Rose Ball, Monaco: 2005 - 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Where's Charlene? We got told last year that she didn't go because Gabriella had a cold, what's the excuse this time? She doesn't seem to attend any events where Albert's extended family are there outwith National Day. It's all very strange as she has always went to this ball in the past.

I wonder - there is the quite a big part of family from the generation of children and grandchildren of Rainier and Grace. But, what is obvious, no great-grandchildren. Maybe Sasha, India, Raphael, Jacques and Gabriella stayed with Charlene and she is taking care of them, making a little kindergarten ;) , maybe night swimming training camp.

Last edited:
Happy I saw Caroline now. She looks amazing :flowers:

Surprised Charlene is not there. Was expecting to see her this year :ermm:

The great-grandkids are obviously young for a ball. I would assume they are where they are any time their parents go to an event, with their nannies. I highly doubt Aunt Charlene is baby-sitting India, Sasha and Raphael as well as the twins.

^^^^^ bit unusual for the first lady of the country to be the nanny :lol:
Imo P.Charlene might not be a fan of these occasions and happily leaves these to her husband and sister-in-law

P.Caroline looks great, love that P.Alecandra is there too

I thought the writing was on the wall when she didn't attend the circus festival this year (even though she did every year before her kids were born). Tonight's absence proves,IMO, that last year's excuse for Charlene missing the ball was a load of rubbish. A line has been drawn, I think, that separates engagements involving Albert and his family and those involving Albert and Charlene.

Last edited:
Ok... here go my impressions:
the decoration: lovely!
Princess Caroline: Beautiful
Alexandra: lovely, not in a sexy way but in an innocent angelical look ( nice to see her debut in the ball )
Charlotte: ugly dress: doesn't do her any favor, neither for her skin complexion nor for her figure!!!
Beatrice: too much « ruffled »
TatiAna: apropriate and a nice change from her usual style...
P. Charlene: when will that woman learn that she's a souvereign princess and that she has institutional obligations???

Beatrice, divaish as always. It's just " me, me, me look at me !!! "
Tatiana very plain as susual.
Charlotte could do so much better! And what's this belly ?!
Caroline suddenly looks years older than she is. The updo does not make her a favour and her makeup is too light.
Alexandra just average.

I'm sorry if I sound harsh but my views on this ball tonight are very negative. I was disappointed on so many levels that I even think this is maybe the worst Rose Ball I've ever seen. First, the absolutely scandalous absence of princess Charlene. Unless something major has happened, there is no excuse for her not be there, and please, if ever a statement regarding a child being ill comes out, I will be very tempted to doubt it. Twice absences in a row are too much. Second, the looks are totally underwhelming. I can give a pass to the "meh" dress Tatiana is wearing or to the princess-y ball gown of Beatrice (which IMO has nothing to do with Cuba). The best dressed is Princess Caroline, and I' m not even fond of her dress. Charlotte and Alexandra's looks are no comment. Sorry for my rant, but I can't no more.

I'm sorry if I sound harsh but my views on this ball tonight are very negative. I was disappointed on so many levels that I even think this is maybe the worst Rose Ball I've ever seen. First, the absolutely scandalous absence of princess Charlene. Unless something major has happened, there is no excuse for her not be there, and please, if ever a statement regarding a child being ill comes out, I will be very tempted to doubt it. Twice absences in a row are too much. Second, the looks are totally underwhelming. I can give a pass to the "meh" dress Tatiana is wearing or to the princess-y ball gown of Beatrice (which IMO has nothing to do with Cuba). The best dressed is Princess Caroline, and I' m not even fond of her dress. Charlotte and Alexandra's looks are no comment. Sorry for my rant, but I can't no more.

I totally agree. Where on Earth was Charlene tonight and where was she at the circus festival in January as well? These are events she has attended for years and now she has suddenly stopped.

I totally agree. Where on Earth was Charlene tonight and where was she at the circus festival in January as well? These are events she has attended for years and now she has suddenly stopped.

Of course, there will be some kind of excuse for her not to be there, but she is the princess of Monaco and as the first lady of that tiny country, she has the duty to be there. This a big occasion, not a small, meaningless affair. I'm glad that someone agrees with me on this.

Of course, there will be some kind of excuse for her not to be there, but she is the princess of Monaco and as the first lady of that tiny country, she has the duty to be there. This a big occasion, not a small, meaningless affair. I'm glad that someone agrees with me on this.

I had a feeling weeks ago that Charlene wouldn't attend this event. I really do feel that there will be things in Monaco that Albert and Charlene will attend and those that Albert and the rest of his family will go to.

I had a feeling weeks ago that Charlene wouldn't attend this event. I really do feel that there will be things in Monaco that Albert and Charlene will attend and those that Albert and the rest of his family will go to.

I was hoping to see her tonight instead, simply because she hasn't worked much for ages. I'm sorry if I hurt someone's feelings, but she has completely let me down at this point. It doesn't work like this.

Reactions: eya
I was hoping to see her tonight instead, simply because she hasn't worked much for ages. I'm sorry if I hurt someone's feelings, but she has completely let me down at this point. It doesn't work like this.

No, I still agree with you. I was very much looking forward to seeing Charlene tonight but I never get too excited these days as it's almost impossible to predict if she will show up at certain events. I also agree that as Albert's wife that is unacceptable. We should expect her to attend certain events without question and the Rose Ball is one of them. The Monte Carlos Masters tennis is next month and I can't even be sure she will show up there the way things are going. It's pathetic.

No, I still agree with you. I was very much looking forward to seeing Charlene tonight but I never get too excited these days as it's almost impossible to predict if she will show up at certain events. I also agree that as Albert's wife that is unacceptable. We should expect her to attend certain events without question and the Rose Ball is one of them. The Monte Carlos Masters tennis is next month and I can't even be sure she will show up there the way things are going. It's pathetic.

The point is that most of these events are dear traditions. I would expect a certain consistency in atteding or not attending at least, and not merely showing up whenever one feels like attending and not expecting criticism...

The theme of the ball looks fun, I like the decor. Mixed feelings about the clothes - Caroline looks good, as does Beatrice in an OTT way, Tatiana is herself (which she does very well), Alexandra is turning into a pretty young woman and Charlotte looks a mess from the neck down.

Stephanie hasn't attended for years and her children have never attended so not surprised there.

As for Charlene I can't be disappointed when I didn't think she would show up. She's very busy, you see, single handedly bringing up the twins, running her one issue foundation and not learning the language of the country of which she is the Sovereign Consort. Also Monaco is very small so there's only so much she can do - it's a continual source of amazement that Grace and then Caroline were able to find so many engagements to attend when they had "first lady"duties!

Anyway, with or without her it looks like they were having fun, great to see Alexandra there and hope they raised lots of money for good causes.

The theme of the ball looks fun, I like the decor. Mixed feelings about the clothes - Caroline looks good, as does Beatrice in an OTT way, Tatiana is herself (which she does very well), Alexandra is turning into a pretty young woman and Charlotte looks a mess from the neck down.

Stephanie hasn't attended for years and her children have never attended so not surprised there.

As for Charlene I can't be disappointed when I didn't think she would show up. She's very busy, you see, single handedly bringing up the twins, running her one issue foundation and not learning the language of the country of which she is the Sovereign Consort. Also Monaco is very small so there's only so much she can do - it's a continual source of amazement that Grace and then Caroline were able to find so many engagements to attend when they had "first lady"duties!

Anyway, with or without her it looks like they were having fun, great to see Alexandra there and hope they raised lots of money for good causes.

I like Charlene but this post is correct on so many levels. As Albert's wife we should expect to see her at certain events without question. The next one in that category will be the presentation of the trophy at the final of the Monte Carlo Masters tennis tournament. We shouldn't need to wonder if she will be there but who knows?

I like Charlene but this post is correct on so many levels. As Albert's wife we should expect to see her at certain events without question. The next one in that category will be the presentation of the trophy at the final of the Monte Carlo Masters tennis tournament. We shouldn't need to wonder if she will be there but who knows?

I don't dislike Charlene (contrary to what some people think) but I find it hard to fathom anything about her, she's a real enigma to me.

I suspect it suits her and Albert but it gives a weird message to onlookers and the local population must find it perplexing. Given that Albert and Charlene seem aware of public relations with the interviews and photo ops they give, you would think they would be a little more savvy. They wouldn't have to keep giving explanations if she just pitched up a bit more...

Anyway, whatever she does most of the time I personally think there are certain events she should turn up for - and this is one of them.

If before, I was unsure, I think now it's pretty clear that Charlene is avoiding Caroline. Something must have happened ...

I adore Beatrice's dress. she was "wow" as was her husband.
I think Charlotte should stop wearing Chanel, this dress (is it a dress?) must be very expensive but is just horrendous.

Last edited:
Beatrice dress was lovely, the rest looked like they found clothes in a garbage can. Tatiana looked like an old woman who was hit by a bus shortly before. Charlene may be ill. People get ill. This is not the most important thing on earth.

If before, I was unsure, I think now it's pretty clear that Charlene is avoiding Caroline. Something must have happened ...

Maybe so - I don't think they have much in common really - but they've been pictured together at events over the last year where they have been getting along just fine. Who knows? Definitely a bit odd though.

Princess Caroline and family attend the Rose Ball
Princess Charlène attends the red Cross Ball.

Beatrice dress was lovely, the rest looked like they found clothes in a garbage can. Tatiana looked like an old woman who was hit by a bus shortly before. Charlene may be ill. People get ill. This is not the most important thing on earth.

High end garbage cans in your neck of the woods...

Charlene may well be ill - unfortunate that it means she misses what is a key event in Monaco for the second year running.

No really. Charlene has attended all the Rose Balls except this one and the last year one. Usually, it is Caroline who attends thr Rose Ball, while her sister Stephanie is more prone to attend the Red Cross Ball.

Princess Charlene attended the Rose Ball until last year.

Stephanie also used to attend - maybe Charlene has decided to be like her.

I don't think it's a rule that Caroline and family attend one and Charlene attends the other. Caroline sometimes goes to the Red Cross...

No surprise Charlene wasn't there. The Rose Ball has always been Caroline's event (which her mother started in 1954 and Caroline continues in her honor). Charlene attended when she was Albert's girlfriend & fiancée, but stopped when she became First Lady of Monaco, and now hosts The Red Cross Ball exclusively as such, as it should be. Neither Caroline nor her children attend the Red Cross Ball in July; likewise Charlene doesn't attend the Rose Ball. Each has their own individual event.

That said, I am delighted to see Princess Alexandra make her official debut at the Rose Ball! :flowers: She's 16 years old and imho it's her debutante debut coming out ball. Brings back memories of when Charlotte first appeared at the Rose Ball in 2006 (10 years ago). All Alexandra needs is her youth, she's delightful, a girl/woman. :)

And what can I say about Beatrice, she's absolutely MAGNIFICENT!!!! Ever since her wedding to Pierre last summer she's brought such glamour, haute couture, elegance, charm, effervescence to the Grimaldi Family. She honestly reminds me of a swan. Or better yet Leslie Caron as Gigi. She's a gem, a rare diamond/emerald, thank you Pierre, thank you.

And Princess Caroline is also shining like a pearl tonight. from the inside out, a blue blood born & bred.

I was only disappointed with Tatiana (sigh) and Charlotte (who looks enceinte). Too bad she didn't bring Lamberto.

No surprise Charlene wasn't there. The Rose Ball has always been Caroline's event (which her mother started in 1954 and Caroline continues in her honor). Charlene attended when she was Albert's girlfriend & fiancée, but stopped when she became First Lady of Monaco, and now hosts The Red Cross Ball exclusively as such, as it should be. Neither Caroline nor her children attend the Red Cross Ball in July; likewise Charlene doesn't attend the Rose Ball. Each has their own individual event.

Actually, Charlene has never missed a Rose Ball after her wedding; she skipped both last year as well as the current ball though:flowers:

[....]
P. Charlene: when will that woman learn that she's a souvereign princess and that she has institutional obligations???

She is no Sovereign Princess but just the wife of.
She has no institutional obligations except just being the wife of.
The Bal de la Rose is no institutional obligation. It is a fundraising event for the foundation of which Princess Caroline is the organizator. Therefore she is the Dame d'Honneur and her family is attending. It is just a party, no ceremony of state...

In essence it IS a small and meaningless affair. It is a bal. A dance event. And rich foreigners have to pay fees to attend, the revenues go to a charity. No more, no less. Every day there is a fundraising event somewhere in London. The Queen never attends. Boohoo to her too, then?

The big affairs are the Fête Nationale, Sainte-Devote, Christmas, the Laureus Awards, the Grand Prix de Monaco, the Diamond League, international congresses and symposia in Monte-Carlo, not an evening of dance and drinking champagne in a club. Come on...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom