A Monaco Retrospective - Christmas at the Palace

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Julia

Royal Highness
Here the late Princess Grace rushes to finish her Christmas present wrapping in her bedroom in the palace.

ALL PHOTOS BY HOWELL CONANT

Here a cheerful Prince Rainier carries two santas across the palace courtyard.

Caroline kisses the santa while Stephanie hugs the same and Albert practices his boxing skills on the other!

Princess Grace always insisted that the family decorate a tree for their living quarters in the palace and great fun was had by all. Here Albert helps his mother with the golden garland.

Here Princess Grace and Princess Stephanie share some holiday fun together.

The final result.

Princess Grace always threw a Christmas party for Monaco's orphans. They enjoyed a holiday movie, sweets and finally were given presents which the princess spent weeks choosing and preparing the presentation. It was one of her favorite ways to give during the holidays. The tradition still continues today.

Here Princesses Grace and Caroline and Princes Rainier and Albert hand out gifts to Monegasque orphans.

Princess Grace and Prince Albert listen to a young girl thanking the princely family for their generosity.

Prince Albert hands out gifts to the orphans.

And finally, many happy youngesters leave the enchanted palace with their Christmas gifts. The glorious large Christmas tree in the Prince's courtyard can be seen in the background.

Attachments

• ChristmasInMonaco11.jpg
    ChristmasInMonaco11.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 2,167
  • ChristmasInMonaco4.jpg
    ChristmasInMonaco4.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 1,428
  • ChristmasInMonaco3.jpg
    ChristmasInMonaco3.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 1,423
  • ChristmasInMonaco6.jpg
    ChristmasInMonaco6.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 1,581
  • ChristmasInMonaco5.jpg
    ChristmasInMonaco5.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 1,690
  • ChristmasInMonaco2.jpg
    ChristmasInMonaco2.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 802
  • ChristmasInMonaco.jpg
    ChristmasInMonaco.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 1,477
  • ChristmasInMonaco8.jpg
    ChristmasInMonaco8.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 1,544
  • ChristmasInMonaco9.jpg
    ChristmasInMonaco9.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 787
  • ChristmasInMonaco7.jpg
    ChristmasInMonaco7.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 1,592
Very nice pictures, Julia. I especially like the ones with the blown up Santas! How cute!

And the Grimaldi's tree was absolutely huge! And it's nice that the family decorated the tree together, rather than just having it brought in all decorated by palace workers.

Great job Julia! IMO Howell Conant's book is one of the best out there about the Grimaldi family because it shows great candid and official photos that he took of Grace and her family.

It would be very nice if this year Caroline joined Prince Rainier, Princess Stephanie, and Prince Albert giving up the presents in the palace like she did with her children back in 1998.

Monaco70s

Originally posted by Julia@Dec 3rd, 2003 - 12:39 am
Princess Grace always insisted that the family decorate a tree for their living quarters in the palace and great fun was had by all.
It's too bad Princess Grace had to "insist". Was there Christmas spirit by any of the rest of the family?

In the fifth picture down, where Grace is having fun with Stephanie in front of the Christmas tree, Grace is wearing glasses. I never realized how attractive Grace looks in her glasses. They're very nice frames. I wonder where I can get a pair like that?!

Christmas at the Palace

It won't be long till it's Christmas time again, so I'll try to bring a little Christmas feeling in here :) I'd like to dedicate this thread to the annual distribution of gifts at the palace. Hope you like it and that you will join in :)

1999:
i6kobp.jpg
i6koi0.jpg
i6knzc.jpg

(HOLA)

1998:
i6koox.jpg
i6kqo3.jpg
i6kp04.jpg

i6kqqv.jpg
i6kr36.jpg

i6krbk.jpg
i6krjb.jpg

(Point de Vue, HOLA)

Last edited:
Very cute idea, ice ...we'll keep that going...promised :)

Great thread with great photos, Iceflower!:) Some of them are "new" to me!;) I'll join you!

Young family giving presents in 1961 (I think)..(TopFoto)
i6l2x3.jpg

Giving presents in 1967..(Keystone)
i6l6ok.jpg

Christmas 1968..and receiving some too:p (Aci)
i6l769.jpg

Princess Grace and cutie Stephanie giving presents 1974..(Polfoto)
i6l99v.jpg

Christmas 1975..(Farabolafoto)
i6l9u8.jpg

I'm glad you like it, Michelle and Ianna, and thanks for adding those nice pics! :)

I guess there are a lot of pics from the last years in the current-events-threads, so here are only a few from 2004 and 2003:
i70wnk.jpg
i70wog.jpg
i70wpe.jpg

i70whi.jpg
i70wif.jpg
i70wm1.jpg

(das neue)

And some older ones:
1972 - Polfoto
i70wtf.jpg

1981 and 1982 (Steph still has her bandage from the accident..) - Lecturas
i70ww6.jpg
i70x08.jpg

Hey I didn't know they were doing the presnts-for-kids-thing even in 1982 ...specially Steph ... brave girl...

This is such a great topic! I really enjoy the pictures of Prince Rainier as he gives gifts to the children. You can tell he loves the children--just look at his eyes!

how sweet do they give out presents to children every year?

lady_windsor said:
how sweet do they give out presents to children every year?
Yes there are several partys. One is for the children of palace employees(takes place at the palace), then there is one for Monegasques and residents who are signed up with the social services from the city hall and then, if I remember correctly, there is also presents handed out in the creche of the red cross in Fontvielle.

That's what I thought as well, Michelle...And teense, I'm glad you like it too :)

Pics from 1970, 1973 - Paris Match and 1975, 1976 - Gettyimages

i77ew8.jpg
i77f44.jpg

i77fb6.jpg
i77gx2.jpg

great photos. thanks so much for posting them.
I wish more royal families had traditions like this.

I read an article in which Albert talked about that distribution of gifts to the children, he said: "Seeing the happiness of all those children is one of my greatest joys" (Paris Match 1998) So sweet :)

Some more pics from Corbis 1992 and 1993:

i77hwx.jpg
i77i2d.jpg

i77i9v.jpg
i77igy.jpg

i77imf.jpg
i77iqa.jpg

budge9 said:
Does anybody know when they are doing it this year? Thanks!
I think next wednesday afternoon, but I'm not 100% sure. I read it in the paper a while ago, but I could confuse it with the date in the city hall. But I'm fairly sure it all takes place sometime next week, since the school holidays are starting on Friday 16th, so they will have to do it before.

Right, it will be some time next week...

...here are some earlier photos of children comig to the Palace...and the princely family:

i795j5.jpg
i795l5.jpg
i795pw.jpg
i795rq.jpg
i795w5.jpg

(mcpress, sipa, profimedia)

Stephanie and Albert giving presents to children at the Creche de Fontvielle....2004

i79caf.jpg
i79clt.jpg
i79csg.jpg
i79cwh.jpg
i79d38.jpg

(sipa)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom