National Day Monaco: 2006 - 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What a gorgeous family.

In a couple of photos I did a double take because Princess Charlene looks like a taller version of a young Grace Kelly.

And Sasha Casiraghi looks like his great grandfather Rainier.

Beatrice is beyond stunning, just perfect.

It was a lovely day, it looked as if everybody was in harmony with each other, and that's good.

Looking at the pictures closely, I can see how much Raphael resembles Charlotte when she was a toddler ~ same lips, nose, similar eyes ~ except the ears, also Charlotte was a blonde.

I actually think he has Charlotte's ears! In her baby and young adult photos, I've always noticed how unusually big her ears were in proportion to her face. :D

All the rest has been said, the interaction among all of them are quite lovely to see for us long-time Grimaldi watchers. I think they seem closer now than they were before, which is something quite common in families that are princely or otherwise. As people mature, their relationships often improve for the better.

Last edited:
I suspect the Grimaldis have always been a close clan. They are especially known to close ranks around one another in times of crisis or tragedy.

But I agree that the additions of all the children to their family has seemed to make them visibly happier and tightened their bond.

I love watching them all together.:)

I'm very glad many of you have the same impression of the family. I don't see a family that is cold to each other or where jealousy runs like I had to read at some comments. It seems if you don't cuddle each other all the time in public or make statements how everything is sunshine and rainbows, you have a dysfunctional family lol :)

I actually think he has Charlotte's ears! In her baby and young adult photos, I've always noticed how unusually big her ears were in proportion to her face. :D

Andrea is just the same. The large ears seem to come from Rainier, having skipped a generation in Caroline.

Well, it's only four (in fact three and a half) days left to the National Day. Do we know any time schedule of the celebrations? I suppose it will be broadcasted live on Monaco Info as usual.

Last edited:

As part of the National Day celebrations Prince Albert and Princess Charlene handed out the annual Christmas gifts at the Red Cross headquarters in Monaco today, November 17:

** belga gallery ** gettyimages gallery ** profimedia gallery **

Probably very negative of me but the thing i noticed first is how few pics there are of P.Charlene smiling (let alone laughing), i hope she's feeling alright..

Princess Charlene is very elegant

A very nice gesture of the princely couple every year

It is Charlene, She is like this, She is like Charlotte , not very smiling when she is posing. for a photo.

She seems to be going through a phase of wearing black again. I hope she wears a more cheerful colour on Sunday. No more black or navy blue please.

I don't mind the black on Princess Charlene because she always livens it up with the most dazzling shade of red lipstick. She doesn't look washed out at all, imo.

She looks very elegant - I like the sharp tailoring and contrast of the red against the black.

There are a couple of small half smiles but I too wish she would smile more broadly occasionally - she always used to. She seems to have given it up a couple of years ago.

She looks very elegant - I like the sharp tailoring and contrast of the red against the black.

There are a couple of small half smiles but I too wish she would smile more broadly occasionally - she always used to. She seems to have given it up a couple of years ago.

The Monageque royal women rarely smile, unfortunately. She's becoming more like Caroline, Stephanie and Charlotte that way. I suppose they think it's regal, but there's nothing elegant about looking bored and disengaged.

That said, you can certainly tell when any of those women are interested in the people they're talking to because the haughtiness melts away. You can see it in these photos of Charlene when she's actually handing out gifts. She doesn't always have a smile, but she's leaning in and really focusing on the people in front of her in a way that feels authentic and warm to me.

The Monageque royal women rarely smile, unfortunately. She's becoming more like Caroline, Stephanie and Charlotte that way. I suppose they think it's regal, but there's nothing elegant about looking bored and disengaged.

That said, you can certainly tell when any of those women are interested in the people they're talking to because the haughtiness melts away. You can see it in these photos of Charlene when she's actually handing out gifts. She doesn't always have a smile, but she's leaning in and really focusing on the people in front of her in a way that feels authentic and warm to me.
I disagree about Caroline and Stephanie who often smile, although not, I agree, if posing for a formal shot.

Charlotte,I would agree, rarely smiles and quite often looks as if she can smell something bad.

Hey ho! Who knows why they choose to present themselves this way...

Has the presentation to the new recipients of the Order of St. Charles taken place yet? I recall seeing this in previous years in the days leading up to National Day and it usually takes place in the throne room with Albert, Charlene, Caroline and Stephenie present.

Has the presentation to the new recipients of the Order of St. Charles taken place yet? I recall seeing this in previous years in the days leading up to National Day and it usually takes place in the throne room with Albert, Charlene, Caroline and Stephenie present.
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bbm508Ll-3n/

Looks likely was just Albert and Charlene.

I have no problem with the restraint ("not so much smiling") attitude of the princesses. I think it adds to dignity to keep a distance indeed.

