Pavlos and Marie-Chantal current events 2: October 2005-June 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Layla1971 said:
Yeah, it's sad that rich and pretty aren't always together!:( Horrible in the case of royal families though.

Actually I find it quite consoling, hey I'm just kidding!

Wallis

:) :) Hello. I've been following the website for the last couple of years, but have never logged in or posted a message. I agree with a lot of the comments here about Marie-Chantal, both negative and positive. I met her this early August when her Madison avenue boutique opened. I didn't really speak to her much. She asked me if I had children. I told her that I'm here buying a present for my girlfriend's daughter and that I've been married for 10 years and have been struggling to have kids for the last 5. I must say that she looked sincerely sad for me. There was another woman there who couldn't stop talking to her or asking her questions. While I was leaving, I noticed her staring at me and then she shouted out goodbye.
I agree with some of the posters that she is not that pretty and that she should do more for Greece. However, I also found her oddly warm and approachable.

I don't know if it has been posted yet (I can't find it anywhere and I've been searching this site for over half an hour), but could somebody please give me the contact adress of Pavlos and M-C? I would like to send them a christmas card, but I don't know where to.

Thanks in advance!

Perhaps if you just sent it to her store in London it would get to her. I am sure she probably is in there often when they are in town.

Try sending it to King Constantine's office or the Hellenic College of London.

Aphrodite26 said:
Perhaps if you just sent it to her store in London it would get to her. I am sure she probably is in there often when they are in town.
Where is her store? I am flying in tommorrow and wouldn't mind popping in!

thank you for sharing your experience wallis. i wish you the best for your personal life. as regards mc, i am happy to hear of someone who has actually spoke to her. she is not my favourite, but i think we should give her at least a chance, even myself

Wallis said:
:) :) Hello. I've been following the website for the last couple of years, but have never logged in or posted a message. I agree with a lot of the comments here about Marie-Chantal, both negative and positive. I met her this early August when her Madison avenue boutique opened. I didn't really speak to her much. She asked me if I had children. I told her that I'm here buying a present for my girlfriend's daughter and that I've been married for 10 years and have been struggling to have kids for the last 5. I must say that she looked sincerely sad for me. There was another woman there who couldn't stop talking to her or asking her questions. While I was leaving, I noticed her staring at me and then she shouted out goodbye.
I agree with some of the posters that she is not that pretty and that she should do more for Greece. However, I also found her oddly warm and approachable.

auntie said:
Where is her store? I am flying in tommorrow and wouldn't mind popping in!

The adress of her store is :
148 Walton Street
London SW3 2JJ
United Kingdom
T 44 20 7838 1111

Wallis said:

That is a nice story, Wallis, thank you for sharing it. MC comes across as a sympathetic woman.

I wonder though, as many people say 'she should do more for Greece'...what does she have to do for Greece? What are her in-laws doing for Greece at the moment? I don't know of any projects by the former king, queen or crownprince, or of Pss Irene, Alexia etc, who were actually born in Greece. And what help does Greece need? Especially, why would they want help from a family they have thrown out & have treated extremely badly, since their arrival in the 19th century, up to now?

Marengo said:
That is a nice story, Wallis, thank you for sharing it. MC comes across as a sympathetic woman.

I wonder though, as many people say 'she should do more for Greece'...what does she have to do for Greece? What are her in-laws doing for Greece at the moment? I don't know of any projects by the former king, queen or crownprince, or of Pss Irene, Alexia etc, who were actually born in Greece. And what help does Greece need? Especially, why would they want help from a family they have thrown out & have treated extremely badly, since their arrival in the 19th century, up to now?

I agree, what should she do? Why? She is not a crown princess of that country. She is a citizen just like any of us, only rich. I don't even see any of the royals doing anything for their country except attending dinners and posing for pictures, preparing speeches, and that type of "work."

I agree Marengo, but...

Thank you for the response. Unfortunately, she is a symbol and the mother of future princes. Because she appears in magazines and in the media as "Crown Princess Marie-Chantal of Greece," then she has to try to look positive for the country of Greece. She can't disgrace the country.
But I think that she has no time for much dedication. The "nosy" woman at her Madison Avenue boutique asked her if her life was busy as a mother of four. She replied yes and said that she loves to stay in with her husband and four children because of the the work in raising four kids, the many trips, and the work of selling clothes at the boutiques. I don't want to insult her, but she should not carry that title unless she intends to honor it. Queen Elizabeth sacrificed family and personal gain for duty to her country.
By the way, MC also told the "nosy" woman most of the restaurants she frequents in London and Greece, what her kids do in school, and who was taking care of her kids at the moment. I thought the woman was rude for asking so many questions, but now I regret not asking her any. :(

Wallis said:
Thank you for the response. Unfortunately, she is a symbol and the mother of future princes. Because she appears in magazines and in the media as "Crown Princess Marie-Chantal of Greece," then she has to try to look positive for the country of Greece. She can't disgrace the country.
But I think that she has no time for much dedication. The "nosy" woman at her Madison Avenue boutique asked her if her life was busy as a mother of four. She replied yes and said that she loves to stay in with her husband and four children because of the the work in raising four kids, the many trips, and the work of selling clothes at the boutiques. I don't want to insult her, but she should not carry that title unless she intends to honor it. Queen Elizabeth sacrificed family and personal gain for duty to her country.
By the way, MC also told the "nosy" woman most of the restaurants she frequents in London and Greece, what her kids do in school, and who was taking care of her kids at the moment. I thought the woman was rude for asking so many questions, but now I regret not asking her any. :(

First of all, she is NOT Crown Princess Marie-Chantal of Greece, she is Crown Princess Pavlos of Greece. She was not born a princess and only holds the title through marriage.

Second, Pavlos and his siblings are entitled to carry their style and titles as Prince/Princess of Greece & Denmark, but hold no royal rank. They are simply styles as the monarchy no longer reigns in Greece, but as a matter of protocol among the European royal houses, are granted the courtesy of their status.

And lastly, Marie-Chantal has no obligation to do anything for Greece or anyone else. She is independently wealthy and has a busy life as a mother, wife and businessperson. That's what is important to her, not a throne which never will be reality again.

Wallis said:

I don't think she disgraces the country in any way by setting up her own business. There is nothing disgracefull about an honest job. Unless the greek state is willing to pay for their ex-royals (which is unlikely and unnessecairy) the ex-royals will have to work for a living.

Again I fail to see why and HOW she should dedicate herself to Greece. If such dedication was needed I am sure it is Pavlos who has to start it, which is not happening. Instead they face up reality and move on.

Queen Elizabeth II, or any other reigning royals can not be compared to former reigning royals, as the former reigning were often kicked out of their country so the country did not need their sacrifices or other help from them. And again, Queen Elizabeth II gets paid by the british, while the greek royals have to provide for themselves.

To be frank, if I see the hardships the greek put their royal family through in the years they were in Greece (burning down the estate of King Consantine I and Queen Sophie comes to mind, among other things), I think it is a blessing for the present family, not to have obligations to that country.

In history there were many other royals or ex royals who had a title and who led a less then examplary life (Carol II of Roumenia comes to mind), she simply IS HRH Crownprincess Pavlos of Greece, despite her behavior. Furthermore I do not see in what way she in dishonouring it.

Having this said, I think it a positive sign she actually knows good restaurants in Greece, which means she goes there every once in a while :).
Lets hope that her stores will be such a succes that soon she will be opening another one. If you are invited again you first take a strong Wodka and then ask her all the questions you didn't want to ask last time ;)

How does Marie-Chantal "disgrace" Greece??????????????? If anything, she carries herself with far more dignity than many princesses in reigining houses do. She has a title by virtue of her marriage, thats HER NAME! What is she suppossed to call herself? She doesn't seem to be someone who pulls rank. Fine, she loves a fashion shoot, but she obvioulsly enjoys a very private life with her husband and children and people should just LET HER BE! She is Crown Princess Pavlos of Greece and nothing we say will change that

branchg said:
First of all, she is NOT Crown Princess Marie-Chantal of Greece, she is Crown Princess Pavlos of Greece. She was not born a princess and only holds the title through marriage.

Second, Pavlos and his siblings are entitled to carry their style and titles as Prince/Princess of Greece & Denmark, but hold no royal rank. They are simply styles as the monarchy no longer reigns in Greece, but as a matter of protocol among the European royal houses, are granted the courtesy of their status.

And lastly, Marie-Chantal has no obligation to do anything for Greece or anyone else. She is independently wealthy and has a busy life as a mother, wife and businessperson. That's what is important to her, not a throne which never will be reality again.
'

I dont agree. If your first statement should be true then there was no crownprincess Mary of Denmark, Diana of Wales, Mathilde of Belgium and so on.....

Each monarchy does things differently. Constantine himself made sure that she wasn't styled "Crown Princess Marie-Chantal" when he didn't make her a princess.

Diana was NEVER Diana of Wales. She was HRH The Princess of Wales until her divorce, when she took the style of a divorced peeress and became Diana, Princess of Wales.

Mathilde, Maxima and Claire were all created princesses in their own right, so they aren't dependent on their husbands for their titles.

Mary and Alexandra use their own names because of Margrethe's decision to allow Alexandra to not be HRH Princess Joachim, but there was a debate in Denmark in 1995 about what she would be called because she wasn't born a princess.

Laurentien wasn't created a princess in her own right, but Dutch law allows her to be styled Princess Laurentien rather than Princess COnstantijn.

branchg said:

Thank God someone sees it as it is FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marengo said:
Again I fail to see why and HOW she should dedicate herself to Greece. If such dedication was needed I am sure it is Pavlos who has to start it, which is not happening. Instead they face up reality and move on.

;)

She is not obliged to do anything, just keep in mind that if she had not marry Pavlos, nobody would have known who she is. I mean she is nice rich and classy, but who believes that her fashion shops would have a single client, without them belonging to a Crown Princess???? When she opened her shop in Athens full of people went there, obviousely not to see the baby's dresses but to see a nice princess, so she ows something to Greece....

Marengo said:
To be frank, if I see the hardships the greek put their royal family through in the years they were in Greece (burning down the estate of King Consantine I and Queen Sophie comes to mind, among other things), I think it is a blessing for the present family, not to have obligations to that country.

;)
First of all, I do not know where are you coming from, but you are not allowed to use such wording like "that country", this is unfair, and I forbid you. The "greek" royal family, who arrived in Greece from Denmark, against people's willings, never managed to really persuate people that they really felt greek!!! For almost one century, they lived in a royal way, thanks to "that country", and sometimes they have been chassed away, because they were unable to make people love them.
Personnally I believe that Costantine does feel greek, and his highest wish is to have been able to keep his obligations and rights to Greece, unfortunately for him, game is lost.

Marengo said:
simply IS HRH Crownprincess Pavlos of Greece, despite her behavior. Furthermore I do not see in what way she in dishonouring it.

;)
She is not dishounouring at all, she is too classy for that, and nothing is wrong with her behavior. She is just using and absolutely not hounouring.

Last edited:
Layla1971 said:
I really don't see what all the fuss is about the Greek RF, they are just people with useless dilusions of grandeur.

They will never be restored to the Greek throne and they are not serving the people of Greece in any way, so why are they titled "of Greece"?:confused:

They don't deserve these titles and shouldn't have them.

The majority of Greek people don't know what the point of this is, why so they want to cash in on their ancestors achievements? Can't they find recognition on their own?:confused:

I have to agree with you, Layla. I simply do not understand the GRF; I'm trying to, but it is just not happening.

With all due respect to the fans of the Greek Royal family, what is the point? To me, GRF are living in the past and perhaps believe that they have some power or importance in Greece. Second, I get the feeling that Constantine is holding on to something that will never happen again for the family; it's as if he simply cannot accept that royalty in Greece is over and will never be restored. Third, hanging around other reigning families, with whom he is not related too, seems to make him feel important, more so, when he is being photographed (to me his actions come off that way.) When photographed it seems he is trying to hard to be next to or near to other reigning Kings and Queens by letting the public know that he is just as important; moreover, that he is, in fact, a King.

