Princess Kiko is Pregnant for the 3rd time

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What is it about Masako that makes the Japanese attack her? Is it that physically she doesn't look like a meek little princess? She is tall and not small boned. Is it that she is so smart the IHA personnel are threatened themselves? Is Japan still that patriarchal that men have a hard time with her? IMO she would fit in beautifully with many of the European Crown Princesses that think for themselves, have their own working agendas, are happily married, etc. In my mind, Kiko probably fits the stereotype of what the IHA wants in a princess: petite, feminine, pretty, does what she is 'supposed' to do and now with the pregnancy -- well, perhaps she is just their idea of an Empress. It seems the IHA may have their woman - now they just need to sideline Masako.

I'm not sure what's been going on; Masako was very popular for a while, but now all of a sudden there's this campaign of venom against the Crown Prince's family in general and Masako in particular.

Well, I read that the IHA dislikes Masako for a lot of reasons and not just because she hasn't given birth to a boy.

I also wonder why she is having such a hard time compared to the others. Kiko and Hisako seem to have no problems and they don't have sons, either. I guess the difference is that Masako is the CP, has a different background, and has to produce that heir at whatever cost and terms.

If you ask me, it should be the Imperial princes - and not their wives - who should be "berated" for not producing sons or no children at all. Or Prince Katsura can get married and produce an heir.

BTW, thanks, Charlotte, for the info on the Imperial Princesses' lives. I wish we could see more of the younger princesses.

Last edited:
The major reason why Kiko has less pressure of being in Imperial family is because she was educated through Gakushuin which was previously strictly made for Imperial family and exteneded royals. School was made to bring up prince and princess through education. Princess. When Empress Michiko was still in process of engagement to Emperor Akihito, the IHA's one of the biggest argument was "she is not Gakushuin educated and brought up in Catholic school". Even after their marriege, the idea of Gakushuin graduated formar-royals has dominated the royal family and dicided to attack her throughout the years. The only major difference between Empress Michiko and CP Masako is Michiko has given birth to a boy the first year of marriege. Her former school University of Secred Heart Principal Mother Brit has believed her prayer has been answered at that time of birth of Naruhito( And IHA had problem with that, too)

Hope Masako feels better...:(

I read in a German magazine: it has been confirmed that Princess Kiko is expecting a boy.
Is this true or just one of the usual German magazines' made-up-stories.

Elspeth said:
You might find the Pandora's box articles on this page interesting; I think they've been quite well researched:

http://www.etoile.co.uk/Japan/History.html

I might have linked to them before, but they're worth a read.

These articles were very interesting. In the last one, I believe, it said that in 2003 the IHA "suggested" that Prince Akishino and Kiko should try to have a baby, but they wouldn't. What happened between now and then to change their minds? Were they pressured?

Emmily said:
These articles were very interesting. In the last one, I believe, it said that in 2003 the IHA "suggested" that Prince Akishino and Kiko should try to have a baby, but they wouldn't. What happened between now and then to change their minds? Were they pressured?

Yes, the head the IHA publicly called for Naruhito and Masako to try for a 2nd child and then for Akishino and Kiko for a 3rd.

I'm not sure how this pregnancy was "arranged" but it was said that they have asked "permission" from the Akihito -said to be fretting about the succession crisis for the past 10 years - to have a third child. They didn't want to before, in deference to the Crown Prince couple. Again, all this may or may not be true. But one thing is certain, it is the triumph of the IHA.

Last edited:
kawaiian said:
The major reason why Kiko has less pressure of being in Imperial family is because she was educated through Gakushuin which was previously strictly made for Imperial family and extended royals. School was made to bring up prince and princess through education. Princess. When Empress Michiko was still in process of engagement to Emperor Akihito, the IHA's one of the biggest argument was "she is not Gakushuin educated and brought up in Catholic school". Even after their marriege, the idea of Gakushuin graduated former-royals has dominated the royal family and decided to attack her throughout the years. The only major difference between Empress Michiko and CP Masako is Michiko has given birth to a boy the first year of marriege. Her former school University of Secred Heart Principal Mother Brit has believed her prayer has been answered at that time of birth of Naruhito( And IHA had problem with that, too)

Hope Masako feels better...:(

Thanks, Kawaiian, for the info/explanation.:)
Oh, but it's not Masako's fault that she didn't attend Gakushuin School :confused:. I mean, her dad was a top diplomat assigned elsewhere, working for the nation's best interests, and so she was educated in other schools. How horrible to be "looked down" and attacked just because she didn't go to that elite school.

monica17 said:
If you ask me, it should be the Imperial princes - and not their wives - who should be "berated" for not producing sons or no children at all. Or Prince Katsura can get married and produce an heir.

Prince Katsura had an an accident in 1988 and now moves on a wheelchair. I think he is paralysed from waist down, and for that reason can't have children. Perhaps that's why he didn't marry as this accident has taken place only months after he received a permission to start a new branch of a royal family.

msleiman said:
I hate to say this but here goes. Do you think that they have planned all of this and have some other baby. They could do a switch and just say that this is the baby boy they have be praying for. I really do not put anything pass them. This whole thing is just crazy. Women should be able to take the throne. :mad:

That has crossed my mind too. It's like they are so desperate to prevent the little Princess to ever become Empress that I won't doubt the Imperial Household will resort to any trick they can pull to get their way.

Jacek-t said:
Prince Katsura had an an accident in 1988 and now moves on a wheelchair. I think he is paralysed from waist down, and for that reason can't have children. Perhaps that's why he didn't marry as this accident has taken place only months after he received a permission to start a new branch of a royal family.

Welcome Jacek-T! :)

If the Imperial Y chromosome means as much to them as they say it does, they're not going to be able to do that (unless there happens to be a baby born in the male line of one of the collateral branches of the imperial family). In this day and age of gender selection, there's no need for the elaborate ruse of a baby switch.

How about this theory? The Imperial Household has used Princess Kiko's husband to artificially inseminate several secret candidates until at least one of them confirmed she will have a boy. Princess Kiko could be pregnant but, as a safety measure, the back up fallopian tubes are already in the works to to do a switch over. The prize: Kiko and her spouse become emperors and his older brother is forced to abdicate under the excuse he is doing it for the peace of mind of his wife and daugther.

Far fetched? Let's see what happens in a few months if the baby is a boy.

Yes, I'd say that was very far fetched considering there are easier ways to produce boys. You could probably get into the guild of conspiracy theorists with that one!

Jacek-t said:

Oh, yes, I read about it after I posted - very sad. Thanks, Jacek-t (and welcome!). It is most unfortunate.

Honestly, though, let's just hope that the new baby will bring peace to the family - and to the nation, as well. Just a few more months.....

I haven't lost hope that the Imperial Succession Law will still be changed. I think this all-girls offspring scenario in the last 40 years is telling the IHA, the Imperial Family, and the conservatives something.;)

Last edited:
Scroll down on Imperial Household of Japan to see the current line of Succesion. Until the rules change there is no mention of any women until the law is amended.
The site also has some interesting information on the Japanese monarchy that is worth reading.

I hope that the pregnancy goes verry well!!

I just hope that it is a girl and that they have to change the law.

maybe the cp get a boy after they have changed the law??

i think if it is not a boy she will have another baby in a couple of years..but i just hope that she is not under to much stress and delivers early

hopefully, it might be a boy & it might take off pressure from masako... and HOPEFULLY inspire her to have more children! Aiko needs siblings, it doesn't matter if its girls or boys.

Siblings vor Aiko

I don´t think Masako is able to have another baby. If so she would´ve had more children long ago. This might be the reason why her sister-in-law now "helps out" because Kiko can have children without medical problems. And as she turns only 40 in September she can easily have a fourth one if this one isn´t a boy.

Stefanie said:
I don´t think Masako is able to have another baby. If so she would´ve had more children long ago. This might be the reason why her sister-in-law now "helps out" because Kiko can have children without medical problems. And as she turns only 40 in September she can easily have a fourth one if this one isn´t a boy.

I don't think Masako's going to have another baby either. Especially considering the rumored trouble she had in conceiving Aiko. I doubt Kiko is purposefully going to have another child after this one. No matter how far medicine advances, once a woman turns 30, certain risk factors go up. No matter the gender of this baby (personally I think it's a boy because of the way it all happened, but still hoping for a girl) I don't think Kiko will have another baby after this.

Japan pregnant princess may have complications
...........Kyodo said that Princess Kiko, 39, whose baby is due in late September, had symptoms of placenta previa, a complication in which the placenta becomes implanted at a location lower than normal in the uterus.............
http://www.boston.com/news/world/asia/articles/2006/07/18/japan_pregnant_princess_may_have_complications/

Japan royal baby likely to be born early-official
.............Kyodo also said Princess Kiko would not immediately be hospitalized but would rest at home. It added that the baby was developing normally. "I think a Caesarean operation will be needed and there is a high possibility that the timing (of the birth) will be earlier than originally expected," the spokesman quoted a palace doctor as telling reporters.........................Placenta previa can be treated with bed rest for the mother, but if bleeding cannot be controlled, a Caesarean delivery is usually done regardless of the length of the pregnancy, medical experts said.
http://go.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=worldNews&storyID=12873301&src=rss/worldNews

Princess Kiko has symptoms of placenta displacement
Princess Kiko, whose baby is due in late September at the earliest, has symptoms of placenta previa, a complication in which the placenta becomes implanted at a location lower than normal in the uterus, the Imperial Household Agency said Tuesday...................
http://asia.news.yahoo.com/060718/kyodo/d8iu78ug1.html

From Sankei news
Princess Kiko last seen entering the Imperial Palace for a checkup at the Imperial Household Agency Hospital on July 12, 2006.
http://go.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=worldNews&storyID=12873301&src=rss/worldNews

Last edited:
mandyy said:
Japan royal baby likely to be born early-official
.............Kyodo also said Princess Kiko would not immediately be hospitalized but would rest at home. It added that the baby was developing normally. "I think a Caesarean operation will be needed and there is a high possibility that the timing (of the birth) will be earlier than originally expected," the spokesman quoted a palace doctor as telling reporters.........................Placenta previa can be treated with bed rest for the mother, but if bleeding cannot be controlled, a Caesarean delivery is usually done regardless of the length of the pregnancy, medical experts said.
A quote from this article (Thank you for the link, Mandyy :)):
"Current law limits the imperial succession to males who are descended from an emperor through the paternal line, but experts have said it is difficult to maintain the system given that a system of royal concubines no longer exists."

I wonder what conservative politicians in Japan would prefer? Letting Aiko become next empress or accept illegitimate sons if only DNA-tests prove they are descended from an emperor via the male line? :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Even in Poland the subject regarding remote Japan is considered as interesting and today online newspaper onet.pl (sorry-only in polish) informed about princess's Kiko health problems. According to article the princess is supposed to have caesarean section in order to avoir other complication.

http://wiadomosci.onet.pl/1357542,12,1,0,120,686,item.html

Japanese princess to have Caesarean section
.............Kiko -- who has two daughters aged 11 and 14 -- has been advised to rest and promised in a statement, "I will try to rest as much as possible."
Her husband Prince Akishino, the second son of Emperor Akihito, said he had "confidence in the doctors' team."
Kiko has not shown any signs of illness, although she has complained of minor fatigue, Kanazawa said, adding that the fetus was growing healthily..................
http://au.news.yahoo.com/060718/19/ztno.html

Poor Kiko. I hope that everything goes well for her and the baby.

So do I.

Mind you, the cynic in me is saying that this is as good a way as any of concealing the actual due date. If she has a caesarean, we won't know how far along she actually was when the announcement was made and whether it was early enough for it to be known with certainty that she was carrying a boy.

I agree, Elspeth. I think there is alot of press manipulation going on here. I will not be the least bit surprised if this baby is born while CPN and CPM are in the Netherlands. A C-section is a convenient way to get the baby "out" at an opportune time so the Crown Princely couple doesn't have to deal with the national glee over a boy. But I'm still hoping for a miracle -- a healthy little girl!

Only hypothetical questions: what if it will be a boy and will be born seriously ill or will fall ill after birth? I know that with today medicine it's not really possible , and the IHA had done everything that would never happen but never knows. What will happen and what with the succsession?

The "boy" must be born save...

Maybe this talk about medical problems and caesarean are hints that a boy is on his way and is to be born the savest way possible.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom