Prince Akishino & Princess Kiko Old Photos 1

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Prince Aya, as a junior school pupil, in a playful mood during the official reception at the Imperial family.
His grandparents (Emperor Showa and Empress Kojun), parents and big brother are amused.:)

**Pic**

Such an interesting picture, it's strange to me to see Kiko with long hair, I'm just so use to seeing her with her present short hair.

What an interesting picture, I'd never seen it before.
Certainly, not your typical Prince and Princess-to-be. :)
Exactly, that is why I thought it interesting to post it. :flowers:

Actually, Grandduchess, Princess Kiko wore long hair for quite some time, also after her marriage.
4 (Here the hair is at middle length, that must be around the time of Kako´s birth.)

Interesting photo; why is she the only woman there? :ermm:
That is a very good question, imo. :excl: But unfortunately I really have no clue.

Last edited:
Interesting photo; why is she the only woman there? :ermm:

But she looks so contented and happy.

This could have been an outing with the ornithology club that they were members of when they were at university. Perhaps not that many young women were interested in birds! (Just guessing, you'll need someone who can read Japanese well to read the caption)

Yes, at that time she must have been engaged to the prince but not married. You see that from their positions: the father in front, the mother a bit behind and then the daughter. After the wedding Kiko was above her parents in rank, she would then never be found to be standing behind them for a formal photo.

I freely admit that I am completely charmed, too, by young Kiko and her sweet smile. Pic
This pic is one of my favourites. :wub: This one is also quite nice.
Baby Kiko and Kiko as a child

But although she is still a very beautiful woman, I find her smile nowadays often a bit frozen. Pic No surprise, probably...

Last edited:
Kiko was an adorable baby and a very beautiful, charming young lady.
Most royals have forced smiles; the pressure of being in public eyes 24/7 and constant evaluations have to be quite exhausting. Of course, those marrying into the Imperial Family have other issues to tackle as well.

Most royals have forced smiles; the pressure of being in public eyes 24/7 and constant evaluations have to be quite exhausting. Of course, those marrying into the Imperial Family have other issues to tackle as well.
I do not think that it is possible to say it any better....

SEPTEMBER 12, 1989:
Prince Akishino (L) and Kiko Kawashima attend a press conference on their engagement on September 12, 1989 in Tokyo, Japan.

Princesses Mako and Kako

Because of an exchange in the Princess Masako´s adjustment disorder-thread, I have tried to find rather informal pics of the Akishinos and, so far, have found the following:

Kiko and Fumihito before marriage

At Gakushuin (Incidentally, right in front there is Yoshiki Kuroda, now the husband of former Princess Nori)

Informally dressed

Skiing: 1 ** 2

Around the time of their engagement, I suppose

Engagement press conference

Wedding

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Just married: 1 ** 2[/FONT]

I have not found any really spontaneous pictures of the two (without children) in later years, but several photos are still interesting: 1 ** 2 ** 3

A couple of pics of the Akishino couple from the nineties (bottom right is the “scandalous” wedding photo for making which the photographer was thrown out of the press club) Nearly all of these show what strikes me as characteristic of the couple: She permanently looks at him, but he, although he is obviously aware of that (and maybe even expects it), does not look back.

With their little children

With Mako 1 ** 2
With Mako and Kako 1 ** 2 ** 3
Akishino with his son

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]A periodical title, obviously featuring the Akishino family.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif](I cannot help remarking that Hisahito gets as much space there as his two sisters together...)[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Article featuring Mako´s birth[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Baby Fumihito[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Akishino looking really nice (if even I say that, it is probably true...;))[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Young Kiko[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Kiko with her father[/FONT]

I dont see the need for announcing mako's birth on national television.
Because, IMO, instead of being indifferent, leave alone celebrating, Japanese actually mourn the birth of a Princess..:sick::angry:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom