New Found Interest in the British Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Inheritance is a tricky thing. Wait until you start going further back and get to George I or the War of the Roses.

Regarding Victoria, what happened was kind of simple, just rather unlikely. George III had a whole herd of children but didn't really try to marry any of them off. His first five sons were 1. George, Prince of Wales, 2. Prince Frederick, Duke of York and Albany, 3. Prince William, Duke of Clarence, 4. Prince Edward, Duke of Kent and Strathearn, and 5. Prince Ernest Augustus, Duke of Cumberland and Teviotdale. George married and had a daughter, Princess Charlotte of Wales, but she died during the reign of her grandfather. Her death sparked a race to birth an heir amongst the other brothers, who each quickly married and tried to have legitimate sons.

Both Prince Edward and Prince Ernest Augustus succeeded in having children, but their elder brothers weren't as successful. In 1920, Prince Edward died then shortly after his father died, passing the throne on to the former Prince of Wales, now George III. George never had any more children, and during his reign the second son, Prince Frederick died, so when George died the throne went to the third son, William. William actually had a slew of children, but they were all from a marriage that hadn't been conducted with the permission of his father, so they were all illegitimate. With his wife, Adelaide, he had no surviving children, so when he died his British titles went to Victoria, who was the only child of the fourth son, while his German titles went to the fifth son because of Salic law.

All I have to say is WOW! And thank you so much for the history lesson. I am still trying to figure out how all the royal houses of Europe (both current, and former) are related. I have heard Victoria reffered to as the grandmother of Europe. As her children have married into almost all of the various royal house If this is true it would seem Charlotte is the "GREAT"-grandmother of Euroupe as she had 15 children??? ( not sure how many survived).

I would also very much appreciate it if someone could point me to a website that has a family tree of the BRF that goes back to William I in 1066. I am sure one exist, just have not found it yet??

Also I would appreciate any recommendations on films that I can watch about the BRF preferably on Netflix. I have already seen The Queen (the 2009 docudrama, The Kings Speech, and I am currently watching Edward the Seventh, Oh yes and Mrs Brown with Dame Judi Dench.

All I have to say is WOW! And thank you so much for the history lesson. I am still trying to figure out how all the royal houses of Europe (both current, and former) are related. I have heard Victoria reffered to as the grandmother of Europe. As her children have married into almost all of the various royal house If this is true it would seem Charlotte is the "GREAT"-grandmother of Euroupe as she had 15 children??? ( not sure how many survived).

I would also very much appreciate it if someone could point me to a website that has a family tree of the BRF that goes back to William I in 1066. I am sure one exist, just have not found it yet??

Also I would appreciate any recommendations on films that I can watch about the BRF preferably on Netflix. I have already seen The Queen (the 2009 docudrama, The Kings Speech, and I am currently watching Edward the Seventh, Oh yes and Mrs Brown with Dame Judi Dench.

British Royal Family Tree 849-2013: http://www.britroyals.com/royaltree.htm

Queen Victoria descendants: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_descendants_of_Queen_Victoria_and_King_Christian_IX

There is a thread on here that has Genealogy of the British Royal Family and another threads that has Documentary and books of the Royal Family.

Back
Top Bottom