Which Royal, Princely or Noble houses are the Grimaldis related to? And how?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thtregoddess11

Nobility
City
Country
United States
I saw this in the Swedish thread and thought it could be interesting here.

Let's start with the ovbious-
Monaco:
Albert, Caroline, Stephanie and Elisabeth, Christian and Christine were all 1st cousins, via their parents.
Andrea, Charlottte, Pierre, Jazmin, Louis, Pauline, Camille, Alexandra, and Alexandre are all first cousins via their parents. So are Leticia, Keith, Melanie and Jean. This generation combined are all second cousins (Rainier's grandchildren and Antoinette's grandchildren).
Leticia and Keith's children-Antoinette's great grandchildren-Sylvestre, Rose, Christine, Alexia, Vittoria, Andrea, (along with whatever children the Casiraghis, Ducruets, Camille, Alex, Alexandre, and Jazmin have) are all second cousins. And their children are second cousins as well to Caroline, Albert and Stephanie's children.

England (I think, feel free to correct me)
Rainier and Antoinette are great grandchildren of Lady Mary Victoria Hamilton.

Baden
Rainier and Antointte are great-great grandchildren of Princess Marie Amelie of Baden.

Saxony
Lady Mary Victoria Hamilton was first cousin to of Queen Carola of Saxony, which means the present day Grimaldis are highly distantly related to the Swedish royals as Queen Carola was the last Saxony Royal and it was joined with the Swedish Royal House in the 1750s.

Portugal
Lady Mary Victoria Hamilton was 1st cousin to Queen Stephanie of Portugal.

Romania
Lady Mary Victoria was also first cousin to King Carol I of Romania.

Belgium
Lady Mary was also first cousin to Princess Marie of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen, who is the mother of King Albert I, thus a great-great-great grandmother of Albert II, King of Belgium.

France
Lady Mary Victoria was also a 3rd cousin of Emperor Napoleon III of France.

And I'm sure there are more. Anyone have any?

Last edited:
Countess Antoinette de Merode, the mother of Prince Albert I, was the sister of Princess Louise dal Pozzo della Cisterna, whose daughter Maria Vittoria married to Prince Amedeo of Savoy, Duke of Aosta (they are the great-grandparents of the current Duke of Aosta).

Baden
Rainier and Antointte are great-great grandchildren of Princess Marie Amelie of Baden.

Saxony
Lady Mary Victoria Hamilton was first cousin to of Queen Carola of Saxony, which means the present day Grimaldis are highly distantly related to the Swedish royals as Queen Carola was the last Saxony Royal and it was joined with the Swedish Royal House in the 1750s.
If you want a connection between the royal families of Monaco and Sweden it's the Baden connection you have to follow rather than the Saxon, as the Saxony line ends with Carola, as she was childless.

Queen Carola's paternal grandparents were Frederica of Baden and her husband, the deposed king Gustav IV Adolf of Sweden. Their daughter Sophie Wilhelmine (Carola's aunt) was the mother of Frederick I, Grand Duke of Baden and his daughter Victoria in her turn was married to king Gustav V of Sweden.

Frederica of Baden was the paternal aunt of princess Marie Amelie of Baden.

The Baden connection also ties Monaco to the Romanovs as the youngest sister of Fredrica was Wilhelmine, and she was the great-grandmother of both Nicholas II of Russia and his wife Alexandra.

Last edited:
:previous:
Incorrect. The present house of Sweden is Swedish Royal House of Bernadotte, which took control of Sweden after the Saxony Monarchy was abolished.

I believe it is Lady Mary Victoria's Baden connection that ties the Grimaldi to the Bernadottes not her Saxon cousin. Her mother was a Princess of Baden. Princess Victoria of Baden married Gustaf V of Sweden and her descendent is Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden.
Queen Carola of Sweden, nee Saxony, is not the ancestress of the Swedish King.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom