Relationships between members of the Princely Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you so much for typing up the article, Alexandria.

Wow, I found the article to be very sad. In this article the Grimaldis are portrayed as being a very sad and lost family.

I wonder how things would have been had Grace not died? I wonder if Caroline would be as hard as she is now and if poor Stephanie would be as lost as she is now? I wonder if Albert would be as seemingly lost as he appears to be as well?

So many questions....

:rolleyes: sisters, this kind of behavior is to be expected. Everything will smooth over soon.

Hi all,

I was wondering how close Caroline and Stephanie are, being sisters.
Do they have a close relationship?

Intuitively I feel they have very different personalities and lifestyles and therefore don't have such a close contact. Is this so? I never see them looking at each other in pictures and so. Or am I wrong?

Marina

Anyone, she knows Caroline and Stéphanie, they love each other very much. But, they have serious <<frictions>> a lot. It is the fault of both. Caroline, when she is young, does all of the things Stéphanie does, people say is bad. Stéphanie, as a small girl, she wants to be like Caroline. But, she must be herself, too. Caroline, you could say, with today's morality which Stéphanie is often judged, set a very bad example for Stéphanie. Moralities change. Caroline was in a time these moralities were more okay. But, Stéphanie, she is judged by today. It is more a conflict of the times. But, they love, inside, very much.

Carole

Hi Marina and Carole!

I believe that the two sisters love one another very much, however, they still remain somewhat distant at times because they have different lives. They have simply chosen to go about different ways of living their lives and have different priorities and ideals. I don't think that this means that they have no appreciation for one another as some would say.

However, I have never really believed that they have the great friction between them that the press loves to mention. I think they manufacture stories about them hating each other and always fighting and never getting along simply to sell magazines and get people talking about the sisters.

Carol Laure, I think that you made and excellent point about Stephanie perhaps following her big sister's lead at times. However due to their difference in age when Caroline was ready to start a family Stephanie was still very young and really left alone once Caroline started her own life. Perhaps Stephanie could have used Caroline's guidance in the "been there done that" sense, however, Stephanie was left to her own devices and well Stephanie is Stephanie as you very well said. Princess Grace, herself, once remarked, "Stephanie is my wild child" to a friend.

Very nice pics of Princess Caroline and Princess Stephanie. When were the holiday pics taken? Thye seem circa 1997 imo.

I guess you're right...around 1997 is possible....

My take on Caroline and Stephanie is that they are "normal" sisters; my own sister is 6 years younger and was definitely treated differently than I was. My parents were far less strict--and that can create some tension. The age difference can only add to the tension. If it's anything like my relationship with my sister--and it seems to be, you, as the eldest, get tired of the younger one messing up her life and being excused for it. The bond between the two, however, was so well dcoumented when Stephanie "grew up," as she is capable of doing, and came to her sister's plight after Stefano's death. Suddenly, Stephanie had a house next door and was looking after the kids---attending their little concerts and things--and generally cheering her sister as much as she could. I don't envy either one. I think their lives have been very hard living under the microscope and no amount of money cures the pain of a mother's early death, a husband's death and all the criticism that is lodged their way--no matter what they do.

I think Stephanie said they go their own ways as they have very different lives. I don't doubt they love one another--don't forget Stephanie dropped everything and moved in next door to her sister after Stefano's death. I think Caroline is a bit more snobbish and must cringe at Stephanie's choices--particularly in men. The circus is something to attend, not join nor marry.

I have often wondered if Caroline ever, in some way, blamed Stephanie for the accident. Not to be cruel but just human nature. Or if she didn't blame her but instead felt for her and helped her out.......I don't think Stephanie has ever gotten over something that happened that day--not the accident but perhaps final words that were said, etc.

I look at Stephanie and just see a very sad young woman who seems without anything centering her. Very unfortunate.

Originally posted by maryshawn@Aug 6th, 2004 - 8:00 pm
I think Stephanie said they go their own ways as they have very different lives. I don't doubt they love one another--don't forget Stephanie dropped everything and moved in next door to her sister after Stefano's death. I think Caroline is a bit more snobbish and must cringe at Stephanie's choices--particularly in men. The circus is something to attend, not join nor marry.

I have often wondered if Caroline ever, in some way, blamed Stephanie for the accident. Not to be cruel but just human nature. Or if she didn't blame her but instead felt for her and helped her out.......I don't think Stephanie has ever gotten over something that happened that day--not the accident but perhaps final words that were said, etc.

I look at Stephanie and just see a very sad young woman who seems without anything centering her. Very unfortunate.
yEah it is human nature to blame others for mishaps and probably in the midst of misery or anger a little voice in her head will tell CAroline that is was all Stephanie's fault...but its just the little evil voice that likes to play with our feelings...

Stephanie recently clarified she has made mistakes in her life but said no one could know how awful it is to live with that cloud the media doesn't allow to die--that she was driving when her mom was killed. I have always believed the offical version made sense. Grace had complained of headaches for weeks, she had a minor stroke while driving and it confused her or she lost consciousness for a moment and then the crash caused the head injuries which caused her death. Like Diana, had she survived she would've been a vegetable so in some ways it is a blessing she died...given that as the alternative. I have great sympathy for her and Caroline. I thank God I am not famous and don't have all the scrutiny. I think Queen Noor's friend summed up the difficulties--and I thought about this today when I overslept and had to run out with bad hair and no makeup--"when Noor married, she gave up so much--including the right to have a bad hair day." Ugh. I can't imagine having every word, every action, every look scrutinized......that's no way to live.

hey Reina i can't access the picture in either link is it possible if you can post the picture here please? WHat picture is it?

It is from National day celebrations.

And you know I thought I posted the pic, but somehow it turned into that second link. I will try again.

Well I guess it does not work.

But they are both on the balcony alone (albert is inside, but you can see him in the background) and they are not talking to each other. Just ,looking out in the crowd. In this particular pic, Stephanie is looking down and her lips are pressed-to me that shows the strain and tension the the relationship. Caroline is just looking out at the crowd as if Stephanie is not there. But that is just my interpretation.

Reina said:
Well I guess it does not work.

But they are both on the balcony alone (albert is inside, but you can see him in the background) and they are not talking to each other. Just ,looking out in the crowd. In this particular pic, Stephanie is looking down and her lips are pressed-to me that shows the strain and tension the the relationship. Caroline is just looking out at the crowd as if Stephanie is not there. But that is just my interpretation.
True. All the time on balcony there wasn't any conversation between them..(it seems like that when looking on photos). Most of people explain Steph's worry look is caused by Prince Rainier's illness. It can be that but I'm not so sure if that was the only reason.

And something more..I noticed that Stephanie didn't have any closer touch to Alexandra exept smiling at her in some photo. It is really strange 'cause on numerous National day celebration there was common photos of Steph hugging Charlotte, Pierre, Andrea or talking to them. But with Alexandra nothing more than smile. I'm not saying that Caroline doesn't allow it, it is nonsense to say that. Maybe is just a case of not so good sister relation in these days. Hope they work it out!

I have totally noticed that to. I kind of think that Caroline and Ernst don't want her to wrongly "influence" HRH Princess Alexandra. Ya get my drift?

Yea..if it is like that it is so sad that sister's battle affects kids on that way..Stephanie's youngest- Camille is only one year older than Alexandra- they could be like sisters , but not only that, having Stephanie as aunt is great fortune 'cause you know that she will be here for you in every moment not metter the circumstances ( it seems like she is that kind of person) plus fun comes always along.

how close ere they as children
they are a few years a part

The Strain Has Existed for Years.....

I was just reading a post from a member who said she had met Charlotte and siblings at a party and they were rather snobbish......It prompted me to recall I once spent a summer with one of the daughters of one of Grace's bridesmaids, Judy Balaban Quine--who later wrote a book called "The Bridesmaids." The girl was in the Northwestern University summer cherub theatre program and once recalled how she spent some time in Monaco with the Royal Family. She said Albert was wonderful, Caroline could be very charming or impossibly royal and Stephanie was at that young bratty age. Her mother's account is better but even then, during one of the visits, this girl said Caroline resented the fact Stephanie was allowed to get away with anything and one day enlisted everyone's help to stuff Stephanie in a toilet. Grace and Mrs. Quine intervened in time and Grace was quite furious. But Caroline held her ground, saying "she was annoying us!" This girl said Caroline felt as eldest, she should "run the show" and was quite bossy with her siblings and other children. But she liked to focus on Stephanie in family get-togethers as Stephanie, like most little sisters, wanted to always be around and Caroline didn't like it. So she had no trepidation about doing what she wanted to her little sister.......including the putting her in a toilet headfirst incident. I think there was a situation created which would forever define the sisters' relationship when Grace and Ranier became so "permissive" re: Stephanie and, alternatively, were quite rigid with Caroline. There was always resentment due to that. It is a pity things went the way they did as both women have good qualities but just don't seem to like one another. I have the sense Stephanie feels inadequate in her sister's eyes and if Caroline were to extend the olive branch, she'd readily accept. An article in "Hello" in 2001 basically quoted her saying as much. Both were traumatized by Grace's death but Stephanie was there and had to endure persistent rumors she somehow caused the accident. Just as she reached out to help Caroline after Stefano's death, it would be nice if Caroline could realize the extent to which Stephanie's life must have been living hell for years.....and how that may have affected her choices. Stephanie could benefit from Caroline's love and acceptance--to be shown contempt must hurt very badly. At the end of the day, neither chose how they were raised or how Grace's life ended.....life's too darn short for animosities to continue.

Thanks Maryshawn. Very interesting. I'm forever a fan of Stephanie. It's sad. I always admired Caroline, but I wanted to hang out with Stephanie.

From what i read a few years ago in a Hello interview with Albert, he seemed quite prepared for taking over the running of Monaco...he was very much involved in the daily business with Rainier. As for succession, I think it's normal they changed the succession rules since if Albert died without an heir then Monaco would return to French rule and I believe the Monagesques didn't want that. And as accession is usually to the next sibling, then it's normal that Caroline and Andrea would end up next in-line. I didn't like the line "this suits Caroline down to the ground"...i also appeciate that as the eldest Caroline did feel more duty bound and that there was a lot of pressure on her...being the oldest (female) child and, like prince william right now, lots of wonder over who she would marry...but as someone on another thread wrote the media probably exaggerates the bad relationship between the two and they are probably just like any siblings...thanks for all the typing...it was a really interesting article to read.

I've cleaned up this old thread and am bumping it back up.:)

so much drama

having read the whole article and from a little experience i have to voice my opinon.
since stephanie is the youngest, i would like to think that her parents rely on the fact that her older siblings would taken an interest and a part in her up bringing. i say this because of my youngest brother-we, the older silbing, were to read, play, and teach him. i think my parents were just tired of childred by the time he came along and a little more relax in discpline too
next- about the accident-for caroline to blame stephanie for the accident is very wrong. she is the older sister and her job(as it were)is to offer comfort, protection,security and love. not to blame her sister for her mom's death.
i hope they can find it in their hearts to put the past behind them and come together as sisters.

Question??

If Albert were to pass away and Caroline assumed power in Monaco do you think Caroline would make sure Stephanie was cared for in the way that Albert had promised Rainier he would care for her?

lashinka2002 said:
If Albert were to pass away and Caroline assumed power in Monaco do you think Caroline would make sure Stephanie was cared for in the way that Albert had promised Rainier he would care for her?

No i don´t think so...I think that Caroline won´t give a dam about her kidsister if she ever became the ruler over Monarco.

lashinka2002 said:

I'm sure she would.... but you know, Stephanie is a grown up person, she's able to care for herself.

michelle said:
I'm sure she would.... but you know, Stephanie is a grown up person, she's able to care for herself.

I agree. Caroline isn´t a cold monster who hate her sister.
Caro and Steph are diferent, but they are sisters and love each other. And Caro isn´t a teenager for leave her sister alone!
Steph is able to care herself.

lashinka2002 said:

I don't know why she shouldn't. After all, the family is not known for being poor. Besides, she wouldn't want to provoke public outrage by neglecting her sister.

Back
Top Bottom