of Prince Alberts masterpiece...

For this [and the next reign], the Aquamarine tiara is fine [Camilla will really 'work' it], but I cannot imagine Catherine in it.

Last edited:
The Aquamarine, IMO, can be improved by removing the large stone in the front.

I can see Camilla wearing one of the fans on either side of the large stone as a brooch.

If all the top parts are removable then it would look nice on Kate or Sophie with their hair worn up.

The matching necklace needs to stay in the vault or made into separate brooches. Each aquamarine section should be a separate necklace or a separate brooch.

Last edited:
What a beautiful tiara!

I always thought the Cambridge Pearl tiara would looks absolutely breathtaking if the pearls were replaced with dangling rubies.
Oh, that sounds pretty! *Writes down on my mental inspiration list*

I think they would have great use of having loose pendants. Maybe the same pendants could be used on both those tiaras?

The Aquamarine, IMO, can be improved by removing the large stone in the front.

I can Camilla wearing one of the fans on either side of the large stone as a brooch.

If all the top parts are removable then it would look nice on Kate or Sophie with their hair worn up.

The matching necklace needs to stay in the vault or made into separate brooches. Each aquamarine section should be a separate necklace or a separate brooch.

I actually really like the aquamarine necklace, and I hope that it is not altered.

My MAJOR gripe is the lack of a sapphire tiara worthy of the name.. I wish they'd flog the 'pretend' tiara/necklace atrocity, and use the money for some decent sized cabouchon drops to dangle from the Vladimir [and add as detachable spikes to the GGBI...

Or [better still] badger the Harewoods for the return of Prince Alberts masterpiece...

For this [and the next reign], the Aquamarine tiara is fine [Camilla will really 'work' it], but I cannot imagine Catherine in it.

I take your point about the lack of a serious sapphire tiara. Perhaps the Dubai necklace could be reworked into a nice sapphire and diamond tiara.

What a beautiful tiara!

I always thought the Cambridge Pearl tiara would looks absolutely breathtaking if the pearls were replaced with dangling rubies.

I think that rubies of that size are rather difficult to find. They usually tend to be small.

I would love to see some relatively minor alterations made to Queen Elisabeth's Burmese ruby tiaras. I think interspersing the ruby roses with a few diamonds would considerably lighten the rose and improve the design, and potentially address quite a lot of the criticism the tiara currently attracts.

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Tiara Thursday: The Burmese Ruby Tiara

Waht i would change at the ruby tiara are to remove or replace this diamond antennas between the ruby roses.

Waht i would change at the ruby tiara are to remove or replace this diamond antennas between the ruby roses.

I agree, moving the diamond "antennae" to the ruby roses would certainly achieve what I was suggesting.

I think what really make the difference for the British jewels is they need younger wearers. The stuff really looked amazing when the Queen, Queen Mother wore them in their younger days.

I agree, moving the diamond "antennae" to the ruby roses would certainly achieve what I was suggesting.
But without those antennae there would be huge gaps, as the roses are pretty far apart. I'm not sure that would help the look of this tiara. Better to leave it in the vault and undust the oriental circlet.

But without those antennae there would be huge gaps, as the roses are pretty far apart. I'm not sure that would help the look of this tiara.

Perhaps I ought to be clearer. The antennae per se stay, except some of the diamonds are swapped with some of the rubies in the roses. The rubies and diamonds interspersed in the roses would, IMO, considerably improve the look. The rubies freed up from the roses could go back to the antennae.

Better to leave it in the vault and undust the oriental circlet.

The Oriental Circlet is lovely, I do hope Camilla uses it when she is Queen.

I think what really make the difference for the British jewels is they need younger wearers. The stuff really looked amazing when the Queen, Queen Mother wore them in their younger days.

Catherine is starting to wear some royal heirlooms. I am sure, in the next 5 - 7 years, we will see her wear a lot more, as she increases her attendance of events requiring serious jewels.

But without those antennae there would be huge gaps, as the roses are pretty far apart. I'm not sure that would help the look of this tiara. Better to leave it in the vault and undust the oriental circlet.

The could use the dmaond from the antennas to make diamond roses and place them instead of the antennas between the ruby roses.
The Queen has worn the oriental circlet but only once. Obviously she prefers the burmese ruby tiara.

Perhaps I ought to be clearer. The antennae per se stay, except some of the diamonds are swapped with some of the rubies in the roses. The rubies and diamonds interspersed in the roses would, IMO, considerably improve the look. The rubies freed up from the roses could go back to the antennae.

The Oriental Circlet is lovely, I do hope Camilla uses it when she is Queen.
Ok, now I understand, that really makes sense. At the moment the rubies look like big, fat blotches, imo.

The Oriental Circlet would suit Camillas style perfectly. And this is one tiara that really needs not change. It is beautiful as it is. Although I'd like to see some interchangeable opals, to give it back it's historic look.

Catherine is starting to wear some royal heirlooms. I am sure, in the next 5 - 7 years, we will see her wear a lot more, as she increases her attendance of events requiring serious jewels.

Actually, right now I think she's understanding that she is third lady in the land and that she should be wearing these jewels.

Actually, right now I think she's understanding that she is third lady in the land and that she should be wearing these jewels.

In my view, she will wear the jewels when she attends events that warrant the jewels.

In my view, she will wear the jewels when she attends events that warrant the jewels.

Well, yeah. Like she's done for the gala reception and dinner in New York, and art gala in London. Of course she'll wear them at royal events. I'm just saying, she's a future Queen and she should be wearing the royal heirlooms. Catherine could take many of her mother-in-law jewels, Queen's jewels and her own jewels and change them up to fit her style and taste. It's about playing around with them and coming up with her own unique ways to wearing them. Or she could leave them as they are. The important part is to actually wear them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom