The late Princess Grace Part IV

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lovely pictures - Grace was really very, very beautiful!

Wonderful photos. Thank you so much for posting them.:flowers:

i grew up adoring princess grace and to me she's still the most "perfect princess" thanks so much for all the hard work, there were so many i had never seen i've really enjoyed the photos so much
http://www.magnumphotos.com/CoreXDoc/MAG/Media/TR3/S/K/Q/1/PAR308299.jpg
this is the best photo i've ever seen of her engagement ring, if there is a better thread it should be moved a real "keeper" spot.

Thanks a lot for posting all those pics, Suzan-Livanelli, several have been new to me, and my favourite is the first one of all, the colourful portrait of the late Princess Grace. So beautiful! :flowers:

Reading today about the book "True Grace: The Life and Times of an American Princess" by Wendy Leigh I've met some interesting words. What does the author mean saying about Grace' betrayal? Anybody can say?

"Celebrities aren’t only in the news during their lifetimes. Some of them — like Marilyn Monroe, Jackie Kennedy, and Lady Di — keep being reinvented in the public imagination as new biographies or juicy bits of unrevealed information surface long after their passing.
Such is the case with the fairy-tale Hollywood-goddess-turned-princess Grace Kelly, whose cometary superstar career from High Noon (1952) to High Society (1956) morphed into a 26-year reign as Princess of Monaco until her tragic death in an auto accident in 1982. Widely-viewed as a wildly-desirable but unapproachable ice queen, but with smoldering rumors to the contrary, she has been the subject of several biographies, but none as thorough and revelatory as this season’s True Grace: The Life and Times of an American Princess by noted celebrity biographer Wendy Leigh. Leigh’s exhaustive research and 100+ new interviews and undiscovered resources have revealed much of previous speculation about the princess’s life and love to be true, and more. Some of it is fascinating (her later romances, after her marriage), some disturbing (her personal betrayal of a close friend). Throughout, the writing is clear, articulate, and witty where it needs to be without overwhelming the story it is trying to tell — a model in both approach and execution for an historical biography..."

Thanks for the great pictures of the late princess with her family, friends, and assoicates from over the years.These tell all books about will continue to come out because her life was so exicting to some people. This ocsar winning actress had been linked to Hollywood's handsome leading men she could have married one of them or any man at that.But in the end she had married a handsome foriegn prince and become a princess and a mother to three beautiful children.

Lucia Rose said:

Beautiful Grace as always.
Looking @these 2 pics, now I can see why many of you guys said Andrea has resemblance to her maternal granma. I wonder what it would be if we put Grace, Caroline, Andrea (in his 'golden years' if you know what I mean), and Charlotte. It would make my day.;)

Somebody knows something about this book ?True Grace: The Life and Times of an American Princess of St. Martin’s Press.

paola0731 said:
Somebody knows something about this book ?True Grace: The Life and Times of an American Princess of St. Martin’s Press.

If I'm not mistaken, that's the book Hibou read and said it is complete trash. A real waste of money.

Princess Grace was so pretty, even in her middle age! I would have liked to see how she really ended up, and pictures of her with grandchildren, etc. She is one of the most classic ladies.

acdc1 said:
Princess Grace was so pretty, even in her middle age! I would have liked to see how she really ended up, and pictures of her with grandchildren, etc. She is one of the most classic ladies.

True. She really was a fairy tale princess regardless of her age or weight gain. And her early, untimely demise actually contributed to that enigmatic, fairy-talish aspect of her life.

That's why despite how beautiful and glamorous Caroline and Charlotte are, Grace really possessed this quality that will always set her apart from the other royal Monegasque women.

The poetic life:princess Grace remembered

Princess Grace is remembered & loved more today for one of innumerable reasons.
She lived the poetic life.Her taste reignes supreme because it was lyrical & romantic. It contained symmetry like the pentameter & the simplicity and conciseness of Haiku.
To live the poetic life & to experience and impart it as Princess Grace did in all that she did it one need never have written a verse of poetry but understand that elusive "second circumstance " of life and have the passionate conscientiousness to interpret it.It is a cerebral discipline universally lacking in the world nowadays.
I dedicate to her memory all the poems of Tagore & the sonnets of Shakespeare that were beloved by her.For Princess Grace I ask Sir Derek Jacobi to recite Shakespeare; Percy Bysshe Shelley; John Keats;John Clare;Rupert Brooke; Dylan Thomas.
Strangely though time has passed I do not have to strain to hear Princess Grace's elocution in my ears; gently yielding her mellifluously golden voice at the end of each verse she comprehended that poetry is syllabically important and derived;and that is why Princess Grace leads by example & is unsurpassed in our hearts and memories a quarter century after her passing.

Last edited:
Jaya said:
Princess Grace is remembered & loved more today for one of innumerable reasons.
She lived the poetic life.Her taste reignes supreme because it was lyrical & romantic. It contained symmetry like the pentameter & the simplicity and conciseness of Haiku.
To live the poetic life & to experience and impart it as Princess Grace did in all that she did it one need never have written a verse of poetry but understand that elusive "second circumstance " of life and have the passionate conscientiousness to interpret it.It is a cerebral discipline universally lacking in the world nowadays.
I dedicate to her memory all the poems of Tagore & the sonnets of Shakespeare that were beloved by her.For Princess Grace I ask Sir Derek Jacobi to recite Shakespeare; Percy Bysshe Shelley; John Keats;John Clare;Rupert Brooke; Dylan Thomas.
Strangely though time has passed I do not have to strain to hear Princess Grace's elocution in my ears; gently yielding her mellifluously golden voice at the end of each verse she comprehended that poetry is syllabically important and derived;and that is why Princess Grace leads by example & is unsurpassed in our hearts and memories a quarter century after her passing.

Yes, she invoked all that is the artistic and found ways to continue to express herself after her acting career ended. I have read that her poetry readings were beautiful! Thanks for reminding us of her beautiful spirit.

Then it was Barbara Walters! I do hope they rerun that interview for the 25th anniversary this year.
Yes, its morbid but us Yanks get to see so little of Princess Grace, most of whats shown is Actress Grace material.

She was never interviewed by Barbara Walters, Pierre Salinger did the one in 1982 (July 22). You can buy on EBay, it's about 55 minutes long. I own it and 30 other tapes and DVD with Grace. I could post it but I don’t think I have the permission.

You are wrong. Barbara Walters did interview Princess Grace. It was filmed with Caroline in the Rose Garden of the Palace.

Barbara Walters - Yahoo! TV

Barbara Walters, biography

Bigger fame was yet in store for Walters, however. She arranged a joint interview with Anwar Sadat and Menachem Begin when many assumed they would never speak to each other. An indication of her place in popular culture was Gilda Radner's memorable if exaggerated impersonation of Walters's soft l's and Marlene Dietrich-Kay Francis-sounding r's (which come out like w's): "Hewo Amewica, this is Baba Wawa." Beginning in 1976, Walters began her highly popular series of interview specials, generally featuring big entertainment stars ostensibly letting their hair down in the privacy of their own homes. Princess Grace of Monaco, Billy Crystal, Sophia Loren, Boy George, Diana Ross, Elizabeth Taylor, Sarah "Fergie" Ferguson (the Duchess of York), Eddie Murphy, Sean Connery, Ronald and Nancy Reagan, Richard Pryor and Roseanne are among those peopling Walters's generally entertaining gabfests, and though she complains "If '60 Minutes' does Katharine Hepburn, isn't it wonderful? But if I do it, how dare a newsperson also do movie stars?", it should be noted that Mike Wallace or Ed Bradley would not be likely to ask Hepburn when she cried last or what type of tree she would most like to be.

Here's another reference

Once Upon a Time: Behind the Fairy Tale of ... - Google Book Search

In a television interview, Barbara Walters asked the question, "Are you happy?" Grace thought for a moment. "I've had happy moments in my life, but I don't think that happiness - being happy - is a perpetual state that anyone can be in," she said. "Life isn't that way. My life here has given me many satisfactions in the last ten years."

The Star by Robert Frost

This poem is dedicated to the memory of the late Princess Grace of Monaco &if I am not mistaken it may have been one of her favourites.
The Star
O Star[the fairest one in sight]
We grant your loftiness the right
To some obscurity of cloud-
It will not do to say of night,
Since dark is what brings out your light
Some mystery becomes the proud.
But to be wholly taciturn
In your reserve is not allowed.
Say something to us we can learn
By heart and then alone repeat.
Say something!And it says "I burn."
But say with what degree of heat.
Talk Fahrenheit,talk Centigrade.
Use language we can comprehend.
Tell us what elements you blend.
It gives us strangely little aid,
But does tell something in the end.
And steadfast as Keat's Eremite,
Not even stooping from its sphere,
It asks a little of us here.
It asks us of a certain height,
So when at times the mob is swayed
To carry praise or blame too far,
We may take something like a star
To stay our minds on and be staid.

