Rose Ball, Monaco: 2005 - 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There are heirs for the throne already.
Anyway,back to the Bal de la Rose, Charlotte was simply gorgeous,her hairdo, her dress, her soft make up,she's astonishing.
I hate red lipstick on her, it doesnt suit her at all.

Ranier made sure there are heirs by making carolines kids the heirs. I wish caroline would use another designer I am tired of seeing her in lagerfeld designs.

i was almost sure she was about to be this week's cover at PdV!such a beauty! -) thanks Fandesacs2003

Beatrice said:
i was almost sure she was about to be this week's cover at PdV!such a beauty! -) thanks Fandesacs2003

You are welcome Beatrice.
I buy it each week, so I'll also report the article

I
wish caroline would use another designer I am tired of seeing her in lagerfeld designs.
Very well said! I totally agree with you. She should quit Lagerfeld and wear something that suits her Mediterranean looks.

i'm in the minority but i love charlotte's dress from last year better, there was something very dreamy about that one. although this year's very nice toom, a bit safe but definitely elegant.

Caroline should wear more colrful outfits. black and dark colors in general doesnt suit her because she has dark hair and a very Latin/Med look.

moby said:
i'm in the minority but i love charlotte's dress from last year better, there was something very dreamy about that one. although this year's very nice toom, a bit safe but definitely elegant.

I loved last years also very much.
Last year it was a dress for a young blossoming girl, this year for a woman:wub:

I too have noticed that Caroline and Ernst seem to be distant in their behavior to one another. They are not really "together" during the course of the entire night. There were really no pics of them at all recently. Nothing to mention from Zurs this year. I was hoping that something cozy would show itself between them at the Rose Ball, but no luck. Oh...oh.

They danced together at one point...not many pics were taken thought.

Glistening Seas

:flowers: it was so-o-o-o nice to see pics of the crowd that they looked sincerely enjoying themselves and the fact there was even a Princess whom went was really nice to see. i had no idea they used so many flowers wow. does anyone know if steph children are old enough to attend or maybe they are just so busy all year long that sometimes it just nice to put your feet up for the night and watch a movie knowining that Caroline and PA have everything under control:angel: :innocent: :lucky:

Last edited:
le_ptit_diablotin said:
Well I agree with you. But we know as well that the favourite colour of HRH The Princess Caroline is blue dark and black dark according to her unofficial biography. As you can remark, Caroline often wore in dark colour. Why? Because I think it might suits perfectly to her and her personnality, maybe to her age.
Do you think if is it suitable to the spouse of President Bush if she is able to wear in pink or yellow? No ... And The Duchess of Cornwall Camilla? Nope... That's why. I mean it about evening dress and no official daily clothes :flowers:
I'm absolutely sure that her mother the Princess Grace will very proud of her daugther, because Caroline is also one of the most elegant women of the world, don't forget it. Caroline have been elected several times the most elegant women of the world (she beated several times her title compared to the Princess Diana.....)
In truth HRH Princess Caroline is elegant but more intellectual and elegant is this lady who is royal and does not wear "dark" colours and that in Europe.Strange that it is suitable for this great lady to wear the colours you hypothetically dispprove on Camilla and the First Lady but she wears an array all the time and probably would have to the Rose Ball:Yes, colour at The Rose Ball has nothing to do with elegance.Amazing this Queen wears white even: I have no clue which Europeans you represent and speak for your self and HRH Princess Caroline because Her Majesty Queen Sylvia does not wear "dark" in her gala wardrobe.
The Queen's Gowns
I like the particular gowns from 1989,1995,2006 especially showing innovation and feminity.
As for HRH Princess Caroline "dark blue" has become facile, habitual and a way of life with her and I do not think the Fauves would have liked her.But it possibly bespeaks an identification with her partial Italian roots and their love of perpetual widow's clothing. However since it suits her well, I have no problem.
But your other point does not stand about all Europeans embracing this tendency.
I hope that colour will enter the Rose Ball one day on the backs of ladies who are elegant enough abolishing colour complacency to know how to comport it.
And I hope it is the night you count your euros to attend don't forget it.

Last edited:
Great link!!! Wow - 1993!

I wish we had similar links for all of the Monaco Princesses for the Rose Ball and the Red Cross Ball. Not that we don't have pictures, but in chronological order like that would be sweet!

Thanks everybody for beautiful pictures,Charlotte looks wonderful,all is perfect,her makeup,hair and the dress is just awsome!

Thanks for the awesome link, Jaya, without you I'd never even have thought of looking at Queen Sylvia's gowns. So much to see on the royal forums, it's good to be introduced to something new, even though the moderators will think we are getting sidetracked. I must say I find Sylvia's styles a little dated, kind of fifties and sixties and very British, but 81, 82, 88, 91, 92 and 94 really stand out. You have proved your point : color rocks ! Personally I am fond of Rania's and Mathide's styles, but again, the idea is to provoke a "Wow" feeling, rather than "Yes, the same old elegance, her trademark..." (Parenthically, Nicole Kidman does that for me at Hollywood events, this incredible combination of supreme sophistication and use of color.) And I feel Elie Saab, Valentino, Oscar de la Renta, and sometimes Armani or Versace accomplish that. Anyway, thanks, it was eye opening, no pun intended !

Is it just me but didn't we see more pictures from Rose Ball last year? :ermm: I even think that Rose Ball thread from last year had more posts. It seemed posters were more excited about the ball b/c couriosity whenever Charlene would have appear or not...

But it possibly bespeaks an identification with her partial Italian roots and their love of perpetual widow's clothing.

I guess you should update your views on Italy and Italian women.
Though dark coulours seem to be still fashionable here and in France as well.

Lakshmi said:
Is it just me but didn't we see more pictures from Rose Ball last year? :ermm: I even think that Rose Ball thread from last year had more posts. It seemed posters were more excited about the ball b/c couriosity whenever Charlene would have appear or not...

It's not just you. There don't seem to be that many pics.

were there any pictures of tatiana's outfit or of tatiana in the ball? charlotte looked delightful. :)

Jaya said:
Her Majesty Queen Sylvia does not wear "dark" in her gala wardrobe. The Queen's Gowns
As for HRH Princess Caroline "dark blue" has become facile, habitual and a way of life with

Thank you for your message, Jaya! I have to say that HRH the Princess Caroline is not dressed in dark at all at the Rose Ball last saturday, the color of her robe is lot of mixed colors, as you can see closely into pictures, the color is mixed : gold, red, dark brown, a bit of blue, orange, yellow etc ... (very hard to describe exactly) :flowers: According to the Point de Vue magazine today, Caroline wants to choose of dressing it for the theme "Tzigane" as her cousine Albina of Boisrouvray (godmother of Charlotte) with her amazing necklace (I really love it) that's why.
One important point, Caroline came personnally in the Sporting Club to supervise the Rose Ball several days about the decoration, music, etc before the day of the Gala. It's also the Princess Caroline who choose and invente herself the topic of Rose Ball every year with help of 2 organizing women, Francoise Dumas and Anne Roustang.
PS : Thank you for the Queen's Gowns, it's incredible!

Last edited:
le_ptit_diablotin said:
Thank you for your message, Jaya! I have to say that HRH the Princess Caroline is not dressed in dark at all at the Rose Ball last saturday, the color of her robe is lot of mixed colors, as you can see closely into pictures, the color is mixed : gold, red, dark brown, a bit of blue, orange, yellow etc ... (very hard to describe exactly) :flowers: According to the Point de Vue magazine today, Caroline wants to choose of dressing it for the theme "Tzigane" as her cousine Albina of Boisrouvray (godmother of Charlotte) with her amazing necklace (I really love it) that's why.
One important point, Caroline came personnally in the Sporting Club to supervise the Rose Ball several days about the decoration, music, etc before the day of the Gala. It's also the Princess Caroline who choose and invente herself the topic of Rose Ball every year with help of 2 organizing women, Francoise Dumas and Anne Roustang.
PS : Thank you for the Queen's Gowns, it's incredible!
The Rose Ball was a fantastic success and that is what matters.

iloveroyals said:
Thanks for the awesome link, Jaya, without you I'd never even have thought of looking at Queen Sylvia's gowns. So much to see on the royal forums, it's good to be introduced to something new, even though the moderators will think we are getting sidetracked. I must say I find Sylvia's styles a little dated, kind of fifties and sixties and very British, but 81, 82, 88, 91, 92 and 94 really stand out. You have proved your point : color rocks ! Personally I am fond of Rania's and Mathide's styles, but again, the idea is to provoke a "Wow" feeling, rather than "Yes, the same old elegance, her trademark..." (Parenthically, Nicole Kidman does that for me at Hollywood events, this incredible combination of supreme sophistication and use of color.) And I feel Elie Saab, Valentino, Oscar de la Renta, and sometimes Armani or Versace accomplish that. Anyway, thanks, it was eye opening, no pun intended !
My point was colour and not style.The argument went that colour is not age appropriate or the carrier of elegance as stipulated by Chanel's wisdom on mature[Laura Bush & Camilla} women so I chose Queen Sylvia as an example.I do not find Queen Sylvia's gowns for a consort and Queen dated and aflashbacl to the fifties and sixties. They are not British styles but by a Danish designer mostly, Jorgen Bender.Perhaps you mean that some look like the "Winterhalter" look.The fuller skirts are designed to be able to sustain the jewels and tiara. Just look at her gowns in 1979 and in 2006.They are timeless. Nicole Kidman is too tall{could be in the circus} too pale and wore a colour which was unbecoming on her this year from Balenciaga to the Oscars..HRH Princess Caroline can wear her "dark" or can incorporate her colours either way as she is a stunning lady & beautiful princess at any Ball.I hope your closet then is full of these fabulous"wow" designers you describe..as eye openers to all of us who may not have heard of them ..no pun intended....

Last edited by a moderator:
Glistening Seas

:flowers: well with regards to caroline i think from the few pics i have seen she does wear colors well, and stephanie too although to re-iterate i think she is just so busy that sometimes it's just nice to sit at home knowing PA AND CAROLINE and children are holding down the fort. however stephanie too seem to look wonderfully colorful although here in Europe we do tend to use darker colours but still they do have a good variety from what i have seen any opINions on this :flowers: :angel: :blink: :huh: :angel:

Tosca said:
I guess you should update your views on Italy and Italian women.
Though dark coulours seem to be still fashionable here and in France as well.
Hi Tosca,
My thoughts date back to the origins of "black" as a formal colour.There were a plenitude of pious women in Italy who happened to be widowed or not but they did and do wear black.Black as a formal colour of deep significance in the West dates back to the Myrrh-bearing women who stood by Christ at his crucifixion assisted to take him off the Cross and early next morning dressed in "black" came with myrrh to anoint and render last respects to Him.Italian ladies follow in the historical tradition {now a fashion} of vast significance
The myrrh-bearing women were widowed of Jesus and wore "black" as a powerful manner of ideal to express their loss through the physical.[black}.It came down the centuries as a formal colour without anyone really knowing why. So I hope those today who espouse black also are able to imitate the selfless,spiritual, myrhh bearing women.
Happy Easter.

Last edited:
Italian ladies follow in the historical tradition {now a fashion} of vast significance

It would be more correct to say that ladies in certain Italian regions followed that historical tradition. You foreigners are used to dealing mostly with immigrants of Southern Italian descent, and up until three or four decades ago those ladies used to wear total black when someone in their family died, so they virtually wore black clothings as long as they lived, but nowadays even in deep Italian South women don't wear mourning for a lifetime, as they did before. Most of them also covered their head with black headscarves, and when I was a kid, women still wore headscarves when going into a church, but now nobody does. So forget about Monica Bellucci starring in the Dolce and Gabbana video.

Happy Easter to you too.

Going back to Caroline's dress, I think that brown doesn't suit her.

Tosca said:
Italian ladies follow in the historical tradition {now a fashion} of vast significance
Most of them also covered their head with black headscarves, and when I was a kid, women still wore headscarves when going into a church, but now nobody does.

Princess Máxima, of Basque and Italian (Liguria) descent still does.... picture

:flowers:

Henri M. said:
Most of them also covered their head with black headscarves, and when I was a kid, women still wore headscarves when going into a church, but now nobody does.

Princess Máxima, of Basque and Italian (Liguria) descent still does.... picture

:flowers:[/quote]

Well, she's a princess, but "normal" ladies don't.:flowers:

Back
Top Bottom