Prince Friso in Critical Condition Following Skiing Accident: February 17, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They are. They are breathing for him. It is a private matter, but one wonders......

Unfortunately, with hypoxic brain injury, the longer he remains in a coma the more unlikely it is that he will ever wake up. In addition, he will begin to form clots in his organs, if he has not already.They must consider that when they decide whether to keep him on the vent. So sad.

Unfortunately, with hypoxic brain injury, the longer he remains in a coma the more unlikely it is that he will ever wake up. In addition, he will begin to form clots in his organs, if he has not already.They must consider that when they decide whether to keep him on the vent. So sad.

If there is a possibility of clots, the doctors will probably put him on a blood thinner.

Not necessarily. It depends on the what the orders are. It is, ethically, very difficult to treat a deceased person.

Unless something dramatic happens, there probably will not be any news. Even if someone is in a coma, one would have to wonder if the person has any type of awareness of what is going on around them. No one really can answer that question because it's something you can't measure and the person can't verbalize it.

Quite true, but being in a coma and being on life support are two different things. I, think, people in comcas possibley can hear things, I am not sure on life support.

Just to clearify, being on life support means that a machine, a ventilator, is breathing for you. Depending on the underlying disease, the patient can be sedated or awake. Being in a coma due to lack of oxygen to the brain, usually means that the patients cognitive function are severely impaired and the center in the brain controlling the breathing is not working sufficiently. The last thing we loose before dying is the hearing and therefore it is also believed that comatose patients can hear. This is however never proved 100%.

It sincerly hope for the sake of his family that this situation finds a solution, because this must be even worse than had he died right away.

Quite true, but being in a coma and being on life support are two different things. I, think, people in comcas possibley can hear things, I am not sure on life support.

COUNTESS said:
I think you are quite right and Mr. Snel sounds serious and reliable. Being on a respirator for many months bodes no good. Infections, failing organs, etc. I, think, they wanted to see if their was a glimmer of hope. You can't blame them. I, too, think, rehabilitation, is not a possibility, now.

Permanent brain damage is absolutely occurring at 6 minutes. He was oxygen deprived for in excess of 40 minutes, and was shocked back. Unfortunately, the longer he remains in a coma, the less likely he is to have any meaningful improvement. Look up cerebral hypoxia/anoxia. So sad for the whole family.

I really hope his health improves. Anything is possible. Unfortunately, he was deprived of oxygen for a very long time, lowering his chances of healing. I will continue to pray for recovery for him.

I really hope his health improves. Anything is possible. Unfortunately, he was deprived of oxygen for a very long time, lowering his chances of healing. I will continue to pray for recovery for him.

A very nice sentiment, but not realistic. Scooter was right on the money. A very difficult situation where there are no winners. Actually, without artificial means, he would be dead.

I knew that he was deprived of oxygen for at least 25 minutes, I had not realized that it was as long as 40. As one of his doctors noted, it was too long at 25 minutes.

Miracles do happen but this would be beyond a miracle, IMO. I don't expect any here, unfortunately. How long he and his family will be in this terrible limbo is anyone's guess.

I don't know much about these things, but I doubt he can hear. Just a guess on my part.

Good.But that won't help him,not this time I'm afraid.Too sad.
The first news we likely will hear will be what we all dread.

Just wondering if there have been any updates on the Prince's health? :ermm:

crisscross1 said:
Just wondering if there have been any updates on the Prince's health? :ermm:

No, and it's highly unlikely that there will be any. We'll only hear something if he passes away. Beyond that all anyone needs to know is that he's brain damaged and in a persistent vegetative state.

Actually, I take that back. From what we know, he's in a coma, not a vegetative state. But he's unlikely to show significant improvement and I doubt there will be any updates given.

Last edited:
A very nice sentiment, but not realistic. Scooter was right on the money. A very difficult situation where there are no winners. Actually, without artificial means, he would be dead.

It would have been more humane for all concerned, IMHO.

It would have been more humane for all concerned, IMHO.

You are so on the money, Scooter, but when I think of the chioces, I can't imagine having to make them. At this juncture it is just awful for all. Seeing Mabel in those recent photos was heart rending.

I was reading an article in the last day or so, about a young man who was building a tunnel at the beach; the sand collapsed on him and he was without oxygen for 25 minutes. He can breathe on his own, but is in a coma. They have a ventilator so that he doesn't get "clogged up". I guess we have no way of knowing if the ventilator is doing 100% of the breathing work for Prince Friso.

I also anticipate bad news every time I see the thread.

No change in the situation.
The prince is still on life supporting.
Otherwise they would have inform about it

I would,imagine, that nothing has changed. The photos at the wedding show a family "clinging" to one another, not a normal handholding situation. I hadn't realized it was 4 moths. I, personally, don't, believe, that the outcome will be positive. I, wouldn't, even guess what they should have done. In many ways, it is Karen Anne Quinlan all the way. So, who knows.

I was reading an article in the last day or so, about a young man who was building a tunnel at the beach; the sand collapsed on him and he was without oxygen for 25 minutes. He can breathe on his own, but is in a coma. They have a ventilator so that he doesn't get "clogged up".

I guess we have no way of knowing if the ventilator is doing 100% of the breathing work for Prince Friso.

It is.......!

This is such a terribly sad situation for all concerned & my heart goes out to the family.

I think it does show the good & bad of being the son of a Queen though.

The good is that the rescue team & medics fought long & hard to resuscitate Friso & he has & is no doubt receiving the very best of medical care.

The bad is that because his mother was a reigning monarch (IMO) the medics fought longer & harder than they would of for Joe Public.

I don't think is necessarily a bad thing but in this case the result is a fit healthy young man suffering (apparently) severe brain damage & in a coma with little to no chance of any kind of recovery & NO quality of life & his family has been left in some hellish kind of limbo rather than being able to grieve the loss of a loved family member after a tragic accident & eventually move on.

So so sad.

This poor family! I pray that the best will happen for all concerned. To see someone in a coma for so long and after such a terrible accident, must be almost unbearable.
May God give them strength.

Professor Pieter van Vollenhoven, husband of Princess Margriet has spoken publicly about the situation of Prince Friso:

"Only immediate family at Prince's side"

Prince Friso, who is hospitalized at the Wellington Clinic in London, only gets visits from his wife, mother and brothers. Queen Beatrix still flies every weekend to her comatose son, says Pieter van Vollenhoven to Story. Friso is in a coma since his ski-accident last February.

"It's terrible what has happened. Really awful", Van Vollenhoven explained. "It's for my sister-in-law and Mabel a major concern and the only thing we can do is wait and hope. Friso and his immediate family are constantly in our thoughts. Every day we pray for his recovery. "

According to Van Vollenhoven and his family, Friso especially benefits from rest. "That is why we do not visit him. My sons also haven't visited their cousin. At least, not that I know of. Friso is well protected by the family. Only his mother, wife and brothers come to visit and I fully understand."

Prince Friso was buried under an avalanche in Austria in February during the traditional Royal Skiing Holidays. He sustained serious head injuries and he ended up in a coma. The question is whether he will ever wake up. The prince is well taken care of at London's private Wellington Clinic since the beginning of March.

Although Van Vollenhoven will soon travel to London on a business trip, he won't visit Friso or his wife princess Mabel. "I would not bother Mabel. So far we have not yet spoken to her or visited her. She is very busy with the daily visits to her husband and taking care of their two children. The situation in which she finds herself now, is terrible. You can not imagine worse things. "

Last edited:
It is.......!

Luciën, I always read your comments with a lot of interest. You always seem to know more than others regarding this subject.
How can you be so certain about Friso's situation?
I look forward to your reply!:flowers:

Lucien is very wise in this situation. The comment that he benefits from rest seems a bit riduclous, as he is in a coma and not breathing on his own. They were at the same wedding, together, just a few days ago, you can't tell me that they didn't speak. That whole statement, was interesting.

How reliable is the original source which is quoted for this rather odd interview, Dutch magazine 'Story'...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom