Prince and Princess Akishino have a son: Prince Hisahito

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Several posts above, someone suggested that Kiko wanted
to get pregnant in order to provide another heir... is there
any confirmation that the boy was conceived via IVF or
otherwise?

Can anyone tell me if the members of the Japanese royal
family are even allowed to use any form of birth control?

Thanks!

Congratulations to the couple...

Thank you so much for the pics.

thank you for the info。

Furienna said:
Okay, now I get it. Well, no one has really questioned the rule, that the first born will inherit the thrown. And Naruhito was older than Akishino. Likewise, the first born's firstborn is also the heir, even if there are cousins born before him. Therefor, Crown prince Frederik's son will once become the king of Denmark, even though Frederik's younger brother Joachim had children before him. No one thought Mako and Kako had more right to the thrown than Aiko, because Aiko was the crown prince's daughter, and Mako and Kako weren't.

Uh, that's not what I was saying. I was mentioning the fact that some people are saying that Kiko and her husband used IVF, and how unfair it is that the (IH) manufactored this baby boy, taking Aiko's birth right away from her.

The point I was making is its pretty widly know that Aiko herself was an IVF baby, which makes her in someways just as manufactured as her little cousin.

The point I was making is that you cannot say its fair for the Crown Prince and Princess to use IVF, but its wrong for the second son. So if your going to use the "natural argument." than it should be poor Princess Mako. Because without IVF technology, than she would be the eldest potentional heir with reforms. Don't get me wrong, As a Catholic, I don' agree with IVF at all. I think its opened a pandora' box so to speak, although of course I don't blame the IVF kids, and I think Princess Aiko is adorable. But I'm saying that well if one brother used IVF than the other brother should be able to use it too. Fair's/fair and unfortuantely there is a throne at stake.

As for the first born rule, I see how its fair, but in reality it really isn't fair. Just because someone's born first doesn't mean He/she will make the better King or Queen. In the end its "luck, blood, tradition that gives you the crown, there's nothing fair about it.

But I wasn't challenging the first born, I was challenging the whole the new prince was born from INVITRO, "its not fair."

Last edited:
Princess Kiko
:lol: HAPPY 40th BIRTHDAY !!:lol:

Japanese princess celebrates 40th birthday with new-born prince
Japanese Princess Kiko has celebrated her 40th birthday at a Tokyo hospital together with her new-born baby boy, who has preserved the royal family's male succession for another generation....Prince Akishino, who is Emperor Akihito's second son, is scheduled to visit the hospital to celebrate his wife's birthday, news reports said.
Kiko and the baby boy are in good condition and will be discharged from the hospital within a week, Imperial Household Agency officials said....
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060911/wl_asia_afp/japanroyalsuccessionbirthday_060911043804

:flowers: - Happy Birthday, Princess Kiko!

I can't wait to see the new prince.

From Shinmai news
A pair of baby shoes made out of pure gold was exhibited in Nagano Prefecture to celebrate the birth of the imperial baby.

Baby prince to be named in traditional ceremony Tuesday
Prince Akishino, Emperor Akihito's second son, will name his first son at a traditional naming ceremony on Tuesday, the seventh day since Princess Kiko gave birth to the imperial family's first heir in nearly 41 years.

At the naming ceremony, scheduled to begin at around 3:30 p.m. at Tokyo's Aiiku Hospital, the new prince's name written by Prince Akishino and his symbol written by Princess Kiko on Japanese paper will be put inside a wooden box, which will then be placed by the baby's pillow. The symbol will be used to mark the baby's belongings....
http://asia.news.yahoo.com/060911/kyodo/d8k2ibn00.html

Japan's Kiko turns 40 in hospital with new-born prince
...Later Crown Prince Naruhito and Masako had their first glimpse of their new nephew, whose birth closed debate on female succession that would have put their own daughter, four-year-old Princess Aiko, in line to the throne.
Aiko, wearing a blue dress, hid shyly behind her father's back as she and her parents were met at the hospital entrance by the glare of cameras.....
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/11092006/323/japan-s-kiko-turns-40-hospital-new-born-prince.html

Japan's Crown Prince Naruhito, Crown Princess Masako and their daughter Princess Aiko arrive at Aiiku Hospital in Tokyo September 11, 2006 to see Princess Kiko and her newly-born baby boy
#1-3: Profimedia
#4: Reuters
#5: Getty images
#6-8: Polfoto

Last edited:
The Crown Princely couple looks quite happy; I do think Masako's smile is genuine.
Little Aiko looks like she wants to run away though! :lol:

Yes, she was more than reluctant to be photographied... poor baby....

woah, masako looks happier these days :) good for her! i think the birth of kiko's son has removed an extremely heavy burden for her.

The more I think about it, the more I think that this little guy must be a relief to the Crown Princess. I read an article where it said many Japanese are still willing for an Empress, (the majority still inspite of the new Prince's birth.) However, they want also to take their time debating this, and seriously considering this change. So maybe the change will be for the boy prince's kids? Who knows.

But for Masako I would think the whole thing is a relief. If a change happens then it will be because the Japanese people really want the change, not because they were forced into/had no choice. So if her daughter becomes Empress it will be because the people want her as Empress even over a boy.

Either way, Masako and her husband won't go down in history as the reason the 1500 year male line failed, and I think it is a very good thing.

In the end, none of this is the little Prince's fault, and it's sad that some newspapers are referring to his birth as a "step backward for Japan."

So I'm sure this little boy Prince is a relief to Masako (and its a little nephew too, maybe Aiko and the little boy will become close?) I read an interview where the Crown Prince said he'd be thrilled to be suceeded by a nephew. Maybe the Crown Prince and Princess don't want Aiko to have to deal with the Empress pressure.

foiegrass said:
woah, masako looks happier these days :) good for her! i think the birth of kiko's son has removed an extremely heavy burden for her.

Perhaps, but I think Masako has looked happier since returning from her vacation in the the Netherlands.

The visit by the Crown Princely couple to see their new nephew must be a bit bittersweet for Masako and Naruhito. Although I'm sure that their smiles are genuine and that they really are happy for Kiko and Akishino, some small part of them must be thinking about the level of media attention and joy being felt in Japan at this time over the arrival of a little baby boy should be meant for them and a little boy that was born to them.

Alexandria, my thoughts exactly. I have watched the rising interest and adulation for Kiko. While she seems to be a very nice person, I hope the adulation gives way to an appreciation for all members of the IH and what they have to contribute to Japan.

Emily said:
Alexandria, my thoughts exactly. I have watched the rising interest and adulation for Kiko. While she seems to be a very nice person, I hope the adulation gives way to an appreciation for all members of the IH and what they have to contribute to Japan.

I hope so too, but Princess Kiko I think has really been a rock in the Japanese royal family it seems. So maybe its nice for her that she gets a little attention now. Also, I have read that there are some rising problems on how this little boy will be treated. Apparently Princess kiko and her husband get a lot less money from the state, and now they have the Possible future emperor on their hands. So it means they may need more money or something will have to be done because it will be a huge burden on their hands.

I read that many Japanese still want it so a female can be emperess but also want time for debate. The problem with this is that it means Aiko and this little boy's lives will be on permanent hold. What needs to be decided is if they want debate time, than they should say that any futher debate effects the future emperor (whether it be Aiko's brother or cousin) and his kids.

That's great the princess and the baby is doing fine and that they are both safe and sound. I was hoping for a girl so they allow a female emperor to be head of state it is just not meant to be. The line of succession will not change the deal has been sealed it will remain only male descents of the emperor.

The name of the new baby prince is "Hisahito".
His full name would be HIH Prince Hisahito of Akishino.

Written in Japanese : 秋篠宮悠仁親王殿下
Translation: Akishino no miya Hisahito shinno denka.
His symbol is 高野槇 (Kouyamaki). It's is a tall black pine tree.

Photos of the plant: http://aoki2.si.gunma-u.ac.jp/BotanicalGarden/HTMLs/kouya-maki.html
Kouyamaki in English is Sciadopitys verticillata

Japan royal baby named Hisahito

...The Imperial Household Agency said that his name meant "virtuous, calm and everlasting", the Associated Press news agency reported.
The character in his name pronounced hito has traditionally been included in the name of royal males.
Prince Hisahito was named in a private ceremony at the Tokyo hospital where Princess Kiko gavee birth. According to tradition, his father chose the name while his mother selected a crest used to mark his belongings....
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/5337374.stm

Japan's newborn prince named Hisahito: palace
...Hisa translates as "serene" in Japanese. Hito, which means "virtuous", is traditionally put at the end of names of boys born to the world's oldest monarchy....During the ceremony Akishino wrote the name on Japanese hand-made paper and Kiko separately wrote a royal symbol for the baby.
The pieces of paper were put inside a box made of paulownia wood and were placed by the baby's pillow to complete the naming ceremony....
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060912/wl_asia_afp/japanroyalsuccessionname_060912071256

Japan's Prince Akishino, left, is greeted by Masao Nakabayashi, president of Aiiku Hospital, in Tokyo upon his arrival Tuesday afternoon, Sept. 12, 2006 to preside over a traditional naming ceremony for his first son who was born on Sept. 6. The son of Prince Akishino and Princess Kiko has been named Prince Hisahito, the Imperial Household Agency said on Tuesday.
#1-2:from Polfoto
#3-4: Profimedia
http://img219.imageshack.us/my.php?image=r716200079ef7.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, Mandyy!

I like the choice of the baby's name: serene and virtuous. I have been hoping the new baby brings peace to the family, and serene is synonymous to peaceful.

LEAD: Imperial baby named Prince Hisahito, with hope of long life
...The parents have chosen the name in the hope that the prince will live long at ease, while the umbrella pine, the coniferous evergreen tree native to Japan, has been selected for his symbol in the hope that he will grow straight and tall, the agency said....Prince Akishino and Princess Kiko discussed which name and symbol to select for their baby and decided on the symbol, while the prince selected the name from a list compiled by the agency after consulting with the emperor and Empress Michiko, according to the agency....The agency said it had begun considering which names to choose from for the baby since July, excluding the names of previous emperors and recent members of the imperial family. After the baby was born last Wednesday, it had chosen three names, taking the opinions of experts in Japanese and Chinese literature into account, it said...."The name reflects Prince Akishino and Princess Kiko's feelings well. I would like the new prince to live freely and easily as his name suggests," Chief Cabinet Secretary Shinzo Abe said after the naming ceremony Tuesday...Umbrella pines have grown on the grounds of the Imperial Palace in Tokyo and on the grounds of the Akasaka Estate, where Prince Akishino's family live.
http://asia.news.yahoo.com/060912/kyodo/d8k37ed01.html

From Polfoto
#1: Japanese woman looks at a congratulatory announcement of the name of the newly-born prince displayed at at a department store in Tokyo Tuesday, Sept. 12, 2006.
#2: Japanese youngsters take a photo of a congratulatory announcement of the name of the newly-born prince displayed at a department store in Tokyo Tuesday, Sept. 12, 2006.

Last edited:
mandyy said:
The agency said it had begun considering which names to choose from for the baby since July, excluding the names of previous emperors and recent members of the imperial family..."The name reflects Prince Akishino and Princess Kiko's feelings well. I would like the new prince to live freely and easily as his name suggests,"

The IHA was considering names in July? Names of previous emperors? That seems to suggest foreknowledge of a boy. Hmmm...

I hope that little Hisahito has a long life, and that Akishino and Kiko's wishes are respected and he is able to live a carefree and less restricted life, but that's probably not going to happen :[

morhange said:
The IHA was considering names in July? Names of previous emperors? That seems to suggest foreknowledge of a boy. Hmmm...

I hope that little Hisahito has a long life, and that Akishino and Kiko's wishes are respected and he is able to live a carefree and less restricted life, but that's probably not going to happen :[
Well, they could have looked at names for a possible boy...

But! As for the talk about hte father choosing, one article said that the father was given a list of three names to choose from. Isn't that really kind of the IHA? But I think its a nice name.. Hopefuly, he can bring peace to that family...

..."The name reflects Prince Akishino and Princess Kiko's feelings well. I would like the new prince to live freely and easily as his name suggests,"

Something tells me that this child won't be living freely and easily if recent history is any guide.

No surprise there, of course. However, it could just be that they were choosing names for a boy in the event that it was a boy whereas if it had been another mere girl it would have been a personal decision of the parents. Wonder what the Kanji for "another bitter disappointment" looks like.:rolleyes:

Lady Night Stalker said:
Given the emotional stress Masako went through I personally believe she's probably glad a boy was born even if it was by her brother and sister in law. It takes an enormous amount of pressure off her now. No one is going to really care about her faiulure because everyone will be so focused on the new little prince. Aiko looks happy and healthy in all her pictures. Given what Masako has gone through I think all she wants for her daughter is to live a happy and normal life without having to be held back by imperial restrictions and her position. She can actually live a full life.

At first i was so disappointed that PKiko had given birth to a baby boy, but i've had a few weeks to think it over and i agree with you. The pressure is now of PM & PAiko can hopefully have a normal life.

For those of you who have been saying that the pregnancy may possibly have been orchestrated by the IHA - well i agree. I wouldn't put it pass them. I also agree with those of you who are saying that this situation may crop up again in the future. They really need to look at their constitution and change it.

It would be awful for another princess to go thru what PMasako did.

CONGRATULATIONS TO PKIKO AND HER NEW SON:flowers: :bunny:
fam10.gif

I don't envy him at all - he will be a 'puppet' in the hands of the IHA - what a future life eh? Maybe PAiko has had a luck escape!!!

My congratulations to the Imperial Family, especially to Princess Kiko, and may Prince Hisahito be healthy!

IVF-PGD-ET or no such alphabet soup, he is a most welcome addition into the most ancient Imperial House on Earth. :)

I don't think it will happen again. After what happened with Masako, I doubt any woman will want to do the same thing, ever. I'm all pro male primogeniture, but only having female heirs is still better than pushing yet another princess into depression. It's okay with female monarchs, but male still should stand before female in the order of succession.

Congratulations, Japan, for your prince Hisahito!

Last edited:
I saw a video at youtube called "Akishino's Family Sixteen Years Special video". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCkNrakyd5s&mode=related&search=

The video is in three parts and approximately 5 minutes each.

I have posted an inquiry at youtube for information on how I could get a copy of the video myself. In the meantime I thought I would try here at the forum to see if anyone has information on this video and how to acquire a copy.

Thank you for your help.

Congratulations to Japan and the Imperial Family for the newborn Prince Hisahito. I was a litle bit upset that the baby is boy. But then I think if this is the best for them, why should we go againts it? Maybe I don't really understand about the Japan's constitution but I just hope that CP Naruhito's family, Prince Akishino's family, and all of the IF will live a better and happier life now on. though personally I'd like to see Princess Aiko to be an Empress, I also want her to have a happy and normal life without any pressures on her shoulder. So whoever the next heir, I hope he/she will be a great leader that will lead the IF and Japan's people to live their live in peace and harmony, and whatever happened to CP's family (esp. Princess Aiko) I will still love and support them.

New prince not end to succession crisis--Japan palace chief
Japan's imperial palace chief has warned that last week's birth of the first male heir to the Chrysanthemum Throne in four decades still does not resolve
the imperial family's looming succession crisis, an official said Wednesday....Imperial Household Agency Grand Steward Shingo Haketa said the royal family's future is still shaky.
"Even though the prince is born, that does not take away the problem over the stability of imperial succession," he was quoted as saying by Imperial Household Agency spokesman Yasuo Moriyama on Wednesday....
http://newsinfo.inq7.net/breakingnews/world/view_article.php?article_id=20738

Prince named Hisahito in hopes of calm, long life
...Fumihito and Kiko took care to choose a character that had not been used in the imperial family before, and spent the summer considering several possible names--both for a girl and a boy.
The couple sought advice from the emperor and empress as well as scholars of Japanese and Chinese literature before coming to a decision the day before the actual naming ceremony, according to the agency....
http://www.asahi.com/english/Herald-asahi/TKY200609130140.html

TV Timer: Shows tie catfish to birth of prince
...But much of the TV coverage showed joy around the nation, including dances, cheers, people parading with lit paper lanterns, and children hoisting carp streamers to celebrate the birth.

Speaking of fish, a restaurant that serves catfish and an aquarium were also featured on the programs. Prince Fumihito and Princess Kiko had visited those two places for dates before their marriage. Fumihito is known for his interest in catfish and now has an academic interest in poultry. Anything associated with the family of the new prince was aired, including the type of teddy bear once cherished by Princess Mako, one of the new prince's two sisters. The teddy bear is being resold with a baby cap and a bib to mark the birth of the baby boy....
http://www.asahi.com/english/Herald-asahi/TKY200609130137.html

Prince Hisahito will be leaving the hospital on Sept. 15, 2006.
For more info pls go to this thread

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom