National Day Monaco: 2006 - 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Casiraghi didn't attend, a shame.
Caroline looked fantastic. She looked awesome in all day, at day and night.

The Casiraghi didn't attend, a shame.
Caroline looked fantastic. She looked awesome in all day, at day and night.
I agree,Caroline looks elegant and classic both at day and at night,in this NAtional day,and besides, with white gloves I love ,in both ocassions:clap:

Wow, Caroline looks old! Elegant and royal but so old... And I don't mean AT ALL that she should look like a 30 year old, please dont get me wrong. She looked splendid a few months ago and I love the natural and elegant way she is ageing.
What I mean is that she looks 10 years older than 6 months ago, like a lady in her middle sixties. She must have been through a really hard time lately.

Nothing weird imo about Alexandra wearing black. It would maybe be a bit weirder for everyday clothes, but a child dressed in black velvet for a party or a ceremony is cute and totally normal.

Is like the topless, in USA is unthinkable, but in Europe, during a period it was very common.

I don't really get the "during a period". Top-less sunbathing is always extremely common in Europe, at least in the places usually go.

Shame about the chinchilla coat especially as it is not necessary in the warm climate of Monaco !

Please stop the constant lecturing. People in Europe smoke and wear fur as a normal think. And the Grimaldi and Casiraghi do too. Stop trying to make us do things the american way. So much repetitive criticism is starting to be offensive. Foutez-nous la paix!

Last edited by a moderator:
Please stop the constant lecturing. People in Europe smoke and wear fur as a normal think. And the Grimaldi and Casiraghi do too. Stop trying to make us do things the american way. So much repetitive criticism is starting to be offensive. Foutez-nous la paix!

The comment was made by someone living in Europe (i.e. Belgium) not the United States! Make sure your facts are straight before you start making assumptions!

A pity the Casiraghis didn't attend the Opera, but Caroline looked great, she somehow reminded me of her mom.

Not venturing into the fur debate, but I guess there shouldn't be a lot of criticism due to the fact that this is a coat she has worn in the past...if I'm not mistaken she wore to 1998's Circus Festival, and I think also in the 80s. The women in the family have inherited several furs from both Princess Grace and Princess Charlotte, so it doesn't strike me they wear it...at least they're wearing some "old" fur. And when we see new new fur coats on them, who knows if it's fake.

Best Monaco National Day in years!

Sorry, I disagree with you. I live in Greece (Europe....) and I'm against smoking and against wearing furs, and I do not consider this is an american way, it is MY way, and many people's way independantly to the place we live.

Most of the European countries have banned smoking from the public areas, it means that not everyone appreciates smoking! and it is not soo normal anymore!

As regards the Monaco family, YES they smoke and they wear fur, but you can see smoking effect in Caroline's face. Of course it is HER choice, but do not say that it is absolutely normal.

Now the young generation. Charlotte recently has participated in a forum-movement for ecological clothes. I hope that after that she wont' have the hypocrisy to wear furs....

And please allow me to say that "te foutre la paix" is quite stong, everyone has it's opinion and the right to express it.

I don't really get the "during a period". Top-less sunbathing is always extremely common in Europe, at least in the places usually go.

It is everywhere allowed, but less less commom than 10 years ago, especially after all this discussion for the sun risks.

Okay...let's get back on topic and stay away from discussing furs and smoking. As previously mentioned, everyone has their own opinion and can decide for themselves if they are pro or anti anything.

We are not here to debate the pros and cons of either (smoking and/or furs).

Any and all future posts regarding this will be deleted without notice. And most importantly, if you disagree with a particular opinion, lets be civil about it.

Regards,

Zonk
Monaco Forums Moderator

Oh, what I didn't like was Elisabeth De Massy's outfit. I think she was the lady standing next to Albert in the Opera with that big white cross in her outfit....I definitely didn't like it.

Caroline looks greatT}. Dont care for Elisabeth's gown]
These pics are a
reminder that Monaco dose not.have a official royal family unit............

Nothing against Princess Antoinette's branch of the family, especially since they have contributed a lot to the Principality, but seeing Elisabeth Ann and Melanie next to their cousins and the Casiraghi children shows how much magic and prestige Grace Kelly's genes have brought to this Princely Family.

Caroline's posture is so Grace as well as Charlotte's bone structure.

To coincide with Monaco National Day, Nice-Matin (MonacoMaVille) set up a conversation between Stéphane Valéri (President of the National Council) and Georges Marsan (Mayor). The topic: What is the national Monégasque identity?

[My summary of the article]
G.M.: The attachment to the princely family and to our traditions, the red and white of our flag, symbols of Monégasque unity.
Being proud and attached to our roots. To belong to an ancestral history, and to have conserved our values and culture over the centuries. Also the success of our socio-economic model, and having more than 140 foreign nationalities in our country.

S.V.: Attachment to the Sovereign Prince, his family, and the constitutional monarchy. The feeling of belonging to a heritage community with more than seven centuries of history in the same place, which has conserved its traditions, language, its independence. Sharing the same identity, belonging to a nation, though small, with a strong identity.

To summarise in three words:
GM: A big family, national cohesion, openness and solidarity.
SV: Constitutional monarchy, social wellbeing, exceptional security for people and their belongings.

http://www.monaco.maprincipaute.com/actu/actudet.php?abo=1581954&serv=141&idDoc=1161895&idCla=loc&utm_source=ofmnewsletter&utm_medium=lettredinformation&utm_campaign=actualiteville&xtor=EPR-300-%5blettredinformationactualite%5d-20091121-%5bactualiteville%5d

Last edited:
Isn't Caroline's dress from the gala, the same she wore at the Rock 'n Rose Ball earlier this year?

Isn't Caroline's dress from the gala, the same she wore at the Rock 'n Rose Ball earlier this year?

It looks like the same dress except in a different color. The Rose Ball dress was pink, this one appears to be a shimmery blue!

Caroline looks Fab!!!!. Why dosent Prince albert have Charlene at his side-?

Due to the court protocol. Only family members are allowed to
attend, so as long as they are not married or at least engaged
there's no chance to see a girlfriend next to Prince Albert during
such a very official event. It's not that much different from other
monarchies..

I used to be entranced by Princess Caroline’s carriage. It was graceful, alluring, it made her stand out and look like what she was, a princess. The photos taken on National Day however make me ill-at ease. She has frozen her posture into something quite unattractive, as someone said, looking like “The Queen of the World”. But what other Princess or Queen in the world has adopted that stance? She looks positively Victorian, stiff, rigid, and people who don’t know her concerns or work can easily perceive her as arrogant and aloof. In the (even recent) past, she played with that posture in a beguiling way, she was sinuous, fluid, playfully flirtatious, with all of the complexity of a dancer always in motion, always expressing emotion. Now, she looks like a parody or caricature of herself : that attitude is more suitable to a general reviewing the troops, or the headmistress leading the girls of the School of the Legion of Honor on a parade(no offense to that school, which I admire). All the complexity and multifaceted aspects of the regal head are gone.

As for Princess Stephanie, I didn’t think at all that she looked like a busy clerk. On the contrary, she wore an exquisite suit, softly grey and feminine, she looked busy, involved, natural and relaxed, always oscillating between being herself (grooming her brother as she is wont to do, smiling and laughing) and acting the proper princess, looking appropriately poised and solemn. Spontaneity and maturity suit her very well.

Sorry but I can't agree to this description of Caroline. She joined in the singing at the cathedral service, and she was smiling at the window appearance. She was also impeccably dressed and turned out.

I think we Grimaldi admirers need to given them the benefit of the doubt more often!

Caroline has probably not found it exactly easy to appear at the window without her (still?) husband, and she would have been particularly aware of the public reaction and tittle-tattle about his non-appearance.

I can think of many occasions when we've seen images of Stephanie during difficult times, and many of us would have sympathised with her.

Let's extend the same forbearance and sympathy to Caroline in her present situation.

Not sure whether this has been posted before, but just a short note about the Patron Saint and his feast day on November 19th.
His original feast day was November 1st, but Rainier III changed it.

Rainier d'Arezzo was not a Saint, but bears the title "the Blessed..." - "le Bienheureux Rainier...", and he was a member of the Order of the Minor Friars.

His name in his native Italy would have been Raniero - still used as a first name in Italy.

He was noted for his humility, poverty and patience.
He was born in Arezzo and died in Borgo San Sepolcro, Umbria.

Does anyone know what the chevron type badge is on Prince Albert's right shoulder is for? I don't remember seeing this before or on Prince Rainier.

Another "National Day" event:

Monday 24th November, 19.00h
Tree planting in the Forest of Luceram near Nice, in the presence of Prince Albert II.

http://www.presse.gouv.mc/304/wwwnew.nsf/1909$/921d60b169a414a7c125763b00302993fr?OpenDocument&3Fr

Six months ago, PA had already participated in a treeplanting event in May 2009 with the children of Luceram, as a small start towards the reforestation, after more than 3000 hectares had been burnt down.
Les enfants du littoral et Albert II de Monaco se mobilisent pour la forêt - Lucéram - littoral - l'information en direct avec Nice-Matin - nicematin.com

I used to be entranced by Princess Caroline’s carriage. It was graceful, alluring, it made her stand out and look like what she was, a princess. The photos taken on National Day however make me ill-at ease. She has frozen her posture into something quite unattractive, as someone said, looking like “The Queen of the World”. But what other Princess or Queen in the world has adopted that stance? She looks positively Victorian, stiff, rigid, and people who don’t know her concerns or work can easily perceive her as arrogant and aloof. In the (even recent) past, she played with that posture in a beguiling way, she was sinuous, fluid, playfully flirtatious, with all of the complexity of a dancer always in motion, always expressing emotion. Now, she looks like a parody or caricature of herself : that attitude is more suitable to a general reviewing the troops, or the headmistress leading the girls of the School of the Legion of Honor on a parade(no offense to that school, which I admire). All the complexity and multifaceted aspects of the regal head are gone.

As for Princess Stephanie, I didn’t think at all that she looked like a busy clerk. On the contrary, she wore an exquisite suit, softly grey and feminine, she looked busy, involved, natural and relaxed, always oscillating between being herself (grooming her brother as she is wont to do, smiling and laughing) and acting the proper princess, looking appropriately poised and solemn. Spontaneity and maturity suit her very well.

As usual, iloveroyals, hits the nail on the head, IMO. Not that Caroline was not beautifully dressed, on the contrary, coat, dress, and of course the shoes were very very elegant, but.....the overall picture of her did not give me a sense of admiration or the desire to dress likewise. She looked lifeless, dried up from the inside somehow, indeed, stiff and sexless. Maybe the terrible hairdo is to blame, more appropriate for a nun.
I do not agree with you, however, iloveroyals, as far as Stephanie is concerned. Her suit was an average grey suit, but she misses the flair to give a simple suit something extra. Moreover, also terrible hair, unhappy face and posture, and cheap shoes. Not much left, unfortunately, of the Monaco glamour these days.

Prince Albert II (C) and Princess Stephanie of Monaco (R) deliver a parcel to a Monaco's resident during an annual charity ceremony on November 17, 2009 at the Red Cross headquarters in the principalty of Monaco. Prince Albert II and Princess Stephanie will attend several events before the Monaco National Day 19 November in Monaco.

*1* *2* *3* *4* *5* *6* *7* *8* *9* *10* *11* *12* *13* *14*

Belga Picture Gallery

Another Belga gallery

I love, love LOVE the long straight hair on Stephanie and the warm brown color of it. It takes years off her appearance. She looks beautiful and very happy, as she always does when interacting with her fellow Monegasques. :flowers:

Such a good cover! It says that it has large article about the 5th National Day that Albert celebrates as a Sovereing. If I find it, I'll buy it!

:thanksgiving:imho Caroline & Stephanie looked the epitome of elegante on National Day! Caroline & Stephanie would never appear dull.

:xmasbell: Quite the opposite, Caroline looks elegante (while formal) and very Naturale showing that in spite of her age their is scarce a difference between the looks of Mother & daughter and no surgery needed to enhance it.

:xmasbell: Her complexion is clear bright and quite refreshing au Naturale as with Stephanie. Sometimes, more of anything (make-up etc) is simply more and not necessary. With their exquisite complexions they must be doing something right hee:advent:

One more Belga Gallery

Nice Pic!
I think both Caroline and Stephanie are elegant and classic in this ocassion.Caroline is more sophisticated than Stephanie,and I like her outfit,white gloves,Chanel bag and nice shoes.Stephanie is elegant too here,with nice shoes and nice black gloves ,but in my opinion,she would look better with a hat,and clairer hair and dark lipstick:flowers:

It was sad to witness the Grimaldi family on National Day reduced to two sets of siblings and only two generations, with a progressive attrition of attendants on the balcony. Prince Rainier is gone, Prince Ernst is absent, and there is no fresh blood to rejuvenate this situation. Other European royal events bring together several generations, with a rich admixture of cousins, uncles, aunts, grandparents and relations from other royal lineages and you are struck by the health and promising future of those families. Such images emphasize the pared-down display of the Grimaldi celebration. By reforming certain traditions, inviting youngsters, cousins, even long-time fiancées of uncertain status, Monaco could demonstrate a much more dynamic and young image to the world. Instead of appearing to be shrinking in the public eye, it should join the other monarchies who entered the 21st century with a strong presence and display of delightful familial strength and solidarity.

Back
Top Bottom