Monaco's succession issues

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That is incorrect. Caroline's title and style as a royal highness and princess of the UK through her marriage to Prince Ernst August takes precedence over her birth status as HSH Princess de Monaco.

She is correctly addressed as "HRH Princess Caroline, Princess von Hannover". She was born a princess so she is entitled to hold it before her christian name.

The title "Hereditary Prince" is held only by a son of a regining Prince de Monaco. The name "Marquis de Baux" is held as a courtesy title as it is no longer recognized by the French Republic as being a valid name, but simply an acquisition of marriage for the Grimaldis during centuries past.

The French Republic only recognizes the sovereign titles of former rulers of France as legal. This includes the Count de Paris (Orleans), Prince/Princess Napoleon (Imperial Family) and the ducal titles of the Bourbons.

Did anyone notice that for the evening of Alberts crowning,Stephanie and her daughter were in less formal clothes than everyone else but that she and her daughter had purposely worn the state colours of Monaco,namely red and white.So she was celebrating as well but she had an added little touch to her outfit,a special theme if you will.Sometimes I just feel sorry for her because she seems so tragically lost and sad,Caroline has had saddness as well but seems to find her footing in the end.

Who's to succeed Albert ?

So what do you think?
Should it be one of his sisters boys? Or the girls? Or one of the sisters themselves? Or maybe the whole topic is already solved because Albert will have own children who can succeed.

In Monaco some monégasques pointed out that they would like Louis to succeed because he's still very young and therefor has the most of time to learn ( like Albert did himself from his childhood on) and he lives in Monaco so he spends a lot of time with his uncle to have a look over his shoulder to see how it works...

It will be nice if Louis becomes heir to the throne, but for avoiding more family problems, I think it is better if Albert has his own children.

Well as Grace said the succession-line is fixed but Albert would be able to change it or to select one of his nephews if ever he feels like it would be appropriate to do so. So if he feels Pierre or Louis or Andrea seems very well fit into that role and if they are willing to do so (learning for it, expressing the whish to work for the country, to guide it into the next century - and if Albert sees they are following this aim) then he might change the mind.

Louis spends the most time with him and he is still very young to learn Albert may have taught him some things about running monaco .But i think Albert will have his own child with the Grimaldi name insteed of having to adopt and change their last names.

I would also love to see Louis on the throne but I do think Albert will either have his own legitamte children or Andrea will take his place. I think Caroline will renounce the throne in favour of Andrea if Albert has no legit children of his own. I see some lovely qualities in Louis.

lashinka2002 said:
I would also love to see Louis on the throne but I do think Albert will either have his own legitamte children or Andrea will take his place. I think Caroline will renounce the throne in favour of Andrea if Albert has no legit children of his own. I see some lovely qualities in Louis.

I see these qualities as well. But I think it's still to early to say what Louis will be doing in the future. Some part of me also wants to see him assuming an important role in Monaco. I'm sure he'll also accompaign his uncle in official functions ( I mean in more than in the loges at soccer matches) when he gets older. Can't wait to see him in black tie :p:)

lashinka2002 said:

Or she will be a ruler for a smoetime and after that she will renounce the throne for Andrea.

i know this is morbid but what if the bird flu hits Europe like Sars did in Asia and the bubonic plague did in the middle ages? That where most of todays royalty descended from and commoners , illegillimate children ascended to the throne. Perhaps just as unlikely as Alexandre is alive he might one day Have to take over the throne just like Alberts grandmother was legitimized. I dont think Albert will ever marry. I think he only likes black women so in the social situation he is in he might as well be gay.

I'm voting for Pierre C. Prince Albert has brought him front and center for the time being.
Could this be the start of a process to groom Pierre for a future bigger role in Monaco?

queenofthenile said:
i know this is morbid but what if the bird flu hits Europe like Sars did in Asia and the bubonic plague did in the middle ages? That where most of todays royalty descended from and commoners , illegillimate children ascended to the throne. Perhaps just as unlikely as Alexandre is alive he might one day Have to take over the throne just like Alberts grandmother was legitimized. I dont think Albert will ever marry. I think he only likes black women so in the social situation he is in he might as well be gay.
Alexandre can't become the Reigning Prince unless Albert marries Nicole and there is currently no way around it. Even if Albert were to adopt Alex he still can't.

RADKER18 was talking about in adopting but it was written out of the Constitution. Depending on how it is written its possible that Caroline and her children wouldn't have to change their last name to Grimaldi which would give Monaco a new ruling house.

I don't think that Albert has any interest in getting married and producing a legitimate heir. I favor Prince Pierre. He just seems the best choice. Caroline seems to be a more balanced person than her sister, and I think that one of her sons would be the better choice.

I think of of Caroline's sons would be the best choice. Maybe Louis will turn out to be somebody more geared for the position but he is fairly young and don't think Stephanie would want that for her son.

Albert is 47 in good health, just took over after years of waiting may I ask why are we discussing who his replacement will be? I don't think he is going to abdicate anytime soon in favor of his sister or one of her children.

Stanwix said:
I'm voting for Pierre C. Prince Albert has brought him front and center for the time being.
Could this be the start of a process to groom Pierre for a future bigger role in Monaco?

I agree. It does raise the question if he is preparing him for a bigger role, like you said.

magnik said:
Or she will be a ruler for a smoetime and after that she will renounce the throne for Andrea.

I was thinking if this option as well.
Caroline may rule and guide Andrea until he is well enough educated, more mature & wiser to the ways if ruling and then renounce the throne. Either way I certainly think that she will guide him along whether or not she rules.

I certainly agree with Lady Mac Alpine. I think we should let Albert reigns and these matter is prematurate.

I wish one or both of the Cashiraghi sons would go to business school. Monaco needs an MBA Prince at the helm.

Heir To the Grimaldi Throne?

If Prince Albert does not produce a heir to suceed him, that would mean Andrea Casiraghi will acend to the throne of Monaco right?

If that is the case, will Andrea Casiraghi automatically adopt the Grimaldi surname?

Just curious.

M|L said:
If Prince Albert does not produce a heir to suceed him, that would mean Andrea Casiraghi will acend to the throne of Monaco right?

If that is the case, will Andrea Casiraghi automatically adopt the Grimaldi surname?

Just curious.

well, Caroline will come before Andrea. but she may choose to abdicate in his favor.

Paula** said:
So He will adopt the Grimaldi surname?

well nothing has been anounced but that would seem very likely as the house of Grimaldi has been in Monaco for centuries.

I heard that Caroline renounced to the throne in Andrea's behalf and because of that Rainier changed the constitution to allow Andrea to be the ruler of Monaco, but I don't remember where I heard it

if you look at the Grimaldis history, you will see that they wouldn't be called Grimaldi anymore, but instead Polignac-Matignon, which is their heritage. Rainiers father was a Polignac who married Princess charlotte who had been illigitimate but later been recognized. If my info is correct, her husband was adopted by Louis so he could legally take the name Grimaldi, similar to what the Wasas in Sweden did with Marshall Bernadotte.

So he would probably take his mothers maiden name. But Albert isn't dead yet and might still produce an heir or heiress. ;)

crisiñaki said:
I heard that Caroline renounced to the throne in Andrea's behalf and because of that Rainier changed the constitution to allow Andrea to be the ruler of Monaco, but I don't remember where I heard it
she can not renounce sth that isn't hers. She is the heiress and has received the title of Marquise de Baux which is traditionally held by the heir to the Monegasque throne. She can only renouce after PA dies.

paca said:
So he would probably take his mothers maiden name. But Albert isn't dead yet and might still produce an heir or heiress. ;)

Of course..He can even have a child in his '70s, and ensuring the Monaco's throne:p :) ..But untill little Grimaldi boy/girl comes, I think this story "who can become new ruler if.." will be open for discussion again and again and again..:rolleyes:

paca said:
she can not renounce sth that isn't hers. She is the heiress and has received the title of Marquise de Baux which is traditionally held by the heir to the Monegasque throne. She can only renouce after PA dies.

Ok, thanks for the info:)

Jang said:
I think it's time for Andrea

Why? What has Andrea done to earn the throne? PA just started his reign. You couldn't possibly be grading on job performance; even the fickle American public gives its leaders at least 100 days to a year as a "honeymoon phase."

Back
Top Bottom