International homage to H.S.H. Princess Grace of Monaco

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ianna

Royal Highness
City
My little corner of the world
Country
Croatia

In the year of the 25th anniversary of Her passing, the Consulate General of Monaco and the Monaco Government Tourist Office, in association with the Princely Government, will present a special tribute exhibit to Princess Grace to pay homage to Her tremendous influence on the Principality and Her legacy of glamour and altruism.

Preview of events that will be held in USA;

Starting in January...

Spring preview of events

Fall events

A Tribute Exibit to Princess Grace Of Monaco at Sotheby's in October 2007

Major event in principality;

The Grace Kelly Years (Grimaldi Forum Monaco / July 13-September 9, 2007)
For the first time, the Principality will stage an exhibition of international scope in homage to H.S.H. Princess Grace of Monaco, to mark the 25th anniversary of Her passing. In close collaboration with the Prince's Palace, which will make available personal items not previously displayed in public, this tribute will retrace the various facets of Her life; from Grace Kelly, Hollywood star, to Princess of Monaco, devoted supporter of the Principality which adopted and loved her from the moment she set foot there in 1956.

To read and inform more about this extraordinary events, click here!

Thanks a lot for the information. It's great to see these kinds of events to mark the 25th anniversary of her dead. It's really nice they're doing this.

That's indeed very interesting, thanks a lot for telling us, Ianna!
I would love to see those exhibitions myself, there'll surely be a lot of great findings to look at. And I hope we'll see Albert, Caroline and Steph at some of the events!

wish they would do somthing in the Uk !!

It would be nice if someone from the family was in Chicago. I will try to make at least one of the events.

Thanks Ianna for the information hope some of the kids and grandkids go to see .

You're all most welcome!:flowers: I agree, it would be great to see family at least at some of those events! I hope that opening of "The Grace Kelly Years" exibition in Monaco will be made in presence of whole family.:)

For those interested in Chichago's exibition..

Treasures of the Titans (January 26—June 3, 2007) presents jewelry and accessories created by some of the finest jewelers in the world, including Tiffany and Co., Van Cleef & Arpels, Cartier, Fabergé, and Bulgari. The exhibition features more than 30 exquisitely crafted accessories designed for or owned by 20th-century icons from the realms of art, politics, entertainment, and industry...

More about it at the Field Museum official website

Article from "The Courier News" announcing the event..click here

If someone can manage to see the exibition or any other mentioned event, hope it would share her/his thoughts with us!:)

I am so exited. It says there will be an event in Miami. I am so going to drive down to whatever it may be. Kudos to whomever came up with such great way to honor the princess.

One interesting article more..:flowers:

"Princess Grace of Monaco was a Scorpio.

She was so intrigued by her astrological sign that she frequently celebrated it. When she turned 40, she held a birthday bash for herself and a gathering of other Scorpios. The princess also commissioned jewelry to reflect her interest in celestial bodies, said Maguy Maccario-Doyle, director of the Monaco government tourism office..." Treasures of The Titans article (Daily Southtown)

That's great they would honor Princess Grace she was a remarkable woman with kindess, warmth ,heart , beauty and she had a beautiful smile what a exciting events we are going to see happened. Thanks for the info!

new member who loves Princess Grace

"In the year of the 25th anniversary of Her passing, the Consulate General of Monaco and the Monaco Government Tourist Office, in association with the Princely Government, will present a special tribute exhibit to Princess Grace to pay homage to Her tremendous influence on the Principality and Her legacy of glamour and altruism."

:heart: This is my first post here and I want to thank Ianna for this great info. I only wish I could attend just one of these events!

darasmom said:
:heart: This is my first post here and I want to thank Ianna for this great info. I only wish I could attend just one of these events!

You're welcome, darasmom!:flowers: And welcome on board! Wish you great time here!:)

Royalty in Chicago?

I've always been interested in meeting people interested in royalty, particularly Monagasque...does anyone know of any groups in Chicago?

Cine Retrospective

Personally I feel the tribute to Princess Grace is being done in a hackneyed manner. A a cine retrospective of all her16 or so films would have emphasized the original medium which later catapulted her to the position of Princess. I find it highly unusual that her films have never played in Monaco from start to finish not even once. Instead of having people come in to look at her tiara and gowns I think her films reviewed would have given us an the opportunity to see her in reel as opposed to real life. And that would have been a refreshing change.JMO

Jaya said:
Personally I feel the tribute to Princess Grace is being done in a hackneyed manner. A a cine retrospective of all her16 or so films would have emphasized the original medium which later catapulted her to the position of Princess. I find it highly unusual that her films have never played in Monaco from start to finish not even once. Instead of having people come in to look at her tiara and gowns I think her films reviewed would have given us an the opportunity to see her in reel as opposed to real life. And that would have been a refreshing change.JMO
Agree--Renier was always opposed to showing her movies in the tiny nation, and he was the ruler, so his decisions were law. Perhaps Albert feels the same way as his father..:sad:

As outsiders it may seem like a good idea to promote or celebrate Grace Kelly films in the Principality, but I'm sure that Prince Rainier had good reason not to do so. I think perhaps he knew that doing so would only make her transition to Princess more difficult than it was. Being an actress was not looked upon highly at that time. I'm not sure if the feeling is the same today, and I think only those that are a part of that society would know that. So I have to assume that Prince Albert feels the same way, or that he wishes her to be remembered as Princess Grace in the Principality and not Grace Kelly the actress. Maybe he is honoring his father's wishes in that respect.

