Hello from the dark side.

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Republic

City
Sheffield
Country
Ivory Coast
As my name suggests, I'm not exactly a fan of hereditary privilege. Having said that, I can't wait for Charles to become king. It can't be that far away now.

Do you think the monarchy can survive in modern times where the stark comparison between vulgar wealth and starvation can be seen rubbing shoulders every day? I think, if it wasn't for the elite having the media in their pocket, the revolution would happening now.

Well, you promise to be an interesting poster!

Welcome!

I think Charles will make a great king as well, but I don't think it anytime that soon.

As my name suggests, I'm not exactly a fan of hereditary privilege. Having said that, I can't wait for Charles to become king. It can't be that far away now.

Do you think the monarchy can survive in modern times where the stark comparison between vulgar wealth and starvation can be seen rubbing shoulders every day? I think, if it wasn't for the elite having the media in their pocket, the revolution would happening now.

As the 'stark comparison between vulgar wealth and starvation' 'rubbing shoulders every day' has been with us since ancient times I don't think there will be a revolution any time soon.

Even in countries where there is no inherited positions this is very visible.

Welcome by the way.

Well some of the most equal societies are monarchies. Look at Scandinavia for example. If you abolished every monarchy on Earth you would still have all the problems off the world. Life is unfair. Monarchy of no monarchy.

I don't think Charles will make a good king at all. We have had some 'crazies' previously and I hope he will cause people to reconsider exactly what hereditary means. There is scant mention of his relationship with Savile. It seems the royals are teflon coated these days.

The royal wealth is obscene by any standard, a bit like the church. They have blood on their hands passed down through the centuries. As I said, it's a good job the media are in their pockets.

Thanks for the welcomes.

Welcome to the forums, Republic. It sounds like you'll bring discussions to some interesting levels here. Enjoy your time posting.

Why is that? Are people with different opinions censored?

Far from it, but in general this is a pro-monarchy site.

Welcome and I hope that you will come to the forum with an open mind.

We tend to find that those who come along determined to be provocative don't last long as they get shot down on their arguments pretty quickly - such as yours regarding wealth and starvation rubbing shoulders - that has been happening for centuries - if anything it is less obvious to both sides now than it was in the past when the poor were in the villages and saw the lords of the manor with their wealth etc ruling over them directly.

The other reason why you probably won't last long is that the majority of people on this board are very supportive of the monarchies, and so their conversations tend to become something that a rabid anti-monarchist, such as you have presented yourself to be in your introduction, just finds boring and over the top supportive of the monarchists and the royals within each family.

Why is that? Are people with different opinions censored?

Oh no, not another whiner.

Okay, you openend the ball by coming here to a forum where most members are pro-monarchy, for all sorts of reasons. And your very first post is pretty rabid.
What did you expect? Flowers and a standing ovation?
It's the equivalent of joining a board devoted to soccer and start by saying "I hate soccer".

Do you really think you are the first to come here in order to stir things up a little? You won't last long that way. Not because people are particularly hostile, but because your arguments will be taken apart, for the very simple reason that most here actually know what they are talking about when it comes to monarchies and why they remain to this day.

So you can either ask questions and learn and involve yourself in a serious debate or you can try keeping up your attitude, in which case you won't last long.
Expect to be contradicted and challenged and don't start about censorship, it won't work.

Oh no, not another whiner.

Okay, you openend the ball by coming here to a forum where most members are pro-monarchy, for all sorts of reasons. And your very first post is pretty rabid.
What did you expect? Flowers and a standing ovation?
It's the equivalent of joining a board devoted to soccer and start by saying "I hate soccer".

Do you really think you are the first to come here in order to stir things up a little? You won't last long that way. Not because people are particularly hostile, but because your arguments will be taken apart, for the very simple reason that most here actually know what they are talking about when it comes to monarchies and why they remain to this day.

So you can either ask questions and learn and involve yourself in a serious debate or you can try keeping up your attitude, in which case you won't last long.
Expect to be contradicted and challenged and don't start about censorship, it won't work.

Well that wouldn't convert anyone! :lol:

Well that wouldn't convert anyone! :lol:

Indeed. It's confirmation of the steretypes I was expecting. Sounds like it should be called the 'Royal Fawning Forum' from what I have read so far. Can none of them do any wrong in your (collective) eyes?

Indeed. It's confirmation of the steretypes I was expecting. Sounds like it should be called the 'Royal Fawning Forum' from what I have read so far. Can none of them do any wrong in your (collective) eyes?

You cant have read very far and what you really need to have a sense of humour to join in. Lighten up and open up and remember this is, as you have been told by many, a pro monarchy site.

With all due respect i don't see your point. This forum is a place to share a common knownledge and passion about various subjects related to royalty. Unsunprisingly It's a site EXCLUSIVELY dedicated to this topic. So why come here if it's not your cup of tea (which is perfectly fine, but i do think there are some other appropriate places where you can share your opinion ).
I don't think it's very constructive for everyone to come here only to be provocative and to say that, basically, royalty sucks, and to expect some angry reactions from "stereotypes", only for the fun to be THE Republican among the aloof royalists.
I'm not sure that a fervent Monarchist would be very welcome on a Republican board. That's said you're welcome, but i still don't understand what are you expecting here ...

Yep what I thought. Troll. Boredom. Envy. Satanism. Thorism. In the it is all talk talk. Twitter at its best.

Welcome to The Royal Forums.

To answer your question, I would have to say yes it will most definitely survive. Perhaps you are not aware of certain things and this is definitely a venue to find out more about things pertaining to the British Royal Family.

You mention "vulgar" wealth rubbing shoulders with the poor, downtrodden and disadvantaged. Most certainly they are rubbing shoulders and getting up close and personal. Are you familiar at all with Charles' Prince's Trust or any of his other programs, charities and patronages? Has anything that the Royal Foundation programs of William, Harry and Kate come to your attention at all? I would imagine if there's an area in British society that is dire need of care, support and financial backing, 10 to 1, there is a program that the royals are involved with. This isn't close to all their charities and patronages as the rest of the family support a multitude of different things.

This is a good place to read up on what exactly they're doing and I hope you enjoy your time here as much as I do.

All western monarchs survived because they are out of politics and into philanthropy. Not bad, hey?

Yes, feeding the troll. Hungry trolls move under a new bridge. ;)

Perhaps we're being a bit hasty here assuming one is a troll. People come here for all different reasons and with all different opinions. Some here came as monarchists and over time, turned republican. Some had misguided notions about certain royals and after reading and participating in discussion, came to know more facts and dispelled the fantasies. Some, like me, came for Ascot hats and found a treasure trove of information about what the ins and outs and protocols of Ascot involve. Some believe Queen Elizabeth lives high on the hog with every whim granted with a smile and find out she's a very frugal and cost conscious person that uses Tupperware. :D

They're amusing, they're history, they have idiosyncrasies but most of all, they live in a fishbowl and we want to know everything about them. Gotta love it!

Yes, this true but when one intentionally comes to a forum uses intentionally divisive language to get a response then acts insulted and rude when they respond it stinks of troll.

Yes, this true but when one intentionally comes to a forum uses intentionally divisive language to get a response then acts insulted and rude when they respond it stinks of troll.

Exactly this, it would be like me posting on a site dedicated to Westbro Baptist Church etc and then acting all surprised if I started getting called names because I'm openly gay.

There is a right and a wrong way to start a discussion, unfortunately it would appear the OP has made a conscious effort to start any conversation in a derisive manner.

My point is that if people won't dialogue to learn, I won't give my valuable time to them speaking one-sidedly. When all they will do is talk (rather than listen and then dialogue) I won't do it. We all have that choice. Butting out now. :flowers:

They are unelected and have no right to anything in an egalitarien society. You call attending a few functions and walking around a bit philanthropy?
Posh and Becks can do that and we don't have to fund them and their hangers-on to the tune of millions every year. I bet Posh didn't try to get a Government handout to keep her place warm last winter either.

Plus the queen is past her 'sell-by' date. She couldn't even get to Nelson Mandela's send-off so now we have to have a ceremony over here instead. I wonder who is footing the bill for that?

Republic, I have been on this Board as an active member since about 2006/2007. There is indeed a fair amount of fawning. But there are also posts that range from speculative to highly critical.(see the thread devoted to the controversy over Prince Carl-Philip's current girlfriend and her suitability to be a member of the SRF).

I joined this board years ago mostly because I am a history buff, not to fawn. I always want to learn, and I have indeed learned quite a lot here. There are articles and stories devoted not only to current monarchies but ancient, defunct ones. Threads that discuss Royal mysteries, murders, art, etc. The list goes on.

With a handful of exceptions these posters are highly intelligent and well-informed.

Welcome to the board. I hope you come in peace. Just give it a try before labeling us all fawning royalists...you might be surprised.;)

Last edited:
They are unelected and have no right to anything in an egalitarien society. You call attending a few functions and walking around a bit philanthropy?
Posh and Becks can do that and we don't have to fund them and their hangers-on to the tune of millions every year. I bet Posh didn't try to get a Government handout to keep her place warm last winter either.

Plus the queen is past her 'sell-by' date. She couldn't even get to Nelson Mandela's send-off so now we have to have a ceremony over here instead. I wonder who is footing the bill for that?

I'd like to know, have you ever even bothered to watch royals in action? They bring a smile to people's faces, and that is a pretty big deal, not to mention, the existence of royals helps to promote tourism, especially in the United Kingdom. Her Majesty is not past her 'sell-by' date, as you call it. She still does a lot of engagements. Now, would you have the same sentiments towards a politician who was in the same age group? People have worth that is not measured by amount of revenue they bring in, and that is regardless of of their social position, age, etc. Now, I don't think too many people would turn out to see 'Posh and Becks' when they're doing an appearance of any sort, but a lot of people turn out to see Her Majesty, and other royals when they're doing an engagement. Just on Friday, Catherine made some very sick children and their families very happy. Can you really not see the worth of that? If not, then you're leading a rather sad life.

Charles' work with The Princes Trust has directly affected the lives of 100,000s of young Brits - to the extent that he is regarded as one of the world's leading philanthropist - a person people like Posh and Becks actually pay to attend functions he hosts.

The BRF maybe unelected but they do bring a lot of good will with them - have you seen the smiles on the faces of the people in Glasgow when Charles visited the sight of the crash - smiles that hadn't been there for a week or more but the sight of the heir to the throne thanking them, comforting them, and for one 8 year old, cuddling gave a boost in morale.

As for The Queen not going to Mandela's funeral - nothing new there - she has only ever attended one overseas funeral in her reign and only two non-family members in Britain - Churchill's and Thatcher's.

There are memorial services planned in many places for Mandela - it had that sort of influence - even if the Head of State is attending the actual ceremonies in SA. Britain has memorial services for many things every year and it is paid for from the same fund as other such services would be paid - The Sovereign's Grant - which is the money paid to The Queen to fund her official duties, the official duties of her family (such as the costs of Charles going to SA to go to the funeral), and the costs of maintaining the royal palaces. The Sovereign's Grant is for specific purposes and actually isn't a salary so if Britain was to be a republic the costs would increase as a President would require a salary as well as the money now paid for expenses.

The United States, which is sending the present Head of State and two past Heads of State, is also having a memorial service at the National Cathedral - http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/l...-to-be-in-Washington-Wednesday-234782031.html so why the big deal about the UK having a memorial service. New York has already held its own memorial service http://nypost.com/2013/12/08/nyc-leaders-memorialize-mandelas-moral-majesty/ as has Los Angeles http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/l...emorialized-at-South-LA-Church-234958521.html

If you are going to attack royals in general or specific ones over an issue be prepared to have people come up with arguments such as mine - that other countries are also having memorial services as well as sending their Heads of State or Government (such as the Australian and Canadian PMs). The UK isn't having a memorial service because The Queen is too old to attend in person (as is George W Bush Snr by the way having both been advised against travelling so far at their age) but because the country wishes to honour him.

Last edited:
Yep what I thought. Troll. Boredom. Envy. Satanism. Thorism. In the it is all talk talk. Twitter at its best.

Yes, I agree: someone who goes to a site that is pro-monarchy, and is against it, is considered a troll.

If the site was about one vs. the other, then it would be acceptable. But I always find that such forums only end up inviting the inevitable constant bickering between both sides.

Best not to hang around at a place you don't care for, dark side.

Back
Top Bottom