The Kelly Relatives

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you for the warm welcome:)

Yes, where the Kelly house is on Henry St. is sort of run down. Also, I didn't know that Kelly Dr. in Philly was named after her brother.

Quick story time! My grandmother who was on that side of my family wanted to go back to that side of Philly after coming to see my family from out of state. This had to be right after the passing of Grace. So they are driving in Philly making their way to the area, when suddenly the area turns sketchy. Now keep in my mind, my mom and dad had just moved to the Philadelphia area and didn't know a ton about it. My mom stops the car and basically tells my grandmother to forget it's not safe for them. It's terrible, as I said before.

As for my Irish side, I guess you could say, is they are probably the same of her father's side. Hard working, and still very Catholic (as am I). Not to mention, very tight knit.

If I must say, I think I found out where my smile came from lol. Also, I have eyes much like Grace did lol.

Last edited:
Dave, you and I must have a different view of the word "run-down", as the dictionary defines it as such: worn out, exhausted, being in poor repair, dilapidated. Source of reference: Run-down - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

And on that basis I personally would not consider the Kelly Family Home on 3901 Henry Avenue to be *run-down*. This based on the Google Map link I posted up above, wherein one can maneuver one's mouse to view not only the subject at hand, but also any other part of the neighborhood, community, et al.

All the stately homes still appear to be well-kept, maintained, manicured, even the huge park right next door the Kelly Home. However, I noted once you leave that part of the city it looks to get ugly on the other side of the river. Anyhow, that's just my humble opinion.

Now if you want to view truly "run-down" parts of the city of Philadelphia, see these pics (basically another word for ghetto):

http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/default/files/styles/image_full_width/hash/7f/ff/Untitled_43.jpg

http://static.seekingalpha.com/uploads/2009/7/8/164535-124703650862057-Mike-Stathis_origin.jpg

http://thesocietypages.org/socimages/files/2009/02/picture-15.jpg

http://www.lifestyle-information-network.com/images/04-19-01jeffersonst_north_philadelphia.jpg

Thanks for sharing your family anecdotes, it's interesting to read, maybe you can share some family pics as well? :)

I know what run down means, thanks. I probably used the wrong word. However, when you go past that area, it's not the best area at all. Also, I know plenty about Philly, and what areas are not areas I want to be in. Sorry to say, but there is a ton of Philly which isn't what it used to be, and that is just sad.

I have no idea where you are located, but I see downside of Philadelphia daily.

Lastly, if you are going to troll me, I would greatly appreciate it if you did not.

Thank you.

Last edited:
I'm curious if the Kelly's (and Costello's, etc.) have done any genealogical research? Were her pre-United States relatives Irish and Italian?

Troll you, please, what an odd reaction, as I was genuinely interested in what you had to say when you first posted. So much so that I had a blast doing research on the Kellys' on the internet to find the Costello side. :)

And I had an even better time finding the house in question that you posted about; what a joy it was to find it also on youtube to compare it to today. That's the honest to God truth.

What I found odd was your saying it was *run-down*, as well as the area was *sketchy*, thus I posted what I thought, backed up by pictures from Google Maps, so the reader could judge for themself.

Next thing you know you take umbrage and tell me I'm trolling you. :D

Come back, Dave, I promise not to bite, lol, that's just my style. I don't mean anything by it, and my apologies if you thought I did? :confused:

Seriously, I am a connoisseur of the past/history, and any information you can provide about your family would be greatly appreciated. To come from virtually nothing to the top of the echelon by purely hard work and dedication has my utmost respect and admiration, as that's exactly what the Kellys/Costellos did. :flowers:

PrincessKaimi, lol, I originally thought the same thing because I associate the surname Costello with Italian. However, I was wrong, both of John Kelly's (aka Grace Kelly's father) parents were Irish and came to America in 1869 and 1867 respectively.

Source of Reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_B._Kelly,_Sr.

This same thing applies to Drew Barrymore, whom is a descendant of not only the Blyth/Barrymore English/Irish clan, but also the Costello clan, whom I originally thought were Italian also, but alas, no, Irish. :cool:

Source of Reference: Maurice Costello - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Isn't history fun!!!! :heart1:

I've heard that the Kelly home on Henry Avenue is owned by Philadelphia University - their campus is in the neighborhood at Henry and School House Lane. It never looks like anyone lives there. I've been driving by for years and years and there's never any activity.

Ah, I just did a search of Philadelphia property assesments. It looks like the house (3901 Henry Avenue) was bought in 1974 by a Marjorie Bamont. The sale price is listed as $1, so I assume that it was inherited or something. You can look up the listing at www.phila.gov and click on "Search Property Assesments"

While attending Philadelphia University in the mid to late '90s I rented a small apartment (above the garage) in the house next door to the Kelly home on Henry Ave. The woman who was living in the Kelly home at that time was a bit of a recluse who collected numerous stray cats and dogs. She would let the dogs out into the backyard in shifts - I assumed she did this to keep barking to a minumum and to not alert the neighbors to the number of animals she actually had living there. I never met her (rarely saw her or anyone visit) and never entered the home - but was told by my landlords that the interior was rumored to be in pretty bad shape as a result of all the animals. The backyard was a bit of a mess and littered with empty cat food tins and foil etc...

The Henry Ave/School House Lane area is (or was in the late '90s) still a very lovely area (former Senator Arlen Specter lived down the street) but is very close to unsafe/run down neighborhoods such as German Town. Granted a lot may have changed since I lived there. Philadelphia University has purchased and renovated a fair number of the larger homes for admin and classroom space but I doubt the Kelly home would be large enough to interest the university.

While attending Philadelphia University in the mid to late '90s I rented a small apartment (above the garage) in the house next door to the Kelly home on Henry Ave. The woman who was living in the Kelly home at that time was a bit of a recluse who collected numerous stray cats and dogs. She would let the dogs out into the backyard in shifts - I assumed she did this to keep barking to a minumum and to not alert the neighbors to the number of animals she actually had living there. I never met her (rarely saw her or anyone visit) and never entered the home - but was told by my landlords that the interior was rumored to be in pretty bad shape as a result of all the animals. The backyard was a bit of a mess and littered with empty cat food tins and foil etc...

The Henry Ave/School House Lane area is (or was in the late '90s) still a very lovely area (former Senator Arlen Specter lived down the street) but is very close to unsafe/run down neighborhoods such as German Town. Granted a lot may have changed since I lived there. Philadelphia University has purchased and renovated a fair number of the larger homes for admin and classroom space but I doubt the Kelly home would be large enough to interest the university.

The Kelly home nowadays is not considered to be a large home, but at the time it was built it was considered quite large and stately. The Henry Avenue area is still a nice place to live. Germantown has cleaned up somewhat and Manayunk has become very upscale with it's shops. Chestnut Hill is as it has always been. I don't know who owns the Kelly House at this point but it is still very much there.

Troll you, please, what an odd reaction, as I was genuinely interested in what you had to say when you first posted. So much so that I had a blast doing research on the Kellys' on the internet to find the Costello side. :)

And I had an even better time finding the house in question that you posted about; what a joy it was to find it also on youtube to compare it to today. That's the honest to God truth.

What I found odd was your saying it was *run-down*, as well as the area was *sketchy*, thus I posted what I thought, backed up by pictures from Google Maps, so the reader could judge for themself.

Next thing you know you take umbrage and tell me I'm trolling you. :D

Come back, Dave, I promise not to bite, lol, that's just my style. I don't mean anything by it, and my apologies if you thought I did? :confused:

Seriously, I am a connoisseur of the past/history, and any information you can provide about your family would be greatly appreciated. To come from virtually nothing to the top of the echelon by purely hard work and dedication has my utmost respect and admiration, as that's exactly what the Kellys/Costellos did. :flowers:

PrincessKaimi, lol, I originally thought the same thing because I associate the surname Costello with Italian. However, I was wrong, both of John Kelly's (aka Grace Kelly's father) parents were Irish and came to America in 1869 and 1867 respectively.

Source of Reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_B._Kelly,_Sr.

This same thing applies to Drew Barrymore, whom is a descendant of not only the Blyth/Barrymore English/Irish clan, but also the Costello clan, whom I originally thought were Italian also, but alas, no, Irish. :cool:

Source of Reference: Maurice Costello - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Isn't history fun!!!! :heart1:

Hi, haha, sorry about that. It was an off day for me that day. So my apologies!

I will admit my family tree is sooooooooo confusing! My sister was the one to begin it, and now lucky me I have the one who has been taking over haha.

Unfourtinally this is all new to me. I tried to talk to my aunt about this, and she didn't say much. I have no idea why either.

I'm going to PM you a more detailed message with names, etc.:flowers:

Sure, this is a learning experience of my own !

Oh yes, History is fun! I have to study it for hours on end..History Ed. Major here lol.

But, I'm not sure if there is a ton of information out there on the Grace's relationship with the Costello side of the family. Has anyone here ever came across any?

Last edited:
Chris Levine, the best man and cousin of Prince Albert; he is the Ambassador to the UN for Monaco? Anyone can give any info on his family, as well as him?

Thanks

great photos.. I do remember Princess Grace coming to Ravenhill and Princess Caroline when she was visiting her Aunt Lizanne. She was on the Villanova Campus when I was there and had the pleasure to meet her.

Princess Grace was friends with Glenna Costello Millar who knew her from RHA

Hi, everyone.

My name is Marc and I live in the south of France, so I apologise for my bad english !
Using my friend Google, I have a good genealogy of the Kelly relative but I have two problems left:
Ist: I often see on the tv screen Megan Van Arkel as Grace's niece. The niece I found is Margaret Ann "Meg" Davis with two husbands: Roe Richard and Packer Billy. Is she the same Megan with a third husband Van Arkel ?

2nd: John F. Lehman said: "My grandmother was a sister of Grace's father". I found four sisters of John Brendon Kelly: Anna G. Kelly (born 1875), Mary A. Kelly (born 1882), Elizabeth V. Kelly (born 1884) and Grace T. Kelly (born 1893). Who is the good one ?

Thanks for your answers !

Other than Chris Levine, the best man,JB Kelly and John Lehman did any other Kelly relations attend Albert's wedding. Not really sure how many cousins there are on that side of his family.

We don't know which Kelly cousins attended the wedding,. In April, there were several cousins who joined Prince Albert and Charlene to the visit of Ireland. Chris Levine is very near of Prince Albert, he was at the Red cross Gala in 2007, he danced with Charlene while Prince Albert opened the ball with Princess Stephanie.he was at the last national fest of Monaco, during the civil wedding, He shacked the hand of Prince Albert after signing . I find that Chris is rather 'seduisant'

All the Kelly family from Philly attended the wedding.
-Chris Levine(Lizanne´song) with his wife Vicky and their children: Ginna, Chris and Kelly.
-John Kelly III (Kell´son)(divorced) with his two children: Kat and Nat.
- Suzanne Von Medicus (Kell´s daughter) with husband and two boys: Macius and other which name I can´t remember.
-Margaret Kelly (Kell´s younger daughter) (single).
- Mary Lee Kenworthy (Peggy´s daughter) with husband, Hugh Kenworthy, and children: Margaret Jones (lesbian but she attended with her girlfriend Lisa diPhillipo), Megan Van Arkel (and husband without children).
- Meg Packer (Peggy´s daughter) with husband, Billy Packer, and children: Gabby Roe with wife, Chris Roe with wife and Richard Roe with girlfriend.

and John Lehman and family for sure!

I would like to know what happened with Sandra Worley - John B. Kelly "Kell"´second wife-, is she still alive? Does anybody know where she lives, etc?

Thanks in advance

ps: Mary Freeman Spitzer, Kell´s first wife is in fb: https://www.facebook.com/maryspitzer33?ref=ts
and i found this photo of the Kellys and the Fremans at John and Mary´s wedding in 1954, but where Grace was? Didn´t she attended? Perhaps she was filming "The Bridges of Toko RI"

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like to know if anybody here knows how the Austrian society-lady Christa Mayrhofer-Dukor is related to the late Princess Grace ? Apparently they were some sort of cousins, Christa and her daughter Eva Countess Walderdorff were invited to Albert's wedding and they were with Princess Caroline at the Vienna Opera Ball in 1990. I remember Caroline's face as if it were yesterday, she was there with her second husband and totally pissed off because somebody destroyed the train of her dress. So Christa Mayrhofer-Dukor is not just claiming it she is really related somehow to Princess Grace although I highly doubt they were 1st cousins. I think she once claimed that her father and Grace's mother were siblings. Anybody here an idea ? Alas I don't know Christa's maiden name, apparently she was married several times ... .

