The Palais De Monaco

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LadyMacAlpine said:
It was around 60 areas of farm land when Rainier bought it.
Sixty acres sound like a lot but actually it isn't if you want to keep the press away. they can telephoto across 30 acres pretty easily so if the house sat in the middle of the property they could be pretty exposed. I guess from the photos I saw last summer and the ones just posted, that most of the property sits in front of the house toward the main road and from the views of Albert on his balcony it is pretty much of a drop-off where the house is located But still, the press can get shots if they really want them but maybe only from below? Just a thought for when we see photos supposedly from Roc Angel that weren't taken with permission.

Suonymona said:
That beautiful colour shot of Rainier and Grace taken the summer last before she died was done at Roc Angel? Oh, that is fabulous. I didn't know that Roc Angel was so big. You couldn't see anything of the house or buildings there.
If I'm not mistaken the book with photo's of Roc Agel was by Howell Conant. If it's the same person he also photographed the wedding and the yearly official photo of the family. Sorry I haven't been able to get to the library and it'll be a while before I can get there. I sent a PM to Tbhrc to see if she has the book to post photo's from it.

I am most aware of Howell Conant. He photographed Grace for years in Hollywood and was the Grimaldi's unofficial family photographer.

Sadly, I have never seen his books. They are difficult and/or expensive to get!

Does anyone know if there are times when parts of the Palace are open to the public? Maybe at certain times in the summer when many members of the family seem to be on their yachts....? ;)

CasiraghiTrio said:
Does anyone know if there are times when parts of the Palace are open to the public? Maybe at certain times in the summer when many members of the family seem to be on their yachts....? ;)

You can find info about Palace's State Apartments available for public here (at the bottom of page):flowers:

Ianna said:
You can find info about Palace's State Apartments available for public here (at the bottom of page):flowers:
Thanks for finding that info. I wonder how many visitors they get a year?

Great description of the main rooms and chambers: Link

Some interesting facts about the palace: Link

And a nice plan of the palace:

Pic

Description:

A: Entrance; B, C: State apartments, double loggia, and horse-shoe stairs; D: Future site of chapel; E, F: All Saints Tower; G: en:Serravalle; H: South Tower; K: Middle Tower; M: St Mary's Tower.

Last edited:
tbhrc said:
Great description of the main rooms and chambers: Link

Some interesting facts about the palace: Link

And a nice plan of the palace:

Pic

Description:

A: Entrance; B, C: State apartments, double loggia, and horse-shoe stairs; D: Future site of chapel; E, F: All Saints Tower; G: en:Serravalle; H: South Tower; K: Middle Tower; M: St Mary's Tower.

Thank you for the links! Very interesting!

Anyone know what N is? Wiki doesn't mention it, I'm guessing the private quarters? And where do all the civil servants work? And now we have a map, where exactly are they building the new offices?

Questions, questions... :lol:

does anyone have any pictures of the inside of the palace.

jspate said:
does anyone have any pictures of the inside of the palace.
Many have been posted in this thread if you look back at the other pages. Enjoy

Ghislaine said:
Anyone know what N is? Wiki doesn't mention it, I'm guessing the private quarters? And where do all the civil servants work? And now we have a map, where exactly are they building the new offices?

Questions, questions... :lol:

My question is, where does Charlene sleep?

sashajones said:
My question is, where does Charlene sleep?

If it's like last year, at his apartment in Monaco not at the palace but who knows about this year!

The blue kitchen in the picture of Stefano, Caroline and their children is the one in Roc Agel.
I read that in een interview with Karl Lagerfeld (who made the pictures) in Paris Match

Sorry accidently pressed reply...
It was a Paris Match from 1988 with an article about the 5th anniversary of the wedding of Stefano and Caroline. They took the picture there because there where people working on the plumming of Clos St Pierre.
The other pictures where they are all dressed up were taken at La Vigie, Lagerfelds house in Monaco at that time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am most aware of Howell Conant. He photographed Grace for years in Hollywood and was the Grimaldi's unofficial family photographer.

Sadly, I have never seen his books. They are difficult and/or expensive to get!

Just google his name and you will find links to places that sell his books. Keep on looking at ebay.

I seem to recall that while Princess Grace and Prince Rainier were alive, that the family spent a lot of time at a vacation home? at the top of the hill above Monaco (in France). I think it was called 'Roc Agel'.

Is it still a family possession?

I think that Prince Albert inherited it. But I wonder, since Princess Grace died driving on the road from Roc Agel to Monaco, this place might have sad memories. Prince Albert said that his mother awakened him that morning as he was sleeping to tell him goodby. The next news he had of his mother was that she had been in an accident. Could the family want to drive the same road again?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think they visit frecuently Roc Angel nowadays

I think that Prince Albert inherited it. But I wonder, since Princess Grace died driving on the road from Roc Agel to Monaco, this place might have sad memories. Prince Albert said that his mother awakened him that morning as he was sleeping to tell him goodby. The next news he had of his mother was that she had been in an accident. Could the family want to drive the same road again?

I know that Stephanie went to Roc Agel after the whole Daniel incident . And it was said that Stephanie will not ride down that road she will take another road instead even if she is with friends and not driving she insist that they not take that road .

New photo's I scanned this morning.
Grace in her office that's now Albert's.

An old photo thats been posted before. Look in the far right of this one and you can see the location the old photo was taken in. Rainier and Albert also in the Grand Salon.

Wow, thank you very much Lady Alpine for these pics. I've never seen the new private wing the way your photos showed them. From what I read before, that wing which houses the Princely Family's private apartments stood on an old one which was destroyed during the French Revolution.

Thanks for the living room photos, during the 70s several photos were taken there. Apparently it kept the same decor from when Grace was alive till Rainier's death. I saw several years ago a photo of Albert in the living room and he had redecorated it. There was a painting of Charlotte attending 2000's Grand Prix (the famous pink scarf photo). Albert also changed the upholstery of the couches in the Hall of Mirrors where Grace's painting is.

Where do the doors on the Gallery of Hercules lead to? I suppose those who've been to the Palace tours can answer, unless those doors/rooms are locked and not on view during the paid tour. Thanks.

I have seen the dvd on the Prince's Palace produced by A&E, and it said that the Gallery of Hercules lead to the Hall of Mirrors. I'm wondering how the rooms are laid out in the tour.

The doors in the Hercules gallery lead to the army´s room.:flowers:The hall of mirrors is next to the army´s room

The doors in the Hercules gallery lead to the army´s room.:flowers:The hall of mirrors is next to the army´s room

Thanks Zubiar for your response ... Always the expert:)

Is the Army's room/Officer's room lavishly decorated? I don't think a photograph of it has been featured ... it's always the Throne Room, the Blue Room and the Gallery of Hercules that are featured. Beautiful rooms, but kinda boring that we always see the same stuff. I've read that the palace consists mostly of offices and that there are only a few suites for visiting royalty (Rainier and Grace, by Jeffrey Robinson).

Where is the entrance for the Grimaldis to the palace? I mean not on the square before the palace... And where can you travel by car to the palace? Does it have garage? And where is the way to it?

The Palais de Monaco, along with the whole Principality - is now on Google street view.

Back
Top Bottom