Death and Funeral of Prince Friso: August 12 and 16, 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wonder if Princes William and Harry could be mentors for the 2 girls. Enjoyed reading the remembrances of the Prince's friend.

Imo this is highly unlikely... The girls have close relatives in the Netherlands, they have several godparents (royal and non-royal).
P.William and Harry are also of quite a different generation than P.Friso and his wife (and as mentioned, the english royals don't seem to mingle very much on an informal basis with the royals from the european continent...)

Sincere condolences to the Dutch RF - especially Beatrix, Mabel and their daughters. As Queen Elizabeth said after the 9/11 attacks, "Grief is the price we pay for love." Prince Friso was loved, and now his memories and the love he gave will sustain his family....may God bless them....

Very touching pix, such a tragedy ! I hope that Beatrix will continue to be present for Mabel.

A parent should never out live a child.

It is a parent's worst nightmare. Nothing worse IMO. Poor Beatrix. I saw a clip earlier today from Prince Claus's funeral, Friso was sitting next to her, and he moved his arm, grasped her hand and comforted her. God, the poor woman.

At least she has his children to remember him by....when she see's them she will see him.

At least she has his children to remember him by....when she see's them she will see him.

That is very true, but at the same time it would remind her of the child that is not there. I am totally NOT disregarding your comment or criticizing you - you have made an excellent point!!:flowers:

At some point-it depends on the person-you have to come to some kind of closure-thru religion, from your family or whatever gets you through the day. Or grief will eat up inside. beatrix still has a loving family and they can lean on each other and that is a huge balm to her.

Last edited:
I think Friso served God's purpose by bringing Mabel and the kids closer to Beatrix, something that might not have otherwise happened.

The funeral of Prince Friso will take place on friday afternoon August 16th at Lage Vuursche.After a service in the Stulpchurch the Prince will be interred at the cemetery
there.A private moment.

A Memorial service for HRH Prince Friso will be held later this year.

Lage Vuursche also is the village where his mother has her own private residence of Drakensteyn Castle.She will be close to her son in the vicinity of where he had such a happy youth,and close to where Princess Beatrix will move end of this year,beginning of 2014.

King Harald of Norway,his Godfather,will most likely be in attendance as will the members of the Moosbrugger family from Lech.

The cemetery is so close to Drakensteyn Castle:
Wikimapia - Let's describe the whole world!

I think Friso served God's purpose by bringing Mabel and the kids closer to Beatrix, something that might not have otherwise happened.

Oh, P.Beatrix has always been very fond of P.Mabel (and afaik was very angry towards dutch politics for the fuzz surrounding the wedding of Friso and Mabel, P.Beatrix would have treated that differently if she had had a say in it).
They have been and will be of great support to one another, exactly because they were already close before..

I see; I just like how Friso brought them even closer together. It shows how wonderful the Dutch RF is in that Friso was still treated entirely as family even when he renounced the succession. He wasn't forced into exile and treated like a leper.

I see; I just like how Friso brought them even closer together. It shows how wonderful the Dutch RF is in that Friso was still treated entirely as family even when he renounced the succession. He wasn't forced into exile and treated like a leper.

Um, of course not. Why would he have been? He had the full support of his family in his decisions.

I think you think that the marriage controversy was a bigger deal than it actually was, and honestly, I'm sure Beatrix and Mabel and the girls would have loved to have many years as a close family WITH Prince Friso.

I can't say for sure if William and Harry know much about P. Friso and Pss. Mabel but in their defense they were seen mingling with some foreign royals last year with the Jubilee/Olympics and if I remember correctly their mother was pictured chatting with King(then Prince) Willem-Alexander years ago.

Um, of course not. Why would he have been? He had the full support of his family in his decisions.

I think you think that the marriage controversy was a bigger deal than it actually was, and honestly, I'm sure Beatrix and Mabel and the girls would have loved to have many years as a close family WITH Prince Friso.

I didn't know that; Im' not too attentive ot the DRF.

The photos of Prince Friso and his family are so poignant and beautiful, it is an insight into their life that shows the joy they shared as a family.
I cannot believe that Friso is no longer here, life is so fragile and valuable.

In these difficult days I also think, besides the Dutch Royal Family, of the Bulgarian Royal Family who are in a similar situation with Prince Kardam.
What must be going through their heads right now?
I wish them strength.

I can't say for sure if William and Harry know much about P. Friso and Pss. Mabel but in their defense they were seen mingling with some foreign royals last year with the Jubilee/Olympics and if I remember correctly their mother was pictured chatting with King(then Prince) Willem-Alexander years ago.

I think no one has to be defended only because he/ she doesn´t know another person...
Will. and Harry have met the then Queen Beatrix from time to time for various occasions and I´m sure they know at least the names of other crowned heads children. It´s another matter when it comes to Beatrix´ grandchildren or her sisters children and grandchildren.
For sure they are aquainted with the spanish, greek, luxembourg and norwegian royal families.

My condolences to the family. They are finally getting much needed closure.

Last edited:
My deepest condolences to the family in such a hard and trying time.

I felt horrible when I heard the news about Friso's death. I know people say it was expected, but I have to say I held hope for him deep inside, that he would regain conscience one day and be able to be normal again, step by step.

May he rest in peace, and all my thoughts and prayers go out to Mabel, Zaria, Luana, Beatrix first and foremost, but of course also to the rest of his family and friends.

I think it is a good thing that the funeral is private. Even though the dutch people might want to grieve with the family, it is their right to mourn in peace and private, I think. Giving your last goodbye to your son, husband and father is something they should be able to do in private.

I have to say though, I was a bit surprised that W-A and Maxima held a photoshoot this winter in Lech with their girls, after what happend last year, was I alone on this? I would have thought they would maybe like to have their winter vaca in private from now on, and maybe try another place than Lech, after last year's tragic event.

My deepest condolences to the family. I feel for Princess Mabel and their daughters, but my heart especially goes out to Princess Beatrix. As a mother who has buried a child, I know this is the worst kind of pain. I hope the family can find some peace in their memories down the road.

I have to say though, I was a bit surprised that W-A and Maxima held a photoshoot this winter in Lech with their girls, after what happend last year, was I alone on this? I would have thought they would maybe like to have their winter vaca in private from now on, and maybe try another place than Lech, after last year's tragic event.

No, this is perfectly understandable as the dutch royal family has a very close connection to Lech, they have been going there on holidays for years and years and some of the people of Lech have become personal friends. The people have been very supportive to the DRF and have had a major shock themselves because this terrible accident happened in their village...

Imo the DRF returned there 'on purpose' to thank the people in Lech for their support and to show that there was no 'blaming' anyone...

P.Friso will be remembered in todays open-air church mass in Lech.

While it is sad that Friso died, I feel that he has been released, as has his family, from the terrible limbo of him being gone, but physically still here. Sad no matter what. I would hope others learn the value of the avalanche locator be on from this unnecessary tragedy.

I can't remember but when this tragedy happen was other people too involve in the avalanche?
May he rest in Peace!

Back
Top Bottom