Engagement of Prince Rainier & Grace Kelly

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I believe that Princess Stephanie wore the dress to a ball, possibly the Rose Ball or a Red Cross Ball, at some point while Grace was alive. She looked beautiful in the photograph that I remember. Does anyone know the picture that I am referring to?
The Gown that Steph wore to the last Ball the Grimaldis were all ever seen was a white strapless Dior and had an empire waist with a littel bow in the middle of the bust. IT had no connection to Grace's betrothal gown.

Here are a few photos: Grace spending her last two days before leaving her homeland and an engagement time (1956).:)

http://i35.tinypic.com/afhkcj.jpg
http://i35.tinypic.com/14o0g3o.jpg
I like these specially,in the first one,she is so happy with her parents at Constitution ship,in her trip to Monaco,unforgettable moment!
In the second one,she is specially gorgeous with the beautiful pink hat,what perfect face with what perfect hat!:rose2:This is one of my favourite pics of Grace.

Originally Posted by lraitelli
[/QUOTE] I believe that Princess Stephanie wore the dress to a ball, possibly the Rose Ball or a Red Cross Ball, at some point while Grace was alive. She looked beautiful in the photograph that I remember. Does anyone know the picture that I am referring to? .[/QUOTE]

The Gown that Steph wore to the last Ball the Grimaldis were all ever seen was a white strapless Dior and had an empire waist with a littel bow in the middle of the bust. IT had no connection to Grace's betrothal gown.

I read somewhere that it WAS Grace's betrothal ball gown, shortened and maybe a bit altered, for Stephanie. She wore it to the Red Cross Ball in August of 1982, her first one. I don't remember where I read that about the gown, though. But I wouldn't be surprised, Grace and both her daughters are built almost exactly alike.

The engagement gown and the Dior

I recall reading, as Jaya stated, that Stephanie's dress at the 1982 Red Cross Ball was indeed Grace's and a Dior. Grace's gown at the engagement ball in New York was actually designed by Helen Rose at the time of "The Swan" and was an engagement gift from Grace's film studio (along with the rest of her wardrobe from that movie.) I swear there is a picture from Grace's early years in Monaco of her wearing the Dior dress in Christian DeMassey's book "Palace". She is shown with Christian's mother Princess Antoinette and is holding a fur and her horn-rimmed glasses. Perhaps someone will scan it. Anyway, no, I don't think they are the same dress, but the Dior was originally Grace's, as well.

I recall reading, as Jaya stated, that Stephanie's dress at the 1982 Red Cross Ball was indeed Grace's and a Dior. Grace's gown at the engagement ball in New York was actually designed by Helen Rose at the time of "The Swan" and was an engagement gift from Grace's film studio (along with the rest of her wardrobe from that movie.) I swear there is a picture from Grace's early years in Monaco of her wearing the Dior dress in Christian DeMassey's book "Palace". She is shown with Christian's mother Princess Antoinette and is holding a fur and her horn-rimmed glasses. Perhaps someone will scan it. Anyway, no, I don't think they are the same dress, but the Dior was originally Grace's, as well.

Here you go!: http://i39.tinypic.com/35akknk.jpg

^Is it the same? At least the model is. If it was the same, that means Stephanie at that age was the same size as Grace?
Nah, it has to be another dress, but the same model.

The white gown w/ the lilies pinned to the bodice worn at the Waldorf engagement ball in New York was Dior, not Helen Rose. I've read that in several publications including this latest excerpt from Vanity Fair (obviously the pictured gown is not the one we're talking about but it does confirm the latter was Dior)
The Eternal Style of Grace Kelly | Features | Vanity Fair
The ball gown screams New Look, while if you look at Rose's designs (Grace's wedding gown, civil ceremony dress, costumes from "The Swan" and "High Society") are all very romantic and old-fashioned, lots of lace and floral patterns.

The white gown w/ the lilies pinned to the bodice worn at the Waldorf engagement ball in New York was Dior, not Helen Rose. I've read that in several publications including this latest excerpt from Vanity Fair (obviously the pictured gown is not the one we're talking about but it does confirm the latter was Dior)
The Eternal Style of Grace Kelly | Features | Vanity Fair
The ball gown screams New Look, while if you look at Rose's designs (Grace's wedding gown, civil ceremony dress, costumes from "The Swan" and "High Society") are all very romantic and old-fashioned, lots of lace and floral patterns.

Thank you for the correction, EmpressRouge. I obviously misremembered what I read. I've read most of Grace's biographies, but I can still jumble information on occasion...sorry:doh:.

This past weekend I visited the Cartier and America exhibition at the Legion of Honor in San Francisco and they had Grace Kelly's engagement ring on display. Very plain but large diamond.

Grace's diamond solitaire

Plain?:ermm: Celeste Holm, Grace's co-star in High Society, said the diamond was amazing; like a prism that flashed color. It certainly must have been more beautiful when Grace was actually wearing it.;)

Grace and Stephanie's shared dress

FINALLY! I found the picture I was talking about! Credit and thanks to Flickr user Music2MyEars.

http://i44.tinypic.com/25quibc.jpg

Isn't this the same dress Stephanie wore to the Red Cross Ball in 1982?

FINALLY! I found the picture I was talking about! Credit and thanks to Flickr user Music2MyEars.

http://i44.tinypic.com/25quibc.jpg

Isn't this the same dress Stephanie wore to the Red Cross Ball in 1982?
Yes thank you very much this is the dress.It is a Dior- late fifties haute couture.Steph got into it in 82 for the Red Cross Ball.I think the lady next to Grace is wearing Lanvin.

Yes thank you very much this is the dress.It is a Dior- late fifties haute couture.Steph got into it in 82 for the Red Cross Ball.I think the lady next to Grace is wearing Lanvin.

That lady is Princess Antionette:flowers:

I've had this picture a while now but I just noticed that Grace's dress here is also the dress she wore to her engagement ball at the Waldorf-Astoria. I always thought that the Waldorf dress was designed by Helen Rose, was a gift from the studio at the time of her engagement, and the ball was the first time time she'd worn it publicly. But EmpressRouge corrected me in an earlier post that it was a Dior not a Rose design.

When was this picture taken? Was she engaged to Prince Rainier yet?
http://i46.tinypic.com/2vlaa8g.jpg

For comparison, here she is at the Waldorf-Astoria ball in January 1956.
http://i46.tinypic.com/2gyazib.jpg

Reactions: MFH
MGM studios gave Grace the costumes designed by Helen Rose which were worn in High Society as part of her trousseau. The gown in your pictures is by Dior, but there are pictures of Grace wearing what appears to be the identical gown in 1955 at a ball held in the mansion The Breakers, Newport Rhode Island. Your first picture was also taken in 1955 - Grace is accepting an award from the Junior Chamber of Commerce in Philadelphia.

Reactions: MFH
Thanks, Elly C! Do you have any pictures from the Rhode Island ball? Please post them if you can.

In honor of the 55th anniversary of the wedding of Prince Rainier and Grace Kelly, Life magazine has compiled a gallery of Grace during the engagement period and wedding, including some previously unseen photographs of her wedding preparations. Love the ones showing her frazzled from shopping and packing.
Rare, Unseen: Grace Kelly's Wedding - Photo Gallery - LIFE

:previous: wow some wonderful shots - thank you for posting. Easy to see why Grace is still top of the polls when it comes to Royal brides

Thanks for the pics, my favorite is the one of Grace and her mother, close up, side profile. My Gosh I didn't realize they looked so much alike, so that's where she got her looks, directly from her mother! :) The mother-daughter resemblance reminds me of Caroline & Charlotte, whom are look alikes as well. :cool:

PG's father was very handsome as well. President Franklin Roosevelt said that he was the most handsome man he had ever seen.

FanofMonaco, your post had me searching for a pic of Mr. Kelly Sr., and this is what I found: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Dc819sDLTsM/Skn1EvvfXbI/AAAAAAAAAGk/zQjl9d7CGN4/s320/Johnbkellysr.jpg

Ahhh, what a fox! :cool: Not only a 3-time Olympic Gold Medalist in Rowing, but in looks as well. :D

Still, I maintain that Grace looks the most like her mother, look alikes:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3582/3510069312_b4486f539b_o.jpg

That whole Grimaldi, Kelly, Casiraghi trio was just loaded with genetically enhanced good looks. And now add that Wittstock gene to it, and I can only envision what Albert and Charlene's children will look like! WOW! I still say they will rival the Casiraghi Trio, mark my words. :cool:

It willl be funny if they have all blonde haired, blue eyed kids in a Mediterranean country.

Lol, I know. :D Not only strange, but a bit worrisome imho. And the reason why I say that is because the royal family should represent the people they rule over, and that includes blood most of all. Therefore, I sincerely hope that Albert & Charlene's heir will marry one of the Monesgaque people in order to bring that blood back in the fold and truly represent the country of which they serve. Jmho.

Back on track, Rainier & Grace made the loveliest couple, just looking at the pics it's obvious...ahhh....:flowers:

Prince Rainier appeared to be very charming from the few videos I have seen of him.He also always had a fatherly look to him. I can see why he was very popular with his people.

Lol, I know. :D Not only strange, but a bit worrisome imho. And the reason why I say that is because the royal family should represent the people they rule over, and that includes blood most of all. Therefore, I sincerely hope that Albert & Charlene's heir will marry one of the Monesgaque people in order to bring that blood back in the fold and truly represent the country of which they serve. Jmho.
Nice thought, but hard to do. Monaco is only about 20% Monegasque. The population is mostly French and Italian and of course, nowadays, people from all over the world taking advantage of its tax policies.

Back
Top Bottom