Greetings from Prince Joshua von Lobkowicz

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Prince Joshua

Commoner
City
Oviedo
Country
United States
Greetings everyone.

I am Prince Joshua von Lobkowicz and I am happy to make your acquaintance. My wife and I first discovered this site many years ago when there was a post announcing our upcoming wedding. How anyone knew about it is beyond me.

As I was contacting some distant relatives, this site came up again in a google search and I thought it might be interesting to join.

A little about me. I am 40 years old, married, and presently working as a publishing consultant for established and aspiring board game publishers. I like to travel, study language, write, read, and enjoy all things food and drink related.

Despite my love of food, I embarrassingly do not have a terribly refined palate. Honestly, I am as just as happy eating street food in a southeast Asian hutong as I am with a white truffle risotto overlooking the Adriatic.

I look forward to getting to connect with some people here.

Best Regards.
Prince Joshua von Lobkowicz

Bonjour! There is a lot of royal history to learn about. ????

Bonjour! There is a lot of royal history to learn about. ????

Bonjour!

A never ending amount really. Frankly, following the history of my own family is a life's work in itself. The kind I'd love to write about some day.

Nice to meet you!

Best Regards,
Prince Joshua

Welcome, Joshua! I hope you will enjoy your time hier at this forum!

Nice to meet you, Joshua!

Welcome to TRF Prince Joshua von Lobkowicz!

Hello, Joshua. Welcome to the oldest great-grandchild of Ambassador Prince Maximilian (1888-1967) and Gillian Sommerville (1890-1982), who settled in the US. - So glad you've joined up! :czechflag:

Last edited:
Frankly, following the history of my own family is a life's work in itself. The kind I'd love to write about some day.

Joshua, if you are learning Czech as part of your exploration of Lobkowicz family history, there is a nicely illustrated book that I picked up in Praha called Lobkowiczové: dejiny a genealogie rodu, where I just noted (if the info in there is correct) that we have the same November 26 birthday- LOL!

Hello, Joshua. Welcome to the oldest great-grandchild of Ambassador Prince Maximilian (1888-1967) and Gillian Sommerville (1890-1982), who settled in the US. - So glad you've joined up! :czechflag:

Thank you for the kind welcome. I see you know a bit of my family history. Sadly, I never knew either of them though Gillian and I did share a brief time on this planet together.

Kind Regards,

Joshua, if you are learning Czech as part of your exploration of Lobkowicz family history, there is a nicely illustrated book that I picked up in Praha called Lobkowiczové: dejiny a genealogie rodu, where I just noted (if the info in there is correct) that we have the same November 26 birthday- LOL!

What a happy coincidence. And you are right. We have a most excellent birthday.

I have a copy of that book in my collection as well. Sadly, I do not yet speak the language. Czech teachers are few and far between in the US. Someday, I will learn to speak it - poorly. Which is how, I speak each of the languages I have put a bit of time into.

I do like to travel, and I always try to treat the strangers I meet with respect. That is best done in the language of those you visit. To this end, I speak a very basic amount of French, Spanish, Italian, Albanian, and Mandarin. When I visit Prague, my extended family who live there render my attempts at Czech quite moot I'm afraid.

Kind Regards,

Nice to meet you!

Greetings everyone.

I am Prince Joshua von Lobkowicz and I am happy to make your acquaintance. My wife and I first discovered this site many years ago when there was a post announcing our upcoming wedding. How anyone knew about it is beyond me.

As I was contacting some distant relatives, this site came up again in a google search and I thought it might be interesting to join.

A little about me. I am 40 years old, married, and presently working as a publishing consultant for established and aspiring board game publishers. I like to travel, study language, write, read, and enjoy all things food and drink related.

Despite my love of food, I embarrassingly do not have a terribly refined palate. Honestly, I am as just as happy eating street food in a southeast Asian hutong as I am with a white truffle risotto overlooking the Adriatic.
, Im checking it out
I look forward to getting to connect with some people here.

Best Regards.
Prince Joshua von Lobkowicz

Welcome back to the Royal Forums! :czechflag:

I assume you are referring to the Travel Buddy Games? Best wishes on your work I'm checking it out in Instagram and looks interesting. Hope we see you post about your thoughts on the long history of the Lobkowicz family.

Last edited:
Welcome back to the Royal Forums! :czechflag:

I assume you are referring to the Travel Buddy Games? Best wishes on your work I'm checking it out in Instagram and looks interesting. Hope we see you post about your thoughts on the long history of the Lobkowicz family.

Actually, Travel Buddy Games is only a small independent side project. Primarily my publishing consulting services are provided to Grey Fox Games. I also consult with other publishers and designers on a per project basis.

As for my thoughts on my family's long history, I will be happy to provide them some time. Frankly, they are incomplete. My thoughts. Not my family.

I'm certain it would be quite interesting for me to share some stories from my family that have only been passed down to me orally. I suspect some of the more studious of you here may know details that even I lack.

Best Regards,

Actually, Travel Buddy Games is only a small independent side project. Primarily my publishing consulting services are provided to Grey Fox Games. I also consult with other publishers and designers on a per project basis.

As for my thoughts on my family's long history, I will be happy to provide them some time. Frankly, they are incomplete. My thoughts. Not my family.

I'm certain it would be quite interesting for me to share some stories from my family that have only been passed down to me orally. I suspect some of the more studious of you here may know details that even I lack.

Best Regards,

Then I think you are more than ready to start drafting all the anecdotes and family memories into a self-published digital book. For us history nerds the best stories are not the Wikipedia entries but the memories of those that make the historical characters come alive, like everyday persons, in extraordinary events.

Joshua, here is a fun fact that makes you somewhat of a genealogical oddity, and not only among princes:

Of Ambassador Prince Maximilian's three sons, your grandfather Oliver was youngest.
Of the Ambassador's six Lobkowicz grandsons, your father Mark was youngest.
However, of the Ambassador's seven Lobkowicz great-grandsons, you totally reverse the pattern, being the oldest of them. A relatively rare genealogical phenomenon in large families.

Last edited:
Joshua, While you are exploring family history, “Dancing and dying for Napoléon” is an article featuring your tragic and beautiful great-great-great-great-great-grandmother Princess Pauline d'Arenberg, wife of Prince Joseph zu Schwarzenberg.

Article abstract:

https://www.new.ox.ac.uk/node/1293

Last edited:
Joshua, How is Princess Anna Lobkowicz related to you?

Joshua, here is a fun fact that makes you somewhat of a genealogical oddity, and not only among princes:

Of Ambassador Prince Maximilian's three sons, your grandfather Oliver was youngest.
Of the Ambassador's six Lobkowicz grandsons, your father Mark was youngest.
However, of the Ambassador's seven Lobkowicz great-grandsons, you totally reverse the pattern, being the oldest of them. A relatively rare genealogical phenomenon in large families.

How interesting.
And “Dancing and dying for Napoléon” seems like quite the interesting read. I reached out to the author for a copy. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Kind Regards.

Joshua, How is Princess Anna Lobkowicz related to you?

Though we are not personally acquainted, we are of the same generation so I would consider her a cousin. Sadly, I do not know off hand exactly where our common ancestor is. I am most familiar with the Roudnice branch of the family and only recently have begun making connections with my more distant relatives.

Best Regards,

Joshua, While you are exploring family history, “Dancing and dying for Napoléon” is an article featuring your tragic and beautiful great-great-great-great-great-grandmother Princess Pauline d'Arenberg, wife of Prince Joseph zu Schwarzenberg.

Article abstract:

https://www.new.ox.ac.uk/node/1293

I love this article! Thanks :flowers: Often history books goals recycle events already covered ad nauseum with a spin using the authors opinion for or against the events.

When someone takes the time to provide a dissertation on everyday details and family stories, they bring to life other circumstances around events we know from school or research. The how and why and the reactions of people present, often kept in their memories and journals, make reading history much more personal.

Last edited:
Sadly, I do not know off hand exactly where our common ancestor is.

Common patrilineal ancestor: Prince Ferdinand August (1655-1715). Joshua is a tenth generation descendant of Prince Ferdinand August through an older son, while Anna is a ninth-generation descendant through a younger son.

Common patrilineal ancestor: Prince Ferdinand August (1655-1715). Joshua is a tenth generation descendant of Prince Ferdinand August through an older son, while Anna is a ninth-generation descendant through a younger son.

I am impressed with how quickly you discovered this.
Well done.

I am impressed with how quickly you discovered this.
Well done.

Forget Ancestry and 23 and Me, this is where the experts gather if you need research on a family tree! ?

That's why I love about this forum with so many threads assisted by the dedicated research of forum members from all over the planet.

Joshua, Have you researched any churches for baptism records?

Back
Top Bottom