Rose Ball, Monaco: 2005 - 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Poor dear has the worst posture of the night thus making her belly look like it's sticking out.

Thank you all for the pics, articles and videos. :flowers:

Too bad Andrea was not there.......:ermm:

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/804...36CAF14D5D5C8B31E4245D07247FEE30A760B0D811297 i actually thought that this was Caroline for a minute its scary the resemblence
http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/804...36CAF14D5D5C87D2B75EDE71CFF2CE30A760B0D811297 what was the woman thinking i cant remember her wearing something as bad as this dress for a few years AWFUL

why are they always in black????

there was only one belle of the ball - Charlene at last a worthy replacement for the glamour, elegance and style of Princess Grace
Albet please hurry up and marry this one

Last edited:
Well, after reviewing the complete slide-show pics for this 'classy event', all I can say is that this simply was the epitamy {Inappropriate comment removed}Or 'Lifestyles of the Rich and Tasteless'.

Caroline should be told she is a 51 year old woman, not a 21 year old club girl who thinks dressing up in Halloween black coffin interior (with her post-Easter fuschia pink pursie) with her breasts shamefully on display is in any way elegant. Her hair (in close-up) was a mess.

Charlotte, whom I always professed to be 'very cute' but not gorgeous, {Inappropriate comment removed} by the Karl Lagerfeld "Vere zis black - you vill look vunderbar and sooo klassy' team, as she looked, again, like a 21 year old woman eagerly wishing middle-age would ring her Paris/London doorbell. Her lipstick was too bright, too red - too much. Did she go 'bobbing for strawberries' prior to the event? And what's with Pierre's hair, or lack of it? Is he a skin-head wannabe?

The 'travelling freak show', led by uber-neurotic Karl Lagerfeld was on fine and full display, what with the Marilyn Manson wannabes and the Euro tarts, whose make-up was, what, 3 layers deep? {Inappropriate comment removed} did anyone get a load of the 'entertainment' on stage for the evening. I felt as if it were the Eurovision Song Contest goes to Monte Carlo. By the way Karl, for a designer, you sure as heck wear the SAME get-up to each and every event. And will someone tell Herr Lagerfeld that sunglasses at night indoors is just plain ridiculous?

I will say that Charlene looked quite nice - understated yet elegant - but the proverbial adolescent Albert should finally grow up and make a decision.

I'm sorry, people, but this whole evening just reeked of utter {Inappropriate comment removed} plain and simple.

Johnnie! I am holding my sides with laughter at this post. I can't disagree with a single word.(except tht I think Charlotte is a great beauty, not merely cute!) Charlotte and her "red lollipops"lips well I think it's the only shade of lipstick she owns. At least it appears that way because it's the only one I have ever seen her wear. The only time I saw her without it was at Prince Rainier's funeral.

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually like Char's jacket. It's very "Tudor." I would have loved to see it with a fuller skirt. Yes, it's black and boring, but I love the shoulders on the dress. It would be cool to see the jacket paired with jeans too.

As far as everyone else, Caroline should be fined for wearing that monstrosity. It's one thing to buy couture but for goodness' sake! Less trim, less feather, less everything! Tailor the dress to suit your needs (and your age, eh hem).

Midnight blue is a lovely color on Charlene. Besides the fact that she looks old for her age, she looked nice.

I actually like Char's jacket. It's very "Tudor." I would have loved to see it with a fuller skirt. Yes, it's black and boring, but I love the shoulders on the dress. It would be cool to see the jacket paired with jeans too.

As far as everyone else, Caroline should be fined for wearing that monstrosity. It's one thing to buy couture but for goodness' sake! Less trim, less feather, less everything! Tailor the dress to suit your needs (and your age, eh hem).

Midnight blue is a lovely color on Charlene. Besides the fact that she looks old for her age, she looked nice.

You think Charlene looks old for thirty? Hmmm. I would have agreed about a year ago but either she has put herself into the hands of a great aesthetician or she has a helluva makeup team. Her skin looks flawless now, not the weather beaten freckled mess it used to be. Caroline's I-smoke-and-worshipped-the-sun-in-my-youth skin looks dramatically improved too.

Just imagine what Rainier and Grace would have made out of a Spanish theme event. At least members of the Spanish Royals would have been on the guest list. But with Albert showing up with his mistress - no member of any reigning house would attend. Apart from Shirley Bassey and Pedro Almodovar the guest list was very poor - only a former Miss Sweden and Playmate added a little glamour - and of course the unavoidable Mr. Lagerfeld. Even the models and actors/actresses seem to stay away. It looks like Stephanie is a no show when Caroline is attending and the other way around - what a shame. Does anyone know whether she was at Marchais with her kids for Albert's birthday party??

The guest list gets worse every year. I think the last time they had some real star power at either the Rose or Red Cross Ball was when Rainier was still alive. Albert and Caroline better get to work VERY soon to restore the glamour and prestige that these events once had. It will probably never get back to it's 60's and 70's heydey when Grace and Rainier were around...but how many years in a row can Shirley Bassey be the headline performer???

Last edited:
Well, the Ball looked fun.....but, both Caroline's and Charlotte's dresses missed the mark - and, it appears that Caroline didn't have a bra underneath?! You would think Karl Lagerfeld/Chanel could have designed a dress that would show the decolage area, but have support built in?!

I didn't understand Caroline's gown this year at all. I hated her dress last year too. That silver thing made her look like the Tin Man from the Wizard of Oz.

As I said before, she has just enough elegance to carry off even monstrosities like those but I sure wish she'd get back to her old classic look for evening. Maybe she is going thru some type of mid-life style crisis!

Was it a time when Royalty in function attended this ball ?
This is a serious question

who is that woman that push charlene at the side so she can take picture with albert and i cannot belive albert allow her to treat cw that way, if they are madly inlove why is she walking behind him and albert seems to not care, because i dont understand is this in their agreement?:ermm:

Glistening Seas

:eek: looks like Caroline had a Pss Diana "moment". i am sure no one could have guessed that the camera's flashes would r-e-v-e-a-l soo much. haha ohhh those darn camera's tee hee. Quite honestly, I get the feeling that maybe Caroline didn't want to go with the original lagerfeld version because; since, maybeeee she wanted something a "little more costume-y"??? don't you think?? :monacostandard::sun::unicorn:

I think it is time for all the dithering to stop and the family situation to be regularised.
Yes, I think Albert should marry Karl Lagerfield!:)

Glistening Seas

:) Perhaps most have missed the point of the matter that the other's in this affair seemed to be dressed in rather costume-y type outfits so i think that is possibly whhhhy Caroline picked the outfit she did as well as charlotte? any opiNioNs on this.

who is that woman that push charlene at the side so she can take picture with albert and i cannot belive albert allow her to treat cw that way, if they are madly inlove why is she walking behind him and albert seems to not care, because i dont understand is this in their agreement?:ermm:

Look at little closer at the video and you will see it's not a woman. Part of the theme for the ball was like our Mardi Gras which is why all the outfits are over the top except Charlene. It's a costume ball.

Look at little closer at the video and you will see it's not a woman. Part of the theme for the ball was like our Mardi Gras which is why all the outfits are over the top except Charlene. It's a costume ball.
thank you for your explain you are right it is a costume ball so everyone was dress according to the ball except cw ithink she did not get the message or maybe she wanted all the focus on her, since she now the media sweetheart.

thank you for your explain you are right it is a costume ball so everyone was dress according to the ball except cw ithink she did not get the message or maybe she wanted all the focus on her, since she now the media sweetheart.
I didn't realize that and that being the case Charlene is the odd man out and dressed incorrectly. Caroline is dress appropriately. I thought she was trying to have some fun with what she wore this year.

My own opinion is that the Rose Ball was a way for Grace to stay connected to her creative side. I think if you look back at the balls you will see that not only were they costume balls but the settings for the balls were equally fantastic - stage sets for the scene if you will -all done to raise money for charity. Caroline is trying to carry on the tradition. I hope that Charlotte will soon be working with her to take on the role as well.

:) Perhaps most have missed the point of the matter that the other's in this affair seemed to be dressed in rather costume-y type outfits so i think that is possibly whhhhy Caroline picked the outfit she did as well as charlotte? any opiNioNs on this.

I think that they simply have become fashion victims to Lagerfeld -- a blind obsession or approval of whatever he or his design team at Chanel advises them to wear.

Honestly, I'm beginning to have a new found respect for Stephanie, who was never declared by the fashion world as an icon as her mother, sister or niece. But at least she seems to not be enslaved by any designer.

I think that they simply have become fashion victims to Lagerfeld -- a blind obsession or approval of whatever he or his design team at Chanel advises them to wear.

Honestly, I'm beginning to have a new found respect for Stephanie, who was never declared by the fashion world as an icon as her mother, sister or niece. But at least she seems to not be enslaved by any designer.
Being a Mardi Gra theme Caroline and the others got it right the fashion victims didn't dress for the night.

Last edited:
Charlene was definately the belle of the ball. I have to wonder if maybe Caroline and Charlotte intentionally "dressed down" to give her the spotlight? I have a hard time they chose their gowns based on the fact that they liked then or thought it looked good on them - how many evening gowns do they get to choose from in Mr. Lagerfield's collections? Methinks KL's talent is slipping!

I don't know her name, but she seems to be some sort of lady in waiting since Princess Gracia's time. You always see her in the background at official events. The one who always carries a spare pantyhose or a napkin for the ladies in her purse in case of need.. Meanwhile she's probably the only one left who cares about protocol or at least knows about it. Over the years (I believe she serves for 50 years or so) she became a grey eminence in the back. Albert or Caroline wouldn't dare to snub her. I observe her for many years and I'm wondering what's going on in her mind about the way events like that have developped over the years. But sometimes you can read on her face though. Does anybody knows more about her or at least her name - would be interesting.

Last edited:
You think Charlene looks old for thirty? Hmmm. I would have agreed about a year ago but either she has put herself into the hands of a great aesthetician or she has a helluva makeup team. Her skin looks flawless now, not the weather beaten freckled mess it used to be. Caroline's I-smoke-and-worshipped-the-sun-in-my-youth skin looks dramatically improved too.

I noticed quite many wrinkles for her age around her eyes and mouth - they are all gone now - obviously she has been under serious treatment.

I don't know her name, but she seems to be some sort of lady in waiting since Princess Gracia's time. You always see her in the background at official events. The one who always carries a spare pantyhose or a napkin for the ladies in her purse in case of need.. Meanwhile she's probably the only one left who cares about protocol or at least knows about it. Over the years (I believe she serves for 50 years or so) she became a grey eminence in the back. Albert or Caroline wouldn't dare to snub her. I observe her for many years and I'm wondering what's going on in her mind about the way events like that have developped over the years. But sometimes you can read on her face though. Does anybody knows more about her or at least her name - would be interesting.
her name is virginia gallico. and you are right. she is always around. was married to a writer i think, now she is widowed. i think she is a godmother either of charlotte or alexandra. quiet sure it's alexandra.

I believe she would be EMPLOYED BY THEM! I don't believe they are worried about snubbing her, she would no longer be there if they didn't wish it! I'm sure they have a lot of respect for her since they grew up with her and she still stands by their side. However I imagine Albert and Caroline have no need for simple protocol instruction that others may still be in need of.

Last edited:
her name is virginia gallico. and you are right. she is always around. was married to a writer i think, now she is widowed. i think she is a godmother either of charlotte or alexandra. quiet sure it's alexandra.

Yes, Alexandra, you remember Alex has all their godmothers names: Alexandra Charlotte Ulrike Marian Virginie.

Yes, Alexandra, you remember Alex has all their godmothers names: Alexandra Charlotte Ulrike Marian Virginie.
Sorry, it's not Marian but Mariam (after Mariam Sachs, o,e of the godmothers)

Back
Top Bottom