• "Grace Kelly wre stolz auf Albert" • Gesellschaft & Leute • news.at that's Christa Mayrhofer-Dukor by the way ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:

Princess Grace of Monaco brought her American heritage to her new country when she married its ruling prince in 1956. Although her children are prince and princesses of Monaco, they are also descendants of a large and prominent American family. This article, written in the form of a letter from Princess Grace to her children, explores her American heritage and its effect on Prince Albert, Princess Caroline, and Princess Stephanie.

More...
very nice story :wub:

Well, she is aunt of Prince Albert by mother. They are relatives by Margaret Majer. If you understand german you can read more here.
x
S.

yes, I already know the article. I am from Austria, so I understand it perfectly well. What's mor it is the same article I already posted above. I know that Christa Mayrhofer always claims that she is related to Grace through Grace's mother but nobody knows exactly how. I really think she is not a first cousin but a second cousin, cause as far as I know Grace's mother had 2 brothers who were born, lived and died in Philadelphia. So it is somehow unlikely that Christa is a daughter of one of them....

High, Sensibility!

Can you confirm that Megan Arkel is a daughter of Mary Lee Davis? Who is the father: John Paul Jones or Hugh Kennworthy ?
Thanks.

You know fathers in that time were more worried about about there heirs. Girls are married off. Men carry on the family name etc

I'm not interested in heirs or names.
What I wish is to achieve my Kelly's genealogie !

Chris Levine, the best man and cousin of Prince Albert; he is the Ambassador to the UN for Monaco? Anyone can give any info on his family, as well as him?

Thanks

No, Chris is not an Ambassador. Chris Le Vine is an owner of Sweetwater Farms Bed & Breakfast (on Facebook and Twitter) along with his wife, Vickie. He was left Sweetwater Farms B&B by his sister, Grace, who died in 1999. I believe prior to that he was an investment banker.
He has three kids-two girls and a son. His daughters are Ginny (Virginia) and Kelly, his son is Conrad. Kelly and Ginny both attended Carnegie Mellon University, I'm not sure where Conrad attended. Kelly Le Vine studied costume design. Vickie was/is an artist.

Other than that info, I don't know anything about him, but am curious to learn more-like facts like his birthday, ect....anyone know that? I imagine around Albert's age. He had a sister, Grace Le Vine who was born shortly after Grace married Rainier in 1956. It seems as if Lizanne's kids (Chris and Grace) were close with Caro and Albert-Grace lived with Caroline, Stephanie and Grace when she studied at Sorbonne around the time Caro did, and was a maid of honor in one of Caroline's weddings (I think so anyway-the first one?) and Chris attends the Red Cross and Rose Balls annually, as well as the Princess Grace USA Foundation Gala, as well as was Best Man for Albert in July.

Random question: Keith Sebastian Knecht de Massy is a double cousin of Caro, Al and Steph...his mother married Charles Wayne Knecht...any one know how Charles is connected to Grace?

Last edited:
I know Prince Rainer's sister, Princess Anointette had a son Christian De Massey, who is a cousin of Caroline, Albert and Stephanie, maybe son of his??

I know Prince Rainer's sister, Princess Anointette had a son Christian De Massey, who is a cousin of Caroline, Albert and Stephanie, maybe son of his??

Definately not. Christian de Massy (no De Massey) is the son of Princess Antoinette and Alexandre-Athenase Noghès. Christine-Alix was his younger sister. Wrong side of the family-Christian has no Kelly blood in him whatsoever.

Sebastian is the son of Charles Wayne Knecht, the grandson of Richard Wayne Knecht and Evelyn Elaine Cruice, and the great-grandson of Joseph John Cruice and Mary A. Kelly. Mary was John Brendan Kelly's older sister. Charles Wayne Knecht is 66 years old and lives in Bryn Mawr with his wife, Naomi. Elaine was apparently married twice and divorced twice as there was no mention of either of her husbands in her obituary. Her first husband, Richard W. Knecht, died on 25 September 2005 in Fort Washington, PA at the age of 92. He was survived by his wife, Suzanne, his son, Wayne Knecht, and his daughter, Paula Brill. Elaine E. Beyer died on 17 May 2007at her home in Stuart, FL at the age of 86. She was preceded in death by her parents, Joseph Cruice and Mary Kelly Cruice. She was survived by a daughter, Paula Jones, of Havertown, PA and a son, Wayne Knecht, of Bryn Mawr, PA.

Back
Top Bottom