General information and questions about Monaco and the Princely Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There is something else I would like to know.

Will Princess Alexandra be able to inheret any of her father's wealth when he passes away or does evertything go her older brother on her father's side. How does that work?
Probably have to wait until he dies to be sure. His family has assets in several countries including Germany, Austria and the UK. There are probably family trusts to preserve their heritage as well, although his sons not that long ago had a sale of some items from one of the castles. Not sure if German or Austrian laws are like France in that a % of the estate must go to your children. Can't imagine any reason why he would not make adequate provision for Alexandra though.

The point, lost somewhere in this discussion, is that he was not required under the RMA to ask for permission to marry. That he did so is not in dispute. It is however a tradition in his family to continue to ask for permission, unlike other German families such as Leiningen, Saxe Coburg Gotha, Hohenlohe Langenberg, Prussia etc all of whom also have places in the line of succession to the throne in UK.

Anyway....back to Monaco and those always interesting Grimaldis....

I think the Royal Marriages Act pertains to male line descendants of British kings/queens and he is one. When the Act came into law, the British kings was the ruler of Hannover as well, thus the Act is valid for Britain and for Hannover's Royal family, as it was not abolished in Hannover before the country was annexed by Prussia. Thus for the Royal Family of Hannover the Act still exists and asks for the permission of the British souverain.

His title was not recognized by the state it is just a part of his surname

You're right. According to http://www.protokoll-inland.de/Shar...meines/Anschriften.pdf?__blob=publicationFile - a basic information from the Bundesministerium des Inneren about the usage of styles in Germany, these styles do not exist anymore and are not used. Foreign titles and styles like "Majesty" or "Royal Highness" on the other hand are recognized if the holder of such a style visits the Federal Republic of Germany in an official function.

But in reality very often theses old styles are still in use on occassions when the former Royal or noble is the guest of honour or the patron on an official occassion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since some of you have already visited Monaco and I'm going to be there at the end of september I want to ask you if you have any tips for me where I could possibly see Albert or Charlene (bars, cafe's, restaurants, the beach or nearby places).
Are there any cafe's, bars or restaurants you could recommend to eat or just enjoy a cup of coffee?

Here's today's slideshow of the "Carabiniers du Prince Albert II" - they must be bringing them out for the tourists.....

Diaporama | Dans les coulisses avec les carabiniers du Prince Albert II | Monaco: dans les coulisses avec les carabiniers du Prince Albert II | Nice-Matin

... and also another, related, article on the same subject: http://www.monacomatin.mc/article/monaco/au-coeur-des-missions-du-corps-des-carabiniers-du-prince

AS Monaco FC is part of UEFA.

A few days ago, the new European Foootball Yearbook was launched in........ MONACO !!

European Football Yearbook launched in Monaco ? UEFA.com

Christiane Stahl is leaving her job at the Palace where she was in charge of communication.
She wrote a biography of the Prince, and she was involved with the marriage preparations.
She wishes to go back to live in Paris.
She was also close to the former President Jacques Chirac which means she won't have to worry about her professional future !

http://www.lexpress.fr/styles/minut...n-d-albert-de-monaco-demissionne_1025913.html

Le Figaro - Mon Figaro : Monaco*: un départ sur le Rocher

Christiane Stahl is leaving her job at the Palace where she was in charge of communication.
She wrote a biography of the Prince, and she was involved with the marriage preparations.
She wishes to go back to live in Paris.
She was also close to the former President Jacques Chirac which means she won't have to worry about her professional future !

La conseillère en communication d'Albert de Monaco démissionne - L'EXPRESS

Le Figaro - Mon Figaro : Monaco*: un départ sur le Rocher

Very interesting, in the light of recent press surrounding the Royal couple was she pushed or did she choose to leave I wonder.

The Théâtre Princesse-Grace has unveiled its 2011-2012 season - and its thirtieth anniversary !!

No less than twenty-three shows are on the programme, but the theatre will have to tighten its belt, just like everybody.

Normally, the Monte-Carlo Magic Stars would have opened the season, but not this year.... but Oscar Wilde's "An Ideal Husband" opens on the first of October.

Does anyone know if the Princesses have Ladies in waiting?
I haven't seen any Lady around Charlene. And what about Caroline or Stephanie?

Not sure whether any of you follow "Visit Monaco" on facebook ?

Under the Patronage of the Prince, the world's most prestigious and innovative watchmakers will be taking part in a ONLY WATCH Auction in Monaco, to benefit research on Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy.

Leaving Facebook... | Facebook

Date: September 22nd, 2011.

If I recall correctly, Virginia Gallico was born Virginia Curtis-Bennet, daughter of Sir Noel Curtis-Bennet (member of the International Olympic Committee for Great Britain from 1933 to 1950). She married firstly to Baron Eduard Alexandrovich von Falz-Fein, vice president of Liechtenstein Olympic Committee for some years, and also sponsor of the research on the identification of the Romanov family remains.
After divorcing from Falz-Fein, she married as his fourth wife to writer Paul Gallico and moved to Monaco, where she still lives.

Thank you guys for the info.
But do you also know if Grace's daughters or Charlene have a Lady in waiting?

I think Princess Caroline continued to have Virginia Gallico as her lady in waiting.

If I recall correctly, Virginia Gallico was born Virginia Curtis-Bennet, daughter of Sir Noel Curtis-Bennet (member of the International Olympic Committee for Great Britain from 1933 to 1950). She married firstly to Baron Eduard Alexandrovich von Falz-Fein, vice president of Liechtenstein Olympic Committee for some years, and also sponsor of the research on the identification of the Romanov family remains.
After divorcing from Falz-Fein, she married as his fourth wife to writer Paul Gallico and moved to Monaco, where she still lives.

Correct. To add some info:
Her marriage to Baron Eduard produced a daughter who was a dancer in London for many years, Ludmila. Ludmila married in 1979, and moved to Monaco, giving up her dancing career.{Source} Her second husband Paul died in 1973. I believe Virginia and the Baron divorced in 1962, 'cause she married Paul on 19 June 1963.

Virginia is still working at the palace as Lady in waiting, she's listed as Dame d'Honneur on the french version of the site and as Lady-in waiting on the English verison. I believe she started working at the palace around the late 1970s, around the time when her daughter married and moved to Monaco in 1979. Virginia can often be seen at MND, behind the family when they are downstairs thanking the cabiners for their service (See here, the woman directly behind Caroline. you can barely see her.).

She is also one of Princess Alexandra's godmothers (Alexandra for her paternal aunt, Charlotte for her half-sister, Ulrike for a family friend (or was that for a former German nanny?), Maryam for a good friend of Caro's and EAs, and Virginia for Virginia Gallico.)

Last edited:
Wow, you know quite a bit of this subject! :flowers:

Wow, you know quite a bit of this subject! :flowers:

Thanks. I'm working on an article on the Ladies-in-waiting to royals for a friends (CasiraghiTrio, Nathalie Cox) and my online blog on royal families and happen to come across that info the other day.
royalfanzine.blogspot.com

I understand that Albert had a new pool constructed on palace ground.

Are you sure it wasn't at Le Roc Angel? I know he had new tennis courts put up at Le Roc Angel a year or so ago.
There are three pools in Monaco that are frequented by the Princely family:
1. The Beach Club pool
2. The Palace pool
3. Stade Nautique Prince Rainier III (the one that celebrated it's 50th anniversary fairly recently.)

There are three pools in Monaco that are frequented by the Princely family:
1. The Beach Club pool
2. The Palace pool
3. Stade Nautique Prince Rainier III (the one that celebrated it's 50th anniversary fairly recently.)
So this means if Princess Charlene wants to swim she has the pool all to herself because it's closed for the Princely family?

So this means if Princess Charlene wants to swim she has the pool all to herself because it's closed for the Princely family?

There has always been a pool in the grounds of the palace and of course this pool is not open to the public.

There has always been a pool in the grounds of the palace and of course this pool is not open to the public.

Thanks for the info. I didn't know there was a pool inside the palace.
But I guess every good palace has a pool inside :lol:

Thanks for the info. I didn't know there was a pool inside the palace.
But I guess every good palace has a pool inside :lol:

Its not an indoor pool, it is in the private grounds.

The palace pool is in the back yard and was there when Prince Albert was a child. There is a video of him jumping into the pool as a teenager and one of Andrea when he was about 2 years old.

If I had known this Show was coming up we would have gone sooner to Monaco :bang: That would have been sooo interesting :ermm:

The Monaco Yacht Show starts today.

More than 100 superyachts on show, from today until Saturday.

Le Yacht Show ouvre ses pontons ce mercredi en principauté | monacomatin.com

The organisers will be giving 50 percent of all entry fees to the Monaco Association against the Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy.

According to MONACO TODAY, the big boat this year is Stephen Stielbergs:
Spielberg’s big boat one star of the show

The 86-metre Seven Seas is expected to be close to the Monaco Yacht Show over the next few days, reminding those who see her that Steven Spielberg is never far away. Needless to say, the boat comes with its own cinema and a 250 square metre ballroom. There are also four guest suites and two VIP suites, not to mention the owner’s own sumptuous quarters. The Seven Seas is powered by two 4,680hp/3,492 kW MTU engines can reach speeds of up to 20 knots.

Not sure where to ask this but I will be in the south of france beyween the 2nd and 7 of oct. How would I find out if the royal family are making any public appearences during that time?

Not sure where to ask this but I will be in the south of france beyween the 2nd and 7 of oct. How would I find out if the royal family are making any public appearences during that time?

Your best bet is to look at the sites which list Monaco events - I think the Golden Foot awards must be sometime around then- Albert attends this and it is easy to spectate outside the Grimaldi centre (where the footballers plant their feet in concrete!) If you buy the Nice Matin or listen to Riviera Radio you occasionally get details of up & coming appearances:flowers:

Back
Top Bottom