Sainte Devote Celebration: 2007 - 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tuesday, January 26th:

6.15h at Port Hercule - Burning of a boat, followed at 6.30 by the Procession for Sainte Dévote from Avenue Président J.F.Kennedy

Wednesday, January 27th:

9.45 am, Monaco Cathedral:

The Feast of Sainte Dévote, the Patron Saint and Protector of the Princely Family and the Diocese of Monaco.

Welcoming the relics of the Saint by the clergy and by the Archiconfrérie de la Miséricorde.
Followed by a Pontifical Mass at 10 am, and a street Procession.

The evening concludes with fireworks - of course!

P.S. I've just checked, and the DVD is still available - someone from Germany requested one and got it on Jan. 18th.

P.P.S:
There is also one copy of the DVD on French eBay. The seller got a good deal - 15 Euro for an item that cost him nothing!
http://cgi.ebay.fr/DVD-rare-SAINTE-...QptZFR_SK_DVDetCinema_dvd?hash=item414b81e4b2

Last edited:
The writer and civil engineer Louis Notari (1879-1961) wrote a book about Sainte Dévote:

"A legenda de Santa Devota" - in 1927

He was the first writer to have published books in the Monégasque language, and he contributed to the ongoing "success" of the Sainte Dévote story.

He also wrote the National Anthem of Monaco in 1931.

Rainier III requested to have Notari's "Campanin de San Niculau" played at his funeral in 2005.

Louis Notari - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - English

Louis Notari - Wikipédia - French

Named after him is the Library and a street, and Monaco's webcam is named after him; as an engineer he would have appreciated it, I think....
Monaco Webcam

pa is the statesman and is capable to handle the St.Devote without assistance of any kind.It is up to him to call in one of his sisters or in fact to marry and have his consort come to his side. until such times we should enjoy what the Prince can manage himself.

Another lonely Sainte Devote... What a pity! Where are you P. Caroline?:crown4:
:monacostandard: :monacostandard: :monacostandard:

Another lonely Sainte Devote... What a pity! Where are you P. Caroline?:crown4:
:monacostandard: :monacostandard: :monacostandard:

This is one of the official functions that PAlbert should rally his family around him. I can understand Caroline not being there but the others
should be especially the Casirighis since there are next in line to the throne

I agree :previous: it might be sufficient for the Sovereign Prince to attend alone but it is not satisfying. St Devote is the patron saint of Monaco and special protector of the Grimaldi family and the whole Princely Family should have made an effort to attend. As stated I think it is understandable that the Princess of Hanover be absent but what about Princess Stephanie and the Casiraghi trio? They really should have made an appearance.

:monacostandard: :monacoflag:

I think the fotos of Prince Albert taken on the 26th Jan are very charming and he looks very handsome;), He does not show his 51 years:winkiss:

Hi Queen,

the video I meant was the one of the Sainte Devote event; that clip will be repeated several times a day for the next few days, interspersed with all kinds of information videos, interviews, warnings about swine flu etc.

I often watch the very relaxing clip of a slow motion aerial view of Monaco - perfect for breakfast !

I just visited the "Mad for Monaco" blog, its interesting - It seem like Albert is cannot even force his extended family to attend family functions. Caro and Steph knows that Albert does not have a legitimate family to attend-- They can make their children step in, {if u ask me}. Can any Grimaldi watcher over the years can say that Grace or her daughters dared not attend the ceremony. This where Albert lacks in leadership in over his own family, stop being the " brother" and being the leader in Monaco- I applaud u for yr enviroment issues but yr principality is calling, HSH

I just visited the "Mad for Monaco" blog, its interesting - It seem like Albert is cannot even force his extended family to attend family functions. Caro and Steph knows that Albert does not have a legitimate family to attend-- They can make their children step in, {if u ask me}. Can any Grimaldi watcher over the years can say that Grace or her daughters dared not attend the ceremony. This where Albert lacks in leadership in over his own family, stop being the " brother" and being the leader in Monaco- I applaud u for yr enviroment issues but yr principality is calling, HSH

Caroline, Stephanie and their children are their own people. He can't "force" them to go like some dictator. Although, it would be nice if Albert's sisters would show a little support. I'm all for being independent but Dévote is the patron saint of Monaco. I'm willing to make do with just Albert, but it would certainly be far more satisfactory to have it be a family event. The Sainte Dévote celebrations are as much an institution in Monaco as the Fête Nationale celebrations are. I think they could take a leaf out of the British Royal family's book here - at most state celebrations, particularly Trooping the Colour, a large majority of the family is invited and appears on the balcony, which gives the image of a large (I know the Monaco Princely family aren't a particularly large family, but still, larger), close-knit and youthful family. Albert cuts a very solitary figure at these celebrations, and people with a less sympathetic view might think that his family couldn't care less.

Caroline, Stephanie and their children are their own people. He can't "force" them to go like some dictator. Although, it would be nice if Albert's sisters would show a little support. I'm all for being independent but Dévote is the patron saint of Monaco. I'm willing to make do with just Albert, but it would certainly be far more satisfactory to have it be a family event. The Sainte Dévote celebrations are as much an institution in Monaco as the Fête Nationale celebrations are. I think they could take a leaf out of the British Royal family's book here - at most state celebrations, particularly Trooping the Colour, a large majority of the family is invited and appears on the balcony, which gives the image of a large (I know the Monaco Princely family aren't a particularly large family, but still, larger), close-knit and youthful family. Albert cuts a very solitary figure at these celebrations, and people with a less sympathetic view might think that his family couldn't care less.

I agree with your post, Thecia. Albert is the HEAD of the house of Grimaldi he is the patriarch of that family and thus he is the boss of Caroline- Stephanie- Antoinette they all bear the title of Prince/Princess of Monaco as far as official events he has all the say who will or not attend- or maybe he doesnt want them there:ermm:

I agree with your post, Thecia. Albert is the HEAD of the house of Grimaldi he is the patriarch of that family and thus he is the boss of Caroline- Stephanie- Antoinette they all bear the title of Prince/Princess of Monaco as far as official events he has all the say who will or not attend- or maybe he doesnt want them there:ermm:
Albert is the Boss of Monaco He can not control his sisters or family , Albert has been standing alone for a while now All of this can be brought right back to the fact that Albert has no wife it all falls on his Sisters and their Kids which is not fair , This is Albert he is close to both his sisters he would never Demand that they show up .

I totally agree, Radker, he would never coerce family members to attend any functions etc. I don't think it would be in his nature.

In some ways we're looking at an "ordinary" family where each member has his/her own agenda, priorities, timetables etc.
But it's always nice when they come together for a particular reason.

Glistening Seas

:rose:Honestly, it doesn't appear that Pss. Stephanie & Pss. Caroline are absent out of lack of respect.
:twohearts: Even Ranier whom himself was Catholic didn't attend all the functions with Grace.
:rose: Because Pa is new to his position naturally, with all embassy openings and duties that are regular to his position added on to all the cultural events; honestly he is only human and subsequently cannot be present at every event and neither can Pss Stephanie & Pss. Caroline. So, Monaco still has their event and while only one of them is present at any given moment and to be sure having a good time while doing so.

:twohearts: It doesn't come accross is a matter of irreverence but, a matter of scheduling! :heartflower:

Well, I did say someone with a less sympathetic view - which is likely to be people who only follow the Grimaldis in passing, and someone who doesn't understand the reasons why Caroline and Stephanie might not attend. Can I also point out that I did say that Albert can't "force" his sisters to go? I simply said it would be nice if they showed a little more support now and then. I understand that they are all adults with their own children and lives - which must be put first, as it would be unacceptable to be living in each others pockets all the time too - but like I said, it could give the impression to other people - not necessarily the people on this forum, but others - that they really don't care all that much for each other. I think it's important for Monaco's image to have a show of togetherness and solidarity once in a while, not just one day a year. My friend, who is one of those aforementioned people who only follow the family in passing, said it seemed like the only reason they all showed up together on Fête Nationale was because they had to, not because they wanted to. Those sorts of opinions, whilst not belonging to a majority of the population, do still have the potential to be damaging. The Princely Family are the major publicity tool for Monaco - albeit they haven't chosen to be, but they can't really have it both ways; demanding privacy when they want it (which is perfectly understandable, and I'm not criticising them for doing it) but soliciting the press attention when they need it. Again, people with a less sympathetic view could interpret it as hypocrisy. I know you can't please everyone all the time, but perhaps they need to take more viewpoints into account if they want to aid Monaco's image. I don't know, just my opinion. Apologies for the incredibly long (and relatively off topic) post. :ermm:

Sainte Dévote's Feast Day is over.....

......but 2010 brings us the annual pilgrimage of PA and his team to Lucciana on the island of Corsica........

The Mayor of Monaco, Georges Marsan, and other Monegasque officials recently visited Lucciana (Corsica) to further cement the friendship between the Principality and Corsica.
There was the traditional Mass in honour of Sainte Dévote, celebrated both in Latin and Corsican.
La Mairie en déplacement - Monaco Vivre Ma Ville

It is a beautiful religious fest and I am pleased to see that Prince Albert is not alone this year, He has Charlene and Caroline with him.I think it is good that Charlene takes part to this fest which is very important in Monaco.My mother uses to go to monaco with my sister in law to take part at the procession every year.There is also a mass at Sainte Devote but there is not many people because the chapel is very small. To morrow there will be a mass in the Cathedral and a procession with the rest of the Sainte goes to the place to bless the princely family, the people of Monaco. Charlene will offer her brideflowers to Sainte Devote in the Chapel in July after the weedding

It seems to me that Charlène is more beautiful everyday....

Charlene, in pic 3, seems a little uncomfortable. I know it's only a snapshot, a split second frozen in time, but I have seen her look like that before, and with Caroline too. Sometimes I think she is more comfortable with Stephanie and maybe Caroline is a little intimidating for her. I can sympathize! I love Caroline, but honestly, I think I would be afraid of her! But with Stephanie, I feel like I could hug her and love her like a friend. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom