Your Opinions about Mabel

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Prince Friso was, until his engagement with miss Mabel Wisse Smit, working and living in London. After his marriage he remained in London, obviously liking the city.

He worked as vice-president investing banking at Goldman Sachs & Co.

Prince Friso probably belongs to the best and brightest of all Princes around, with two total different academic degrees (in Economics and in Aeronautical Engineering). After his universitary studies he went to Fontainebleau (near Paris) to follow another study at the prestigious Institut Européen d’Administration des Affaires (INSEAD).

He is seen as the House banker to the Orange-Nassau fortune and his opinions are influential inside the royal family.

Since 2004 the Prince is director of TNO Space Technologies in Delft. An high tech research institute on space and aeronautica, working for ESA and NASA.

Was he no Prince, he would have been:
The highborn lord drs. ir. J.F.C.B.D. count van Oranje-Nassau van Amsberg M.B.A.
and undoubtedly also have had a bright career in science or economics, like now.

Last edited:
Look I am sure Mabel is a nice person and I am sure she loves her husband to bits (that was never an issue if you ask me) and it is great for her that she has a very succesfull career at a very high level. But the thing is both of them should have known better and should at least have informed the Queen. They obviously trusted no one. Both have been living, working in the international arena and have ample knowledge of A. what happens when the Media smells blood and B. that the truth always comes out in one way or the other, sooner or later. They themselves called it naivity - which is bull... It was a calculated risk and they should have said so. That would have been appreciated and at least it would have been honest.

Friso and Mabel obviously hoped that the outside world (the press, the secret service you name it) would never find out about her fling with a local maffia boss and they choose to keep it quiet knowing very well what would happen if it was ever picked up by the Media. Again it was a calculated risk. But I don't feel sorry for them one bit if you don't mind. Friso never cared about royal duties anyway and he certainly did not try to hide it. Although his wife suggest that he's misunderstood. Yeah right. Mabel 'the activist' Wisse Smit would have caused a lot of trouble for the government and the Queen if she remained doing what she obviously loves doing AND be a part of the Royal House so I think they are actually better off and I have the feeling they think so as well..... The whole circus they could have done without I am sure but at least they are not caged and that's a big advantage if you want to fly high.

I feel a bit strange being the first person to post on this thread in over 6 years, but this seems to be the place to say what I want to say.

I have only just "met" Mabel, being introduced to her through the jewellery thread I ventured into to read more about Maxima's beautiful tiara. I was astonished by Mabel's wedding dress, but, having read a little bit about her, I think it was actually quite splendid! :D It was certainly distinctive and not one you're likely to forget. I think the design was very clever, with the smaller, more discreet, bows near her face so the portrait shots would not be marred by the craziness, with the more outlandish ones on the train. It reminded me very much of Betsy in "Betsy's Wedding", a film I love. And then I was directed to the video of her speaking on Girls not Brides. What an excellent speaker she is, and on such an important topic!

She is a very talented and interesting woman, and I am very glad I now know about her, and I am very sad for her personal tragedy.

I feel a bit strange being the first person to post on this thread in over 6 years, but this seems to be the place to say what I want to say.

I have only just "met" Mabel, being introduced to her through the jewellery thread I ventured into to read more about Maxima's beautiful tiara. I was astonished by Mabel's wedding dress, but, having read a little bit about her, I think it was actually quite splendid! :D It was certainly distinctive and not one you're likely to forget. I think the design was very clever, with the smaller, more discreet, bows near her face so the portrait shots would not be marred by the craziness, with the more outlandish ones on the train. It reminded me very much of Betsy in "Betsy's Wedding", a film I love. And then I was directed to the video of her speaking on Girls not Brides. What an excellent speaker she is, and on such an important topic!

She is a very talented and interesting woman, and I am very glad I now know about her, and I am very sad for her personal tragedy.

The white sleave and bow on her dress yesterday are from the train of her wedding dress actually,and by wearing it she felt Friso was closer,and there at the Investiture of his elder brother.I thought it very moving actually.:)

I agree, that was incredibly sad. Mabel has grown up on me so much. Thanks for reviving this thread. It's amazing that it wasn't active since 2006 especially after all that Mabel has been going through, lots of opinions have been posted on other threads but we seemed to have forgotten this one, me first... And it was me who initially created this thread.

Princess Mabel was very gracious in yesterdays events. Given of what she must have went through in the last year, it was great to see her smile. I truely hope she enjoyed her time.

Also fashionwise she did a good job (I remember many faux-pas of her in the past - especially the trousers-skirt-ensemble I think at Princess Victoria's weddding was a no-go). The black dress with the white bow appeared strange to me at the first side but knowing the story behind it know, I am very moved.

The white sleave and bow on her dress yesterday are from the train of her wedding dress actually,and by wearing it she felt Friso was closer,and there at the Investiture of his elder brother.I thought it very moving actually.:)

Wow! That's powerful! So sweet, and moving! She is such a wonderful woman who is going through so much -it's hard to put on such a brave face like she did/does. She is a survivor!

Her tragedy is a sad one, but she continues to amaze me with her poise and dedication to not only her husband, but her family and her country even while all of this is going on!

That is so moving that she used pieces of her wedding dress during this special time in honor of her loving husband who could not be there on such a happy and momentous occasion!

She has really grown on me since the beginning. She is a great lady!

Thanks for the information about Mabel's dress yesterday. My immediate thought yesterday was of the symbolism - the sober black and then the touch of white for hope maybe.
I thank goodness that Mabel is in the protective and loving heart of the Royal Family because her life and what she thought it would be has changed forever and any critisism of her should, I think, be kept to oneself as that is the right thing to do.
It is always good to see her in public and to see her smile and laugh at times.

I just found photos of Mabel in her black dress with white sleeve. When I saw it yesterday I didn't even know who she was and I just thought it was an odd outfit among a few other quite odd outfits. What powerful symbolism! A marvellous way of having her husband with her at his brother's celebration. Very moving!

Prince Friso lost one of his tittles when he married Mabel.
Mabel wears no Dutch Sash as Laurentien

Thanks for the information about Mabel's dress yesterday. My immediate thought yesterday was of the symbolism - the sober black and then the touch of white for hope maybe.

I love what you said here -never thought of it this way! Although I'm sure it is obvious to many others -the somber black/white for hope is well put. I wouldn't be surprised if that were exactly the case!

Thanks!

I saw this picture today of a vintage Dior bow blouse and thought immediately of Princess Mabel. If it could cheer her up, even in the smallest of ways, I would find a way to make it hers.

l.jpg

1980s Christian Dior Haute Couture Blouse
http://www.sieliansvintageapparel.com/

Although it's a lovely story, the white bow accented sleeve on Mabel's dress was not taken from her wedding gown, as some have posted. The dress is from Viktor and Rolf's 2013 ready-to-wear collection - specifically "look #11." The designers often use bows in their work and have stated that "the bow is very much a part of our idiom."

As explained at the Royal Order of Satorial Splendor,
"Though it was reported that the bow on her inauguration dress came from the wedding gown, it looks like that's not true - though the inspiration for the selection seems clear." See her link below for the "catwalk" version of this ready-to-wear dress.

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Runway to Royal: The Dutch Inauguration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom