A Republican in here?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
City
-
Country
United States
My name is Diane and yes, it's true I'm a republican, and not the GOP variety either :p :D I have a BA in history and I've always been interested in monarchies, British history, and especially genealogy. I've lurked from time to time on these forums and the Scottish independent movement finally prompted me to join to ask some questions.

:)

:welcome: i hope you enjoy posting in TRF like me :flowers: I'am Burzg :wave:

Welcome to The Royal Forums. I'm a republican too (again, not GOP) but I love royalty for the grandeur and jewels. Enjoy posting!

So, what are your thoughts on UK's status as a monarchy?

Sorry, what does the abbreviation "GOP" mean?

:previous:Couldn't have answered that better myself as an American!:) Welcome to the forums, Diane, and enjoy your time here. Whatever questions you have about anything on royalty will sure to be answered by the knowledgeable people here.

I have dual British and Australian nationality.

As British citizen I'm a monarchist and hope the UK chooses to retain its Royal Family. I think the monarchy works well. I think the Queen has done a far more outstanding job representing Britain than any of her Prime Ministers with the possible exception of Churchill (I use the word possible because his finest hour was during the reign of her father and not hers IMHO) and I think Prince Charles will do an equally outstanding job. I know its illogical but my thoughts are more an emotional position than an intellectual one.

As an Australian I support an Australian head of state because I think that is what is best for Australia. I voted for a republic in the referendum held a couple of years ago and I'll probably do the same in the future depending on what we get to vote on.

The one thing I hated about the last referendum were articles in the press making it about personalities - a vote on the Queen, or an excuse for Britain bashing rather than about Australia, a system of government for Australia and what was best for Australia.

Welcome to TRF, I hope you enjoy posting as much as I do!

Welcome and enjoy your time on the site.

So, what are your thoughts on UK's status as a monarchy?
Not likely to change any time soon. The monarchy has provided stability and is a shield against the worst excesses of politics. As an ardent Monarchist, i am heartened by the apparent interest in the subject from individuals who identify themselves as Republicans, and i am curious as to know the reason why. Is it simply an attraction to the fluff and flummery which surrounds so much of Monarchy, or are there deeper feelings at play, subconciously?

Not likely to change any time soon. The monarchy has provided stability and is a shield against the worst excesses of politics. As an ardent Monarchist, i am heartened by the apparent interest in the subject from individuals who identify themselves as Republicans, and i am curious as to know the reason why. Is it simply an attraction to the fluff and flummery which surrounds so much of Monarchy, or are there deeper feelings at play, subconciously?

Its mostly the fluff.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom