Red Cross Ball, Monaco: 2005 - 2019, 2021 - 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree with all the above but looking at images of past balls, it really seems to need an injection of some more well known faces to keep it in the public consciousness, particularly outside Monaco. You only have to look at how few posts there are on this thread in comparison to a few years ago, as an example of how the event doesn't hold our attention in the way that it used to do.

But who are the Elizabeth Taylors, the Audrey Hepburns and the Lauren Bacalls of today? Besides that, the glamour of Monte-Carlo, Cannes, Saint-Tropez in the 50's and 60's was completely different from the glamour anno 2018. Back then people saw rosey-tinted and retouched pictures in the Paris Match, the France-Soir or the Point de Vue and dreamed away by all what they saw. These days we see every hiccup online thanks to social media. The glamour of Ye Olde Days will never come back again.

Capri, my english is bad and you could not understand me, excuse me

Here on the board of Monaco, there are still a lot of fans of Caroline and her family and her children, these fans are desappointed not to see Caroline, her children attending the Red Cross gala and the comments on this board are the Red Cross gala is no more beautiful as before, the singers and the persons who are attending to this gala are not known, as they are seeing only the princely couple for them it is bot glamour because they don't appreciat Charlene.

on the public medias, the comments are different, the gala was big, the princely couple was very smiling, happy, glamour, tou can read the titles of the medias that Iceflower and an another reader published

I don't critic , it is like this on the forum

I will add the persons who attend the red cross gala or the bal de la Rise, don't come to see Caroline her children,,Albert and Charlene, they are attending to warxh a good spectacle to eat a good meal and enjoy and some persons come to be seen by the prince

Here on the board of Monaco, there are still a lot of fans of Caroline and her family and her children, these fans are desappointed not to see Caroline, her children attending the Red Cross gala and the comments on this board are the Red Cross gala is no more beautiful as before, the singers and the persons who are attending to this gala are not known, as they are seeing only the princely couple for them it is bot glamour because they don't appreciat Charlene.

on the public medias, the comments are different, the gala was big, the princely couple was very smiling, happy, glamour, tou can read the titles of the medias that Iceflower and an another reader published

I will add the persons who attend the red cross gala or the bal de la Rise, don't come to see Caroline her children,,Albert and Charlene, they are attending to warxh a good spectacle to eat a good meal and enjoy and some persons come to be seen by the prince

I don't think there was any critics on Prince Albert or on Charlène. The ball was a great success for the Red Cross. But I think the observation of Elly C. that the ball has less media-impact than in the old days, is correct.

I also think that hardly anyone here will remember the days when it was only Rainier and Grace (and Antoinette) - basically from the early 70s we have become accustomed to seeing more than just the Princely Couple. I guess it's just a period of adjustment.

For myself, I do miss seeing Caroline and Stephanie but it's totally natural that they begin to move into the background. Caroline's obvious priority now is her growing tribe and it's completely understandable. It won't be too many years before Stephanie is in the same position.

All that said, I do agree with the general view that maybe it needs a little something to give it a slightly higher profile. I don't know what - a different time of year maybe...

Anyway, just my musings - if the guests enjoyed themselves and lots of money was raised for the Red Cross all is well.

I remember the galas at the ¨rincess Grace times, I read the articles on Point de Vue specially, there was only the couple Rainier, Grace was attending, Antoinette was never present at the end of the years 50n there was a troubke between Antoinette and Rainier after in the years 60 the trouble was finished but Antoinette who was the sister of the prince and her children who had the age to ayyrnd all the galas were never present, I think that Grace wanted all the medias on her and her husband during these big events, when Albert, Catoline and Stephanie were 17 , they attended the galas when they were in Monaco
After the death of P Grace, P Antoinette was present to the Red Cross gala near Rainier, and the children Albert, Caroline and Stéphanie untill 2008, all the family was present near Albert, Who knew that Albert was the president of the Red Cross and was presidung the gala, who were the persons of the board, nobody all was on Caroline and her children
Now, the princely couple is presiding with thepersons of the board, we know that Albert is the president of the most big association in Monaco
It is the same for the bal de la Rose, it is Caroline who is presideng beeing president of the Princess Grace foundation in Monaco

The times changed, before there was not the internet, we were waiting the next week to have photos of the galas, now there are the banks of photos and all the medias sites, we have the photos very soon, one hour after the event also we cannot compare the times are different
Anf now the per.sons are more interessed with the family Kardashian, and other actresses than the royal families, in Point de Vue, and in Match the people are doing the first page
Where are the big galas as ' le bal des débutantes or the bal des petits lits blancs presiding by rhe begum, or the princess Grace pr other princess? they are no more here

"I remember the galas at the ¨rincess Grace times, I read the articles on Point de Vue specially, there was only the couple Rainier, Grace was attending, Antoinette was never present at the end of the years 50n there was a troubke between Antoinette and Rainier after in the years 60 the trouble was finished but Antoinette who was the sister of the prince and her children who had the age to ayyrnd all the galas were never present, I think that Grace wanted all the medias on her and her husband during these big events, when Albert, Catoline and Stephanie were 17 , they attended the galas when they were in Monaco"

That's pretty much what I said although I have a few photos in my personal collection of Princess Antoinette and some of her children attending these events so that's not entirely accurate that they were never present.

I believe Caroline was 16 when she made her gala debut and so that ties in with my comment about the early 70s - and she was there every year after that.

I do not agree that Grace wanted all the media attention for her and her family - that is not in line with her character at all.

I also don't agree that we can't compare because times are different - people have vivid memories of those events in the 70s, 80s and 90s, it's human nature. It's not a question of better or worse, just people's perceptions.

Last edited:

Thank you, Melina premiere for these useful clarifications.
But I wonder why Charlene is not much appreciated. Of course, she was a stranger until some years ago, but She is the woman that Prince Albert has chosen as his wife and as mother of his children. She is also very kind, so dignified. I think that Princess Grace had faced the same behaviour.

Thank you, Melina premiere for these useful clarifications.
But I wonder why Charlene is not much appreciated. Of course, she was a stranger until some years ago, but She is the woman that Prince Albert has chosen as his wife and as mother of his children. She is also very kind, so dignified. I think that Princess Grace had faced the same behaviour.
Personally, I don't think it's a question of Charlene not being appreciated - I think in many ways she remains an enigma. The way she and Albert have chosen to work their diaries (because it differs from so many other royal couples, past and present) causes people to ask questions and wonder about her.

It's not a lack of appreciation - it is widely accepted that she is kind and warmhearted, dedicated to her causes, an extremely proud and loving mum - but I still think she puzzles people.

I don't think it shows a lack of appreciation to ask why she makes relatively few appearances or why she still can't speak French after over a decade in the Principality. Why do she and her sisters-in-law only appear together once a year? Why is the Palace so bad at publicising her work?

Some people on this forum think everything has to be black and white - either you're Team Charlene or Team Caroline. Personally, I think there are many shades of grey.

My explications were not clar

I said that on the Royal forums , Monaco tread, the readers who are commenting ne have never appreciated Charlene since the beginning of the story with Albert, they are prefering Caroline , it is only on this tread

But in Monaco, Charlene is very lloved and appreciated for what she is doing for the handicaped people, the children and the old people

My explications were not clar

I said that on the Royal forums , Monaco tread, the readers who are commenting ne have never appreciated Charlene since the beginning of the story with Albert, they are prefering Caroline , it is only on this tread

But in Monaco, Charlene is very lloved and appreciated for what she is doing for the handicaped people, the children and the old people
But you see Melina I also have contacts in Monaco and some of those people are very critical of her - and yes, they do tell me the truth, and they are real Monégasques or longtime residents. Not all, by any means - as you say some of them are very admiring, some say they aren't interested in her private arrangements as long as the Prince is happy but a significant number do make criticisms. Which is natural - you can't please everyone.

Sorry Moderators- slipping off topic here. Will you move threads or should I copy and paste over to the right one?

Last edited:
Personally, I don't think it's a question of Charlene not being appreciated - I think in many ways she remains an enigma. The way she and Albert have chosen to work their diaries (because it differs from so many other royal couples, past and present) causes people to ask questions and wonder about her.

It's not a lack of appreciation - it is widely accepted that she is kind and warmhearted, dedicated to her causes, an extremely proud and loving mum - but I still think she puzzles people.

I don't think it shows a lack of appreciation to ask why she makes relatively few appearances or why she still can't speak French after over a decade in the Principality. Why do she and her sisters-in-law only appear together once a year? Why is the Palace so bad at publicising her work?

Some people on this forum think everything has to be black and white - either you're Team Charlene or Team Caroline. Personally, I think there are many shades of grey.

Maybe, you are right, Florestane.

An interesting remark made by Melina Premiere in the Princess Charlene Current Events thread relating to Prince Albert's recent speech about Charlene getting more involved with the Red Cross charity and suggesting that this might mean she will take over the presidency which would include the Ball. Perhaps this will give the event a new lease of life and attract a slightly different type of supporter.

Thank you for bringing in that information. There are so many competing charities now.

She is already involved with the Red Cross in SA - as the Patron, I think. It will be wonderful if she is to take over as President of the Red Cross. P Albert needs a little help and support with his many responsibilities and it will be good to see P Charlene more involved in Monaco.

[...] P Albert needs a little help and support with his many responsibilities and it will be good to see P Charlene more involved in Monaco.

That is why the Principauté de Monaco has a government... They -and not the Prince- are responsible and accountable for law and order, for the public services, for the health care, for the security, etc.

The Prince has no executive role. Neither in the state affairs of the principauté nor in the daily business of the Red Cross. The "responsibilities" of the Prince regarding the Red Cross are limited. Use his name and fame, his prestige and his commitment for the benefit of the organization. That is it. And that is a very good also: leave it to professionals to run the Red Cross.

@Duc et Pair #1547

It does not belong necassarily into this thread, but the Prince has the right to Veto anything, which comes out of the legislative and he personally appoints as Head of State the Minister of State as the Head of Government - the Head of Government is not elected by the people. He has a lot of other privileges and duties too!

So, yes, Charlene could do a bit more! In my mind, she could care a bit more about the voters, the people of Monaco, her subjects - they are only a few thousand, but very important anyway...

I agree with Florestane that there are a lot of unanswered questions about Princess Charlene. She does things her own way and it is baffling.

That dress looks so cheap IMO, not the whole dress but that metal chain link at the bust just looks awful. I don't have their money but it's disappointing that someone in their orbit can't point out tackiness like this when it is so apparent.

Last edited:
It's not tacky, it's avante garde. It's elegant and she is stunning. And she dresses beautifully.

Red Cross Ball, Monaco: 2005 - 2018

It's not tacky, it's avante garde. It's elegant and she is stunning. And she dresses beautifully.

I totally agree with you she looks amazing. I couldn’t see any other royal being able to wear this but she can

Last edited:
@Duc et Pair #1547

It does not belong necassarily into this thread, but the Prince has the right to Veto anything, which comes out of the legislative and he personally appoints as Head of State the Minister of State as the Head of Government - the Head of Government is not elected by the people. He has a lot of other privileges and duties too!

So, yes, Charlene could do a bit more! In my mind, she could care a bit more about the voters, the people of Monaco, her subjects - they are only a few thousand, but very important anyway...

QEII, King WA, King Philippe, King Felipe, etc. have that right too: refuse the royal assent. They never do. And rightly they are. The last time the royal assent was refused (Grand-Duke Henri), the Government and Parliament simply stripped the Grand-Duke from that right, with an overwhelming majority. Lost for ever.

Before that, King Baudouin refused his assent once. The Government simply declared the King unfit to reign and took over the royal prerogative. After giving assent to the Bill the King objected to, the King was declared fit to reign again and reinstated in his royal prerogatives.

So let us place "power" in perspective. Central Park in New York is bigger than the whole principality and the Chief Operation Officer of The Central Park Conservancy has more executive "power" than The Prince in his principality.

Last edited:
@Duc et Pair #1556

Well, you think, if you think of Monaco, more of the "Central Park" and the monarchies with royals as paid actresses and actors, as "museum-royals" so to say ... - I think more of Liechtenstein, where the rights of the Prince were confirmed lately in a plebiscite.

That is, why I think, Charlene must care more about her people!

Let us please get back to the topic of this thread - thank you!

Antoinette attended many Red Cross Gala also when Grace was Alice. Surely Antoinette wasn't a star as Grace and her presence for media was not very importante. Caroline has been the most beaitiful Princess in Europe since her birth. No comparison with Antoinette. Caroline has an important role in Monaco even if Albert has married Charlene. Albert knows what Caroline did for 29 years. Albert, Caroline and Stephanie are a team.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom