National Day Monaco: 2006 - 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I liked very much her balcony outfit, even the hat - it was a reminiscence of Golden Era of Monaco with glamorous Grace for me (and no, I don´t compare Charlene with her deceased mother-in-law and don´t want to do it). Albert´s sisters looked beside her quite inconspicuous - but it is logical, now Charlene´s era is coming. She didn´t look at all arrogant to me, her smiles were happy and shy a bit. She must have been quite nervous, being for the first time at such an important occasion as a royal fiancee, with all views targeted on her. Her evening outfit was beautiful as well, only her shoulders looked too wide in it.
I completely agree with you ! She looked happy and shy and very likeable !:)

I was also surprised by Charlene's demeanour. I wonder if she's been to "princess school" and as a result she was very self-conscious and her actions are not quite natural yet. Her outfit looked OTT compared to the others (although she looked well), and her wave...lol, compare her stiff hand to Albert's warm wave.

And what's with all the black? Even Charlotte and Alexandra were in black. It's like Charlene didn't read the dress-code. Or was it a deliberate attempt on behalf of the others to let her stand out, for good or bad reasons?
Char and Alexandra use to wear black in the National Day. But not Stpehanie. Maybe Charlene's chosen something "happy" to wear instead of this monotonous black. The same gos for Caro, she wears black most of the time in their special day. Maybe they think that black is much more official than any other color.

The women in black except of Steph (2009):
http://i51.tinypic.com/2h2goix.jpg
Again..(2008):
I loved Stephanie with that outfit!
http://i55.tinypic.com/1zd5bq1.jpg
http://i54.tinypic.com/2n9eteq.jpg
http://i54.tinypic.com/ejzrro.jpg
Caro at least made the difference in 2007 with that lovely color on her.
She proved that black is not the only color that exists..Char's going on with black, though.
Steph is the only one who doesn't touch it, i guess:flowers:
http://i55.tinypic.com/1zgghlf.jpg
http://i51.tinypic.com/15e7513.jpg
http://i52.tinypic.com/2s1kr9g.jpg
http://i56.tinypic.com/2z4zqrm.jpg
Let.s come to today!
http://i52.tinypic.com/2lizx1h.jpg
http://i55.tinypic.com/21qxk3.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
I have enjoyed every photo I have seen of Charlene in her participation at the Monegasque National Day as the future princess of Monaco. Simply spectacular! With Princess Caroline as her teacher and perhaps mentor, what could go wrong? It's a pleasure to see how far she has come in her grooming and style, looking now so fit to be the next Princess of Monaco.

Thanks for the pics..... Princess Caroline is very elegant as usual and really love the Armani dress of Charlene...She really looks fantastic !!!!!

Watch the balcony video no. 649 on the family video thread. Her smile was glued on. She was very nervous. I don't think PC was sad. I think it is the opposite. She will now have more freedom to pursue the things she wants to do.

Last edited:
I can't fault CW for the dress which was a good choice, especially for a Cathedral. The hat, as I already said, was out of context, in other words, in a group of ladies without hats there should not be a single woman who wears a hat. It is not done.

The evening dress was ghastly. She managed to undone everything she gained earlier on. Is there no one in the Palace who can tutor this lady ??

Some people here need to sit down so fast.....

The Armani dress itself is gorgeous. But Charlene was an Olympic swimmer and therefore has developed strong and big shoulders. She should wear atleast spagetti strings or looser strapless dresses in order to have the fit right for her body.

And did I just see a comment on how Monaco used to be full of glam. Please, I hope you're kidding because one of the few brands who represents glam, it's Armani.
Here is the runway version: http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/9366/armani16.jpg

I honestly don't get the hate for Charlene? How she's supposedly arrogant but looks nervous at most. It's the same story with Kate. Both their future husbands had mothers too famous. Not as if that's wrong, but the shadow is huge.

I can't fault CW for the dress which was a good choice, especially for a Cathedral. The hat, as I already said, was out of context, in other words, in a group of ladies without hats there should not be a single woman who wears a hat. It is not done.

The evening dress was ghastly. She managed to undone everything she gained earlier on. Is there no one in the Palace who can tutor this lady ??

Maybe the other two should have worn a hat? What nonsense. Caroline has almost always worn a hat on this occasion and Stephanie not. What do we know? Maybe Albert chose Charlene's outfits.
The evening dress may not be to everybody's liking, but still is miles and miles and miles above what Stephanie usually wears for an evening gown.
There you have a terrible looking woman, what a mess, but that seems to be OK with everyone, or everyone is used to that.
Charlene looked lovely, also in her evening dress.

lol lol school of princess?? Caroline as a mentor! You have to stop by more frequently in the Monaco forum. La Princess Caroline would never ever have looked so vulgar, first of all because her body and face still look natural. Second, she knows exactly what is the diference between a formal gala and a "party", between a hat and something that looks in your head like a pizza mold. And honestly, I have not seen a picture where it seems like they get along.

I guess that's because you don't want to see it.

I,for one,am glad to see CW wearing something like this. If Princess Maxima, for example, wore these clothes and hat no one would bat an eyelid but the Monaco Royals IMO have been quite dull for many years now ie Caroline in dark colours and mainly small hats and Stephanie looking like she couldn't care less about her appearance so CW does look different but in a good way. I hope she wears hats like this often, the bigger and more colourful the better as Monaco needs some fresh glamour.

P.S. Can't understand what some people have against her as she's never caused any scandal, unlike the notorious Grimaldi sisters, and seems like a well-rounded decent person.

Last edited:
Well, for me Charlene is still looking for her style, i personally think she looked very nice at day at the balcony. And at night, if it weren't for her shoulder, she would have been almost perfect. I say almost because i don't know, there was something missed, but the make up and hair, specially the hair, were great.
Caroline was beautiful, i liked her more in the Gala.
This National Day was excellent. I would have liked to see Stephanie's kids, but i got used to the idea i'll never see them there.

angela, I am so glad about what you have written and absolutely of your opinion.

lol lol school of princess?? Caroline as a mentor! You have to stop by more frequently in the Monaco forum. La Princess Caroline would never ever have looked so vulgar, first of all because her body and face still look natural. Second, she knows exactly what is the diference between a formal gala and a "party", between a hat and something that looks in your head like a pizza mold. And honestly, I have not seen a picture where it seems like they get along.
Sit. Down. Everything Charlene has worn on National Day does not classify as vulgar.

Sit. Down. Everything Charlene has worn on National Day does not classify as vulgar.

It´s not important what you wear, but how you look. You can wear Armani, and still look vulgar. And the dress is not for a gala!! Get over

I could not agree more. Charlene looked GLAMOUROUS, as Caroline used to look years ago. Not only wasn't anything she wore on National Day vulgar, her whole appearance was not vulgar.

It´s not important what you wear, but how you look. You can wear Armani, and still look vulgar. And the dress is not for a gala!! Get over
I have nothing to get over.

Please, Charlene looks fine. You obviously haven't seen anyone who looks vulgar or your whole opinion on vulgar is just wacked. Charlene was styled to impress. If this was Caroline wearing the exact same dress, most people would fall over and kiss the ground she walks on.

Charlene wears the dress with confidence and class. Her hair looks nice, her make-up is good. Too bad the dress isn't made for a person with strong and wide shoulders, emphasized by the veil around her arms. If this is vulgar, well then, there is no hope for the rest of us and most of us all are all prostitutes.

Yes! i was getting worried.
I guess they want more pics of Charlene, to promote her.

And they overdid it in that " promotion ". Everything seems to do done to impose Ms Wittstock ( i never manage to write her name right ) to the monegasques. Her outfit is ugly :ermm: ( and to « retro », as if someone were trying too hard to make her look like a " grace kelly replic " ) the hat is dreadful :eek: ( I remember P. Di wearing one just like that back in the 80's and it looked already awful back then... ) and it seems to have been specifically chosen to make a statement. Final result: lack of naturality... :sad: :sad: :sad:

Caroline would never tolerate this!:p

Blessed may she be for that!!!:whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

And they overdid it in that " promotion ". Everything seems to do done to impose Ms Wittstock ( i never manage to write her name right ) to the monegasques. Her outfit is ugly :ermm: ( and to « retro », as if someone were trying too hard to make her look like a " grace kelly replic " ) the hat is dreadful :eek: ( I remember P. Di wearing one just like that back in the 80's and it looked already awful back then... ) and it seems to have been specifically chosen to make a statement. Final result: lack of naturality... :sad: :sad: :sad:

What on earth did this girl to annoy you all so much? Amazing, and as Empress Merel so wisely stated, had it been Caroline wearing THE hat, she would have been the epitome of style and chic.
Cast your arrows to the awful Stephanie, just a suggestion though....

Well they all seems to be looking elegant this year, including P.ss Stephanie.
The only thing I do not like is the expression Charlene wore on her face.
I've always given this girl the benefit of the doubt, but her smile looked pretty arrogant IMO.

I totally agree with you Tosca... i can't help feeling there's something fishy in this lady! But time ( and life ) will tell. By the way, just compare her triumphant look and pose with the simplicity of P. Caroline's manner ( and yes, the last one was born a real princess and spent her whole life on that balcony )! :ermm::sad::ohmy:

You said it yourself, Caroline had a lifetime practicing on that balcony. Charlene has yet to bring a scandal upon Monaco. Something Caroline, Albert and Stephanie both failed at.

Time will tell.

Agree!!! I had the same feeling when I saw the pic and after i read your post!

She has an expression "I finally succeed, I'm very capable":eek:

The only problem she really, really has is that she hasn't done anything yet to prove her value... and if she already goes abroad with the Souveraign Prince in official trips and international social events ( eventhough she hasn't married him and thus not having yet an official status ) she could very well have already starting fulfilling some official functions in Monaco! after all, being a princess is more than nice dresses and travelling around the world :whistling:;) :whistling:

She doesn´t need to show her breasts to be vulgar, it is enough to insinuate. On the contrary, I would like not to read so many condescending comments, but this is a forum and everyone is entitled to whatever opinion, even those statement like "I am happy for the couple", that I saw repeated a thousand times, around the board. It is pretty sad that people are happy for people they don´t know. Buty as I said, each one his own.

As for the dress, I cannot imagine a less apropriate one for a gala at the opera, it would have been good in a mediocre actress looking for media attention at a premiere. She doesn´t know at all how to dress for this type of events. And don´t blame the PR again please! So what? does it mean I have something against her? If I have to say it again, no!! The fact that she has a terrible taste doesn´t make her my enemy. I don´t care either who marries P A. Anyone in that position will have to face more than difficult circumstances. I am not sure if this woman knows whare she is getting into.
The sad looks on Caroline says a lot. She has always spoken through her body language and dressing style.

Yes, absolutely!!! :sad: :sad: :sad:

Why are people so unkind, Charlene look stunning. Her outfit on National Day was gorgeous and the evening gown was beautiful. Give her a go!, she will find her way and blossum as she goes.

^ People are unkind to Charlene for the same reasons they are unkind when talking about Kate Middleton...because they haven't "proven" anything yet. I agree, we have to give them time to prove themselves. People need to calm down. Neither one of these ladies has done anything to disgrace their future spouses or their countries. I think some people just don't like change.

Please, Charlene looks fine. You obviously haven't seen anyone who looks vulgar or your whole opinion on vulgar is just wacked. Charlene was styled to impress.

Hey, you are entitled to your own taste!

I think she looks like she´s trying to catch attention too hard!! It is a National Day, not CW day. She could´nt have chosen a less appropriate dress for a gala where all the elite, rich and snob people of Monaco are going to attend in a tight strapless that marked her bulky fake breasts. It is not the occasion! Of course the media will use words like stunning, amazing, glamourous, beautiful. They, as well as Albert have to "sell" a new princess. I dont buy it.

An do not make assumptions about me please.

"bulky fake breasts"?

Her breasts are not bulky. I should know, I work with and go to school with women who have fake boobs and trust me......if Charlene has has breast augmentation surgery, her doctor did a fantastic job making them look 100% natural. She was a swimmer, so her upper body is going to be more muscular than the average woman. She can't help that. If you do exercises that work out your upper body, the muscles under the breasts will gain some bulk which can make you look larger, even though the breasts themselves have not increased cup-wise.

All that said, Charlene does not have bulky breasts. I think this is a case of someone looking for any reason to disparage someone and resorting to making things up to do it.

I think Charlene looked great. I do not understand all the hatred towards her. She has not done anything wrong yet.

Back
Top Bottom