I have no problem with the restraint ("not so much smiling") attitude of the princesses. I think it adds to dignity to keep a distance indeed.
Yes, because the Queen of England, who quite often smiles on official engagements, comes across as utterly undignified. So did her late mother. As did Princess Grace, not to mention Queen Sofia...

I don't think they need to go around grinning madly all the time but the occasional smile, giving the impression of enjoyment/happiness/pleasure wouldn't hurt. I notice it all the more with Charlene because she used to be very open and smiling. I don't think it's a question of dignity - I think time and experience have made her much more cautious and guarded.

:previous: I agree about Charlene.

I cannot help but suspect that her experiences in Monaco have not been all that warm and welcoming. She is not nearly as cautious and defensive as she was in the beginning but she is never going to be truly accepted in Monegasque society and she knows it. The language barrier continues to work against her, I am convinced of it.

She's come a long way however, and I think she's quite content to remain the "outsider".

I don't really have a problem with the lack of public warmth from Caroline and Charlotte and Stephanie. I have seen enough photos of them in relaxed environments to believe that they are not frigid and unhappy women. The citizens of the Principality seem to adore their princesses-smiles or not. Maybe they are channeling the spirit of Princess Grace who could also seem rather icy in public....Brigitte Bardot is alleged to have called her late Serene Highness "Madame Frigidaire" behind her back.

Last edited:
I saw the video of Monaco Channel, princess Charlene was friendly, warm with the people of Monaco, it is unfair to say that she was cold and not at ease. we can make talk photos , the photos at the end with the people say nothing , Charlene receiving with Albert the AS rugby team at the palace two days ago was not smiling , Albert and Charlene were holding their hands, it was her idea with her foundation to make this international rugby teamand she succeeds to do this.

No Moonmaiden, the people of Monaco is appreciating her and loving her and it is more strong since she gave heirs to the throne . My sister and my daughter are married with residents, they live in Monaco, my grandsons are pupils at the college Charles IIi, they are integrated in the life of Monaco, I am inviting to the family diners ( christening, anniversaries ) and I am hearing what they are talking about the princely family and it is not what you are believing to see from USA, UK, Belgium .
Charlene is called ' our princess' as they called the princess Grace and they are appreciating that she is near them, that she is doing with the children, the old persons or handicaped children , there will be a center for the education for handicaped children , it is the idea of the princess Charlene,
But they are criticing Albert for his travels, they are saying he is never here, he travels too much and sometimes these travels are not a need and they are saying happily P Charlene is present , the children would not see a lot their parents if Charlene would have followed him.
Here is a photo of a friend of my sister taken at the monegash pic nic

https://www.instagram.com/p/BYgtgshAfAH/?taken-by=lajouxa

I will post an another photos on the board of video , it shows that Charlene is very near of the people of Monaco

Citing a sentence of Brigitte Bardot is not a good thing, she was a star of the cinema during the years 50 and60 of the cinema, she is living in the jet set french city Saint Tropez , she is a french people and not a monegash people which is different and her life was tacky.

I don't think 'not so much smiling' adds to a sense of dignity. Maybe that's the reason why some people choose to do it, but it certainly does not appeal to me this way. Distance, however, yes.

I guess it's just how one's used to carry him/herself around in public. It doesn't necessarily represent their true characters.

As part of the National Day celebrations Prince Albert and Princess Charlene handed out the annual Christmas gifts at the Red Cross headquarters in Monaco today, November 17:

** belga gallery ** gettyimages gallery ** profimedia gallery **

** dailymail: They're one compassionate couple! Princess Charlene of Monaco shows off her svelte figure in fitted black gown..**

Handing out gifts at Red Cross headquarters, dressed in black, hardly smiling - or laughing - and looking like being in a funeral.

I fear I was misunderstood. All royal ladies smile but the one has a more restraint smile (Letizia, Charlène) and the other has a more joyous smile (Máxima, Camilla). Just different personalities and characters. Personally I love the more restraint attitude of Charlène, it has nothing to do with being bored or not accepted. In my view it is just because Charlène wants to keep dignity and decorum in her presence as Princesse de Monaco. Nothing wrong with that.

The black is no more a color of funeral, it is a color like the other and persons who lost a beloved one don't wear no more black cloths, in other countries, White is the color of funeral. I remember that P Diana of Wales was the first to wear black dress and gala dress.and nobody said that she was at a funeral.
I think that it is a unfair process that some persons do to Princess Charlene, It recalls me when her appearence was hardly criticed on this forum in the early years of her story. and always the same critics, when she married , she cries, when the the twins are born , it is a shame Gabriella is not the heir the presentation of the babies some persons made horrible comments on the babies, happily they were deleted by the administrator, the Red Cross gala is no more glamour we know you don't like Charlene here on the forum but she is here and you must admit it. and we are at the national day and it was not the subject to critic one charity event.

Charlene did her job with serious, these persons are old and many are poor, they don't care what Princess is wearing as cloths, it is not a gala evening but a charity event which took place two days before the fest of the prince.

Back
Top Bottom