Education of the children of Pavlos and Marie-Chantal

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
King Konstantinos,Queen Anne Maria,Prince Nikolaos and Prince Philippos consider themselves greek and declare Greece as their homeland.If you are greek you can live where you want but you will teach greek to your children...princes or not.

Pavlos and MC live in London, don't they? They obviously don't consider themselves Greek, so why should they force their children to learn a language that will be useless to them as children? What's the point? And "you will" who are you to say that?

King Konstantinos,Queen Anne Maria,Prince Nikolaos and Prince Philippos consider themselves greek and declare Greece as their homeland.If you are greek you can live where you want but you will teach greek to your children...princes or not.
I suppose they do not think seriously on perspective of the restoration of monarchy in Greece.They do not need this at the moment.For example,Russian Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna speaks Russian well as she really considers the possibiilty to restore the monarchy in Russia.

Not surprised if this couple is not loved by the greek peoople then.

learning languages is not pointless!!! maybe you dont use them on your daily life but its never enough to learn more.
all the foreign people that live in my country Portugal never considers themselfs portuguese people, im sure Pavlos (despite living in london) considers himself as Greek, since he has greek roots and he was born in Greece himself!

If he consider himself greek he must teach greek to his children doesn't matter where he lives or what he works.

Cory said:
If he consider himself greek he must teach greek to his children doesn't matter where he lives or what he works.

He 'mustn't' do anything he doesn't want to.
If the Greek people don't like them, which isn't a surprise considering MC as a general person, then i doubt it's the language issue. What's the matter with that? The monarchy isn't going to be restored anytime soon, Greece seems to be a holiday destination for PP and MC.

It is not only the problem of Monarchy to be restored or not.If Pavlos considers himself greek his children must learn the language.

Why must? Can his children not choose later on in their life?

If you are greek your children must know greek.If you are hungarian your children musyt know hungarian.It is called IDENTITY.

I don't think it's compulsory for the children to speak Greek and for all we know they might be fluent. The monarchy is unlikely to be restored. The family seems settled in London and the children are unlikely to ever need to speak Greek. They have a special family history but it's not unusual if they don't speak Greek or don't speak it very well. Many children of foreign parents don't speak their parents' language. Some decide to pick it up in later life, some don't.

I can't understand somebody who forgets his own roots.

I can't understand somebody who forgets his own roots.
But it seems they do not have any Greek blood(correct me if I am wrong).Maybe they do not feel the support of Greek people and that is another important factor.

King Konstantinos have always felt to be greek even if his forefathers belonged to different european royal families.His eldest son considers himself to be English,American or Greek?

Possible King? Are you kidding yourself?
What is the point in learning the language of a country you visit occasionally and one you will never reign over?

From my point of view it is rather narrow minded to ask what's the point of learning a language not spoken in the country to live in. It's never pointless to learn a language! It is way easier for a child to learn a language as it is for an adult. Being raised bilingual doesn't only help to speak those two languages you grew up with but also to learn more languages more easily. Moreover it looks better on anyone's CV when you are fluent in more than one language.

Back to the original topic... I remember an interview of MC she gave a few years ago (obviously I don't know if it is true what she said but anyway). In the interview she said that she once started learning Greek but due to all the other things going on in her life, she stopped having lessons. After some time she picks it up again but it goes down again. I assume that her Greek isn't any good. She also said that when Pavlos and the kids are on their own that they usually speak Greek.

Last edited:
If Pavlos speaks Greek with the kids it's wonderful.

If you are greek your children must know greek.If you are hungarian your children musyt know hungarian.It is called IDENTITY.

Enough of the tantrum! Why do you assume that Pavlos's children don't know any Greek!? Pavlos's children spend every summer in Greece, they know some Greek, although it seems they are not able to speak it very well. (But then neither did Constantine and Anne-Marie's 2 youngest children either, they seemed to have worked on it as adults) They are very well aware of their Greek identity and are growing up with a knowledge of Greece as a country since they spend time there. (Unlike Pavlos, who didn't go back until he was an adult. Marie-Chantal spent summers in Greece when she was growing up as well, so she's got memories of a childhood summers in Greece) Marie-Chantal from those people who have come across her in Greece, they report that she understands Greek reasonably well, (it's obvious that she can follow a conversation) her spoken Greek is very limited.

I have a hard time really feeling that the Greek "royals" are Greek, basically because they were plucked from an existing royal family after someone determined that Greece wanted/needed a royal family. I know the argument that alot of royal families come from outside the country they reign or reigned over, but dropping Danish royals into Greece and calling them Greek royalty just doesn't do much for me, historically speaking. And the Greek naturals that I've spoken to all pretty much feel the same way.
That said, I agree w those who say learning a language is never a disadvantage. There are plenty of people who speak Spanish, French, German, etc. who don't live in those countries. I think the more languages people know the better. And I am always impressed with people who speak more than one language.
I can only hope P Pavlos speaks Greek to his children and has encouraged them in learning the language. Regardless of if the monarchy is ever restored - and I agree, it's highly unlikely - it'll be good for the kids to know the language of their father/grandfather, etc. If they were my children I'd have them learn Danish, too, as it is their grandmother's/ancestors' native tongue.

I think they should learn Greek, if they do not know, because their ancestors did a lot for Greece, the territorial extension Greece currently has, it is thanks to King George and all his descendants. And the great work that made the monarchy after World War II in difficult times for a small country like Greece were able to attract significant investment.and for all that they are Greek and I think this is the most important reason.

okey!They are Greek, and history proves it, I'm agree with you. today in Greece there are politicians who have less greek blood than them and are in power .Marie Chantal doesn´t know greek but I read her children have a teacher of Greek

I agree that knowing languages as much as possible might be the best, but shouldn´t the PARENTS be the one to decide what language the children should learn or not as they are not in office and do not get any taxpayers money?! And even more so, when they are not "really" greek, as some people here state!
I´d get furious if a stranger told me how I should bring up my kids, what language they should learn etc.

If it´s only a matter of learning as much languages as possible, why not libanese or chinese, for instance, instead of greek?!

Still, I don´t know how the Crown Princess deserves these constant negative comments?! She doesn´t hit her children, she has no affairs, she´s not wasting taxpayers money etc etc. Instead, the gave the royal family 5 beautiful children she loves dearly! So what do you want?! You can be very rich and a nice person at the sme time, you know!

The prince Pavlo is greek . He was born in Athens in 1967, His nationality was eliminated by politicans, but no by his will.

The prince Pavlo is greek . He was born in Athens in 1967, His nationality was eliminated by politicans, but no by his will.

I know he is! But some people (also on this board) seem to doubt that the family is greek altogether...

I agree I am tired of the blood theory .... This looks like a medical report .... they have a Danish passport by politicians problems , but they feel Greek, they are Greek at heart, this is said Teodora . I think they should know Greek, not as a legal obligation, because their position will not change by this motive, yes by other motive but no by language. Know greek will not change their current situation. But I think they should know it by their ancestors, were kings of Greece. This is not a legal obligation to them, this is my opinio.

I'll be good and I will defend to Marie Chantal. Greece won the Festival of the song "Eurovision" with a song in English in 2005. In the festival of Eurovision each singer or group are representing your country ..... Why should she to speak Greek, if the songs that usually represent Greece in the Eurovision Festival are in English?

You can know and use as many languages you want but first of all you should speak your own.The children of Crown Prince Pavlos are greek and they must have greek as their first language.I hope Crown Prince Pavlos takes care of that.

From my point of view it is rather narrow minded to ask what's the point of learning a language not spoken in the country to live in. It's never pointless to learn a language! It is way easier for a child to learn a language as it is for an adult. Being raised bilingual doesn't only help to speak those two languages you grew up with but also to learn more languages more easily. Moreover it looks better on anyone's CV when you are fluent in more than one language.

Back to the original topic... I remember an interview of MC she gave a few years ago (obviously I don't know if it is true what she said but anyway). In the interview she said that she once started learning Greek but due to all the other things going on in her life, she stopped having lessons. After some time she picks it up again but it goes down again. I assume that her Greek isn't any good. She also said that when Pavlos and the kids are on their own that they usually speak Greek.
i totally agree with you.

if Pavlos wants to teach his children greek or not, is on his free will! but learning languages is never pointless, even if you dont use them on your daily life. for exemple: i am portuguese, and i speak more 3 languages (spanish, english and japanese), spanish is my neighboor country which is very useful, english is the universal language and japanese...i never met japanese people in my life nor i have conversations, BUT i speak it (normal not that fluent) and im happy i do, because when i see doramas or anime i feel happy to learnt it.
so my point is, if he wants or not to learn their children greek its his decision but it is more wise to learn them, because it might help them on their future and make them easier to speak another languages!

Nikolopoulus said:

Actually, 'Crown Prince Pavlos of Greece,' as he was born in Greece, will always be considered 'Greek.' I sense that he and Marie-Chantel, along with Constantine and Anne-Marie, are keeping their fingers crossed that one day very soon the Greek people will restore the monarchy in Greece. In some ways I feel sorry for these four people, and in other ways, I think they are just absolutely pathetic! Just to see their names written on the Greek 'walk of fame,' and to entitle themselves to a very nice 'salary,' are the two main reasons that keep these four going. The
way I see it, this former royal family is just that, 'former.' Their royal titles are technically not even legal. They do not understand that a used-to-be royal family is simply not royal any more - their titles are only used as a courtesy. Unfortunately,
'pathetic' and 'greedy' are two nice adjectives I can use for some members of this former royal family - this family was 'kicked under the bus' a long time ago. All things change sooner or later, and various members of this family need to open their eyes and actually see reality for what it is. But I guess they cannot see beyond their own financial and other self-centered expectations that the GRF will be restored to power. Again, absolutely pathetic and very sad indeed!

I am Greek, I live in Greece, I believe in the monarchy, I like the royal family, and it turns out for you I'm pathetic, for believe in these people. If i would comunist is possible that I would not pathetic, but I prefer be monarchy and pathetic

I am sorry such hard feeling are expressed on this thread, I would just like to say to Stef that in my "absolute stranger" eye, the GRF has grown to represent an example of dignity and true grandeur in adversity, and that is why I take a lot of inspiration from their lives, although I normally should have nothing to do with this kind of persons. There would be a lot more to say about what they experienced and what their lives and reactions say ; just be proud of what you are, and of what and who you believe in.
Friendly yours.

Back
Top Bottom