Princess Mabel, Countess Luana & Countess Zaria, Current Events Part 1 (Oct 2013 - )

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Copied from the Wittelsbach topic in which Sophie-Alexandra Evekink's, the new princess Sophie of Bavaria is discussed.
Yes, Evekink, van Voorst Evekink, Busger Evekink.
A Jeanette van Voorst Evekink née Willet Holthuyzen lived in one of Amsterdam's finest mansions: https://www.amsterdammuseum.nl/locaties/huis-willet-holthuysen/2466 That is an indication of the Evekinks belonging to deftige families without being of nobility. Like Pieter van Vollenhoven, Annemarie Guáltherie van Weezel, Mabel Wisse Smit.

Are you sure Mabel Los belongs to one of the patrician (or deftige) families in the Netherlands? I assume her stepfather does but the surnames 'Los' (her father) and 'Kooman' (her mother) don't seem to indicate any high-born family background for Mabel herself.

It remains rather rare to take on your stepfather's surname -especially when he only came into your life while a teenager, so I cannot help but think that the name itself had something to do with it (next to hopefully an excellent relationship with her stepfather).

Luana van Oranje-Nassau van Amsberg seems to study at Sevenoaks in Kent. Last year she won the Itchenor sailing event (a fleet racing event featuring 72 boats from 16 schools) for Sevenoaks, together with partner Martin Etilla.

https://www.sevenoaksschool.org/new...detail&cHash=93739cdb62890da833c2d5f95d305bad

Didn't Princess Luisa Maria of Belgium also study at Sevenoaks?

N.B. Wikipedia indicates that also prince Amedeo, princess Elisabeth of Thurn und Taxis as well as Sir Timothy Laurence attended the school.

Luana also participated in an Arts exhibition in 2021.

Last edited by a moderator:
Copied from the Wittelsbach topic in which Sophie-Alexandra Evekink's, the new princess Sophie of Bavaria is discussed.

Are you sure Mabel Los belongs to one of the patrician (or deftige) families in the Netherlands? I assume her stepfather does but the surnames 'Los' (her father) and 'Kooman' (her mother) don't seem to indicate any high-born family background for Mabel herself.

It remains rather rare to take on your stepfather's surname -especially when he only came into your life while a teenager, so I cannot help but think that the name itself had something to do with it (next to hopefully an excellent relationship with her stepfather).

Yes, Wisse Smit. I did not realise Mabel has taken her stepfather's name. But the blue book indicates the Wisse Smits are "not from the street" however also patrician families can fall deep, of course.

Given that fathers now transmit membership of noble families to their adopted children, would it not be the same for a patriciate family?

Seeing as Luana and Zaria have never lived in the Netherlands and realistically may not feel any particular attachment to the country, it is a good thing in my opinion that they are not Princesses of the Netherlands or in line to be queen of the Netherlands.

Given that fathers now transmit membership of noble families to their adopted children, would it not be the same for a patriciate family?

I am not sure whether Mabel and her sister were formally adopted. The website of the royal family only states that in 1984 Mabel took up her stepfather's surname.

Mabel Los was born on 11 August 1968.
Nicoline Los was born in 1970.
Their father Hendrik Los drowned on 18 February 1978, while trying to save his neighbor who had fallen through the ice while ice skating.
Their mother Florence Los-Kooman remarried to Peter Wisse Smit (sources differ on the date).
Eveline Wisse Smit was born in 1982.
Mabel Los and Nicoline Los changed their surnames to Wisse Smit (their stepfather's surname). Mabel was 15 or 16 at that time. Nicoline was 13 or 14.

Seeing as Luana and Zaria have never lived in the Netherlands and realistically may not feel any particular attachment to the country, it is a good thing in my opinion that they are not Princesses of the Netherlands or in line to be queen of the Netherlands.

I don't think it was ever in the cards for them to be princesses of the Netherlands. Princesses of Orange-Nassau probably; however, as a few years before their parent's marriage -upon the marriage of Constantijn & Laurentien- it was decided that the children of the siblings of the heir would be 'reduced' to counts instead of princes.

Moreover, had Friso and Mabel's marriage been approved, they (later Mabel) might have made different choices later on. So, the decision to not grant them parliamentary approval might have influenced their decisions. For example, Constantijn and Laurentien returned from Belgium at the time their children were to go to secondary education. Mabel might have made a similar decision to further strengthen their bond to the Netherlands if they had been in line to the throne.

Nonetheless, it seems unlikely that they do not have any attachment to the country of their own nationality, where all of their close family members live and where their father is buried.

The Patriciate is not legally established and protected by law.

In the 19th C a publisher saw good trade in publishing all Nobility in a sort of encyclopedia, with an annual addendum, called Nederland's Adelsboek (the red book), see picture.

The same publisher saw another good trade in enlisting "respectable families" (read: families with generations of landowners, magistrates, bankers, major entrepreneurs, military officers, colonial authorities, etc.) in an equal sort of encyclopedia, with an annual addendum called Nederland's Patriciaat (the blue book), see picture.

But where the criteria for admission in the Red Book are 100% clear (one is noble or one is not noble, simple enough), these are very subjective in the Blue Book. After all who decides a family is deftig (genteel) enough to be admissed into that book?

Where Nobility is transferred via heirs of the body male, this is more fluïd in the Patricipate. That Eveline Wisse Smit belongs to the family Wisse Smit, might be clear. Her stepsisters Nicoline and Mabel Los became Wisse Smit. There is no title or predicate or bloodline needed, I think. Nicoline and Mabel are part of the family of their stepfather Peter Wisse Smit, a banker whose surname happens to be enlisted into Nederland's Patriciaat. Via that way they are part of a patrician family. Once again: a totally subjective understanding without any legal regulation or protection.

Before the Sixties, when there was still a clear division in classes, the term "He is Red Book, she is Blue Book" was widely known (meaning: he is a noble, she is from a patrician family). These days I doubt it has any importance anymore, except for Wiener Balls which are still organized here and there, where nobles and wanna-be-poshy folks hope to have the noses upwards in attempts to climb the social pyramid.

Last edited:
About the discussion of the patriciate background of Mabel: there is a 'Los' family listed among the Dutch patriciate. It seems to be last updated in 1949. Perhaps Mabel's biological father is in it as he must have been born before that year. Perhaps he belongs to a non-patriciate branch of the family or to a family that simply uses the same name. In the year 2007 there were nearly 2000 people using the last name 'Los'.
https://cbgfamilienamen.nl/nfb/deta...s&gba_naam=Los&nfd_naam=Los&operator=eq&taal=

Personally I think that had Mabel's father been a member of the patriciate this would have been discovered and shared by genealogy enthusiasts at the time of the wedding.

The posher sounding double last name Wisse Smit is not listed among the patriciate. My guess is that the family name was just Smit. Wisse is a now uncommon first name from Zeeland. Perhaps it was used in the family but was added at some point to honour family tradition and preserving it for future generations.

I had a collegue whose father did the same thing for their family; adding uncommon firstname 'Fijte' to the family name as he was afraid the name would get lost as younger generations preferred more trendy first names for their sons.

Duc_et_Pair said:
where nobles and wanna-be-poshy folks hope to have the noses upwards in attempts to climb the social pyramid.

Great description ;).

Last edited:
Yesterday evening, June 10, Princess Mabel attended the 31st edition of the Amsterdam Dinner, a charity event to raise money for the AIDS foundation:

** ppe gallery ** rex gallery **

Nicoline Wisse-Smit, sister of Princess Mabel, has died from cancer at the age of 49. She died on November 12th already but the family kept it quiet.

Nicoline leaves behind a partner Robert Jan Galema and her 23-year old daughter Lotte (from her ex-husband Hugo Crombag).

https://www.bekendeburen.nl/nieuw-drama-voor-mabel-wisse-smit

Nicoline Wisse-Smit, sister of Princess Mabel, has died from cancer at the age of 49. She died on November 12th already but the family kept it quiet.

Nicoline leaves behind a partner Robert Jan Galema and her 23-year old daughter Lotte (from her ex-husband Hugo Crombag).

https://www.bekendeburen.nl/nieuw-drama-voor-mabel-wisse-smit

Such tragic news. She seemed rather close to her sister who of course already lost her husband at a young age 10 years ago.

Princess Mabel attended the "Viktor&Rolf. Fashion Statements" Red Carpet and Preview at Kunsthalle der Hypo-Kulturstiftung in Munich, Germany, on February 21:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Such tragic news. She seemed rather close to her sister who of course already lost her husband at a young age 10 years ago.
I am just seeing this tragic news. How awful! I do remember what a great support Nicoline was for her sister.

Back
Top Bottom