Death and Funeral of Prince Friso: August 12 and 16, 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think all were there. I saw all of the van Vollenhovens, Carlos and Annemarie, Jaime and fiancee, Carolina and Albert, Margarita and husband, Juliana Guillermo with brother and his wife....

When you look at Prince Friso's final resting place, it appears to be in a "new part" of the church graveyard.
I wonder if a new portion was made in haste for this, as from google earth you see most of the graveyard is full or at least nearly full.
It is of course possible this new area was make for this...

Last night at a Dutch talkhow called 'Knevel en van de Brink' the former politician Pieter Winsemius talked about his friendship with Prince Friso.
He talked about it with aproval of the Royal Family.
He said that Princess Mabel e-mailed him and several other friends from time to time in the past 1,5 years to let them know how Friso was doing.
In an e-mail after his death she wrote:
"Last year Friso skied to Heaven and now finally he has arrived there."
It was terribly moving to hear her describing such an awful situation so beautifully...

Last night at a Dutch talkhow called 'Knevel en van de Brink' the former politician Pieter Winsemius talked about his friendship with Prince Friso.
He said that Princess Mabel e-mailed him and several other friends from time to time in the past 1,5 years to let them know how Friso was doing.
It was terribly moving to hear her describing such an awful situation so beautifully...

Oh wow , Mabel´s strength surprises me every day.

Beautiful. It must feel comforting to describe it that way.

Beautiful. It must feel comforting to describe it that way.

Mabel amazes me with each passing day. Who knew what a tower of strength the princess with the bow obsession would be, and I mean that in the nicest way. :flowers:

Yes I believe most if not all. I certainly saw all of Princess Margriet's children and spouses, Princess Irene's daughter Margarita and her husband and Giuliana Guillermo.

Thanks I've just seen those photo's and also think I saw Princess Christina too.

Thanks I've just seen those photo's and also think I saw Princess Christina too.

Yes, she was there too. All the sisters of Princess Beatrix were there.

I was struck by Mabel's face at the funeral; she looked so devastated. I know you all are thinking "well of course her husband died" but I am just not use to seeing such clear sadness at a funeral of a public figure; usually they put on a game face. It's refreshing to see a family member not trying to hide what she is feeling, while at the same time unbelievably sad to see.
As for the accident was Friso in a place he should not have been?

I was struck by Mabel's face at the funeral; she looked so devastated. I know you all are thinking "well of course her husband died" but I am just not use to seeing such clear sadness at a funeral of a public figure; usually they put on a game face. It's refreshing to see a family member not trying to hide what she is feeling, while at the same time unbelievably sad to see.

I read he was "off piste" which means skiing in an area that has not been groomed for skiing, or "backwoods skiing." They are unmarked skiing areas.

I agree. On the other hand she seemed so strong.Her words show that his death was a long process and it was a long time of saying goodbye....

Friso was skiing next to the appoved course..

What a loss for the house of Orange - Nassau...In my mind I have the picture of Prince Friso and Beatrix in the moment he supported his mother at his father funerals, Prince Claus...they were so closed, a wonderful son, father , brother, husband and friend...what a loss. His daughters for sure will embrace the guidance of his brothers but no one will ever be able to replace Prince Friso . How will a mother continue to breathe after the loss of her dear son? How Beatrix will make it? it is a terrible tragedy indeed. I hope Princess Mabel will receive the comfort of all the other royal members.
They lost Prince Friso for the first time when the avalanche took place, they lost him for the second time yesterday when they burried him...and they will loose him again in the moment the national service ceremony will take place later this year. Is heartbreaking and unreal....that at 44 years old Prince Friso is not among his family any more....

I remember how absolutely devastated the then Queen Beatrix looked when her husband, Prince Claus died. She too wore a very wide-brimmed hat and at times it looked like Prince Friso was physically supporting her.

I think that's one of the reasons I like the DRF - they seem to be 'real.'

What a loss for the house of Orange - Nassau...In my mind I have the picture of Prince Friso and Beatrix in the moment he supported his mother at his father funerals, Prince Claus...they were so closed, a wonderful son, father , brother, husband and friend...what a loss. His daughters for sure will embrace the guidance of his brothers but no one will ever be able to replace Prince Friso . How will a mother continue to breathe after the loss of her dear son? How Beatrix will make it? it is a terrible tragedy indeed. I hope Princess Mabel will receive the comfort of all the other royal members.
They lost Prince Friso for the first time when the avalanche took place, they lost him for the second time yesterday when they burried him...and they will loose him again in the moment the national service ceremony will take place later this year. Is heartbreaking and unreal....that at 44 years old Prince Friso is not among his family any more....
What national service ceremony ? I did'nt know there was something else to come.
:flowers:

"A memorial ceremony will be held for Friso later in the year, the palace said". This was announced by AFP. I supposed that will have a wider character the memorial , not private...but I am not so sure about it.

What national service ceremony ? I did'nt know there was something else to come.
:flowers:

It was announced that Prince Friso would be buried in a private family service that would not be televised but that there would be a televised memorial service later in the year.

It was announced that Prince Friso would be buried in a private family service that would not be televised but that there would be a televised memorial service later in the year.

Thank you for making it right !

This is a beautiful, but heartbreaking image. I cannot imagine the grief that this woman is going though at this moment. The expression on her face during the funeral was absolutely haunting. I'm so glad to see that there was no fear in displaying one's true emotions at such a time. Royal or not, we're all human, and therefore, we feel, and hurt. Sometimes, seeing a public figure acknowledge this by displaying his/her own grief in public is a statement that it's all right to have emotions, even if people around you expect you to be strong. I can't count how many times I've been called 'weak' for feeling sad, or crying, but I think that it's just the opposite; those who are not afraid to cry, or express their sadness are the strong ones. Mabel definitely falls in that category. I admire her strength.

Great minds think alike, Daria. You put my feelings into words perfectly.

A beautiful and loving family, together. In deep mourning, but showing the world that they are human and loving to and for each other. No better or worse than others, just themselves. Bless them all.

Friso and his friend were skiing off-piste. There were avalanche-warnings. Apparently there had been several attempts to activate one on that slope, without success. Because of that the two probably thought it safe to ski there.

Friso and his friend were skiing off-piste. There were avalanche-warnings. Apparently there had been several attempts to activate one on that slope, without success. Because of that the two probably thought it safe to ski there.

Also, the friend wore an avalance protector, P.Friso didn't

Prince Friso and Florian Moosbrugger were skiing off-piste on their way to a more established ski area. It was a short-cut, as such.

Reports differ somewhat as to whether Friso was a risk taker. According to the AP, "although Friso did not have an image as a risk-taker, the skiing accident - off piste despite avalanche warnings - did not stand totally alone. He was also once stopped while driving 200 kilometers per hour (120 mph)." The Christian daily Trouw described Friso as "the Queen's favourite son, [who] liked fast cars, golf, travel and diving. The type of man willing to take risks outside clearly marked pistes."

King Willem-Alexander always skied off-piste as well. I don't know if he has since the accident.

Yes, she was there too. All the sisters of Princess Beatrix were there.

I wonder if the two sisters out of the wedlock, daughters of Prince Bernhard - sorry I cannot recall their names - were there.
Have you seen them?

I wonder if the two sisters out of the wedlock, daughters of Prince Bernhard - sorry I cannot recall their names - were there.
Have you seen them?

No ofcourse not!There is no contact,and ,to make it clear,they are not an issue in or on any level either.

Prince Friso and Florian Moosbrugger were skiing off-piste on their way to a more established ski area. It was a short-cut, as such.

Reports differ somewhat as to whether Friso was a risk taker. According to the AP, "although Friso did not have an image as a risk-taker, the skiing accident - off piste despite avalanche warnings - did not stand totally alone. He was also once stopped while driving 200 kilometers per hour (120 mph)." The Christian daily Trouw described Friso as "the Queen's favourite son, [who] liked fast cars, golf, travel and diving. The type of man willing to take risks outside clearly marked pistes."

A short-cut that was cleared earlyer that day and had been used by others before them.All skyers do that,especially such experienced guys as these two.But we've been there done that on the issue as one can read from A to Z in the appropiate thread here.Anyway,it won't bring Friso back.

A short-cut that was cleared earlyer that day and had been used by others before them.All skyers do that,especially such experienced guys as these two.But we've been there done that on the issue as one can read from A to Z in the appropiate thread here.Anyway,it won't bring Friso back.
Somehow this discussion seems to irrelevant and out of place in this thread about the death and funeral of Prince Friso.

Back
Top Bottom