Please correct me if my sentiments are wrong.:)

She is not obliged to do anything, just keep in mind that if she had not marry Pavlos, nobody would have known who she is. I mean she is nice rich and classy, but who believes that her fashion shops would have a single client, without them belonging to a Crown Princess???? When she opened her shop in Athens full of people went there, obviousely not to see the baby's dresses but to see a nice princess, so she ows something to Greece....

In the US the Miller sisters were known before their marriage and in their own right, not because of their husband. I think in the US more people know Marie-Chantal then Pavlos.

We will never know if she would have had customers or not if she did not marry Pavlos as she did marry him. She doesn't owe anything to Greece, dispite her greek clientele, she sells clothes and some greeks like to buy it, for their own reasons. The only thing the customers can expect is that the clothes are of a descent quality.

First of all, I do not know where are you coming from, but you are not allowed to use such wording like "that country", this is unfair, and I forbid you. The "greek" royal family, who arrived in Greece from Denmark, against people's willings, never managed to really persuate people that they really felt greek!!! For almost one century, they lived in a royal way, thanks to "that country", and sometimes they have been chassed away, because they were unable to make people love them.
Personnally I believe that Costantine does feel greek, and his highest wish is to have been able to keep his obligations and rights to Greece, unfortunately for him, game is lost.

I do not think you can forbid me saying 'that country', or anything else. As I mentioned Greece before in the same sentense it is clear that I mean no disrespect.

There were several plebecides on the monarchy, which showed that the greeks did want this danish dynasty at several stages. I agree that up to a point they were responsable for their own mess. In hindsight it would have been wiser if they stayed more away from politics, which might have made it more difficult for some greek politicians to use them as paws for their own political ambitions. But in the end I believe that it was a part of the greek politicians who mistreated this family very badly indeed. The trials againt Prince Andrew come to mind and the way they treated King Alexander I (who was not allowed to call his own mother & who died without his parents being able to visit or burry him).

Living in a royal way had more to do with the marriages the greek RF made then with the income they derived from Greece. It is well known that the members of the greek RF who did not marry well were relatively poor (for example the parents of the duke of Edinburgh). The Russian marriages, Marie Bonaparte and Nancy Leeds brought some money in the family.

I agree with your remarks on ex-king Constantine II.

She is not dishounouring at all, she is too classy for that, and nothing is wrong with her behavior. She is just using and absolutely not hounouring.

What is she using and what is she not honouring? Greece? How should she be honouring it then?

GlitteringTiaras said:
I have to agree with you, Layla. I simply do not understand the GRF; I'm trying to, but it is just not happening.

With all due respect to the fans of the Greek Royal family, what is the point? To me, GRF are living in the past and perhaps believe that they have some power or importance in Greece. Second, I get the feeling that Constantine is holding on to something that will never happen again for the family; it's as if he simply cannot accept that royalty in Greece is over and will never be restored. Third, hanging around other reigning families, with whom he is not related too, seems to make him feel important, more so, when he is being photographed (to me his actions come off that way.) When photographed it seems he is trying to hard to be next to or near to other reigning Kings and Queens by letting the public know that he is just as important; moreover, that he is, in fact, a King.
Please correct me if my sentiments are wrong.:)

The former Kings of Bulgaria and Roumania, the disposed royal and imperial houses of Austria, Italy, France, Germany/Prussia, Portugal, Russia etc etc. hang out with the same royals as well. This not living in the past but they just know these people (most of them from their youth) and get invited to things. Should they refuse invitations according to you?

The point is that they simply are the disposed royal family of Greece and they will remain the disposed royal family of Greece. You can call it outdated as often as you want, but it is a simple fact which cannot be changed.

How are they living in the past? Most members of the Greek RF are building their own carreers and actually work for a living, they are very much focussed on a future without a leading role in Greece.

Last edited:
Marengo said:
The former Kings of Bulgaria and Roumania, the disposed royal and imperial houses of Austria, Italy, France, Germany/Prussia, Portugal, Russia etc etc. hang out with the same royals as well. I tis not living in the past but they just know these people (most of them from their youth) and get invited to things. Should they refuse invitasions according to you?

