Rose Ball, Monaco: 2005 - 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Charlene has an 80's hairstyle -- if you lived in the era, you remember the tall bangs. It's part of the "theme" of the event. Princess Grace herself often attended the ball in costume and was criticized for her dress (and in once case had hair so tall she couldn't fit in the car). It's part of the part they play and simply a fun part of the theme.

She only attended once, back in 1969 when they had a hairdress contest and everyone had to wear one. The Rose Ball isn't a costume ball (masquerade) despite it's changing theme, sure some people like to wear something like an accesory related to the theme.

I think instead of it being the Rose Ball, to celebrate spring and the social season in Monaco, it's looking more and more like a Black and White Ball, regardless if they change the theme.

Everyone wearing black is kind of getting merged with the decor, lots of black tonight in the Sporting Club. I think Beatrtice Borromeo is the most beautiful of the night.

Which is the bag versus the the flowers? What I've seen is a bucket type bag (looking closely) with earphones and flowers in it. That's the flowers the presented her. It has a Rock'n Rose logo on it.

and I looked closer. Caroline was not carrying a bag or purse. She is carrying the flower bouquet that is a helmet with headphones and flowers. Not beautiful but not a fashion accessory - just a prop of the event.

Oh, okay. I thought it was one of those old-fashioned evening bags. My mistake!

bea borromeo is a wonderful woman...
they all look ok for me....it´s a pity, Andrea and Tatiana aren´t there (what´s up with them?)
thanks for the photos

where is Eugenie? I haven't seen her in any pics. She's not the blond girl that was in the group pic on getty.

I think it's a bit harsh to be so hard on Charlene. I think she looked just fine and she was making a huge attempt to support the event by keeping with the theme. Can anyone point to the designer of either of the ladies' dresses?

Last edited:
Beatrice's dress is too old for her. It's a great color on her (she's tan enough to not look washed out), but the floor length cut-out sleeves age the dress tremendously.

edit: Now that I can see the pictures more clearly, I really like Caroline's bracelets.

I think it's a bit harsh to be so hard on Charlene. I think she looked just fine and she was making a huge attempt to support the event by keeping with the theme.

But the theme is rock and roll, not punk. She looks awful. From toes to head.

Sorry , Sg1fan , but I don´t agree with you at all . The Royal family play a part , but this doesn´t mean to be badly dressed , and Charlene doesn´t have glamour at all .

It seems that Charlene Wittstock thought it was a costume ball after all and chose to go as Birgitte Nielsen.
Caroline apparently thought nothing and accordingly chose the dullest mumsy outfit I've ever seen her in.
And Albert's pants are too long.
No elegance and no atmosphere in the pics.

But the theme is rock and roll, not punk. She looks awful. From toes to head.

I don't know about her looking awful from head to toe. The theme seems to be 80s rock, so she actually did well in choosing the correct silhouette for her dress. She's tall and broad shoulders like the supermodels of that era, so showing off what she naturally has is keeping up with that theme (if that was what she was going for).

Glamor is but an opinion and I think Charlene is trying, hard. Why so much more critical of Charlene than say Caroline (who in closeup has hair that is just as "messy").

I agree her hair is lacking but to say she is without glamor at all...that seems unfair.

I also don't see how it is possible to judge their chemistry based on their coming into an event. Do we expect open PDAs from them while they are being photographed?

I'm not a fan of Charlene, at all. However, I think there is a lot of unfairness in how she is presented or resented in the forums simply because of her status or lack thereof.

Last edited:
I don't know about her looking awful from head to toe. The theme seems to be 80s rock, so she actually did well in choosing the correct silhouette for her dress. She's tall and broad shoulders like the supermodels of that era, so showing off what she naturally has is keeping up with that theme (if that was what she was going for).

The theme is Rock N Roll from the 50s till today, they're focusing more on the 50s though.

I can't help but wonder if Karl Lagerfeld is the one responsible for this outbreak of black & white in recent years.:cool:

Please note: The forums are a place of freedom of expression,
but offending comments are not acceptable and will be deleted.
Please try to put it politely, criticism can be expressed without
hard words as well.

Iceflower
Monaco Forum Moderator

Glamor is but an opinion and I think Charlene is trying, hard. Why so much more critical of Charlene than say Caroline (who in closeup has hair that is just as "messy").

I agree her hair is lacking but to say she is without glamor at all...that seems unfair.

I also don't see how it is possible to judge their chemistry based on their coming into an event. Do we expect open PDAs from them while they are being photographed?

I'm not a fan of Charlene, at all. However, I think there is a lot of unfairness in how she is presented or resented in the forums simply because of her status or lack thereof.

I agree. If anything, I applaud her presence and the fact that she keeps things interesting. She will be more crucified I think if she ended up wearing her hair a la Princess Grace or trying to dress like Grace. So why not inject something unique and press worthy?

I am also kind of alarmed with Caroline's face. There is something off ... I don't know if it's her hair pulled like that or her make-up being too pale, but it is not a refreshed face.

I can't help but wonder if Karl Lagerfeld is the one responsible for this outbreak of black & white in recent years.:cool:

That would be very possible since he dresses both Caroline and Charlotte. I'm curious to know if anyone recognizes any of the dresses from his collection? I'm even more suspicious of the glove since that's one of his "signature" looks.

Last edited:
^ Caroline's dress is Chanel.

The theme is Rock N Roll from the 50s till today, they're focusing more on the 50s though.

But if it's also 'til today, then Charlene is okay with what she has chosen. Even Caroline's blazer is more 80s than 50s.

The peacock detail is still terrible, though.

I really like Charlene's barely there look. She looks fresh-faced and natural.

I am also kind of alarmed with Caroline's face. There is something off ... I don't know if it's her hair pulled like that or her make-up being too pale, but it is not a refreshed face.
We shouldn't forget that Ernst is still in hospital. Caroline could have chosen not to attend. She put her professional duties first. :clap:

I like Princess Caroline and Charlene's dresses. Charlene's dress is more sexier than Caroline's.:flowers: But I don't like their hairdos at all and I also don't like Caroline's purse. It looks tacky, not pretty at all.:eek: I am sad that Princess Stephanie did not attened tonight.:argh:

Too bad Princess Stephanie didn't attend the Ball, she would have enjoyed this theme so much. The motorcycles of the Harley Davidson Club in Monaco were parked outside the Sporting. If she would have attended I'm pretty sure she would have worn her leather jacket over the dress.

I think they're all focusing on the Rebel side of Rock ;)

^ Oooh, I like that Balmain. It does look like it's right up Charlotte's alley.

I don't understand Charlene. The dress isn't suitable for the type of her figures, make-up makes her old and tired:ohmy::ermm: Terrible:nonono:
I love rock-n-roll style but her choice are terrible as for me:ermm:

Back
Top Bottom