The Late Princess Grace: Pictures and News Part VII

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Amazing photo of her passport, where is it now? And her name is written as "Grace KELLY Grimaldi". I never heard that she kept her maiden name.

I would like to now as well where is it now. It's interesting to see the signature as Grace Kelly Grimaldi, i've never saw on another official document before.

In another posting on this site a member opined that the family name of the princely house of Monaco-Menton was properly, de Polignac ( Price Albert's paternal grandfather being a count of Polignac) so that the late Princess Consort use of the surname Kelly-Grimaldi is interesting. It is of course a tradition in America, Spain and formerly Scotland (other nations too) that ladies of rank keep and incorporate their own family's surname.

In another posting on this site a member opined that the family name of the princely house of Monaco-Menton was properly, de Polignac ( Price Albert's paternal grandfather being a count of Polignac) so that the late Princess Consort use of the surname Kelly-Grimaldi is interesting. It is of course a tradition in America, Spain and formerly Scotland (other nations too) that ladies of rank keep and incorporate their own family's surname.
In this case, I would refer to the British royal family, who are still technically the House of Windsor and publicly use the Windsor surname, though all of Elizabeth and Philip's children privately use the surname of "Mountbatten-Windsor". It would seem that though a child's surname is generally passed down through the male, in such cases where the wife is the one of higher rank and succession and the husband marries into the family, to keep the continuation of the family the wife's surname is used. So even though Louis was a Polignac, Rainier and Antoinette would have been given the surname Grimaldi to preserve the family house seeing as they were next in line after their mother. Privately though, I've heard Stephanie prefers to use the surname "Polignac", as was done when she was at school so that the paparazzi had less chance of catching wind than if they read "Stephanie Grimaldi" on the roll. I've no idea what Caroline goes under though. Legally she's "Caroline von Hannover" but Christian (her step-son) just uses "Christian Hannover" doesn't he? :ermm: But indeed, it is still interesting that privately Grace used "Kelly-Grimaldi". I would have thought she would have dropped her maiden name all together. Though I guess it would have been easier or something to keep Kelly as well. It's a great photo though. Thanks Nat! :flowers:

In this case, I would refer to the British royal family, who are still technically the House of Windsor and publicly use the Windsor surname, though all of Elizabeth and Philip's children privately use the surname of "Mountbatten-Windsor". It would seem that though a child's surname is generally passed down through the male, in such cases where the wife is the one of higher rank and succession and the husband marries into the family, to keep the continuation of the family the wife's surname is used. So even though Louis was a Polignac, Rainier and Antoinette would have been given the surname Grimaldi to preserve the family house seeing as they were next in line after their mother. Privately though, I've heard Stephanie prefers to use the surname "Polignac", as was done when she was at school so that the paparazzi had less chance of catching wind than if they read "Stephanie Grimaldi" on the roll. I've no idea what Caroline goes under though. Legally she's "Caroline von Hannover" but Christian (her step-son) just uses "Christian Hannover" doesn't he? :ermm: But indeed, it is still interesting that privately Grace used "Kelly-Grimaldi". I would have thought she would have dropped her maiden name all together. Though I guess it would have been easier or something to keep Kelly as well. It's a great photo though. Thanks Nat! :flowers:

How enchanthing was she?!!! How could anyone not be mesmerized by her loveliness? Not to mention that, from what I've read and heard, she was, in Jimmy Stewart's words, "just about the nicest person" you could ever meet. Thanks for this delightful pic, flowerpower. Her warmth and diginity shine through.:heart:

If you really think it about... its a shame really..... All the sacrifices and the image control that Rainier asked of Grace and the biggest gamble of all to actually marry PR and bring the principality riches, recognition and attention on the world's scale.

If they could have had a crystal ball and saw the future of their son and heir :ermm:...tsk...tsk Grace could have kept on making movies for the rest of her life- The royal image has ceased with the passing of Grace and Rainier in Monaco

It looks like a U.S. passport so I can see why she might keep the Kelly name. That raises all kinds of interesting questions. Were they afraid that France might try to take over Monaco? Was she hedging her bets that her marriage might not work out? Why didn't she use a Monaco passport?

Jeffrey Robinson makes a brief reference to Grace holding an American passport in his book "Rainier & Grace":
"She never hid the fact that she was American & for a long time she & all three children held American passports. Eventually they let them go for practical reasons - the United States is the only country in the world that taxes anyone holding an American passport on his or her worldwide income." Robinson goes on to discuss how Grace continued to miss things about the States & tried to recreate some aspects of the culture in Monaco.

I have a feeling the passport may have been on exhibition as part of the major tribute held in Monaco -there was certainly a lot of personal memorabilia on display. I should imagine the passport is in the possession of the Grimaldi family along with her other private papers.

I know PG had dual citizenship until her 25th wedding anniversary. I am now wondering if she would have lost her American citizenship by using a Monaco passport. That's interesting that the children also used American passports. I know Monaco's relations with France have been testy from time to time. Also that Monaco let the US Navy anchor in their waters when France refused to do the same.

I hope these haven't been posted already....

http://i47.tinypic.com/1zl3cjl.jpg

This caption was attached to the following picture:

"Princess Grace of Monaco (born Grace Kelly) waiting for the arrival of Grand Prix Esso at Quebec-City Winter Carnival, 1969, with Quebec mayor and some officials. Yes, she seems having spotted me, but this is not why I like this picture." The photographer, identified as Michel Baron, dates this 10 February 1969...exactly 10 years before I was born coincidentally:p
http://i46.tinypic.com/2uhb7yb.jpg
Credit to Michel Baron

And the picture of Grace's passport is so interesting...was that on display at one of the recent exhibitions? And just to add to the coversation, I remember reading a brief letter Grace wrote to TIME magazine in 1966 that they printed as being signed 'Grace Kelly Grimaldi'. The letter was in response to their coverage of her famous visit to Spain that year when she and Prince Rainier were guests of honor. The press widely sensationalized that the former U.S. First Lady, Jacqueline Kennedy, "upstaged" them...to Grace's fury. Grace countered that Mrs. Kennedy was welcome to "upstage" her at any time and that her so-called furious facial expressions were actually in reaction to being nearly trampled by photographers.

I hope these haven't been posted already....

http://i47.tinypic.com/1zl3cjl.jpg

This caption was attached to the following picture:

"Princess Grace of Monaco (born Grace Kelly) waiting for the arrival of Grand Prix Esso at Quebec-City Winter Carnival, 1969, with Quebec mayor and some officials. Yes, she seems having spotted me, but this is not why I like this picture." The photographer, identified as Michel Baron, dates this 10 February 1969...exactly 10 years before I was born coincidentally:p
http://i46.tinypic.com/2uhb7yb.jpg
Credit to Michel Baron

And the picture of Grace's passport is so interesting...was that on display at one of the recent exhibitions? And just to add to the coversation, I remember reading a brief letter Grace wrote to TIME magazine in 1966 that they printed as being signed 'Grace Kelly Grimaldi'. The letter was in response to their coverage of her famous visit to Spain that year when she and Prince Rainier were guests of honor. The press widely sensationalized that the former U.S. First Lady, Jacqueline Kennedy, "upstaged" them...to Grace's fury. Grace countered that Mrs. Kennedy was welcome to "upstage" her at any time and that her so-called furious facial expressions were actually in reaction to being nearly trampled by photographers.

The second photo is amazing!!!
I have seen it for the first time!!!:previous:

http://i47.tinypic.com/23llfn6.jpg (1976)
http://i49.tinypic.com/2d945rq.jpg

Thank you Darasmom for posting these two pics, do you have any informtion about the first one. Judging by the background it would seem to be taken in Monaco ville- perhaps they are walking from the Cathedral towards the Palace.
In relation to your second point, I think the media tried to make out there was some kind of rivalry between Jacqueline Kennedy & Grace. The fact that Grace retaliated to these accusations (I think on more than one occasion) may suggests she was under some pressure to do so. She had an impeccable public persona, so it seems unlikely she would have allowed her guard to slip whatever her private thoughts about Jacqueline might have been.

Maybe she felt awkward addressing herself as princess to fellow americans in the beginning. That would be understandable. Also, if she just signed her name Grimaldi alot of Americans wouldn't realize who she was.

Thank you Darasmom for posting these two pics, do you have any informtion about the first one. Judging by the background it would seem to be taken in Monaco ville- perhaps they are walking from the Cathedral towards the Palace.
In relation to your second point, I think the media tried to make out there was some kind of rivalry between Jacqueline Kennedy & Grace. The fact that Grace retaliated to these accusations (I think on more than one occasion) may suggests she was under some pressure to do so. She had an impeccable public persona, so it seems unlikely she would have allowed her guard to slip whatever her private thoughts about Jacqueline might have been.

I'm glad you enjoyed the pix, Elly C! I found both of them through the 'Bing' search engine. I tried to go back and find the first photo again so that I might see if there was more information about where they were walking, the date, etc. but I couldn't locate it again! Crazy... As far as the Jacqueline Kennedy situation went, like virtually every other aspect of Grace's life, we can only speculate how they both truly felt about each other.

Yes, Grace was a Catholic but she had a very pragmatic attitude in regards to religion: when Caroline had problems with her first husband she was reluctant to separate or divorce because of her religion and it was Grace who encouraged her arguing that "religion should not be there to make people unhappy". So I would not base assumption on Grace's behaviour on a strict adherence to Catholic principles at all times. I think she was mature enough to take into account Catholic rules but then decide independently for her life. Her attitude to Caroline's divorce proves it in my opinion.

I think I have read this before here and I was glad to hear this. Grace was an intelligent woman.

PG said that she wasn't always a good Catholic, but that she did try to be a good Christian.

Two wonderful photos - thank you queenofthelight :). There's a glimpse of the lovely cameo brooch in the second photo. I think if I remember rightly from other pics that Grace's wrap in the first photo was a stunning kingfisher blue.

Back
Top Bottom