Oh goodness, I believe you are reading my sentiments to harshly. So much so, that I will end this conversation by not responding to you; for I am afraid that you will misunderstand what I am trying to say. I don't want to have a confrontation so enough is enough for me.

GlitteringTiaras said:
Oh goodness, I believe you are reading my sentiments to harshly. So much so, that I will end this conversation by not responding to you; for I am afraid that you will misunderstand what I am trying to say. I don't want to have a confrontation so enough is enough for me.

I was not heading for any confrontation, please do not interpret my words that way. My apologies for any misunderstandings.

But still I wonder, as you stated they go to to many royal events, should they refuse the invitations (and if so, why)?

Marengo said:
But in the end I believe that it was a part of the greek politicians who mistreated this family very badly indeed.

If you check the two last centuries history proved that when a country decides to mistreat their royal family, generaly it goes further than just the exile.... remember of the French revolution, of the Tsar's destiny, of what happened to Bavarian Maximilian, first King of Mexico, etc, etc, I do not mean that it was an example to follow, but when big social and political crashes arrive in a country, some times there is no pity,... is sad to say but it happens. So you can not say that Greece mistreated their royals, by JUST chassing them, they could have done much much worst....

Marengo said:
the way they treated King Alexander I (who was not allowed to call his own mother & who died without his parents being able to visit or burry him).
He died very fast, his parents were exiled, when he accepted to be the King he knew that situation, that his father and elder brother had been obliged to resign in his favour, these events are "State Reasons". Sometimes royals or politicians are obliged to accept behaviors who look cruels for the middle human.
Remember in our days, Princess Maxima gor married but she was not allowed to invite her father in the wedding. Would you say that Holland mistreated her???

Marengo said:
Living in a royal way had more to do with the marriages the greek RF made then with the income they derived from Greece. It is well known that the members of the greek RF who did not marry well were relatively poor (for example the parents of the duke of Edinburgh). The Russian marriages, Marie Bonaparte and Nancy Leeds brought some money in the family.
You are right, greek Royals being exiled were quite poor, but this was normal in these days, royal had not realised that their position was not strong enough for the next centuries, and most of them did not hide much money abroad, for these kind of events. All Russian royalty and aristocracy was very poor in exile, last Austro-Hungarian Emperor (I do not recall the name, Zita's husband) also, he was soo poor abroad, he died from cold and starving, that's sad but they were EXILED, this behavior was not proper to Greece towards GRF.

Last edited:
If you check the two last centuries history proved that when a country decides to mistreat their royal family, generaly it goes further than just the exile.... remember of the French revolution, of the Tsar's destiny, of what happened to Bavarian Maximilian, first King of Mexico, etc, etc, I do not mean that it was an example to follow, but when big social and political crashes arrive in a country, some times there is no pity,... is sad to say but it happens. So you can not say that Greece mistreated their royals, by JUST chassing them, they could have done much much worst....

Generally it does not go further then excile, the examples you give are the only ones which were very violant that I can recall. Most treated their royals on excile or not even that. There are plenty of examples: Roumania, Serbia, Bulgaria, Austria, Brazil, Portugal, France (1 time violent, 4 times peacefull: Napoleon, Bourbon, Orleans, Napoleon), Prussia, Wurttemberg, Hannover,etc.

I never said Greece as a whole mistreated them, but certain politicians used them as their pawns/scapegoats, which was easily taken over by their followers. If I created the impression that 'Greece' as a whole mistreated the Greek RF, I want to correct that now, there were and are still plenty of greek people who treat them with respect or at least cordially.

My impressions are mainly based on books I read about the greek royal families and what surprised me most is that the RF was cheered at very often, people trying to persuade the RF not to leave and trying to stop the cars from leaving the palace in 1919 (?), but just a few years before two members of the greek RF were put on a public trial (from what I read, mainly because of public sentiment, manipulated by some parties), and a few years later the public sentiment seemed changed yet again against the monarchy.

He died very fast, his parents were exiled, when he accepted to be the King he knew that situation, that his father and elder brother had been obliged to resign in his favour, these events are "State Reasons". Sometimes royals or politicians are obliged to accept behaviors who look cruels for the middle human.
Remember in our days, Princess Maxima gor married but she was not allowed to invite her father in the wedding. Would you say that Holland mistreated her???

