The Grimaldi Ancestors

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Genealogy for James Hamilton, 1st Lord Hamilton second marriage to Mary Stewart, Princess of Scotland daughter of James II Stewart, King of Scotland.

a) Thorold, Seigneur de Pont-Audemer no other information.
b) Thorold's son, Humphrey de Vielles, Seigneur de Vielles et Pont-Audemer married Aubreye
c) Roger de Beaumont, Seigneur de Portaudemer family 2. Adeline de Meulan daughter of Waleran II de Meulan, Comte de Meulan and he gained the title of Comte de Meulan. No other info available.

d) Robert de Meulan, 1st Earl of Leicester married Elizabeth de Vermandois daughter of Hugh de Crepi, Comte de Vermandois et de Valois and Aelis de Vermandois.
d) Hugh de Crepi son of Henri I, Roi de France, Henri I, Roi de France son of Robert II, Roi de France married to Constance d'Arles.
d) Hugh de Crepi married Anne of Kiev.
d) Anne of Kiev daughter of Jarislaus I, Grand Duke of Kiev and Ingegarde of Sweden.
d) Ingegarde of Sweden was the daughter of Olof Skotkonung, King of Sweden.

e) Robert de Beaumont, 2nd Earl of Leicster married Amicia de Montfort, daughter of Raoul de Montfort, Signeur de Montfort.
f) Robert, 3rd Earl of Leicester married Pernel Grandmesnil.
g) Sir William de Hamilton married Ann Lumsden
h) Sir Gilbert Hamilton married Isabelle Randolph
i) Sir Walter Hamilton married Isabelle Ross
j) Sir David Hamilton married Margaret Leslie
k) Sir David Hamilton married Janet Keith
l) Sir John Hamilton, 4th of Cadzow married Janet Douglas daughter of Sir James Douglas and Egidia Stewart.
m) Sir James Hamilton, 5th of Cadzow married Janet Livingston daughter of Sir Alexander Livingston and Janet Dundas.
139. James Hamilton, 1st Lord Hamilton second marriage to Mary Stewart, Princess of Scotland daughter of James II Stewart, King of Scotland.

Princess Diania's mother Lady Cynthia Elinor Beatrix Hamilton also decends from James Hamilton, 1st Lord Hamilton married to Mary Stewart, Princess of Scotland. Making Prince William and Harry related to the Grimaldis thru both parents.

Last edited:
Princess Diania's mother Lady Cynthia Elinor Beatrix Hamilton also decends from James Hamilton, 1st Lord Hamilton married to Mary Stewart, Princess of Scotland. Making Prince William and Harry related to the Grimaldis thru both parents.
I was tired and made an error it was her grandmother not mother I forgot the grand part.

Last edited:
Pomeline

I read that the Pomeline in Charlotte Casiraghi's full name came from a Grimaldi ancestor.
Does anyone know to who this Princess Pomeline was married?

Actually Pomelline lived during the 15th century. She was Genoese nobility but was married off to Jean I, Lord of Monaco.
There isn't much material about her but here's a little something from Worldwide Guide to Women in Leadership:

1457-58 Regent Dowager Dame Pomelline Fregoso of Monaco
Took over the regency for her granddaughter, Claudine, after the death of her son Catalan Grimaldi di Monaco, Signore de Monaco et Menton (1454-57). Her husband, Jean I, who had initially ruled with his two brothers, were taken prisoner of the Duke of Milano who threatened to kill him if Monaco was not released to his power, but her tough and courageous attitude was catalyst to his release. Her daughter-in-law, Blance del Caretto, died in 1458. Born as Pomellina Campo Fregoso to a noble Genoese family, she lived (1387/88-1468).

Also, she was the daughter of Pietro Fregoso, sometime Doge of Genoa.
Variations of the name: Pomelina, Pomeline, Pomellina, Pomelline

According to JDA's Family Tree and Ancient Genealogical Allegations, she's HRH Albert II's 17-great grandmother and Grand Duke Henri's 17-great grandmother as well...

Last edited:
I just read that Italian writer/journalist Oriana Fallaci was the descendant of a Grimaldi of noble stock who was a diplomat at the Spanish Court. Any clue if she was also related to the Monegasque family?

I just read that Italian writer/journalist Oriana Fallaci was the descendant of a Grimaldi of noble stock who was a diplomat at the Spanish Court. Any clue if she was also related to the Monegasque family?

Do you know the name of this Grimaldi? Perhaps it is possible to find more informations of this Fallaci's ancestor.

Do you know the name of this Grimaldi? Perhaps it is possible to find more informations of this Fallaci's ancestor.

Unfortunately the article doesn't mention the name of that Grimaldi, apart from the fact that he was a diplomat from Genua, and that he disowned his daughter, who became Oriana's ancestor. I'm afraid we shall read the book in order to learn more.

Hi, I'm new, but have browsed the forums for some time. I'm looking for threads on Princess Antoinette and her children and grandchildren, especially Melanie de Lusignan, her granddaughter, who seems to be turning into a real star, but seems neglected in the Monaco forums.

In a recent interview PA mentioned having Mexican ancestors, however he didn't tell more about them. Is there anyone here who knows more about those Mexican ancestors of the Grimaldi family? Thanks!:flowers:

Actually, his grandmother, Dona Susana de la Torre y Mier, was a descendant of Mexican nobility, including the De la Torre and Mier Almendaro families... Much of these Mexican families married into other noble houses throughout America and Europe. A book, "Historia Genealógica de las Familias más Antiguas de México" (Genealogical History of the Oldest Families of Mexico), shows somewhat of a history of these families; from those with noble Aztec/Indian blood to those of European extraction, and all in between. About his Mexican ancestors racial extraction, I'm not quite sure, but it's safe to say many familes had some Amerindian ancestry.

His ancestors were indeed Mexican and not just "Spaniards born in Mexico" as a previous message stated.:flowers:

Rainier's father was half French-half Mexican wasn't he? I am also reminded of the cameo that Prince Albert had in the movie about the US-Mexico War "One Man's Hero". Seems like he used his grandpa's name (Kelly -it was about the Irish battalion in the Mexican army) and the captain made a comment to him about there being "no royals" and they served a republic etc. Rather funny if anyone realized the guy being spoken to actually was a prince himself.

Rainier's father was half French-half Mexican wasn't he? I am also reminded of the cameo that Prince Albert had in the movie about the US-Mexico War "One Man's Hero". Seems like he used his grandpa's name (Kelly -it was about the Irish battalion in the Mexican army) and the captain made a comment to him about there being "no royals" and they served a republic etc. Rather funny if anyone realized the guy being spoken to actually was a prince himself.
I have that movie and wondered how many of the actors and crew began laughing.

A three new photo's of Albert I. 2, 3

I'm sure that had to be put in deliberately just have a bit of fun with him because it really wasn't the best line. If I remember right the captain (Tom Berenger) just asked if anyone had any prior military service and he spoke up and said he had served with the Queen's artillery and then the captain says something like, 'well, there's no royals around here now, we are in the service of a republic' none of which, I am sure, any of those soldiers needed to be reminded up. I'm sure it was put in just as a way to poke a little fun at the prince on the set.

Nice photos of Albert I. I wish I knew more about his character. I heard that his experiences in war turned him into an avowed pacifist by 1914 and that he really did all he could to try to end the war or lessen the suffering. Yet, I've also read that he was rather autocratic and gruff at home and didn't have good relationships with those closest to him.

I'm sure that had to be put in deliberately just have a bit of fun with him because it really wasn't the best line. If I remember right the captain (Tom Berenger) just asked if anyone had any prior military service and he spoke up and said he had served with the Queen's artillery and then the captain says something like, 'well, there's no royals around here now, we are in the service of a republic' none of which, I am sure, any of those soldiers needed to be reminded up. I'm sure it was put in just as a way to poke a little fun at the prince on the set.

Nice photos of Albert I. I wish I knew more about his character. I heard that his experiences in war turned him into an avowed pacifist by 1914 and that he really did all he could to try to end the war or lessen the suffering. Yet, I've also read that he was rather autocratic and gruff at home and didn't have good relationships with those closest to him.
Thanks, I have more photos around of Albert I but I'll have to search for them and be sure they haven't been posted before.

Some time back in 2005 or 2006 I think I made a post in Albert's picture thread with all the photos I found from it and believe I posted what was said as well. When I get a chance I'll check my photobucket account and see if I can get an idea of when and let you know where they are.

I guess I saw someone asking about Princess Grace and Princess Charlotte's relation. I read Grace - The secrets lifes of a princess and the author, James Spada says that Charlotte didn't like Grace, being away from Monaco because of her (Don't know if she already lived in Paris when they got married but now she didn't put more her feet in Monaco). However Grace was close to her father-in-law Prince Pierre and she got very sad after his death, but we can't say the same for Princess Charlotte.

HSH Prince Louis I

Louis I may not have been one of the most "hands-on" sovereigns of Monaco but he was certainly one of the most interesting, accomplished and stylish. Louis was born in Monaco on July 25, 1642 to Prince Hercules and Princess Aurelia Spinola of Monaco but the greatest influence on his life was his grandfather and predecessor the Sovereign Prince Honore II. Since 1524 Monaco had been a protectorate of the Kingdom of Spain but that had begun to change during the reign of Prince Honore II who was a zealous Francophile. After building up the principality Honore II drove out the Spanish and made Monaco a protectorate of France in return for which he was awarded titles in the French nobility. As part of his campaign of goodwill toward France Honore II sent his grandson Louis to represent him at the lavish court of the French king where he proved to be quite popular. In 1660 Prince Louis married Catherine-Charlotte de Gramont, daughter of Antoine III de Gramont, who was a Marshal of France.

Prince Louis was an accomplished soldier who fought for King Louis XIV in his wars against England and Spain. Louis had the unique position at the French court of being both the representative of a foreign power, the Principality of Monaco, as well as a member of the French nobility as the second Duke of Valentinois. In 1662 Honore II died and his grandson succeeded him as Sovereign Prince Louis I but he spent most of his time in France, usually in Paris or at the court of King Louis XIV at Versailles. Another reason for his good graces with Louis XIV was probably the attractiveness of his wife Princess Catherine-Charlotte who, for a few months, joined the ranks of the many mistresses of Louis XIV before he moved on to the favors of the famous Madame de Montespan. Prince Louis I, himself not exactly a chaste man, prudently made himself scarce during these periods, going off to war for Louis XIV.

Although he may have been popular in France, Louis I of Monaco was not such a big hit in Great Britain which he visited in 1677. King Charles II was outraged by the way Louis I showered gifts on Hortense Mancini, one of the many mistresses of Charles II. He later fought against England in the War of the United Provinces and earned further favor with Louis XIV for his bold leadership on the battlefields of Flanders and Franche-Comte at the head of his regiment the Monaco Cavalry. Personal tragedy struck in 1678 when Princess Catherine-Charlotte died at the age of 39. She had, however, given Louis I six children; two sons and four daughters so the Monegasque succession was quite sure for the time being. In any event, Louis XIV was so impressed by the distinguished service of Prince Louis I of Monaco that he decided to name him as his official ambassador to the Holy See. It was a very reasonable move since Louis I's Grimaldi family ties in Genoa and across Italy would serve him well while in Rome.

It was in Rome at the papal court that Louis I could have made his greatest impact on history as he was chosen for the important assignment with the intention of representing the interests of Louis XIV in the critical issue of the Spanish succession. It was Louis I of Monaco who tried to bring about an agreement between the two bitter sides of what would prove to be a very costly war. Typically for a Monegasque prince though, when not engaged in diplomatic work, Louis I was well known for his stylish entertaining and lavish lifestyle. Unfortunately for his successors he went rather too far and was soon forced to sell off the awesome art collection of Honore II to pay his debts. He spent his family into the poor house to the point that Monaco was virtually bankrupt and, unfortunately, Louis I died before the issue of the Spanish succession could be settled on January 3, 1701. Had he succeeded in arranging an international agreement on Spain to the favor of King Louis XIV he almost certainly would have earned great rewards for himself. As it was, he left the Monegasque throne to his son Prince Antoine with nothing but empty pockets and a reputation for grand parties and military glory.

I found new links to the Grimaldis from Kenneth I of Scotland (aka Cináed I, king of Scotland +859) while working on my own geneology. Ancestors up to Albert II. It will go along with two other posts I've made. 1, 2, You can see the connection through both of Rainier's parents.

Prince Albert I and Lady Mary Victoria Hamilton.

On 21 September 1869 at the Château de Marchais (which is still in the possession of the Grimaldi family today) in Champagne, Prince Albert was married to Lady Mary Hamilton (1850-1922), of Lanarkshire, Scotland, a daughter of the 11th Duke of Hamilton and his royal wife, Princess Marie of Baden. The couple met for the first time in August 1869 at a ball hosted by the emperor and empress of France and their marriage had been arranged by Albert's grandmother Caroline.

Caroline had tried to make a marital match between Albert and Princess Mary Adelaide of Cambridge, the first cousin of Queen Victoria and future mother of Britain’s Queen Mary, but to no avail. The failure did not dissuade Caroline from her goal and it was to this end that she sought the help of the French Emperor Napoléon III (Louis-Napoléon Bonaparte) and his wife, Empress Eugénie.

The emperor managed to convince Caroline that Queen Victoria was unlikely to allow one of her family members to marry a Grimaldi, but suggested Mary, his third cousin and sister of his good friend the 12th Duke of Hamilton, as a suitable alternative. As the daughter of a Scottish duke, Mary may not have been royalty, but her family was sufficiently rich, well connected, and was connected to the French Imperial family through her maternal grandmother Stéphanie de Beauharnais, second cousin of Emperor Napoleon III's mother and Emperor Napoleon I's adopted daughter. [1]

Within a year of their marriage, the couple's only child, Louis was born, but the strong-willed 19-year-old Scots Mary disliked Monaco and everything about it. Shortly thereafter, she left Monaco permanently and the marriage was annulled in 28 July 1880 although a special provision was made by the Vatican that allowed for their son Louis to remain legitimate. That same year, the former Princess of Monaco married in Florence, Italy, as her second husband, a Hungarian nobleman, Tassilo, Prince Festetics von Tolna, 1850-1933. They had a daughter, Maria, who would become the paternal grandmother of the fashion designer Egon von Fürstenberg and his sister Ira von Fürstenberg, a European B-movie actress who would later become a companion of her cousin Rainier III of Monaco.

Lady Mary Victoria Hamilton

Louis II, Louis and Pierre, Louis II and family

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the Louis II pics, there's a couple there I had never seen before. Is that the British guy that started the Boy Scouts in the second one? The first time I read about Lady Hamilton and all her complaints about Monaco it started me wondering what the country was like back then. She made it sound downright primitive. Reminded me of the Princess Royal Victoria after she married the Crown Prince of Prussia complaining that there was more goldplate in Birmingham than in the whole of Germany :lol:.

:monacostandard: :monacoflag:

Thanks for the Louis II pics, there's a couple there I had never seen before. Is that the British guy that started the Boy Scouts in the second one? The first time I read about Lady Hamilton and all her complaints about Monaco it started me wondering what the country was like back then. She made it sound downright primitive. Reminded me of the Princess Royal Victoria after she married the Crown Prince of Prussia complaining that there was more goldplate in Birmingham than in the whole of Germany :lol:.
You're welcome. It's Pierre de Polignac, Prince Rainiers father.

Yes, I'm sorry, I knew that, I should have said the last photo.

Yes, I'm sorry, I knew that, I should have said the last photo.
Hehe if I had looked at the second photo I would have known that was who you meant. I can't answer your question and I'm not sure where I found the photo off the top. Maybe it'll come back and I can answer it for you without saying I think it was him.

Prince Louis de Polignac

Question: How is he related to the Grimaldis ( I think he passed away, I am not sure ) How did he get the title of Prince? Polignanc's was Rainiers father's surname, correct?

You are right, Louis of Polignac was Prince Rainier III's father, he passed away in 1964.

He was titled "Prince" when he married Charlotte Grimaldi, Monaco's heiress, in 1920, although he already belonged to one of the most ancient noble families in France. But the Grimaldi's surname was kept (and not Polignac). Charlotte and Pierre separated in 1930 and divorced 3 years later.

Source:
Prince Pierre, Duke of Valentinois - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

No, Pierre was Rainiers father not Louis. I read some books where Prince Louis Polignac was referred upon. I was just curious of the families relations.

Back
Top Bottom