Jaya said:
This poem is dedicated to the memory of the late Princess Grace of Monaco &if I am not mistaken it may have been one of her favourites.
The Star
O Star[the fairest one in sight]
We grant your loftiness the right
To some obscurity of cloud-
It will not do to say of night,
Since dark is what brings out your light
Some mystery becomes the proud.
But to be wholly taciturn
In your reserve is not allowed.
Say something to us we can learn
By heart and then alone repeat.
Say something!And it says "I burn."
But say with what degree of heat.
Talk Fahrenheit,talk Centigrade.
Use language we can comprehend.
Tell us what elements you blend.
It gives us strangely little aid,
But does tell something in the end.
And steadfast as Keat's Eremite,
Not even stooping from its sphere,
It asks a little of us here.
It asks us of a certain height,
So when at times the mob is swayed
To carry praise or blame too far,
We may take something like a star
To stay our minds on and be staid.

Thank you so much for finding that poem. It does remind me of her so much. Do you know of any others that she liked? Where did you find it?

Jaya I found your post with the poem very inspiring so when a friend sent me this work by Henry James on Venice I thought I would post it as it too reminds me of Grace in many ways

Almost everyone interesting, appealing,
melancholy, memorable, odd, seems at one time or another,
after many days and much life,
to have gravitated to Venice by a happy instinct
setting in it and treating it, cherishing it, as a
sort of repository of consolations;
all of which today, for the conscious mind.
is mixed with its air and constitutes it's unwritten history.
The deposed, the defeated, the disenchanted, or even the bored,
have seemed to find there, something that no other place could give

hibou said:
Jaya I found your post with the poem very inspiring so when a friend sent me this work by Henry James on Venice I thought I would post it as it too reminds me of Grace in many ways

Almost everyone interesting, appealing,
melancholy, memorable, odd, seems at one time or another,
after many days and much life,
to have gravitated to Venice by a happy instinct
setting in it and treating it, cherishing it, as a
sort of repository of consolations;
all of which today, for the conscious mind.
is mixed with its air and constitutes it's unwritten history.
The deposed, the defeated, the disenchanted, or even the bored,
have seemed to find there, something that no other place could give
hibou,
This is indeed a fabulous tribute to the late Princess Grace and her love of romantic Venice as a geographical epicenter of all these noble sentiments.

Remembering the late Princess Grace with Tagore

On Sunday nights I study poetry and came across this from The Fugitive and other poems by Tagore.It almost sounds like Princess Grace is speaking or even reciting this poetry to me:
Give me the supreme courage of love,this is my prayer-the courage to speak,to do,to suffer at thy will,to leave things or to be left alone.
Strengthen me on errands of danger,honour me with pain, and help me climb to that difficult mood which sacrifices daily to thee.
Give me the supreme confidence of love,this is my prayer-the confidence that belongs to life in death,to victory in defeat,to the power hidden in the frailest beauty,to that dignity in pain which accepts hurt but disdains to return it.

Princess Grace playing tennis in Monaco Country Club, it was in 1981 she was 52 years old and she looks very well and healthy:)
Princess Grace:

iceflower said:
That's a really nice pic, flowerpower, thanks for sharing it! :flowers:

Here's another pic of Grace at an official event:

Grace in the 1970s

Thanks’ iceflower:) , I do like to share, but sometimes I think that there are very few members on this forum that deserve to see our personal clipping or pictures.

Grace looks beautiful and elegant on the picture you post, thanks for sharing :flowers:

iceflower said:
That's a really nice pic, flowerpower, thanks for sharing it! :flowers:

Here's another pic of Grace at an official event:

Grace in the 1970s

Fabulous photo! Very different from how we usually see her!

Great pics Iceflower and Flowerpower, in you pic Iceflower Princess Grace was in New York for the Bicentennial in July 1976. On that ocassion she was with Prince Rainier and Princess Caroline also.

Is there a theat about Grace's family? I'm thinking of her brother and her sisters. And her parents. I'm just asking, because I don't want to open a new one if there is a threat already.
Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom