The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-12-2021, 05:08 PM
Majesty

She did the normal work that a Princess or royal lady is expected to do. It is part of the traditional royal role particularly for female royals, to promote charities. She had connextions in the US and glamour becuase of her looks and film career, but I would not say that she did more than other royal ladies.

Old 01-12-2021, 05:30 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
She did the normal work that a Princess or royal lady is expected to do. It is part of the traditional royal role particularly for female royals, to promote charities. She had connextions in the US and glamour becuase of her looks and film career, but I would not say that she did more than other royal ladies.
Did I say she did more than other royal ladies? I said she did a lot for Monaco and charity work implying in Monaco.

Old 01-12-2021, 05:34 PM
Majesty

Yes but that's what she was expected to do.... Produce heirs, look pretty, do some charity work.....
Old 01-12-2021, 05:43 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Yes but that's what she was expected to do.... Produce heirs, look pretty, do some charity work.....
It’s not bad to give someone credit she did a fantastic job and wasn’t average in it. Lol it’s not that serious.
Old 01-14-2021, 07:28 AM
Administrator

A number of posts have been moved to the "The Late Princess Grace: Pictures and News Part VII"-thread as they no longer discussed Princess Grace's Legacy, please stay on topic of this thread. Thank you!
Old 01-15-2021, 01:21 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Strange as it may seem, her marriage was more of a contractual affair and, while I believed they were infatuated by each other, I think Kelly's reputation as a perfectly poised, gracious, and elegant woman who was, by necessity, a Catholic and looked like a perfect princess, Ranier was also a fairly good looking Prince.

The crux of the matter is the situation Monaco found itself in after WWII and the marriage itself brought the Hollywood and Philadelphia Society elite to Monaco to see the wedding and to sample the nightlife that Monaco had to offer. Behind this, Grace's biggest gift to Monaco was her (several) million-dollar dowry which did much to regild the somewhat tired facade that was Monaco, among other things.

Her biggest legacy was to enable Monaco to regain its mystique with the "fairytale wedding" complete with its wedding dresses by Helen Rose courtesy of MGM's costume department with the inevitable cachet that it lent to Monaco and the tourism that followed, along with the influx of cold hard cash.
Old 01-15-2021, 02:18 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Her biggest legacy was to enable Monaco to regain its mystique with the "fairytale wedding" complete with its wedding dresses by Helen Rose courtesy of MGM's costume department with the inevitable cachet that it lent to Monaco and the tourism that followed, along with the influx of cold hard cash.
And it should not be forgotten, that back then Hollywood stars were like half-gods! They were much more famous and had much more "clout" than today - no satellite-tv or cable or internet back then...
Old 01-15-2021, 02:35 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by victor1319 View Post
And it should not be forgotten, that back then Hollywood stars were like half-gods! They were much more famous and had much more "clout" than today - no satellite-tv or cable or internet back then...
If I'm not mistaken, Grace Kelly rose to fame as a movie star at the same time that people would go to the local theaters to get the latest news via newsreels (Pathe was a big one, I think) as most people didn't have a television set in their home at the time. In 1955, only half of American homes had a TV set.

What a huge change from then to now eh? Makes me realize just how much of a dinosaur I really am. My TV set as a child had a *huge* cabinet but only a 4 inch screen.
Old 01-15-2021, 02:45 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Strange as it may seem, her marriage was more of a contractual affair and, while I believed they were infatuated by each other, I think Kelly's reputation as a perfectly poised, gracious, and elegant woman who was, by necessity, a Catholic and looked like a perfect princess, Ranier was also a fairly good looking Prince.

The crux of the matter is the situation Monaco found itself in after WWII and the marriage itself brought the Hollywood and Philadelphia Society elite to Monaco to see the wedding and to sample the nightlife that Monaco had to offer. Behind this, Grace's biggest gift to Monaco was her (several) million-dollar dowry which did much to regild the somewhat tired facade that was Monaco, among other things.

“ Her biggest legacy was to enable Monaco to regain its mystique with the "fairytale wedding" complete with its wedding dresses by Helen Rose courtesy of MGM's costume department with the inevitable cachet that it lent to Monaco and the tourism that followed, along with the influx of cold hard cash”

- That’s true her wedding dress still emulated today.
Old 01-15-2021, 12:45 PM
Heir Apparent

The overwhelming success of the Grace exhibition which went to multiple venues around the world indicates the sustained interest in her. I seem to recall reading a few years back there were plans to open a permanent exhibition of some kind in Monaco. Hope it happens one day. Albert seems keen to maintain her memory in the Principality and beyond.
Old 01-15-2021, 01:06 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elly C View Post
The overwhelming success of the Grace exhibition which went to multiple venues around the world indicates the sustained interest in her. I seem to recall reading a few years back there were plans to open a permanent exhibition of some kind in Monaco. Hope it happens one day. Albert seems keen to maintain her memory in the Principality and beyond.
Have you read Princess Grace: Princess in Dior book
Old 01-16-2021, 05:50 AM
Heir Apparent

Yes I have and it’s a lovely addition to my collection.
That’s another interesting aspect to Grace’s legacy - there has been so many biographies, photography and fashion titles published over the years and they continue to be published at a steady rate. I have just purchased Girl in White Gloves which is a fictionalised ‘biography’. Last year there was Meet Me in Monaco, another fiction novel set around the wedding of Grace and Rainier. (I will post further details in the book thread). Grace continues to be a source of fascination to those who were born long after her time.
Old 01-16-2021, 10:23 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elly C View Post
Yes I have and it’s a lovely addition to my collection.
That’s another interesting aspect to Grace’s legacy - there has been so many biographies, photography and fashion titles published over the years and they continue to be published at a steady rate. I have just purchased Girl in White Gloves which is a fictionalised ‘biography’. Last year there was Meet Me in Monaco, another fiction novel set around the wedding of Grace and Rainier. (I will post further details in the book thread). Grace continues to be a source of fascination to those who were born long after her time.
I purchased the book yesterday so I'm excited to read her relationship with the fashion house Dior! She is a true style/fashion icon!
Old 01-16-2021, 01:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think too much is made of the marraige being a contract etc. Rainier's grief was terrible when she died, the footage of him at her funeral makes me cry even today when I watch it. Sure they had their good and bad times as all marraiges do but I think that overall it was no better or worse than a lot of marraiges royal or otherwise. Also, as far as royal marraiges in particular go, there have been many one could point at where the partner marrying in had it suggested to them that it would be a good 'deal' for them but it didn't mean they turned out to be bad marraiges in the long term.
Old 01-16-2021, 02:45 PM
Aristocracy

Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie25 View Post
I think too much is made of the marraige being a contract etc. Rainier's grief was terrible when she died, the footage of him at her funeral makes me cry even today when I watch it. Sure they had their good and bad times as all marraiges do but I think that overall it was no better or worse than a lot of marraiges royal or otherwise. Also, as far as royal marraiges in particular go, there have been many one could point at where the partner marrying in had it suggested to them that it would be a good 'deal' for them but it didn't mean they turned out to be bad marraiges in the long term.
There are certainly good and bad times in a marraige. It must have been so hard for Grace to give up the freedom of being an American. The world of Monaco seems so small.
Old 01-17-2021, 01:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie25 View Post
I agree. I think they had a perfectly normal marriage. I've read that after several years of being somewhat separate Grace and Rainier were closer again in the couple of years before her death. I also disagree with a previous poster who described her as an alcoholic - no evidence other than the words of a couple of over the top gossipy biographers.
Old 01-17-2021, 04:02 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florestane View Post
I agree. I think they had a perfectly normal marriage. I've read that after several years of being somewhat separate Grace and Rainier were closer again in the couple of years before her death. I also disagree with a previous poster who described her as an alcoholic - no evidence other than the words of a couple of over the top gossipy biographers.
They didn't have a "perfectly normal" marriage. Rainier was royal and had an obligation to marry, and it seems like the marriage was arranged to an extent. They liked each other but once married I think Grace found Monaco and royal life much more difficult than she had expected. She found Rainier controlling and she hoped to be able to do some acting, which would give her a break but it was considered completely impossible for her to do that. So I think that they had affairs, and lived apart at times...but over time, they developed a relationship that was loving if not always side by side...But her sudden death did hurt Rainier a lot....
Old 01-18-2021, 02:03 PM
Courtier

Quote:
They didn't have a "perfectly normal" marriage. Rainier was royal and had an obligation to marry, and it seems like the marriage was arranged to an extent. They liked each other but once married I think Grace found Monaco and royal life much more difficult than she had expected. She found Rainier controlling and she hoped to be able to do some acting, which would give her a break but it was considered completely impossible for her to do that. So I think that they had affairs, and lived apart at times...but over time, they developed a relationship that was loving if not always side by side...But her sudden death did hurt Rainier a lot....
Like most woman we chase after the fairytale of being a princess then when reality sets...