The guy was only 20 (or so) when he accepted and he did his duty to his father, family and country. I agree that he accepted his new role, but to have no contact with his relatives, not even on the telephone, was not part of this and was a rule of a later date.
He died fast, but it still took several days before they allowed any family member to see him. Sadly, this delay stopped his grandmother Queen Olga from beeing with him, and she arrived just half a day late or so. If she was allowed instantly to come, or even better, if his parents/mother were allowed instantly to come, they would have been their on time. It was very cruel of the people who were in charge then.

Being married without a father or to die alone is something different in my opinion. Maxima is not forbidden to see her father now, in fact she even saw him a few hours after the wedding.

You are right, greek Royals being exiled were quite poor, but this was normal in these days, royal had not realised that their position was not strong enough for the next centuries, and most of them did not hide much money abroad, for these kind of events. All Russian royalty and aristocracy was very poor in exile, last Austro-Hungarian Emperor (I do not recall the name, Zita's husband) also, he was soo poor abroad, he died from cold and starving, that's sad but they were EXILED, this behavior was not proper to Greece towards GRF.

My remarks on the financial status of the greek RF was a reply to the remark that the RF could keep up their status because of Greece. I thought you implied that the greek RF received much money from Greece and they could live in style because of that. I pointed out that much more was needed to live like that, even when they still were in Greece. Prince Nicholas financed his palace with the money of his russian wife for example. Prince Andrew, who did not have a rich wife, lived relatively modest, hence the stories that Prince Phillip was born on 'a kitchentable' (which I read in several books about the british royals, though it is probably completely wrong).
I agree with your assesment on the relatively poor financial status of exciled royalty.

Having all this said, I hope you do not take my comments the wrong way, I have nothing against Greece or greeks.

From Diez Minutos (I think)
Scan008a.jpg

purple_platinum said:
from getty images :
LONDON - DECEMBER 5:

Crown Prince Pavlos and Princess Marie-Chantal of Greece arrive at the VIP preview screening of "A Different Story", a documentary based on singer George Michael's life, at the Curzon Mayfair on December 5, 2005 in London, England.
More pics from press.contrastphoto

Attachments

• 6747756.jpg
    6747756.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 553
  • 6747765.jpg
    6747765.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 511
  • 6747791.jpg
    6747791.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 478
Like Marengo, I too want to apologize if I offended anyone or if it appears as if Greece and the Greeks were disrespected. There were many excellent points made including the one about Pavlos leading the way to doing more for the country of Greece. However, I guess I'm just old fashioned. I believe in loyalty. Thus, I believe that even though Marie-Chantal is not obliged to do more for Greece, she should do more out of loyalty for her husband. He did give her a title which many women secretly covet. (What woman hasn't fantasized about marrying a prince?) Take a look at Audrey Hepburn and Angelina Jolie. Look at what they have done for improverished nations. Although my meeting Marie-Chantal was positive, I still feel that volunteering in Greek schools, reading to Greek kids, and helping poor Greek neighborhoods is really what she should be doing, instead of opening up baby stores that sell clothes at outrageously high prices. By the way, I am not Greek. I'm actually Puerto Rican, but I've always been a huge fan of royalty. Thus, I'm not saying this because I'm a Greek patriot, but because I'm old fashioned and believe that Marie-Chantal should be loyal to her husband's title. I feel her attitude should be, "Look Greek people, I know I'm not Greek, however, I'll learn to be Greek by supporting your schools and neighborhood." Angelina Jolie not only helped Cambodia, but she supported it by adopting one of their poor citizens. If a nutcase like Angelina Jolie can show that kind of honor and support, then why can't Marie-Chantal. I hate to disrespect the Latina sister, but even though she is nice, Marie-Chantal is as materialistic as Jennifer Lopez.

Leonor´s Christening

Hello

Pavlos And Marie Chantal Were In Leonor´s Baptised. I Didn´t See Any Photos Of Them. I Watched On Tv That Marie Chantal Was Very Beatiful. She Wore A Brown Suit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom