Funeral of Prince Rainier: April 15, 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And more photos:

Attachments

• 00413267.jpg
    00413267.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 986
  • MONACO_RAINIER_FUNERAL_M_10.jpg
    MONACO_RAINIER_FUNERAL_M_10.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 1,606
  • MONACO_RAINIER_FUNERAL_MO_8.jpg
    MONACO_RAINIER_FUNERAL_MO_8.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 1,428
  • MONACO_RAINIER_FUNERAL_MO_9.jpg
    MONACO_RAINIER_FUNERAL_MO_9.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 1,303
  • MONACO-RAINIER-PEOPLE-FUN_8.jpg
    MONACO-RAINIER-PEOPLE-FUN_8.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 894
Thank you Dennis and HMQEII for giving us the photos so quickly.

Today between noon and one o'clock, the traditional "serafimerringning" (church bells toll of the Seraphim) for Prince Rainier took place in the Riddarholmen Church in Stockholm, as always happens when a Knight or Member of the Order of the Seraphim is buried. In connection with the bells toll, his orden coat of arms was mounted in the church alongside the other decead knights and members of the Order of the Seraphim. Prince Rainier was made a Knight of the Order of the Seraphim in 1949.

Picture of Prince Rainier's Order of the Seraphim coat of arms:

Attachments

• Rainiers serafimersköld.jpg
    Rainiers serafimersköld.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 663
monaco70s said:
Andrea, Charlotte, Pierre, Ernst Jr., Christian, and Melanie lit the candles. Largerfeld is there too.

Who is Melanie and lagerfeld. Where was Pauline, Camille and Alexandra?

Thanks for the pics .... Some 1 now the mining of the dog?

betina said:
Who is Melanie and lagerfeld. Where was Pauline, Camille and Alexandra?

When they say Lagerfeld they are probably refering to Karl Lagerfeld who is head designer for Chanel and a family friend.

Can someone tell me who is the guy behind Charlotte (next to Ernst Jr.) in this photo from the funeral?

Thanks

Collette

Au revoir Rainier!

Thanks to those who posted the newest pics and to
those who gave their live comments!

I was able to see two hours of the mess on live-coverage,
and it was so hard to see the family in such pain..Caroline
and Albert crying and Stéphanie always trying so hard not
to cry untill she couldn't hold her tears back anymore...

It was, and still is, such a sad day, I can imagine lots of
you, like me, have watched it crying as well..

I wish the family lots of strengh to go through this!

oh my gosh, i cant stand even looking at the pictures... i wish soooo much that i could have gone... if it was a week later or earlier i could have been there... but if i would have gone i probably would have had a break down... i am in hannover, there are newspapers and magazines about caroline and ernst everywhere...
poor caroline this funeral probably brought back all the horrible memories of her mother and stefanos deaths... this is heartbreaking

Mystery Guy in Procession

Collette said:
[url="http://cache.gettyimages.com/thumb/52633725.jpg?x=x&a=52633725&b=afp&t=1"]http://cache.gettyimages.com/thumb/52633725.jpg?x=x&a=52633725&b=afp&t=1[/url]

Can someone tell me who is the guy behind Charlotte (next to Ernst Jr.) in this photo from the funeral?

Thanks

Collette
[url="http://cache.gettyimages.com/thumb/52633725.jpg?x=x&a=52633725&b=afp&t=1"]http://cache.gettyimages.com/thumb/52633725.jpg?x=x&a=52633725&b=afp&t=1[/url]

Pic - who is the guy behind Charlotte in the funeral procession? Thanks much, Collette.

This is a very sad day.So sad for all our country - all of us.
It is so hard to see our two Princesses crying. I watched the ceremony on one of the screens in the curch of St. Devote. The moment Stephanie couldn't hold back her tears anymore I started to cry like a little boy.
I was very very moved by the young ones lighting the candels. Andrea, Charlotte, Pierre, Mélanie, Ernst Jr. and Christian have been very sweet in doing this.
We also cry with the four little ones who were not present at this ceremony because they are still so young - Louis, Pauline, Camille and Alexandra.
These four little ones will for sure be present this evening in the very private, personal and intimate procession for the last very Goodbye to Rainier - from all the family.

Encore un grand Adieu à notre grand Patron

I just checked th eprincely site and it said that a retransmission will be available on 16 April.

I'm assuming that because Stephanie's children and Alexandra are still considered to be too young to be at the funeral of their grandfather, especially one where the whole world will be watching. They will probably join the rest of the family at the private ceremony when Rainier is buried next to Grace.

It looked like such a solemn ceremony, Caroline and Stephanie (known in the past for their differences) united in grief. I especially thought that the gesture of bringing the late Prince's dog, Odin (whom he recieved as a gift during the 50th year of his reign) to the ceremony itself, to pay his own last respects to his master was a beautiful one.

Maybe it´s not the right moment to criticse, but I also couldn´t understand, why the children were missing. I can understand, that Alexandra and Camille didn´t attend. They wouldn´t understand. But Louis will become 13 this year. So he´s almost a teenager and not a little boy anymore. I would have prefered, when he would have lit a candle instead of one of Ernst August´s sons. But of course I could understand, when he was afraid to attend or something like that.

Lena said:
Maybe it´s not the right moment to criticse, but I also couldn´t understand, why the children were missing. I can understand, that Alexandra and Camille didn´t attend. They wouldn´t understand. But Louis will become 13 this year. So he´s almost a teenager and not a little boy anymore. I would have prefered, when he would have lit a candle instead of one of Ernst August´s sons. But of course I could understand, when he was afraid to attend or something like that.

Actually I was 13 when my grandfather died and I did not attend his funeral, my parents had only allowed my younger siblings and I to attend his actual burial, where it was just his wife, children and grandchildren who attended.

In a sense, I think it's because my parents wanted to protect me, the funeral was attended by many people who knew my grandfather, whether it was personally or those who knew him as an acquaintance. They probably understood that my younger cousins and I were in a fragile state at the loss of our grandfather and would not have been able to handle the constant stares or words of condolences from people we did not know very well. This was probably why I could relate to the fact that Louis was not present at the funeral. After all it is already hard enough for adults as it is.

As for the presence of Ernst August, I thought that it was wonderful that they were present, whether they were close to Rainier or not. They are after Caroline's step-children and part of her family, and are old enough to handle the situation they were placed in.

Prince Rainier's dog, Odin, attending the funeral of his passed master. A very nice and touching gesture.

And this is the Lagerfeld, Karl Lagerfeld, the designer, who attended the funeral today.

Attachments

• rainierhund.jpg
    rainierhund.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 729
  • rainierlagerfeld.jpg
    rainierlagerfeld.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 615
Funeral of Prince Rainier

post of pictures yet?

Sara Boyce

There have been many pictures posted on one of the other threads.

great. could you please post them in the other thread? where a collection of photographs and articles from the funeral of the prince have already been posted? HSH Prince Rainier has died! <- that's the thread. It's getting a bit troublesome to move back and forth threads.

Does anyone know of any magazines that had special coverage of Ranier/Monaco these last few days, especially in the US? I haven't been to the bookstore in awhile, but I wanted to pick one up.

I was very disappointed that CNN only did smalll tidbits about the funeral. So thanks to everyone for postig the play by play, pictures, and links to video clips of the funeral.

Rainier's dog in the procession was a great idea and poignant. The pictures looks very sad. Caroline looked so tired, sorrowful, and sad. From the pics it looks like she took it very hard and couldn't control her tears. Albert, Steph, Charlotte, ect. all looked very sad though. The funeral from the pictures looked sad, beautiful, dignified, and touching. I hope that Larry King, ect. will show more about the funeral.

I have not seen any US magazines covering Rainier's death, ect. At least not yet.

but CNN didnt show in late morning but im little disappointment!

Sara Boyce

A photo I found I would like to share.

Albert and Stephanie holding hands

AP935592_guest.jpg.jpg

Another moving picture.

Stephanie's last goodbye flowers. Alberts' and Carolines' were there as well, next to the coffin.

Attachments

• 338927.jpeg
    338927.jpeg
    151.3 KB · Views: 542
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom