Representing the Missouri Ozarks

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KendiMcLain

City
Jenkins
Country
United States
Not in the least bit Royal or even high up on the social scale, but we tend to be a happy little place. My nic on here is Kendi and I joined for rather nefarious purposes, or so some may think. I'm a writer working on a manuscript and I need to feel the time frame I'm working in. Currently it's 21st century England with ties to 19th century Ireland and England.

This forum caught my attention because of a post on primogeniture. An English Duke has found the last of his blood is a descendant of one of his less than cautious grandfathers and an Irish peasant lass. Imagine an American Irish Catholic descended from a bastard son named to be and English Duke.

My dilemma is being completely in the dark about 21st century English nobility/aristocracy. I stumbled across this forum and read a few posts. It seemed like a place I needed to be to understand more about English culture, then and now.

I hope I'm welcome and I hope I'll gain some insight into my character and the man who would make him Duke.

Kendi

p.s. the individual that pm'd me as soon as I regsitered, I have no clue where that message went or how to grab it. sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not in the least bit Royal or even high up on the social scale, but we tend to be a happy little place. My nic on here is Kendi and I joined for rather nefarious purposes, or so some may think. I'm a writer working on a manuscript and I need to feel the time frame I'm working in. Currently it's 21st century England with ties to 19th century Ireland and England.

This forum caught my attention because of a post on primogeniture. An English Duke has found the last of his blood is a descendant of one of his less than cautious grandfathers and an Irish peasant lass. Imagine an American Irish Catholic descended from a bastard son named to be and English Duke.

You have me confused about the relationship between these dukes.

I am reading this as the duke in the 19th C had a child by an Irish peasant and now in the 21st C the current Duke has discovered that this descendent line from his ancestor exists. However the Irish family would have no claim to the Dukedom as they are from an illegitimate line and can't inherit. Illegitimacy prevents any claim to titles in the British aristocracy - as does descent from a female unless specifically allowed

If the first Duke was married twice - once to a 'respectable' wife from whom the present Duke was descended and then after she died to the Irish lass then that line would be able to inherit so long as all older male lines from the first marriage were exhausted.

Of course if you are saying that the present Duke's heir has married a descendent of the issue of the relationship between the 19th C Duke and the Irish girl the only problems would be those associated with religious bigotry between Roman Catholics and Protestants, which is a lot more muted than in past times.

Back
Top Bottom