The Palais De Monaco

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Donna said:
For a palace that is two storey high?? How lazy can people be? Wouldn't it rather be a "beam me up, Scotty" thing?

maybe it's a phone booth for privacy, or just for effect.

you know Star Trek in Iceland?!!

My guesses would've been either a private bathroom so that he doen't have to walk far to find one, or there's a security guard in there for emergencies.

From what I have read in biographies, Prince Rainier's office is located in the palace tower, a level above Grace's. It's not in the main wing which appears to have two storeys mostly. So having an elevator in a tower is much more understandable.

How many storeys there are in the tower, and actually how many towers there are in the Palais Princier, I have no clue.

lea said:
maybe it's a phone booth for privacy, or just for effect.

you know Star Trek in Iceland?!!
O, yes, Star Trek is world wide, at least in Europe! ;)

Other Palaces of the Grimaldi Family

I hope this is the right thread for my question about other palaces of the Grimaldi family:
I found that there was a ‘Hôtel de Monaco’ in Paris (a hôtel particulier, being a private Townhouse or Mansion of a noble family). It was build from 1772-77 in the 57, rue Saint-Dominique by the architect Alexandre Théodore Brongniart for Marie-Catherine Princes of Monaco (wife of Honore III of Monaco). The original building was replaced in 1838 by a mansion for William Williams Hope, nevertheless it is still called ‘Hôtel de Monaco’ and is now the polish Embassy.
I am wondering if the Grimaldi still own a Hôtel particulier in Paris ? Does anybody know something about this?

In the Tosca's post, (#198), we can see the black balconies of the Clos Saint-Pierre, the PC's villa.

There is apparently a 5 story extension being built onto the palace. does anyone have any information about this? When is it to be finished and what is it to be used for? What does the archiecture of it look like?Any information will be most appreciated. Thanks!

hibou said:
There is apparently a 5 story extension being built onto the palace. does anyone have any information about this? When is it to be finished and what is it to be used for? What does the archiecture of it look like?Any information will be most appreciated. Thanks!
I think i read something on the P.Albert forum

rosana said:
I think i read something on the P.Albert forum

Thanks Rosana I will look there!

Thanks for the beautiful pictures of the royal palace and information on the palace. I know a little about the palace as well the blue room in the palace is where viisting heads of state are seated to meet with the prince.The chairs in the blue room chairs are made of silk as well as the walls. The floor in the blue room is made of marble. The white room has the famous picture of the late beauty Princess Grace wearing a white gown with a tiara on her head and wearing the royal family sash. It is considered to be the most beautiful room in the palace. In the summer the royal court yard is used as concert grounds for the Monaco orchestra.

Dumb question - does anyone have a palace floor plan layout so we can get some sense of how the formal rooms connect otherwise it's kind of hard to get a feeling of how things flow. The pictures are beautiful and very interesting. I liked the ariel shot too which is what made me think of the floor plan - trying to figure out how the rooms flow. Also I'm trying to figure out whether he is actually building a new building .the press release said it was part of the structure but I'm confused if you were gutting an older part of the palace why would you need a crane? I'm confused!

hibou said:
Dumb question - does anyone have a palace floor plan layout so we can get some sense of how the formal rooms connect otherwise it's kind of hard to get a feeling of how things flow. The pictures are beautiful and very interesting. I liked the ariel shot too which is what made me think of the floor plan - trying to figure out how the rooms flow. Also I'm trying to figure out whether he is actually building a new building .the press release said it was part of the structure but I'm confused if you were gutting an older part of the palace why would you need a crane? I'm confused!

I am thinking that type of information is probably not readily available to the public just based on security issues. Someone probably does have access (sorry, its not me:wacko: ) but I would think that the information would not be up to date.

politikgirl said:
Sorry, I don't know too much about royal residences in Monaco, but is there just one palace? That would make sense, considering Monaco is a principality.
I seem to recall that while Princess Grace and Prince Rainier were alive, that the family spent a lot of time at a vacation home? at the top of the hill above Monaco (in France). I think it was called 'Roc Agel'.

Is it still a family possession?

Zonk said:
I am thinking that type of information is probably not readily available to the public just based on security issues. Someone probably does have access (sorry, its not me:wacko: ) but I would think that the information would not be up to date.
Thanks That's true Security now a days must be tight. But do we know if he is building a new building behind the palace hense the crane? The yahoo article seemed to indicate that he was gutting an exisiting building?

Even the new palais renovation plans are a guarded secret. Apparently part of the expansion will include a sorely needed security update.

Albert is bringing up to code (and above) a building that has been shut off for years and would be ripe for demolition otherwise.

I imagine the crane would be to pull things out a hole rather than break them down to carry out a door--like how pianos are delivered into apartments through windows because they are too cumbersome to get through doors and around stairs.

Suonymona said:
Even the new palais renovation plans are a guarded secret. Apparently part of the expansion will include a sorely needed security update.

Albert is bringing up to code (and above) a building that has been shut off for years and would be ripe for demolition otherwise.

I imagine the crane would be to pull things out a hole rather than break them down to carry out a door--like how pianos are delivered into apartments through windows because they are too cumbersome to get through doors and around stairs.

Thanks well can't blame him for updating things! It's probably easier to install new offices with latest technology in a gutted building than to try and update and centuries old palace with new everything. It got confusing as there were some posts I believe that thought it was for his personal use but it sounds like it's stricly for his government offices like the white house annex is used for. I was thinking maybe that would open more rooms for public viewing. It would be fun to see Rainier's office and if a lot of the offices were moved out of the building it might make it more of a tourist attraction. I think there would be a lot of people who would love to see Rainier office.

hrhcp said:
I seem to recall that while Princess Grace and Prince Rainier were alive, that the family spent a lot of time at a vacation home? at the top of the hill above Monaco (in France). I think it was called 'Roc Agel'.

Is it still a family possession?

Yes, the Roc Agel is still owned by Prince Albert. I have read that he always liked to go up there because it is more relaxed than the palace.

Glistening Seas

:shock: u-m-m-m what is a roc agel for those of us whom don't have a familiarity with the wording anyone with a c-l-u-e to this :blush::chicken: :innocent: well, this new wing sounds wonderful there's alot of memories wrapped up in the older portion which will we be wonderful for the public to share. :whistling:

Last edited by a moderator:
Glistening Seas said:
:shock: u-m-m-m what is a roc agel for those of us whom don't have a familiarity with the wording anyone with a c-l-u-e to this :blush::chicken: :innocent: well, this new wing sounds wonderful there's alot of memories wrapped up in the older portion which will we be wonderful for the public to share. :whistling:
Roc Agel is a home Albert now has in the mountains. It's the one Grace and Stephanie were coming from when the accident happened. It's also said to be where Jazmin stayed during her visit last year with Albert. I saw an photo of it with the family around a table some time ago. Grace decorated it. One of the bathrooms had black and white photo's of her on the wall. I also posted a photo from Rex Features of Albert on the balcony in his picture thread last year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't the kitchen painted a robin's egg blue that Grace loved?

There is a set of photos taken in the 1980's not too long before Stefano died that had all three Casiraghi kids and their parents in that kitchen---Caroline even wore a tiara in one.

Suonymona said:
Isn't the kitchen painted a robin's egg blue that Grace loved?

There is a set of photos taken in the 1980's not too long before Stefano died that had all three Casiraghi kids and their parents in that kitchen---Caroline even wore a tiara in one.
I didn't know robin's egg blue was her favorite color! Does any one have that photo to post it would be interesting to see

Also there is the chateau outside Paris that Princess Charlotte lived in that Albert now ownes as well. I read an article years ago that said there had been a fire at the chateau and Rainier and Grace had to rebuilt or redo parts of it.

LadyMacAlpine said:
I'll check my sources.
This is what I located. Rainier purchased the small farm house in 1957 however I have also heard it was right after Albert's birth so that part isn't accurate. The 60 acre Provencal stone farmhouse, had massive wooden beams, and enlarged into an American ranch style family home. The kitchen floor was red terra cotta. There was also a glass-roofed conservatory. Rainier planted a garden as well. After Albert got the estate he had a ton of sand brought in to make a beach volleyball court off the pool area.

The kitchen picture of Caroline and Stefano with their kids was taken in Caroline's Clos St. Pierre house.

Thanks!

OT, but does Caroline still own it? Does she own anything she purchased with Stefano besides the PAChA?

LadyMacAlpine said:
I also posted a photo from Rex Features of Albert on the balcony in his picture thread last year.
LadyMacAlpine, I am curious how Roc Agel looks like. I know there were some pics of it in Paris Match last year:unsure: . Could you write where I can find on this board that posted pic you are mentioning here...:blush:

Lakshmi said:
LadyMacAlpine, I am curious how Roc Agel looks like. I know there were some pics of it in Paris Match last year:unsure: . Could you write where I can find on this board that posted pic you are mentioning here...:blush:
It's a photo of Albert sitting on the railing of the porch in his picture thread. If my memory is correct this photo was taken there as well. Also an avatar of Rainier and Grace leaning on a fence taken on the grounds. Corbis: photography, rights, assignment, motion.}

LadyMacAlpine. Thank you for your response. Wonderful picture of the family.:)

LadyMacAlpine said:
It's a photo of Albert sitting on the railing of the porch in his picture thread. If my memory is correct this photo was taken there as well. Also an avatar of Rainier and Grace leaning on a fence taken on the grounds. Corbis: photography, rights, assignment, motion.}

That beautiful colour shot of Rainier and Grace taken the summer last before she died was done at Roc Angel? Oh, that is fabulous. I didn't know that Roc Angel was so big. You couldn't see anything of the house or buildings there.

Suonymona said:
That beautiful colour shot of Rainier and Grace taken the summer last before she died was done at Roc Angel? Oh, that is fabulous. I didn't know that Roc Angel was so big. You couldn't see anything of the house or buildings there.
It was around 60 areas of farm land when Rainier bought it.

Back
Top Bottom