Rose Ball, Monaco: 2005 - 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi Johnnie!

{Inappropriate comments deleted} I find your posts enlightening for their perspective. Maybe Stephanie has finally redeemed herself in Monaco. It would be nice. I'm shocked people feel so passionately about PA though... Did you hear the PA2 Foundation will be setting up a branch in Canada in the very near future? More social events on the homefront! (and some much needed help with the environment)

Last edited by a moderator:
The worst has happened! Caroline is being featured on Go Fug Yourself. :D
harsh but deserved!!! a full length woolen coat would have improved this look no end actually the saudi fashion of veil and all would be better (provided it was a choice not a law)

Thank you for setting the record straight, monaco70s, and for doing the research about the past Rose Balls. I must say I was a little confused about this business about costume balls and the Rose ball being a costume ball, especially after rereading the official press release statement where nothing about a Mardi Gras ball was indicated and the dress code for ladies was just plain "evening gowns". It is then more accurate to say the Rose Ball has a theme and the guests can dress in the mood of the theme.

I also didn't know it had been renovated by P. Caroline in 1994 (great initiative on her part). The general setting, decor, etc, have always been beautiful, she is surrounded by a great team.

It would be nice if she could also resurrect the true costume ball. I remember the Swedish royal family doing a Renaissance fair style event, where they all got dressed up in period costumes and the two princesses (but also Queen Silvia and the gentlemen) looked gorgeous. I'd love to see Charlotte in a period costume. What would you suggest ? The medieval style does suit her face. I think an Arabian Night theme would make all the young ladies stand out and have fun. (And there'll be a rule for no lady over 35 showing a bare belly no matter how many belly dancing lessons they take before the event...). I suggest Elie Saab as their designer, he does such a wonderful job for Queen Rania. But there are others as well. Or how about a Japanese theme, and choose the costume designer who did the wardrobe for the 2 films that won awards recently? Unfortunately, I forget his name, but he is famous for his delicate use of color and fabric. Someone might help me out here.

I still think that if if you are going to have a theme, go to the source for the costumes or clothes. These are the people who have been trained with the tradition of the country and culture and they will want to rise to the occasion : what better publicity than a successful Monaco Rose Ball ?
highly recommend a tribute to a great opera singer or writer that would allow great costume choices from a range of stage settings or if you want to be safe go Jane austen or another classic author. Better to chose international and compel a number of high profile people to at least take an interest/attend. At a pinch go for Marie Anttoinette and the grandeur of France at the time will sweep all before them.
P.S. (as a woman I may shop in chanel but I dream in ELIE SAAB.:cool:)

Being a Mardi Gra theme Caroline and the others got it right the fashion victims didn't dress for the night.
Did I read the theme right? I thought it was Movida! A cultural/social revolution in Spain? No ok look to the Sydney Mardi Gras, Dykes on Bikes are better attired than some present at this Gala.:whistling:

I deleted a bunch posts because some people can't seem to remember what the topic of discussion is. What's this fixation with Charlene's shoulders? We're not discussing Monaco, grocery stores and what-have-you! Let's stay on track with this year's Rose Ball.

Mandy
Monaco Forum Moderator

Hello everybody,
my impressions of the Ball: Princess Carolines's dress is a Lagerfeld creation and, the original model is not a long dress, but a short one ( by the knee ) and she looks uncomnfortable and not at all at ease in it. Charlotte seems to be wearing a coar over her dress ( see the pictures where she appears dancing - she seems to be wearing a non-sleeve dress ). Besides, that ball is supposed to celebrate the coming of Spring, an explosion of coulor and life.
Caro and Char look like they're going to a funeral instead with all that black!

Hello everybody,
my impressions of the Ball: Princess Carolines's dress is a Lagerfeld creation and, the original model is not a long dress, but a short one ( by the knee ) and she looks uncomnfortable and not at all at ease in it. Charlotte seems to be wearing a coar over her dress ( see the pictures where she appears dancing - she seems to be wearing a non-sleeve dress ). Besides, that ball is supposed to celebrate the coming of Spring, an explosion of coulor and life.
Caro and Char look like they're going to a funeral instead with all that black!

Well they're, in essence, French, and wearing black to formal occasions is common, but yes a dab of colour would be good. The Pale Pink dress that charlotte wore in 2006 was lovely, and uplifting. I think they both need to wear a different fashion house, I mean Chanel's cocktail style dresses are cute, and very understated elegance, but the ball gowns are often less then inspiring.

Princess Caroline in 1994 decided to renovate the ball and since then it's been destined to honor a theme and create a whole concept that deals with this theme, being reflected in the decor, the performers and such. In modern days it is not a costume ball, since guests are requiered to wear a tuxedo and a night dress, not a costume. Princess Caroline has never gone dressed fully in costume, yet she tries to wear maybe some elements that can be associated to the theme in her accesories...never seen her wearing a bowl of fruit on her head, a tango dress etc.

The themes have been:
1994: The Insolit, to honor the russian rose gardens
1995: Tango
1996: Caribbean
1997: 700th Anniversary of the Grimaldi family
1998: SBM, Monaco in the 50s
1999: Prince Rainier's Jubilee
2000: 2000, tribute to Fernando Botero
2001: The Desert
2002: Pop
2003: Africa
2004: China
2005: Brazil
2006: Reggae
2007: Gypsy

Thank you so much for the information, i didn´t know about Caroline renovation. You know, the dress she wore in 1995 was kind of a tango dress, a mixture of Chanel and a mini-skirt like the tango dancers use.

Well they're, in essence, French, and wearing black to formal occasions is common, but yes a dab of colour would be good. The Pale Pink dress that charlotte wore in 2006 was lovely, and uplifting. I think they both need to wear a different fashion house, I mean Chanel's cocktail style dresses are cute, and very understated elegance, but the ball gowns are often less then inspiring.

Charlotte's pale pink ballgown was lovely and age-appropriate. It came a year after she wore that ivory Chanel suit with matching hat to her uncle Albert's investiture ceremony. That suit was just awesome on her. It's outfits like these that got her on the Best Dressed List for 2006.

Charlotte never goes wrong when she sticks with classic, clean, age appropriate clothes. I know that a young girl likes nothing better than to experiment with clothes styles, but cutting edge haute couture really doesn't suit her, IMO.

The three pictures below show hair styles a younger Caroline wore in previous galas and which I find very fitting for a Spanish theme. Although Charlotte looked gorgeous as she was, these styles would have looked good too... I also really like the shawl Caroline wears in the first picture. Something along those lines would have looked nice this year too...

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l5/louise_030/scan0017-2.jpg
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l5/louise_030/scan0019-1.jpg
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l5/louise_030/scan0020-2.jpg

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l5/louise_030/scan0015-1.jpg

Caroline had already worn a similar dress at a concert in Salzburg, which I didn't think was one of her best choices.

When Charlotte and Valentine Pozzo di Borgo were friends, I always admired Valentine's choices. She apparently favored Dior. Something along the lines of that black dress with the whimsical morifs of color over it might have been fun...

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l5/louise_030/scan0022-2.jpg
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l5/louise_030/scan0029-2.jpg

The German mag BUNTE (print - therefore I don't have a link) acutally praised Caroline for her choice of dress. They said something like this beautiful ageless woman :)lol: thanks to botox and whatever) Caroline wore the headturner of the evening, sexy, thrilling, and looked great thanks to her regal attitude :eek: After reading through this thread I can honestly say that at least 95% of all posters (including me) or even more found her choice cheap, hideous and not appropriate at all. But BUNTE always knows better regarding Monaco, heralding an upcoming engagement between PA & CW for months now. Despite no announcement they call her the quasi finacee who does not want to / need to make an engagement official because they are in love anyway and everybody knows :rolleyes: Regarding Caroline I am not surprised, not only because she belongs to the Monaco clan who enjoys unexceptional sugary coverage in BUNTE but they also have a soft spot for these "ageless" women around their 50ies, such as Caroline, Sharon Stone or german actress Iris Berben, constantly praise them by making people believe that their looks are purely down to happiness in life and 3 litres of Evian water per day :whistling: and that any woman should look like these role models of today's society who look and behave like 20 year olds when they are already 50 plus. If you take a closer look you can easily see that this is far from the truth, even despite the heavy airbrushing of the pics, and that denying one's age can look truly embarrassing.

Last edited:
The German mag BUNTE (print - therefore I don't have a link) acutally praised Caroline for her choice of dress. They said something like this beautiful ageless woman :)lol: thanks to botox and whatever) Caroline wore the headturner of the evening, sexy, thrilling, and looked great thanks to her regal attitude :eek: After reading through this thread I can honestly say that at least 95% of all posters (including me) or even more found her choice cheap, hideous and not appropriate at all. But BUNTE always knows better regarding Monaco, heralding an upcoming engagement between PA & CW for months now. Despite no announcement they call her the quasi finacee who does not want to / need to make an engagement official because they are in love anyway and everybody knows :rolleyes: Regarding Caroline I am not surprised, not only because she belongs to the Monaco clan who enjoys unexceptional sugary coverage in BUNTE but they also have a soft spot for these "ageless" women around their 50ies, such as Caroline, Sharon Stone or german actress Iris Berben, constantly praise them by making people believe that their looks are purely down to happiness in life and 3 litres of Evian water per day :whistling: and that any woman should look like these role models of today's society who look and behave like 20 year olds when they are already 50 plus. If you take a closer look you can easily see that this is far from the truth, even despite the heavy airbrushing of the pics, and that denying one's age can look truly embarrassing.

I've got to stand up for P. Caroline her because no one can say her appearance was down to an easy life, because well her life hasn't been easy. She may have a little help from the cosmetic surgeon, but whatever. She certainly does not act like a 20 year old though, she has always, since her mothers death, acted very maturely, as far as I can tell.

Well, I have to question whether Princess Caroline has had cosmetic treatments or surgery. Actually - and this is NOT an insult - her skin looks to be aging as it would for someone in their late 40s-early 50s. She doesn't appear to have that "plastic" or "waxy" look that women do when they have had too much botox, or have their skin pulled so tight by plastic surgery/face lifts they just don't look 'real' anymore. She appears not to have had those treatments, and certainly has not had her lips done, either (or her breasts, for that matter) - which are usually the three things that are done 1st, when people want to look younger. She has natural lines on her face, which makes her look natural and REAL, not like some waxed doll or a freak. Certainly, Stephanie has not had any surgery - with all the sun and tanning treatments she's had - neither woman strikes me as the type who is uncomfortable with their looks. I think they're quite confident - Princess Caroline was certainly confident enough to wear that dress w/out support...that says a lot about how comfortable she is with her natural figure. I admire her for that, alone!

It was not Bunte that had a legal quarrel with her?

I don't think that Caroline wearing almost transparent dress during Rose Ball says something positive about her self confidence. Yes, woman wearing such a dress that shows her not young body has ill advised confidence. IMO no woman should wear so transparent dress at any event. It may look OK on catwalk but not at official event. But I know that Caroline has a good taste in general, so I think she just made a mistake.;)
I think this year theme was difficult. It is not easy to find outfit matching the Movida theme and not tacky in the same time. It seems like quite a lot of women had a problem with it this year.:lol:
The event seemed to have really good decoration, but we could not see a lot of it in pics or in video clips. They should give this event better media coverage.

I don't think that what a woman wears at an event like the Rose Ball should have anything to do with whether she is confident with her natural figure or not. It should not have to do with her(self), but with the dignified image she needs to project about the principality she represents. A higher interest should take precedence over such personal considerations and vanity.

This being said, women can't win: they dress their age, and might be called matronly or dowdy. They dress to show off their still youthful figure, and they are said to try and look (unsuccessfully of course) younger than they are. They get cosmetic surgery and become the laughing stock for the natural-looking coalition. They let their wrinkles show and all their sins (sun, smoking) are thrown into their faces as just retribution for their carelessness.

This being said, women can't win: they dress their age, and might be called matronly or dowdy. They dress to show off their still youthful figure, and they are said to try and look (unsuccessfully of course) younger than they are. They get cosmetic surgery and become the laughing stock for the natural-looking coalition. They let their wrinkles show and all their sins (sun, smoking) are thrown into their faces as just retribution for their carelessness.

Yeah true.
I prefer women who look like their lifestyle, in this case Stephanie. She has lots of wrinkles and looks much older but that's authentic about her. Everybody knows that Caroline has been and still is a heavy smoker over many decades. She would look even worse than her younger sister without whatever treatment she had. But, of course she still looks lightyears better than many other women around Monaco whose body parts have different age records, eg Ivana Trump or Baroness Brandstaetter.

Well, I have to question whether Princess Caroline has had cosmetic treatments or surgery. Actually - and this is NOT an insult - her skin looks to be aging as it would for someone in their late 40s-early 50s. She doesn't appear to have that "plastic" or "waxy" look that women do when they have had too much botox, or have their skin pulled so tight by plastic surgery/face lifts they just don't look 'real' anymore. She appears not to have had those treatments, and certainly has not had her lips done, either (or her breasts, for that matter) - which are usually the three things that are done 1st, when people want to look younger. She has natural lines on her face, which makes her look natural and REAL, not like some waxed doll or a freak. Certainly, Stephanie has not had any surgery - with all the sun and tanning treatments she's had - neither woman strikes me as the type who is uncomfortable with their looks. I think they're quite confident - Princess Caroline was certainly confident enough to wear that dress w/out support...that says a lot about how comfortable she is with her natural figure. I admire her for that, alone!

I agree that both women seem comfortable in their own skin, which is great. But I remember a photograph taken by the great Yousuf Karsh on the occasion of Princess Grace's 40th birthday. It was taken in the Palace's atrium, in profile. There are many photos of Grace over the years that literally took my breath away and this was one of them. I so wish I knew how to post photos. Her skin was flawless, perfect. The difference between Grace's skin in her 40's and her daughters is just remarkable.

In all fairness to Princess Caroline, it was not until VERY recently that she began to show her age. Stephanie on the other hand started to "hit the wall" as we say here in sunny Calif at least ten years ago, IMO.

we may shop in chanel but we dream in Elia Saab.

Whats up with Karl Lagerfeld and those sunglasses? The man wears them everywhere <removed speculation - tbhrc>. I don't know how he can stand wearing them in the dark.

we may shop in chanel but we dream in Elia Saab.

Well Eli Saab has a massive store in Paris, and he does do a Couture collection, so if they like they can where him too. I think they both need to branc out a bit. It's a bad thing to stick to, one anything, your entire life.

Caroline looked like a drag queen (no disrepect meant to drag queens) in one of Almadovars movies. If I went to pick up a date for an event like the Rose Ball and found her dressed like that I would have gone stag. It was grotesque, especially on a woman of a certain age. The original version was only marginally better. She will certainly appear on several worst dressed lists at year end.

I kept thinking that I would see a more flattering photo of Caroline somewhere but I'm still waiting. I thought it looked like an old lingerie set instead of an evening dress. I've seen her dress better, what is the excuse for this horror? By the way--to the poster who made a reference to Rocky Horror--perfect!:lol:
All the drag queens I've ever seen here in Atlanta look better, they wouldn't have a saggy bosom (wear undergarments or have support built into the dress--isn't couture supposed to do that? At least be a well constructed garment).

I`m not sure but I think Charlottes dress is also see through. You can see her panties in this pic. Mister Lagerfeld really should get busted for this ball desaster. :)

IBL Bildbyrå - Förhandsvisning av ' GAS2017234_251.jpg '

Has no one heard of proper undergarments any more? Wear a slip if the dress isn't lined but as I said earlier I would have expected couture to be lined/supported if undergarments were not required.
My mom would slap me silly if I didn't have hose/slip/bra included when leaving the house.

Princess Caroline has always dressed to express herself and/or play a part. The rebellious daughter in revealing attire that made her mother uncomfortable, the dutiful daughter dressing appropriately for Royal duties after Princess Grace passed away, the happy young wife and mother, the grieving widow who cut her hair off and eschewed make-up, the devoted mother in St. Remy de Provence casually dressed to walk her children to school, the resurgence of Royal when she started seeing Prince Ernst. With this dress it seems another rebellion is in order. Against who, I wonder? Prince Albert? She's been the leading lady of Monaco for far longer than I think she would have chosen. She's always said she didn't have a choice when it came to her career, her future, maybe she's making a choice now.

Or she just liked the dress and doesn't really give a *&$#& what anybody else thinks. But no, that's more of a Princess Stephanie attitude. I think Princess Caroline does really care what people think.

Princess Caroline has always dressed to express herself and/or play a part. The rebellious daughter in revealing attire that made her mother uncomfortable, the dutiful daughter dressing appropriately for Royal duties after Princess Grace passed away, the happy young wife and mother, the grieving widow who cut her hair off and eschewed make-up, the devoted mother in St. Remy de Provence casually dressed to walk her children to school, the resurgence of Royal when she started seeing Prince Ernst. With this dress it seems another rebellion is in order. Against who, I wonder? Prince Albert? She's been the leading lady of Monaco for far longer than I think she would have chosen. She's always said she didn't have a choice when it came to her career, her future, maybe she's making a choice now.

Or she just liked the dress and doesn't really give a *&$#& what anybody else thinks. But no, that's more of a Princess Stephanie attitude. I think Princess Caroline does really care what people think.

lea-this is agreat post and you make some excellent, thoughtful points. I never thought of it that way, the Princess dresses to reflect her attitudes and moods during certain periods of her life.

Caroline is an overall success when it comes to clothes. I happen not to like this particular dress, but the overall effect is the same. She is a style icon.

Lea, I think she just dressed to play a part. Anything else.

I'm posting the link to Pedro Almodóvar's blog (LadyMacAlpine posted it in the Albert and Charlene Current Events Thread) here so that everyone can read what he had to say. Discussions about Albert and Charlene should go on in their thread:

Pedro Almodóvar Blog

heiii in photos section you can see the charlotte's complete dress hehe

I don't need to comment on the blog it speaks for itself, but I like the photos that he included, I wish there were more! What can I say, I'm a visual person!

What went wrong, fashion wise with Caroline. Charolette looked stunning, dress, make up & hair but overall made her look way older than her age. Charlene looked nice, its nice she stood out. Pictures of dancing are lovely, also liked the ones of Charolette arriving with her friends.

caroline etc. has to make sure that noone is wearing anything similar. she looks young enough to get away with the outfit at this stage of her life so guess she is making the most of it; i love it because it's so very different and what about that ruby and diamond ring heart shaped!!! i also loved the roses on her shoes!! charlotte looked exquisite, beautiful tailoring and material in her jacket and a lovely fresh dress underneath. charlene looked lovely but did u notice not one scrap of jewelry and she got away with it too, which speaks volumes for her. someone has helped her with her false eyelashes; i notice caroline and charlotte are not into that, thanks heavens. thanks so much for the pictures of the ball to all concerned.

Just looking at the 1st & last videos posted earlier & it seems Caroline was conscious of perhaps revealing too much up top when you look at her hand gestures. I dread to think how she might have looked when she first emerged from sitting in the limo on the way to the ball:eek:

i agree. caro was very conscious of the top part of her dress, putting her hands up in front etc. noticeable in the photos also. they sunbake topless over there - it's not big deal to them.

No it's not a stretch. Please refer to my early post above. The Rose Ball is traditionally a COSTUME BALL. This year's theme was Movida a time period in the 1980's Spain and cultural events taking place at that time. .

yes it was a COSTUME BALL!! SPANISH!! the small bolero jacket charlotte wore is styled along the lines of a bull fighter jacket. Like alot of costume parties, not everyone dresses in a them, which is a shame - i have experienced that in holding fancy dress parties.

Back
Top Bottom