Jaya said:

I think it is time to have a film retrospective of her work. No wonder there are so many misconceptions about her acting. I think it will give a fuller picture of who she was and if possible to have some of the costumes from her films on display as well - that's always fun to see with blow up photos of her wearing it in the film behind the costume. Rainier wasn't wrong at the time they married because actresses were looked upon as no more then **** but that image is no longer true today and they should now show the films. I think it would add a lot but that's JMO

Commemorative book with indexes

hibou,
I think your idea is fabulous.
I was expecting at least a commemorative book on her films with a commentary by each of the members of the Princely Family.There really has not been a tribute since Princess Caroline edited Paris Vogue in 1983 and dedicated much brilliantly to her mother. I am certain such a book would have climbed the best seller list. Then an in depth
indexing of all her costumes from the movies; from the designers right down to the shoemaker replete with all Hollywood details. I think some of the costume designs could have been copied for the Franklin Mint in Pattern form and a limited edition sold to the public for a hefty price proceeds going to the PGF. This applies to some of the jewels that Princess Grace wore.[cairngorm included-my favourite] They too could have been copied in limited editions as high costume jewellery and would have been sold out before their completion.
The public still has a voracious appetite for the aesthetic sensibilty of classic Princess Grace.What a great way to raise funds for her foundation.
But I am bewildered as to why her films have never played in Monaco.After all it is 2007.The youth of today would benefit greatly from reviewing her films;we could re-evaluate why the Princess still holds us much by inspiration more than half a century later from her adieu from celluloid; never mind all the high profile guests who could have been invited to such an event. I am hopeful this might happen in the future. I have sinking feeling Princess Grace is laughing from wherever that her tiara is being shipped hither and yon for display as a tribute to her memory.Albeit a sufficient and a bit superficial tribute but not outstanding or original enough to pay either empirical or dialectical homage to the Princess who earned our abiding respect as a para-signifier from movies to humanities..JMO

Last edited:
Is there going to be any event in Los Angeles area?

I remember when she wanted to get back to the cinema and the people of monaco were against that. So I guess Rainier too was against it. Grace the actress is honored only outside Monaco.

princess olga said:
Agree--Renier was always opposed to showing her movies in the tiny nation, and he was the ruler, so his decisions were law. Perhaps Albert feels the same way as his father..:sad:

Albert was at a tribute to her film High Society in Newport RI last year. He also said in an interview that it was his favorite film that she did. I dunno, though, it's strange they don't seem to focus on that aspect of her life, though.

wonder if they will do anything in london on her this year ???

BurberryBrit said:
Albert was at a tribute to her film High Society in Newport RI last year. He also said in an interview that it was his favorite film that she did. I dunno, though, it's strange they don't seem to focus on that aspect of her life, though.

I always liked High Society too. It was a fun film.. I thought I had read once that Albert liked Rear Window best. Oh well, I really liked all of her films. My favorite was always To Catch a Thief because you have the added bonus of looking a Cary Grant for a couple of hours.:wub:

libra65 said:
I always liked High Society too. It was a fun film.. I thought I had read once that Albert liked Rear Window best. Oh well, I really liked all of her films. My favorite was always To Catch a Thief because you have the added bonus of looking a Cary Grant for a couple of hours.:wub:

I loved to Catch a Thief too. My daughter saw if for the first time and loved it! It would be nice to do a much bigger exhibition of her clothes and costumes with blow ups from the films behind them. And then a weekend of showing nothing but her films and have it travel much more than this exhibition has. I think it would be very popular. JMO

hibou said:
I loved to Catch a Thief too. My daughter saw if for the first time and loved it! It would be nice to do a much bigger exhibition of her clothes and costumes with blow ups from the films behind them. And then a weekend of showing nothing but her films and have it travel much more than this exhibition has. I think it would be very popular. JMO

Hibou, you gave me an idea. :idea: I just e-mailed Turner Classic Movies to suggest they run several of Grace Kelly's films on the 25th anniversary of her death. I don't know if they like such suggestions but I made it anyway. I also tried to do the same over at American Movie Classics, but they only take comments by snail mail. However, I did find out that To Catch a Thief is going to be shown at 3:45 on Mother's Day (5/11). I guess they are giving Cary Grant to Mom. WOW what a gift.:w00t:

Back
Top Bottom