Princess Kiko is Pregnant for the 3rd time

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Congratulations to Princess Kiko,
and Prince Akishino, Princesses Mako & Kako

but, i do hope this would be a Baby Girl, for Masako's sake (who just slowly returning to her normal presence)

An old article that hinted on this pregnancy from Mainich news
.................Prince Akishino and Princess Kiko also appeared to touch on the theme. The couple has two daughters, and a former top palace official once stirred controversy by publicly suggesting they should have a third child -- preferably a boy.
Both wrote about storks. Kiko's poem read:
"A stork takes wings
"It circles in the arch of the sky
"We look up
"With big smile."
The Imperial Household Agency denied the poems indicated the possibility of the couple having a third child, saying they were simply recalling a visit to a ceremony last year in which protected storks were released into the wild.........................
http://mdn.mainichi-msn.co.jp/national/news/20060112p2a00m0na019000c.html

While I wish Princess Kiko a healthy pregnancy, as well as a healthy baby, I hope the baby is a girl. Timing, IMO, is awfully suspicious. Perhaps it was a pleasant surprise; however, I too think this is a last ditch effort to try to prevent succession law changes. Don't get me wrong, I understand why some people would be against the succession law changes, I just hate the undue pressure that is placed on the princesses.

just like what people have been saying...it's the TIMING that's suspicious! Also, the large differences in age between the two pricness (Mako and Kako) with this unborn child just makes people to wonder why Princess Kiko suddenly got pregnant...besides, she's already 39 years old. I suspect that this pregnancy is artificial ...there has also been speculation in some newspaper saying that the baby is not only a product of artificial breeding, but they also chose the gender (--> BOY of course) that's why they announce this so early

Let's hope that it's a GIRL....just to annoy the IHA!

Last edited:
Is it for sure that they're going to delay trying to pass the bill because of Princess Kiko's pregnancy. I'm beginning to wonder if the IHA have any humane bones in their body. One look at cute Princess Aiko's face and they would sign the bill right away. She would make a great Empress. What are they so afraid of? Many European households have changed their succession laws and nothing bad has happened. As some other members stated, the timing is awfully suspicious. Whatever the baby's sex is, I hope the reform happens fast. I'm beginning to give up on the IHA. What is so good about a boy anyway? (Not to demean boys but in this situation the IHA have just got to learn that girls are just as good as boys.)

Congratulations to princess kiko, her family, imperial family and Japanese

I wish her and child's health.

mandyy said:
Kunaicho (Imperial Household Agency) announced this on their official website

文仁親王(秋篠宮)妃殿下に関しての宮内庁長官記者会見要旨
 文仁親王妃殿下には,本日,拝診の結果,ご懐妊の兆候がおありになるとのことであります。
 本日,このことについて,思いがけない形で報道がなされましたが,これは,妃殿下が,山階鳥類研究所の会議のために千葉県にお出まし中の文仁親王殿下に,拝診の結果をご報告になる時間さえない時点で行われたもので,妃殿下にお与えした動揺やご負担を考えると,極めて残念に思わざるを得ません。
 文仁親王殿下から天皇皇后両陛下,皇太子同妃両殿下に直接ご報告をなさったとうかがっておりますが,両陛下には,ここに久々に皇室が再びお小さい宮様をお迎えになることをお聞きになり,心よりお喜びのご様子でございました。

本日は,とりあえず,以上のことをお話しますが,後日,その時期が来れば,正式に発表いたします。それまでの間,文仁親王妃殿下が静かにお過ごしになれるよう,配慮されることが極めて大切であると思っております。 
平成18年2月7日:宮内庁​

Can someone translate this for the royal forum members?
I translate brief. (I am sorry if mistaken in translation..)

1. princess kiko has "the symptom" of the pregnancy.
2. It was reported by the unexpected method, It is very regrettable if that considers the uneasiness and agitation which were given to her.
3. prince Akishino contacted directly to emperor, empress, crown prince and crown princess. Especially, the emperor and the empress seemed to be very pleased.
4. And, this news announces formally later (sometime during this month?, TV news said).

Last edited:
Maybe we should stop to wishing them a girl? Bad fortune could bring a boy (I hope that he don't!):mad:

Congratulation for the couples
Just wondered if Crow prince and Crown princess themselves put their big hope that this time princess Akishino going to delivered a baby boy then Princess Masako will be free from presures to producing a male heir. I still hope the succession law change soon but it likely difficult to predict right now.

It's really sad that a country can turn a normally happy event in a couple's lives into a political statement. From the way things go there, a boy would more likely to put pressure and shame on Masako. If it turns out to be a boy, any public rejoicing would be another confirmation how little that country values a woman and her daughter.

i think masako should be happy that her sister in law is relieving the pressure of her if its a boy...
seriously, and aiko should be glad too.
she wont have to be Empress.
no stress!

congrats for Princess Kiko!

but I hope thet the baby is boy....

I doubt it would be so much publicity about the pregnancy unless they knew it to be a boy.

News reported that the news of Princess Kiko being pregnant was reported in the press even before Prince Akishino knew himself of his wife's pregnancy on the morning/afternoon of Feb. 7, 2006.

Last edited:
mandyy said:
News reported that the news of Princess Kiko being pregnant was reported in the press even before Prince Akishino knew himself of his wife's pregnancy on Feb. 7, 2006.

But I thought an earlier report said Akishino had informed the Emperor/Empress and the Crown Princely couple. Somehow this report seems odd..not least because of the obvious: the dad didn't know before the press?!

I dont think the monarchy will survive if it is a boy. The monarchy needs MAJOR reform. If it stays the same conservative no good institution then it will just fade away as they are locked away in their palace. The most advanced nation in the world yet their culture wont change.

Even if the baby is a boy, I think that they should still push ahead the succession reforms. But in the mean time, I think that this pregnancy will relieve pressure from Masako rather than add more.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding of the proposed reforms is that it will allow women to succeed to the throne, but still won't put them ahead of the men. So according to that possible change, if the baby is a boy AND the reform passes, the new baby will still become emperor.

Congratulations to her
I don't wish a girl or a boy
I just wish a healthy kid;)

Imperial pregnancy a cause for happiness
The Imperial Household Agency announced Tuesday evening that Princess Kiko, the wife of Prince Akishino, was showing signs of pregnancy. The baby is due at the end of September.
The baby will be the couple's third child after Princess Mako, 14, and Princess Kako, 11, and the fourth grandchild of the Emperor and Empress after the two princesses and Princess Aiko, 4, the only child of Crown Prince Naruhito and Crown Princess Masako. Princess Aiko was born in December 2001.
The baby will further brighten the Imperial family. According to the agency, the Emperor and Empress heartily rejoiced at the news. It is wonderful news for us, too. We would like to congratulate the Imperial family from the bottom of our hearts...........................
http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/dy/editorial/20060209TDY04005.htm

Princess Kiko pregnancy puts female Emperor idea on hold
Just a few weeks ago, the campaign to make women eligible for Japan's time-honored Chrysanthemum Throne seemed assured of victory.
The measure was overwhelmingly popular with the public, and Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi vowed to push ahead with the reform in a major speech in the Diet.
Now that movement is frozen in its tracks, thanks to a powerful newcomer on the Japanese Imperial scene: a six-week-old embryo.
The Imperial Household Agency announced on Tuesday that Princess Kiko -- wife of the second man in line to the throne, Prince Akishino -- was in the early stages of pregnancy, delivering a possible solution to the Imperial Family's much-bemoaned lack of male heirs.........................
http://mdn.mainichi-msn.co.jp/national/news/20060209p2a00m0na002000c.html

I agree that the timing makes this whole thing very suspicious. It doesn't help that the older daughters are 11 and 14 (only 3 years apart). It makes you wonder why Kiko and Akishino are having another baby now, especially in the midst of all this successional law reform.

It places an enormous amount of pressure on the couple, though. If they have another daughter, there'd probably be terrible PA for the IHA for placing this whole movement on hold. I'd imagine Kiko would feel truly horrible if she had a daughter. They'd lose another chance at a male heir...

Sadly, if this was the only reason they're having another baby and it's a daughter, she'd have a stigma growing up...she'd learn that she was supposed to be a boy and the only reason she was conceived was on the notion that she had to be a boy. In addition...I'd imagine the IHA wouldn't treat this new little princess very well...

Well, first of all, Congratulations to Prince Akishino and Princess Kiko! Expecting a baby is a great thing, regardless of age, and I trully hope that they will have a healthy little kid.
I was very surprised to learn about Princess Kiko's pregnancy and my first thought was 'what will happen to the succession reform now?' I am very fond of Princess Aiko and would love to see her as the Empress of Japan one day. However if Princess Kiko deliveres a boy, then I really think it would be better if he were the heir. I say this not of my personal believes, because as I said, I am very fond of Princess Aiko, but taking into consideration the traditions of Japan, which must be respected. I do think that most Japanese people would prefer a male Emperor, because that's part of the tradition and traditions still play a great role on Japanese society. And any traditions must be respected.

Anyway, putting the succession reform aside, I again wish Princess Kiko to have a healthy, lovely little kid, a boy or a girl.

I'm sure we all know plenty of people who have had "oops" babies or late in life surprises. (It seems pretty cold-hearted to get pregnant on purpose.)

mandyy said:
News reported that the news of Princess Kiko being pregnant was reported in the press even before Prince Akishino knew himself of his wife's pregnancy on the morning/afternoon of Feb. 7, 2006.

That's revolting. That must mean the doctor was straight on the phone to the puppetmasters at the IHA before the princess had even had a moment to talk to her own family.

Well, at six weeks they can usually tell which gender the embryo is.

The way these people operate, I wouldn't be surprised if the pregnancy wasn't announced until they knew it was a boy and that it would have been terminated if it had been a girl and she'd been told to go back home and try again. I mean, it's obvious that this pregnancy is in response to the current discussion about the succession, and Prince Akishino seems to be quite unsympathetic to his brother's concerns about the Crown Princess.

Last edited:
Termination of the baby?!? I hope not, I mean that's really horrible. I do hope it's a boy to relieve Masako of the pressures placed on her by such bizarre and thorny laws.

Elspeth said:
That's revolting. That must mean the doctor was straight on the phone to the puppetmasters at the IHA before the princess had even had a moment to talk to her own family.

Since the IHA was that eager...the baby's probably a boy. :rolleyes:

http://www.hellomagazine.com/royalty/2006/02/07/princesskiko/

BABY NUMBER THREE ON THE WAY FOR JAPAN'S PRINCESS KIKO

After years dominated by news of Crown Princess Masako's ill health and the succession issue, the Japanese royal family now has every reason to celebrate. Princess Kiko, the wife of the Emperor's younger son, Prince Akishino, is expecting her third child in the autumn.

Friends of the couple, who have two daughters - 14-year-old Princess Mako and Princess Kako, 11, expressed their surprise and delight. An old school chum of Akishino, Hiroshi Takita, said he was happy, adding that when he met the prince in December he'd been silent on the matter.

Rather more revealing was the subject of Kiko's poem at the annual imperial verse reading ceremony. "A stork takes wings, it circles in the arch of the sky," wrote the 39-year-old royal. "We look up with a big smile."

foiegrass said:
i think masako should be happy that her sister in law is relieving the pressure of her if its a boy...
seriously, and aiko should be glad too.
she wont have to be Empress.
no stress!
Yeah...but I do wish that Naruhito's children will inherit the throne someday..After all, Prince Naruhito is the future emperor..it would be more appropriate or fair if he will pass the throne to one of his children, his direct bloodline...and I would say that i am bias with this idea because I am fond of Prince Naruhito, Princess Masako, and Princess Aiko..They've been through hard times and I think it would be a great consolation or reward if Aiko will become Empress somdeday...and I believe that deep in their hearts, the Crown Prince and Princess would like their daughter or future children to have the throne someday...

congrats but i hope it's a baby gal and they change the old way of thinking and this should be with all Royal households, gals have the same rights as boys ,EEO, so they should stop making male heirs to the Throne they don't always make the best monarch, well lets see you have Queen in England and you have a Queen in Denmark, future Queen in Sweden and in Norway, why not in every Royal household, first born no matter sex should rule, what's the big deal the Prime Ministers rule anyways not the King or Queen.

So Japan and other countries change your sex consituations for Royal first borns, whatever sex they are they should rule so i want for Japan, Princess Aiko to rule one day Japan. Maybe a future Queen of Spain instead of a first born son to be king.

I think we are equal, that's what you ladies wanted so now we have to do the same first born future Queen or King.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom