The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-29-2020, 02:03 PM
Imperial Majesty

Plenty of protestant families send their kids to catholic schools.

Great example is the British royals. Even though the family is Anglican (the queen is head of the church) members have attended catholic school. The closest to the throne would be Louise who attends St Mary's Ascot. Lady Margarita Armstrong Jones also attended (so did Marina and Amelia but they have a catholic mother and Marina converted like her brother).

Many factors may be in play:

-Many parents want their children to be bilingual. Their mother is fluent in French. The best way to learn a second language is immersion in it.

-the school may offer better classes, facilities then the smaller protestant school mentioned. Smaller may offer smaller class sizes but some don't always offer the same resources and options of a larger school.

-want their children exposed to a more broad range of people in Brussels, then the predominately Dutch expats found at Princess Juliana (though more Flemish are attending now).

Old 08-29-2020, 02:20 PM
Heir Apparent

I fully understand why they wouldn't pick a school that's specific catering to Dutch expats; it sounds as if the school they attended offer a much more international experience - something that surely benefitted them; and was something their mother also experienced growing up.

In addition, I doubt Laurentien grew up in a church-attending Christian family; given that her father is a prominent member (former minister and vice-MP among others) of D66 which is by many considered to have anti-Christian tendencies (although they themselves deny it but they are known for policy initiatives that go against what many Christians stand for).

Old 08-29-2020, 05:07 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
There are plenty of reasons parents might choose a Catholic school even though they're protestant, or even completely non religious (provided the school allows that).

Many non Catholics send their daughters to St Mary's Ascot in the UK because it is considered one of the smartest girls' schools in the country. Lady Louise Windsor goes there despite other CofE based schools nearby.

Their parents here might have considered that being French speaking and a with a very international student body was a good opportunity for them to experience things they wouldn't otherwise.

Not to mention that the school's mission statement in relation to faith is far from dogmatically RC and speaks of encouraging discovering Jesus for yourself in general.
I almost attended a Catholic school even though I'm Church of England because it was one of the better schools in the area, but I didn't meet the academic requirements. I know a few people who went there who aren't Catholic either and who had the option of attending religious services/events within the school (I think it was one of the more progressive Catholic schools in the area as others made services compulsory or were less lenient when it came to accepting pupils who weren't Catholic). It's the same with Church of England schools here too - they tend to perform well academically in my area, so a lot of people who aren't necessarily very religious send their children to them too and do christen their children just to get them into the schools.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 08-29-2020, 05:24 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
I fully understand why they wouldn't pick a school that's specific catering to Dutch expats; it sounds as if the school they attended offer a much more international experience - something that surely benefitted them; and was something their mother also experienced growing up.

Given the large number of foreign diplomats and EU officials of different nationalities living in Brussels , I would suppose that there must be international schools which offer instruction in English or other languages as well. Wouldn't that be a better choice if they were seeking an "international experience"?

Although I understand that many Protestant families send their kids to Catholic schools (especially in the US, maybe also in Canada ?), I still find it odd that devout Protestant parents would do it. I say that because my own experience being Catholic and having attended Catholic school is that Catholic schools are not neutral in terms of religion. On the contrary, they are pretty openly denominational.

We had religious education classes of a confessional nature for example at my school (not history of religion or similar classes you may take in college) and students were expected to attend religious ceremonies like mass. It can be very uncomfortable for children who belong to other denominations.
Old 08-29-2020, 05:38 PM
Imperial Majesty

Yes its common in Canada. In many areas the only options are either public school or catholic school. Private schools aren't a big thing here. In many cities if you want your kids to have a religious education, you either send them to Catholic school or home school them. I went to catholic school. One of my friends was the daughter of a Lutheran minister but she still went to catholic school with me. In their case it was not as much about religion but as it was the best school option in the area.

Perhaps their interest was specifically in the children learning French. There is the International School of Brussels but its instruction is in English.
Old 09-01-2020, 01:46 AM
Imperial Majesty

Claus-Casimir has his own webshop where sells, among other things, sneakers and sweaters.

https://l.instagram.com/?u=http%3A%2...OsheuaBenQ&s=1
Old 09-10-2020, 02:10 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

It seems the post/ account has been removed.

-----

Eloïse in the mean time gave an interview to the youtube series 'Open Kaart'. She says that she is not really dating at the moment but that she is 'having a nice time' with somebody.

She adds she does not have a fixed [physical] type, 'because I have liked people with brown, blonde hair and [even a] preppy guy (kakker), so I do not have a fixed type. She attaches more value to somebody's personality.

Princess Laurentien has met the lucky guy already but her grandmother did not, 'I hope that isn't strange, I didn't even think about it'. She adds: 'of course with my friends I dropped by my grandmother, and they were -even though I know them for a long time- [wondering], how do we behave, what do we say?

Old 09-23-2020, 09:35 AM
Aristocracy

Claus Casimir is off to Gordonstoun! I would have international baccalaureate would have been better than A levels but I guess they have their reasons.

https://blauwbloed.eo.nl/artikel/202...ol-gordonstoun
Old 09-23-2020, 09:50 AM
Courtier

If he or his parents wanted Gordonstoun then they had no choice about A-Levels as I don't think Gordonstoun offers IB (or for that matter Highers). There are a million reasons one might chose that school and many of them are going to be for non academic reasons, even though it also does well in that area.
Old 09-23-2020, 04:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Rather unexpected news. The RVD did not provide any further explanation but Blauw Bloed mentions that Claus can continue working on the start up of his sneaker business as a 'special project'.

Because of quarantine regulations both count Claus and princess Laurentien will be quarantining in Scotland for two weeks before Claus can join his school mates at Gordonstoun. In the meantime he will be taking the classes online.

With both Eloise and Claus gone, Leonore suddenly is the only sibling still living at home...

Edit: the sneaker company is apparently called Grails, so I assume this is his website (in very early stages).
Old 09-23-2020, 04:57 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Surprising choice but it's not been done before in the DRF - WA went to the same Atlantic College in Wales that Princess Elisabeth in Belgium recently graduated from.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old Yesterday, 02:37 PM
Heir Apparent

New photo of Countess Eloise on Instagram.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFhrCa3j...=1wyf5ftm3jz1h