The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #1781  
Old 03-19-2016, 07:20 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
I'm sorry if I sound harsh but my views on this ball tonight are very negative. I was disappointed on so many levels that I even think this is maybe the worst Rose Ball I've ever seen. First, the absolutely scandalous absence of princess Charlene. Unless something major has happened, there is no excuse for her not be there, and please, if ever a statement regarding a child being ill comes out, I will be very tempted to doubt it. Twice absences in a row are too much. Second, the looks are totally underwhelming. I can give a pass to the "meh" dress Tatiana is wearing or to the princess-y ball gown of Beatrice (which IMO has nothing to do with Cuba). The best dressed is Princess Caroline, and I' m not even fond of her dress. Charlotte and Alexandra's looks are no comment. Sorry for my rant, but I can't no more.
I totally agree. Where on Earth was Charlene tonight and where was she at the circus festival in January as well? These are events she has attended for years and now she has suddenly stopped.
Reply With Quote
  #1782  
Old 03-19-2016, 07:24 PM
Marty91charmed's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Near Verona and Venice, Italy
Posts: 6,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie25 View Post
I totally agree. Where on Earth was Charlene tonight and where was she at the circus festival in January as well? These are events she has attended for years and now she has suddenly stopped.

Of course, there will be some kind of excuse for her not to be there, but she is the princess of Monaco and as the first lady of that tiny country, she has the duty to be there. This a big occasion, not a small, meaningless affair. I'm glad that someone agrees with me on this.
__________________
"Yet, walking free upon her own estate
Still,in her solitude, she is the Queen".
Reply With Quote
  #1783  
Old 03-19-2016, 07:33 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
Of course, there will be some kind of excuse for her not to be there, but she is the princess of Monaco and as the first lady of that tiny country, she has the duty to be there. This a big occasion, not a small, meaningless affair. I'm glad that someone agrees with me on this.
I had a feeling weeks ago that Charlene wouldn't attend this event. I really do feel that there will be things in Monaco that Albert and Charlene will attend and those that Albert and the rest of his family will go to.
Reply With Quote
  #1784  
Old 03-19-2016, 07:35 PM
Marty91charmed's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Near Verona and Venice, Italy
Posts: 6,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie25 View Post
I had a feeling weeks ago that Charlene wouldn't attend this event. I really do feel that there will be things in Monaco that Albert and Charlene will attend and those that Albert and the rest of his family will go to.
I was hoping to see her tonight instead, simply because she hasn't worked much for ages. I'm sorry if I hurt someone's feelings, but she has completely let me down at this point. It doesn't work like this.
__________________
"Yet, walking free upon her own estate
Still,in her solitude, she is the Queen".
Reply With Quote
  #1785  
Old 03-19-2016, 07:53 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
I was hoping to see her tonight instead, simply because she hasn't worked much for ages. I'm sorry if I hurt someone's feelings, but she has completely let me down at this point. It doesn't work like this.
No, I still agree with you. I was very much looking forward to seeing Charlene tonight but I never get too excited these days as it's almost impossible to predict if she will show up at certain events. I also agree that as Albert's wife that is unacceptable. We should expect her to attend certain events without question and the Rose Ball is one of them. The Monte Carlos Masters tennis is next month and I can't even be sure she will show up there the way things are going. It's pathetic.
Reply With Quote
  #1786  
Old 03-19-2016, 07:58 PM
Marty91charmed's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Near Verona and Venice, Italy
Posts: 6,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie25 View Post
No, I still agree with you. I was very much looking forward to seeing Charlene tonight but I never get too excited these days as it's almost impossible to predict if she will show up at certain events. I also agree that as Albert's wife that is unacceptable. We should expect her to attend certain events without question and the Rose Ball is one of them. The Monte Carlos Masters tennis is next month and I can't even be sure she will show up there the way things are going. It's pathetic.

The point is that most of these events are dear traditions. I would expect a certain consistency in atteding or not attending at least, and not merely showing up whenever one feels like attending and not expecting criticism...
__________________
"Yet, walking free upon her own estate
Still,in her solitude, she is the Queen".
Reply With Quote
  #1787  
Old 03-19-2016, 08:08 PM
rominet09's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: LIEGE, Belgium
Posts: 5,405
Such a !pity Charlene did not attend
Reply With Quote
  #1788  
Old 03-19-2016, 08:13 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: London, Canada
Posts: 2,178
The theme of the ball looks fun, I like the decor. Mixed feelings about the clothes - Caroline looks good, as does Beatrice in an OTT way, Tatiana is herself (which she does very well), Alexandra is turning into a pretty young woman and Charlotte looks a mess from the neck down.

Stephanie hasn't attended for years and her children have never attended so not surprised there.

As for Charlene I can't be disappointed when I didn't think she would show up. She's very busy, you see, single handedly bringing up the twins, running her one issue foundation and not learning the language of the country of which she is the Sovereign Consort. Also Monaco is very small so there's only so much she can do - it's a continual source of amazement that Grace and then Caroline were able to find so many engagements to attend when they had "first lady"duties!

Anyway, with or without her it looks like they were having fun, great to see Alexandra there and hope they raised lots of money for good causes.
Reply With Quote
  #1789  
Old 03-19-2016, 08:29 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florestane View Post
The theme of the ball looks fun, I like the decor. Mixed feelings about the clothes - Caroline looks good, as does Beatrice in an OTT way, Tatiana is herself (which she does very well), Alexandra is turning into a pretty young woman and Charlotte looks a mess from the neck down.

Stephanie hasn't attended for years and her children have never attended so not surprised there.

As for Charlene I can't be disappointed when I didn't think she would show up. She's very busy, you see, single handedly bringing up the twins, running her one issue foundation and not learning the language of the country of which she is the Sovereign Consort. Also Monaco is very small so there's only so much she can do - it's a continual source of amazement that Grace and then Caroline were able to find so many engagements to attend when they had "first lady"duties!

Anyway, with or without her it looks like they were having fun, great to see Alexandra there and hope they raised lots of money for good causes.
I like Charlene but this post is correct on so many levels. As Albert's wife we should expect to see her at certain events without question. The next one in that category will be the presentation of the trophy at the final of the Monte Carlo Masters tennis tournament. We shouldn't need to wonder if she will be there but who knows?
Reply With Quote
  #1790  
Old 03-19-2016, 08:37 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: London, Canada
Posts: 2,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie25 View Post
I like Charlene but this post is correct on so many levels. As Albert's wife we should expect to see her at certain events without question. The next one in that category will be the presentation of the trophy at the final of the Monte Carlo Masters tennis tournament. We shouldn't need to wonder if she will be there but who knows?
I don't dislike Charlene (contrary to what some people think) but I find it hard to fathom anything about her, she's a real enigma to me.

I suspect it suits her and Albert but it gives a weird message to onlookers and the local population must find it perplexing. Given that Albert and Charlene seem aware of public relations with the interviews and photo ops they give, you would think they would be a little more savvy. They wouldn't have to keep giving explanations if she just pitched up a bit more...

Anyway, whatever she does most of the time I personally think there are certain events she should turn up for - and this is one of them.
Reply With Quote
  #1791  
Old 03-19-2016, 08:41 PM
titiromi's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 486
If before, I was unsure, I think now it's pretty clear that Charlene is avoiding Caroline. Something must have happened ...

I adore Beatrice's dress. she was "wow" as was her husband.
I think Charlotte should stop wearing Chanel, this dress (is it a dress?) must be very expensive but is just horrendous.
Reply With Quote
  #1792  
Old 03-19-2016, 08:48 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Spring Hill, United States
Posts: 3,010
Beatrice dress was lovely, the rest looked like they found clothes in a garbage can. Tatiana looked like an old woman who was hit by a bus shortly before. Charlene may be ill. People get ill. This is not the most important thing on earth.
Reply With Quote
  #1793  
Old 03-19-2016, 08:49 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: London, Canada
Posts: 2,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by titiromi View Post
If before, I was unsure, I think now it's pretty clear that Charlene is avoiding Caroline. Something must have happened ...
Maybe so - I don't think they have much in common really - but they've been pictured together at events over the last year where they have been getting along just fine. Who knows? Definitely a bit odd though.
Reply With Quote
  #1794  
Old 03-19-2016, 09:05 PM
maria-olivia's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Posts: 7,357
Princess Caroline and family attend the Rose Ball
Princess Charlène attends the red Cross Ball.
Reply With Quote
  #1795  
Old 03-19-2016, 09:07 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: London, Canada
Posts: 2,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
Beatrice dress was lovely, the rest looked like they found clothes in a garbage can. Tatiana looked like an old woman who was hit by a bus shortly before. Charlene may be ill. People get ill. This is not the most important thing on earth.
High end garbage cans in your neck of the woods...

Charlene may well be ill - unfortunate that it means she misses what is a key event in Monaco for the second year running.
Reply With Quote
  #1796  
Old 03-19-2016, 09:08 PM
Marty91charmed's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Near Verona and Venice, Italy
Posts: 6,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
Princess Caroline and family attend the Rose Ball
Princess Charlène attends the red Cross Ball.
No really. Charlene has attended all the Rose Balls except this one and the last year one. Usually, it is Caroline who attends thr Rose Ball, while her sister Stephanie is more prone to attend the Red Cross Ball.
__________________
"Yet, walking free upon her own estate
Still,in her solitude, she is the Queen".
Reply With Quote
  #1797  
Old 03-19-2016, 09:11 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: London, Canada
Posts: 2,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
Princess Caroline and family attend the Rose Ball
Princess Charlène attends the red Cross Ball.
Princess Charlene attended the Rose Ball until last year.

Stephanie also used to attend - maybe Charlene has decided to be like her.

I don't think it's a rule that Caroline and family attend one and Charlene attends the other. Caroline sometimes goes to the Red Cross...
Reply With Quote
  #1798  
Old 03-19-2016, 09:11 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 873
No surprise Charlene wasn't there. The Rose Ball has always been Caroline's event (which her mother started in 1954 and Caroline continues in her honor). Charlene attended when she was Albert's girlfriend & fiancée, but stopped when she became First Lady of Monaco, and now hosts The Red Cross Ball exclusively as such, as it should be. Neither Caroline nor her children attend the Red Cross Ball in July; likewise Charlene doesn't attend the Rose Ball. Each has their own individual event.

That said, I am delighted to see Princess Alexandra make her official debut at the Rose Ball! She's 16 years old and imho it's her debutante debut coming out ball. Brings back memories of when Charlotte first appeared at the Rose Ball in 2006 (10 years ago). All Alexandra needs is her youth, she's delightful, a girl/woman.

And what can I say about Beatrice, she's absolutely MAGNIFICENT!!!! Ever since her wedding to Pierre last summer she's brought such glamour, haute couture, elegance, charm, effervescence to the Grimaldi Family. She honestly reminds me of a swan. Or better yet Leslie Caron as Gigi. She's a gem, a rare diamond/emerald, thank you Pierre, thank you.

And Princess Caroline is also shining like a pearl tonight. from the inside out, a blue blood born & bred.

I was only disappointed with Tatiana (sigh) and Charlotte (who looks enceinte). Too bad she didn't bring Lamberto.
__________________
"only as high as I reach can I grow, only as far as I seek can I go, only as deep as I look can I see, only as much as I dream can I be"
Reply With Quote
  #1799  
Old 03-19-2016, 09:16 PM
Marty91charmed's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Near Verona and Venice, Italy
Posts: 6,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadine View Post
No surprise Charlene wasn't there. The Rose Ball has always been Caroline's event (which her mother started in 1954 and Caroline continues in her honor). Charlene attended when she was Albert's girlfriend & fiancée, but stopped when she became First Lady of Monaco, and now hosts The Red Cross Ball exclusively as such, as it should be. Neither Caroline nor her children attend the Red Cross Ball in July; likewise Charlene doesn't attend the Rose Ball. Each has their own individual event.
Actually, Charlene has never missed a Rose Ball after her wedding; she skipped both last year as well as the current ball though
__________________
"Yet, walking free upon her own estate
Still,in her solitude, she is the Queen".
Reply With Quote
  #1800  
Old 03-19-2016, 09:25 PM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Netherlands
Posts: 12,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazuli View Post
[....]
P. Charlene: when will that woman learn that she's a souvereign princess and that she has institutional obligations???
She is no Sovereign Princess but just the wife of.
She has no institutional obligations except just being the wife of.
The Bal de la Rose is no institutional obligation. It is a fundraising event for the foundation of which Princess Caroline is the organizator. Therefore she is the Dame d'Honneur and her family is attending. It is just a party, no ceremony of state...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
Of course, there will be some kind of excuse for her not to be there, but she is the princess of Monaco and as the first lady of that tiny country, she has the duty to be there. This a big occasion, not a small, meaningless affair. I'm glad that someone agrees with me on this.
In essence it IS a small and meaningless affair. It is a bal. A dance event. And rich foreigners have to pay fees to attend, the revenues go to a charity. No more, no less. Every day there is a fundraising event somewhere in London. The Queen never attends. Boohoo to her too, then?

The big affairs are the Fête Nationale, Sainte-Devote, Christmas, the Laureus Awards, the Grand Prix de Monaco, the Diamond League, international congresses and symposia in Monte-Carlo, not an evening of dance and drinking champagne in a club. Come on...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ball, charlene wittstock, charlotte casiraghi, pierre casiraghi, prince albert ii, princess caroline, princess charlene


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Red Cross Ball, Monaco: 2005 - 2019, 2021, 2022 tbhrc Princely Family of Monaco 1615 07-20-2022 09:36 AM
A Retrospective: Rose Ball - Monaco tbhrc Princely Family of Monaco 176 07-29-2015 04:38 PM
A Retrospective: Red Cross Ball - Monaco Lyonnaise Princely Family of Monaco 207 06-09-2006 03:48 PM
Online Monaco Party Thread to celebrate the 2006 Rose Ball teense Princely Family of Monaco 62 03-26-2006 05:50 PM




Popular Tags
abdullah ii africa albert prince consort all tags america arcadie claret austria british british royal family caribbean charles iii claret congo current events danish royal family death denmark duarte pio duchess of kent edward vii elizabeth ii emperor naruhito empress masako espana garsenda genealogy grace kelly hamdan bin ahmed harry history identifying india jewels jordan royal family king king charles king philippe king willem-alexander leopold ier louis mountbatten matrilineal monaco monarchy need help official visit order of precedence portugal prince albert monaco prince christian queen queen camilla queen elizabeth queen ena of spain queen margrethe ii queen mathilde queen maxima queen victoria republics restoration royal initials silk spain spanish history spanish royal family state visit switzerland tiaras visit wine glass woven


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:19 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2023
Jelsoft Enterprises